what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woke up early this AM (at least, quite early for me) to the sound of... applause outside the window. Applause! What the heck? I looked outside to see the leaders of the Honolulu Marathon jogging by. Several neighbors were gathered on the street to cheer the folks on. They kept at it even when it was only the "also ran" crowd. By 10:30, when we left the house, there was a steady stream of folks running by and the applause had ceased. I suppose hands got tired after a while. Returning home at 3:00PM there were still some stragglers trudging by (not in front of the house but further down the course).

I recall being in Waikiki one year following the Marathon, watching participants doing "tourist stuff", still wearing their ID numbers. Talk about some zoned-out people. My guess is their glycogen levels were off-the-chart low and they were walking on autopilot. Sorry. Not something I would have ever tried, but I gotta admire those who do. YMMV

Today was medical day for DH and I. My first appt was at a hospital to have an ultrasound of my thyroid. Second appt was for my mammogram and DH had an appt with his doctor. Then we met back up and went to get our shingles shots together. I think that I am good to go on my medical appts now. Keeping my fingers crossed that the ultrasound on my thyroid turns out good. My doctor said that it is probably nothing, but would help her sleep better at night to have the ultrasound done. I really like my doctor and would not want to interfere with her sleep, so I had it done.

Yardwork. For over two hours.

After that I dug up a leaky sprinkler valve and got ready to replace it. I'd bought the parts weeks ago and had everything laid out at the site.

That's when I realized that I'd bought a 3/4" valve for a 1" pipe.

The good news? I didn't paint today!

Our daughter returns home tomorrow afternoon for a three-week [-]surfing[/-] break...

3 loads of laundry, cleaned out litter boxes, picked up the house, one client, then writing out christmas cards....not even 9:30am yet!

This is a true story.

As a result of reading this post, and this post, and then myself joking about it here, I had the baddest dream this morning.

In my dream, I was walking in between buildings of my former megacorp, when I noticed people looking strangely at me. And, then, I realized, well you guessed it, I was stark naked!

And I did not even have anything in my hand to cover myself like T-Al here.

So, all I could do was to cover, umm... myself with my hands, acted cool, and tried to walk quickly into a building. I remembered asking myself what I should do next after entering the building, when I woke up.

OMG! I may have to stop spending so much time in this forum. All this is getting to me!!!

PS. How did W2R hypothesize that 50% of forum posters had no pants on when posting? 50%!!! I would never guess that high.

Could it be that ER.org website manages to download a webcam take-over virus onto members' PC? Or she has some other statistics or info that she's not sharing? Or could it be simply that about 50% of forum posters are ER'ed, with the remaining still working, and as ReWahoo wrote, the ER'ers do not need no stinkin' pants?

How did I guess? Hmmm.... I wonder..... :D

6978-albums71-picture509.jpg

The cleaning lady and the plumber.....

This was yesterday, because unlike most of you I still have a j*b.

Came home to a sparkling clean demesne as the cleaning lady had been. She left a note on the kitchen counter: "I'm really sorry. I dropped a rag in the toilet and I couldn't get it out. It's flushing really slowly."

:eek::eek::eek:

Enter the plumber. Luckily the Shop Vac worked; otherwise he would have had to lift the toilet. $160 later......the cleaning company will be reimbursing me.

Well, at least the cleaning lady disclosed the error.....

I am thinking maybe it would be easier to do this myself than to clean up after such a cleaning lady!!!!

I was walking into my grocery store when I saw a sign for donating blood so I did . Thanks Khan you are a good influence !

I sat in the living room watching the rain fall and Mr B catch some well deserved rest. He is done with school for 4 weeks. He is pretty sure he will get all A's for the 4 courses he took.
I am VERY PROUD of him. :)

I am going through my xmas decorations boxes. I am giving away some lights, a fake 4' tree and some fake pine branches, a small garland, some glass bulbs I handpainted years ago but do not need with a smaller tree, etc etc.
I will drop them off to a friend who is a bit down on his luck financially. He was injured in an auto accident several months ago and still cannot return to w*rk. His disability claim is in limbo. His ex-GF took all his xmas decorations when they broke up. How mean. :mad:
So I am playing Elf and setting him up with some basic stuff so he can have a nice little tree at his house. :flowers:

......"I'm really sorry. I dropped a rag in the toilet and I couldn't get it out. It's flushing really slowly."...............

I sympathize. I once did the same thing, forgetting that the rag was in the bottom of the bucket. The rag lodged in the pipe going into my septic tank, essentially shutting down the whole house until I removed the toilet and got a snake run down the pipe. :blush:

I sat in the living room watching the rain fall and Mr B catch some well deserved rest. He is done with school for 4 weeks. He is pretty sure he will get all A's for the 4 courses he took.
I am VERY PROUD of him. :)

I am going through my xmas decorations boxes. I am giving away some lights, a fake 4' tree and some fake pine branches, a small garland, some glass bulbs I handpainted years ago but do not need with a smaller tree, etc etc.
I will drop them off to a friend who is a bit down on his luck financially. He was injured in an auto accident several months ago and still cannot return to w*rk. His disability claim is in limbo. His ex-GF took all his xmas decorations when they broke up. How mean. :mad:
So I am playing Elf and setting him up with some basic stuff so he can have a nice little tree at his house. :flowers:

What a very nice thing to do.

Gave the dog a bath today, thats about the only productive thing I've done.

Now that I am officially off the crutches and released from further visits to my orthopedic surgeon, I have started going to the gym again. The first week was painful, but I like the activity now. Have been doing 30 to 40 minutes on the recumbent bike and then another 20 to 30 minutes on the elliptical. That machine is a killer, but both are low impact on the ankle.

My other new hobby is cleaning up around the house and posting stuff on Craig's List. Have unloaded about 5 items so far.😄😄

Time to take out the trash an then get the grill ready to cook some hamburgers.

Happy holidays and Merry Christmas to all.

DotLeib, welcome to the forum. Sorry to hear that your husband is not well. When you have the time, I would encourage you to post an introduction in the "Hi, I am..." section, so that others here can get to know you. :)

Took DD to the airport for her vacation to Germany, then DW and I went to Costco, then home. Did a bit of holiday shopping online. Easy day.

I tried to consolidate my United and Continental frequent-flyer accounts.

45 minutes on hold with the Continental "customer service" line. The truth is that I thought I'd hung up after listening to the 30-second ad loop a few times, and I didn't discover my presbyopic mistake for another 43 minutes.

After swapping e-mail, we're now at the point where they want me to snail-mail them scans of my IDs. Continental's had my name wrong in the system for over 15 years, but not until now do they actually give a crap.

Only 25K miles in the Continental account and only 42K in the United one, but I'm pretty sure that if I don't take care of this now then they'll both make me miserable the next time I try to fly.

Due to an unexpected turn of events, DW and I learned today that we might become West Coast residents.

Where are you goin'? Looks like a career move for DW. May be time for you to get a change of scenery from 'bama anyway.

Where are you goin'? Looks like a career move for DW. May be time for you to get a change of scenery from 'bama anyway.

I'll say more if/when it becomes official. :) We haven't made a decision yet.

Last edited:
I tried to consolidate my United and Continental frequent-flyer accounts.

45 minutes on hold with the Continental "customer service" line. The truth is that I thought I'd hung up after listening to the 30-second ad loop a few times, and I didn't discover my presbyopic mistake for another 43 minutes.

After swapping e-mail, we're now at the point where they want me to snail-mail them scans of my IDs. Continental's had my name wrong in the system for over 15 years, but not until now do they actually give a crap.

Only 25K miles in the Continental account and only 42K in the United one, but I'm pretty sure that if I don't take care of this now then they'll both make me miserable the next time I try to fly.

They are really effed up. I fly all the time on Continental/United and I have to call them once a month and make them credit me (flight by flight) for the miles I earned. I would switch to Frontier, but my estimation is that they will not be around for the long haul.

Flew home last night and walked in the door after 10. So ends a period where I have been on the road 6 out of the last 7 weeks. Ugh. Now I get to avoid travel for the next month and then the travel schedule should be a lot lighter/more sporadic.

Today I took the kids to school and did the housework that always seems to be waiting for me upon my return from a trip. Will go pick up my new revolver later on and DW and I will assemble our new kitchen table this afternoon. Tonight will be homemade pizza night with the kids and a lot of today will be a bit of recovery from all the travel. I cannot express how much better I feel with blue skies and lots of sunshine (no matter how cold it is) vs. Midwestern grey all the time ad working in a windowless room all day.

Finished up the holiday letter that we send out to friends and family. Decided to go green and send it by email where possible so I had to update the holiday card list with email addresses. Refilled the log carrier by the house from the wood pile out back.

I spent the day with my DH, DD, DS-in-law and precious 3 yr old granddaughter from San Diego CA. They rang the doorbell about 10:15 PM last night. They had told us that they were going to try to come home (WV) in Jan and we could celebrate Christmas then. They have known they were coming home for Christmas since October. Best Christmas surprise that I have ever had in my life. I had not seen them since beginning of 07/11 and it has been such a long 5 months. They are over visiting the other grandparents now and I can't wait for tomorrow, so that we can play again. They are home until 12/28, so life is good. Merry Christmas everyone!

Lawyer work for Monday's probate court hearing for my father's conservatorship/guardianship. The good news is that I can dial in for the hearing. The better news is that we're almost across the finish line.

Our daughter's home from college, but the only way we can really tell is by the dirty laundry & personal electronics scattered in her wake. She's catching up with friends and we're hosting them for dinner tomorrow. That should be fun-- one of them is an ensign (NROTC grad three months ago) aboard the USS HOPPER, a BURKE-class destroyer.

Due to an unexpected turn of events, DW and I learned today that we might become West Coast residents.
I'll say more if/when it becomes official. :) We haven't made a decision yet.
This sounds like every conversation that spouse and I ever had with the military's assignment officers.

Will go pick up my new revolver later on and DW and I will assemble our new kitchen table this afternoon.
That should be interesting. I figure most homeowners use a pair of pliers, maybe a wrench or a screwdriver...

Got this note in the tip jar last night:

TipJarNote.jpg

As I was unfolding it, I was wondering whether it would be a phone number.

But it is indeed the thought that counts. Very nice gig.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom