Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 09-17-2011, 03:58 PM   #8521
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Since DH is out of town, my sleeping habits have changed. Got up at 10 am, then took a nap at noon.

Been catching up on Twilight Zone episodes and taped some decent horror flicks. I've already watched a few of those scary movies, but the most disturbing program I've seen so far is Toddlers and Tiaras. Unflippin' believable.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2011, 06:18 PM   #8522
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Ran a half marathon this morning. Fantastic weather -- just perfect. 53 degrees at the start, and 67 at the finish. I'm slow, in case that seems odd. DW did the 10K, which was her first race ever, and we both had an excellent time.
USAF Marathon?

Old 09-17-2011, 06:19 PM   #8523
Moderator Emeritus

Donated blood (#176) and they gave me a free flu shot.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:15 PM   #8524
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I find myself clowning with my G-daughter the same way he clowned with me. At first, I had no idea where I was getting it, but later I realized I had received it with love from him, and was sending it with love to her, 65 years later. And she giggles the same way I did back then.
You're a sweetheart Gramps. I aspire to be able to do the same with my future grandkids.

What is a plumcrat? Googled it and it asked if I meant Plumcot, but I'm not sure as it seems that a new fruit hybrid shows up every other year or so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumby View Post
My old HP Laserjet 4L was having paper feed problems, so I disassembled and cleaned it thoroughly. Treated all the rubber rollers with Gummi-pflege and fixed a sticky relay. Appears to be working again.
I had to Google Gummi-pflege. Neat stuff, might have to buy some for the wife's new used BMW. It's a BMW shop item with many applications.

That was our adventure yesterday - car shopping. Buying her a nice car was something on my to-do list, and it also allowed me to do some educating on more things financial. She did great, and other than a few "women can change their minds" moments that caused us both a little stress, the experience was awesome. She knew all the tricks beforehand, and resisted all efforts to bump her off the price she was going for.

It was fun watching her eyes widen when the salesman acted like we were just going to accept his price and go walk to the F&I guy to write a check. There was a moment of panic when she asked, "what happened to the price negotiation?", and he replied, "that part is pretty much over - we're not making hardly any money on this car at that price." I almost snickered when she told him they weren't going to make any money if she walked, and she was ready to walk over that. I was real proud of the girl.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:42 PM   #8525
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post
I had to Google Gummi-pflege. Neat stuff, might have to buy some for the wife's new used BMW. It's a BMW shop item with many applications.
I originally got it for the rubber door/hood/trunk seals on my Z3, but it seemed to be the appropriate product for printer rollers as well.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:00 PM   #8526
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I plan to do outings regularly, as in at least several times a month, though it will be harder when the rains come.

I find myself clowning with my G-daughter the same way he clowned with me. At first, I had no idea where I was getting it, but later I realized I had received it with love from him, and was sending it with love to her, 65 years later. And she giggles the same way I did back then.

Ha
What a great outing ! I love my grandson but due to distance visits are limited to a few a year but they are concentrated and we have lots of fun.
Grandchildren are the best treasure you can have !
Old 09-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #8527
Moderator Emeritus

We signed up for this, but... groan.

The contractors have demolished our old familyroom roof & back lanai. The new roof beams are up and about half of the rafters are up. (That's really good!) Next Monday they should finish with the rafters and start thinking about putting on the the planked ceiling.

However that planked ceiling is 1152 sq ft (more or less) of painting that's a lot easier to do on the ground than over our heads. So when the contractors finish cutting a beam or a rafter, we've been priming it. Spouse had to push pretty hard to keep up last weekend (I was on travel!) but this weekend even two of us are hard-pressed.

Thursday evening we got rained out. Friday evening we barely finished painting eight 4x8s (256 sq ft) before sundown (and getting them under cover before more rain). Today we've finished another 256 sq ft (back under cover before the rain) and in another 15 minutes we're goin' in for the second set. If we do this on schedule (rain permitting) then we should be finished by late Sunday afternoon.

On Monday we're going to be scampering up onto the remains of the old roof (among the already-primed new beams & rafters) to try to paint the final color (while the access is easier) before the ceiling goes on. Then on Tuesday they're going to be cutting grooves into all 36 4x8s (for that planked-ceiling look that's already in our livingroom) and of course those grooves will need primer before the whole sheet gets a coat of color.

Doing the painting by ourselves is saving a lot of money & time, as well as making us feel that it's getting done right. But the last time we've done this amount of painting under time pressure was easily 15 years ago, and this time it takes a lot more ibuprofen...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:55 PM   #8528
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Yesterday was a granddaughter day.
Quote:

Ha
What a lovely post, Ha!
Old 09-18-2011, 06:45 AM   #8529
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ran a half marathon this morning.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
USAF Marathon?
Yep. Best organized, most impressive race I've ever seen.
And the flyovers were awesome. B1B, F-15s, Wright Flyer, etc.
What a show!
Old 09-18-2011, 11:29 AM   #8530
Give me a forum ...

Busy busy busy here.
I did my Friday night table bussing routine. I can really feel the muscles in my legs and upper body toning up from 4 hours of rapid walking around 2 dining rooms and carrying loads of dishes to and fro. I'm careful not to carry too much at a time until I am in better shape. Only 1 broken dinner plate so far.
Yesterday I set up my repaired Playstation 3. I need to figure out how to configure it with the existing wireless network in the house. I've never done this, so it will be a good mental challenge.
Mr B is still at the books, for hours on end. He is staying right on track with reading and assignments.
I'm going to get out of the house today and go play some pool and darts with friends. Mr B needs the house nice and quiet.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:09 PM   #8531

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonidas View Post

I had to Google Gummi-pflege.
So did I. My first thought was it was a baby Gumby or some other type of offspring.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:22 PM   #8532
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Yep. Best organized, most impressive race I've ever seen.
And the flyovers were awesome. B1B, F-15s, Wright Flyer, etc.
What a show!
The flyovers woke me up.
Old 09-18-2011, 06:23 PM   #8533
Moderator Emeritus

Put two loads of laundry on line today.
Old 09-18-2011, 09:23 PM   #8534

I'm an usher at a summer concert venue and last night was a sold out Jason Aldean concert. I never heard of him, he's a country artist. Sounded great and the crowd was pretty nice. Saw a lot of beer drinking and many wobbly fans. The temperature got down to mid 50's by the time it was over and today I'm sore from standing on concrete for 5 hours.

Last Tuesday the concert was Blink-182. They are hard to describe, maybe 90's rock band with a sense of humor. Instead of working as an usher the Security dept needed help so I worked for them and I had the best spot in the venue. I was posted outside of the drummer's dressing room. He's Travis Barker, very well known in the drumming world. I had to check the security passes for anyone going into his dressing room. He had a drum set in there and I got to hear his warm up which was fantastic. He's got a distinctive style. His band mate came by for a chat and the band in the next hallway was My Chemical Romance which I have heard of but I don't know their music.

When it was time for Blink-182 to go on stage Mr. Barker walked out with his bodyguard and waved his sticks at me. Nice!

I usually usher for The Cleveland Orchestra concerts at this venue but at the end of the season when all the college kids leave I'll work a few of the rock or country shows. There is one more on Wednesday and then we are done for the season.
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #8535

We were going to go to an air show on Sunday at Martinsburg Airport but that was canceled because of a crash the day before. Not as much press as the one in Reno but no less tragic.

So we had a lazy/late starting day and went to Greenbriar State Park in Maryland and walked around for a few hours.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:05 PM   #8536

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
We were going to go to an air show on Sunday at Martinsburg Airport but that was canceled because of a crash the day before. Not as much press as the one in Reno but no less tragic.

So we had a lazy/late starting day and went to Greenbriar State Park in Maryland and walked around for a few hours.
There seems to have been a rash of fatalities recently. We lost Amanda Franklin earlier this year. Her husband Kyle, who was piloting the Waco that crashed is already performing again in a Super Cub.

We are airshow fans and usually attend several each year. Currently on the calendar, CAF in Midland/Odessa and a couple of weeks later, Ft Worth Alliance.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:45 PM   #8537
Give me a forum ...

Last night DH got home from a bike trip to New Mexico with his buds (first pic buds only, DH is not in the photo). The guy on the left owns a restaurant, the one in the middle is an electrical engineer and yes, the guy on the right is a TX state trooper.

While they were there, a parade of bikers went through town. The other pics are of the more colorful parade riders.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC02582.jpg (503.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02599.jpg (517.5 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02600.jpg (465.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg DSC02603.jpg (647.4 KB, 6 views)
Old 09-19-2011, 03:02 PM   #8538
Give me a forum ...

In SLC Utah today. Hotel tonight and will update the blog.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:05 PM   #8539
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
While they were there, a parade of bikers went through town. The other pics are of the more colorful parade riders.
Aw, c'mon. We all know that is hubby on the trike, in the wig.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #8540
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
The guy on the left owns a restaurant, the one in the middle is an electrical engineer and yes, the guy on the right is a TX state trooper.
So, the trooper has a picture taken of the 'days catch' right before they're loaded up and hauled off? Cool. I've always heard Texas is a friendly state.

...open up your mind and see like me...
Closed Thread