what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went to Wed practice round at the Masters and got home Thursday to find my 93 year old mom on her living room floor. Lost her balance and fell, breaking left hip and shoulder. She was on the floor all night which makes me sick. Had surgery on her hip today and came through just fine. Her shoulder will heal up on it's own. She's resting well and I'm headed back up for another night with her.

She has been an amazingly healthy woman, but obviously at 93 she shouldn't live by herself anymore. I called her twice a day while I was gone and a neighbor called her as well. She just happened to fall during the worst time period possible. I hate I pushed our good luck to this point.

Oh I'm so sorry to hear this Dawg! Such a stressful thing for you both to go through.

It is very common for elderly people to fall and break a hip, a shoulder or an arm. Sadly, it is nearly unavoidable, unless their movement is restricted.

Extremely common. Don't fault yourself. The older you get, the higher your chances something like this will happen. Even if someone were with her, it could have very well still have happened...falls happen fast. :flowers:

Mom broke her wrist at Christmas and had to have it surgically repaired. Just as she was starting to be able to drive again, dad got a bad bout of diverticulitis and had to have emergency surgery a couple days ago and had 4 inches of his colon removed. I also feel horrible that I'm not there to help them out. So, I feel for you Dawg. I've been calling them several times a day since I found out about Dad and have expressed that regret to them, but they've said to me that even if I was there, all I could do is sit and worry about him, and that doesn't do anyone any good. If mom still couldn't drive, it would have been a different story. She's 74, dad is 75, and until the past few months both of them have been doing very well health wise. I have 3 siblings, and we are all living quite far away from them. Maybe the earthquakes, tsunami, and ailing parents are trying to send me a message: "time to high tail it outta Dodge".

R

Dawg, I am so sorry to hear about your mother's fall.

REWahoo said:
Dawg, you are a great son to your mom. Don't beat yourself up over this.

Hope she has a good recovery.

+1 REWahoo is right. You have done everything a mother could want so I hope you don't feel like this was your fault.

It is very common for elderly people to fall and break a hip, a shoulder or an arm. Sadly, it is nearly unavoidable, unless their movement is restricted.

So true. My mother was in a continual care facility with all the assistance, people checking on her, and everything in the world, and she still fell and broke her hip pretty badly. She was 92. Amazing how fast she was up and walking again after the hip replacement, just as always (but a little slower).

So sorry about your Mom . My Mom has had a lifeline button for years and it has really been worth it . Don't beat yourself up . Unfortunately old people fall a lot . I dropped my Mom at the entrance to the movies and by the time I had parked the car she had fallen and split her lip.

Woke up at 7 am when WIFE went to work. Friday is my regular day off.
Called in to my DoD agency for a tele-conference concerning the budget thing.
Surfed the web, posted on a couple of forums.
Watched TV, including the news, History Channel, etc.
Did 2 loads of laundry.
Drove to my favorite Mexican restaurant & picked up some chips & salsa.
Came back home & ate too many chips & too much salsa.
More TV & net surfing. Sick of the budget crap on TV.
Wife came home from work-talked to her, watched more boob tube.
Ate a little supper....
More TV....looked to see what movies are playing...plan to see Arthur tomorrow.
That's about it. My life's so exciting!!!!!!

Dawg, I hope your Mom gets well soon.

I drove down to the Barrett Jackson Auto Auction in Palm Beach and had a great day. Lots of great cars to look at. I just wish I could convince DW that I need another Muscle Car. (heh)

I watched the Red Sox beat the Yankees 9-6 today at the Legion. Mr B wore his Sox jacket in full flaming red and black colors. I am not usually into baseball, but the group of folks there watching and cheering and booing had me laughing so hard my face hurt. The bartender was playing devil's advocate and assigning seats as people walked in, based on team loyalty. Too funny! :LOL:
It was an excellent game, well played on both sides and no athlete drama or pompous behavior.

We went for a fish fry for dinner at another Legion. For $10.50, no tax, we were served a nice size piece of fried haddock, 3 huge scallops, and 3 butterflied jumbo shrimp, with a side of mac & cheese or fries, cole slaw or salad, and coffee or tea. I am STUFFED. I won't eat until tomorrow night. :nonono:

All in all a very good day. Oh, by the way, it didn't snow. :D

Today was another great day of ER, for me. :D

Slept until 10 AM, enjoyed a leisurely cup of coffee and puttered about the house a bit.

Then he picked me up on his way to the gym. I worked out for an hour and was really happy because I am getting stronger and can lift more. So is he. :D

After the gym, we went to a favorite restaurant and got a free lunch. Every 5th lunch is free, if you have a lunch card and get it initialed each time. And they say there is no such thing as a free lunch! :LOL:

After spending the afternoon together and running some errands, I came back to my house and made rice in my new rice cooker, which with fish makes a nice dinner. Enjoyed my new HDTV service until now. Got to exercycle for a half hour before bedtime to make my day complete. :)

If I have to look at the sandwich in your post much more I'm gonna blow up....I wants one but wont be near till next December....arg

So far today, the answer to the question would be "Not much". I woke up with a start this morning thinking I had forgotten to set the alarm for w*rk, but then realized it is Saturday.
I am meeting a cousin in Pittsburgh later today, though, for lunch at a Cambodian restaurant and a foreign film "Certified Copy". There is an art gallery next door to this theater so I will have to browse that a bit if time allows.

Yesterday I went to a morning class at the gym . Afterwards a group of us went out to lunch at a lovely spot on the beach overlooking the gulf . We always have a fun time when we get together . We gabbed & laughed for over two hours . The only problem I have with going out to lunch is the amount of food . I had to take more than half of it home .

Thanks for the warm wishes. The docs say she is doing well. Already getting her up a little. Now, time to put finishing touches on tax return while I have a little help at the hospital.

Besides tomato and lettuce....what else is there in your sandwich (we call it bocadillo). It looks like fried squid strips.....

No squid - - what you are seeing is fried shrimp seasoned with Cajun seasonings. We call this sandwich a po'boy or poorboy (and the history of that name is in the link).

The po'boy in the picture is from Smitty's Restaurant, the kind of restaurant that locals love and tourists hate because it isn't fancy or pretentious. In fact, the floors are so far off level that I always wonder if the table is going to slide away, and they have no official opening/closing hours. I have had po'boys at Smitty's many times. They are just like the photo - - so many shrimp that they overflow and are called an overstuffed po'boy.

Other than fried shrimp, it includes lettuce, tomato, mayonnaise, and a little onion, and comes with a pickle on the side. The bread is the most important ingredient in a good po'boy in my opinion, and it is always freshly baked French bread.

Last edited:
Legion Auxiliary fundraiser breakfast this morning, some socializing, then home to relax and digest.

I'm surfing while Mr B is playing DJ at his computer. I have a huge collection of digital music files from all decades and genres. He likes to search through the songs, pick a list of favorites (mostly 1960s British Invasion) to a playlist, then play them LOUD and sing along. In much younger years he sang and played base guitar in a rock band. His voice is still very good. :D

I almost forgot...it's 62F here today. :clap:Cloudy but I'll take that over the lower temps we've had lingering in the area.

Yesterday, picked up DD at the airport as her spring semester at university is over already. 2 years down, 2 to go. I'm at the airport again this morning heading to Manila for a meeting. Will be back on Weds night.

R

Got caught up on things before I go back to w*rk tomorrow...laundry, grocery shopping, a walk in delightful warm weather with the pooch. A friend stopped by and helped me to get my patio furniture out. I took my car to the Auto Spa.
The highlight of my day will be the sequel to "Upstairs, Downstairs" which will begin tonight on Masterpiece Theater.

Rode 81.7 miles on my bike (yay me) then soaked in hot bath. Training for a 100 mile ride on May 1. I'm beat.

Went down to DW's Olde Family Farm in VA with relatives. It's a gorgeous area but there's not much activity there, mostly farms. Had a fun time, played with the dog.

Out of the whole day this is my favorite picture. Two more steps and I'd have had noseprints on the lens.

Attachments

• Family Farm_04 09 11_0104 cropped.jpg
    Family Farm_04 09 11_0104 cropped.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 5
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom