what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2 consecutive visits from house guests have left. So, it is cleaning day and finally back to routine. How I do love my routine! So, woke up late around 9.30 am - very uncharacteristic of me but I must be really tired. Went for my regular gym (how I miss it!) and house cleaning now (thankfully, the hourly helper is doing it and I do the other things like changing bedsheets, laundry, etc). Cooked lunch and will be cooking dinner ( the recent eating outs are just too much to bear for my health and purse). So, trying to make it a real quiet week before Christmas and New Year comes with all the celebrations and eating out!

Finished my wrapping using only used paper from last year's presents. I'm sure this will turn the tide on that climate change thing.

LouisCKWrapping.jpg

BTW, Louis CK decided to self-publish his latest DVD, just selling it on his web site, LouisCK.com for $5, instead of the normal route, in which he'd get only a small portion of the higher sales price.

ChristmasTree.jpg

Finished my wrapping using only used paper from last year's presents. I'm sure this will turn the tide on that climate change thing.

Nah, doesn't work. My family has been doing that since the 1950's (that I can remember, probably since forever really). The powers that be still continued to pave paradise and put up a parking lot.

Nice tree!

I've been shopping.....now I remember why I do most of my Christmas shopping online.:D

Back at the gym after three days of missing it due to a cold. So good to be back.

Now, some house cleaning (not too bad with a 1700 square foot condo).

Then dinner: smokey tempeh stew with Swiss chard. After dinner, will finish the last two episodes of the Dexter DVD we have out from Netflix.

Sitting here restlessly shuffling papers and taking notes while awaiting the start of my father's conservator/guardian court hearing. The times, locations, and conference-call phone numbers have only changed twice in the last week.

75 minutes to go before we begin something that's taken over nine months and $10K to arrange.

Sitting here restlessly shuffling papers and taking notes while awaiting the start of my father's conservator/guardian court hearing. The times, locations, and conference-call phone numbers have only changed twice in the last week.

75 minutes to go before we begin something that's taken over nine months and $10K to arrange.

Hang in there. Hopefully it is done by the end of the day.

Skated magnificently for 2 hrs. Then gliding to the rink exit, 10 feet away, fell. Gracefully. At least I think so.

Hang in there. Hopefully it is done by the end of the day.
The judge agrees that I'm a conservator.

Or at least they're promising to send me a letter of appointment.

The good news is that I spent longer on hold (waiting for the show to start) than we did listening to the judge. Otherwise it was the type of court bureaucracy organized by The Three Stooges.

The probate judge congratulated Dad for having a son who was actually qualified to be a conservator. I hate to think of what the judge has to contend with in other hearings.

I'll update the geriatric financial management thread later. Gotta get ready to go to a friend's wedding. I'll be glad when this day is over.

Terrific, Nords! One more difficult task out of the way. Sounds like clear sailing ahead. :)

W**ked out at club (chest day). Taught my first Zumba class, never thought I'd learn salsa dancing at my age.

Enjoyed a lovely wedding reception at the Halekulani. We arrived before sunset and, for the first time in my life, I actually saw the green flash. The perfect combination of elevation, calm seas, clear skies, and suitable atmospheric conditions.

Yes, I was sober. Maybe that explains it...

We had a nice time but I regretted not bringing a longboard.

Enjoyed a lovely wedding reception at the Halekulani. We arrived before sunset and, for the first time in my life, I actually saw the green flash. The perfect combination of elevation, calm seas, clear skies, and suitable atmospheric conditions.

Yes, I was sober. Maybe that explains it...

We had a nice time but I regretted not bringing a longboard.

What a neat experience! I always heard about the green flash, but never saw it.

I remember the Halekulani from back in 1954, when we were tourists (before my family moved to the islands, when my father was first "scoping it out" with that in mind). It has probably changed a lot, although I have no idea. Back then, it was a series of small huts with a maze of winding tropical paths between them. We had our own hut. I also remember tables out by the water, where refreshments (for me) and drinks for the adults could be had while watching the surf. Haven't seen that hotel since that time.

Sounds like you had a pleasant day Nords. :)

As for my day....I spilled tomato soup on my tee shirt.

Last edited:
What a neat experience! I always heard about the green flash, but never saw it.
It was interesting. I've never read a technical explanation of it. It started as a pinpoint at the ocean horizon in the middle of the sun, and expanded up & out in an arc to the size & shape of the sun. It moved from a point to the edge of the sun's arc in about a second. And less than a minute later, the sun was down.

That pinpoint started out as red, and then quickly cycled through orange to yellow to green... just like the physics classes say it should.

I remember the Halekulani from back in 1954, when we were tourists (before my family moved to the islands, when my father was first "scoping it out" with that in mind). It has probably changed a lot, although I have no idea.
You wouldn't recognize the place. A 10-story stucco & terra cotta tower with smaller wings, huge open-air lobby, big grassy atrium for wedding photos. A spa, several high-end dining rooms, and a terrace for the reception.

They still have the beach tables (as in "there's a beach not too far away") with drinks & entertainment, though. Brook Lee was performing hula. Brook Lee - Official Website - Home

Reactions: W2R
I filled out my retirment papers. All I need is a few signatures from a witness or two, and I can mail them in.

Other than that, not much worth talking about.

Chilling in pj's, client at 4, hanging out with the bf and cats later :)

Took advantage of my Amazon Prime membership by watching episodes (free with membership) of the BBC sitcom "Coupling" to get some good chuckles.

Nords said:
That's a heckuva challenge, but we'd also like to hear about wrapping it and putting it under the tree...

I thought about wrapping it, but under the tree will be tough since our tree is in the basement. I'm going to try to shoehorn it into my workshop.

It's a good idea W2R, but she wouldn't read it. She only responds to impending crisis and my near-constant badgering, which is stressful for me and not exactly great for our relationship either.

To her credit, she is trying very hard to change, and I have seen a small amount of improvement in the almost 4 years I have known her. Also, she doesn't blame other people for her problems; she knows that she is the one that needs to change.

It's hard for her to plan financially beyond each Friday when she gets paid. As long as she has a couple of hundred dollars in her bank account, she'll tell me she can afford things because she "has money", regardless of what the financial obligations are that she has to meet later in the month. Financially, we are polar opposites.

I like her a lot. She's sweet, and good company, but the fact that she hasn't grown-up with regards to the way she handles money means that there are definite limitations to how our relationship can progress in the future.

Can she have money taken out of her pay and put directly into some sort of savings (401k, savings account at an inconvenient bank, etc) so when she "has money" it is AFTER the savings have been made? In other words, pay herself first.

For a time with I was much younger, I used to walk to a bank that was a bit inconvenient for me to get to, make a deposit to savings and then deposit the remainder to the bank that I had my day-to-day savings and checking at because I knew myself and I knew that if it hit my regular accounts it would be spent. While it sounds a bit silly, it worked.

Today I finished splitting firewood. I now have about 5.5 cords, and that should keep us heated through next year. All free.

Working my my 2012 budget. Got a good part of it done, but waiting until end of December's numbers to massage my budget allotments for 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom