what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a this bird feeder. Works for doves and large nasty birds.

Heritage Farms Bird's Choice Squirrel Proof Feeder
The Heritage Farms Bird's Choice Squirrel Proof Feeder features a weight sensitive metal perch that closes access to the seed tray when squirrels attempt to feed. The attractive spring operated perch is adjustable to allow or exclude large, heavy birds as well as squirrels. A seed baffle design reduces wasted seed and helps keep the feeder area clean. The reservoir has a large 6 quart capacity and the clear plastic reservoir windows make the seed level visible at all times. The feeder's TopLoc feature holds the top open when filling, allowing you to replenish seed one-handed. The feeder has a durable speckled-green powder-coated steel construction that will last for years to come. This feeder may be hung with the included 13" bracket hanger, pole mounted on a 0.75" to 1.75" diameter pole, or placed on a 4" x 4" post using the included adapter. Five year guarantee.

I have the same one. I think I want to convert it into a squirrel trap.

Attachments

• DSC02923.jpg
    DSC02923.jpg
    378.1 KB · Views: 2
  • DSC04362.jpg
    DSC04362.jpg
    413.7 KB · Views: 2
I've been trying to photograph our brown quail family for several weeks. Every afternoon they've been hopping up our back steps and strolling through our yard looking for whatever brown quail eat. Now the young ones are fully grown and I'm sure the parents will be empty-nesters (literally!) soon. Yesterday I heard two of the males bickering from the backyard down slope. I knew the flock would be coming up the steps to our lanai, so I quietly brought the camera to the back lanai. I sat down in a chair, focused the camera on the top of the steps, and froze in place. The chattering continued for several minutes but I never saw any quail heads.

But they saw me. A couple minutes later the yard went silent. Then suddenly, without warning, all five of them catapulted over the top of the steps about 10 feet into the air and flew over the back lanai. Of course I couldn't reframe the shot. Heck, I barely even moved the camera before they were gone.

If I ever want to get a photo I'm just going to have to set the camera on the lanai, turn it on, and go back inside the house...

This morning I noticed a mejiro had hollowed out one of our papaya and practically turned it into a bird house. So I picked eight of them (papaya, not mejiro) even though they're probably not quite ripe enough to be picked.

Went to see Macy Gray and Seal in concert yesterday. He is such a nice man. We went early to picnic on the lawn and they were rehearsing, when they finished he came out into the lawn area to say hello and chat. Great show.

I was dozing in bed about 6:30 am this morning and I heard a "snap" - squirrel number 3 bites the dust. About 5 minutes later I thought I heard a squirrel chattering in the spruce tree adjacent to the house! Calling for its fallen comrade I suppose.

I hope that they are a learning creature and have learned that it is life-threatening to get near my bird feeder. Seems unlikely though.

Anyway, my plan is to put the trap away for now until I see a squirrel on the "squirrel resistant" bird feeder.

BIL and family from TN were here yesterday along with two local BILs, we had a nice time.

Last edited:
As we waited in line yesterday for the show I overheard the folks behind us map out the following strategy when the gates opened:

When we get past the gates half of us go to the right, half go to the left, and the rest cut across the lawn. Whoever gets the best spot stay there.
I have no idea how that worked out...

...About 5 minutes later I thought I heard a squirrel chattering in the spruce tree adjacent to the house!

They were probably talking about a plan to do this.

what-doesnt-kill-you.jpg

I've been trying to photograph our brown quail family for several weeks. Every afternoon they've been hopping up our back steps and strolling through our yard looking for whatever brown quail eat. Now the young ones are fully grown and I'm sure the parents will be empty-nesters (literally!) soon. Yesterday I heard two of the males bickering from the backyard down slope. I knew the flock would be coming up the steps to our lanai, so I quietly brought the camera to the back lanai. I sat down in a chair, focused the camera on the top of the steps, and froze in place. The chattering continued for several minutes but I never saw any quail heads.

But they saw me. A couple minutes later the yard went silent. Then suddenly, without warning, all five of them catapulted over the top of the steps about 10 feet into the air and flew over the back lanai. Of course I couldn't reframe the shot. Heck, I barely even moved the camera before they were gone.

Yesterday I had 6 adult Gambel's Quail tag teamed by 37(yes I counted) little ones. In my neighborhood we call the small guys popcorn of the desert, cause everything is out to eat them. I have had a female Painted Bunting coming around, I do hope that daddy makes a showing.

Today I said goodbye to a dear old friend.

Last edited:
......and Hello to my new CRV! This is one cool vehicle. Thanks Moemg, your input was very helpful.

Last edited:
Finally get to post this...I wrote most of it this morning but had to conserve electrons.

I feel powerless today...:(

...we had a heck of a thunderstorm last night. Power went out at 1230 AM. We sat in the living room by candlelight at 3 AM. I went back to bed, with Mr B on duty waiting for the sun to come up so I could go out and get the generator going. I boiled water on the gas stove, and made coffee using a kitchen funnel, coffee filter, and catch bottle.
Power is out in several sections of the county.

I had to disturb some cobwebs to remember how to do the generator thing. :angel:
I changed over the main electrical box to generator mode. I had not started the generator in over a year, so I added magic potion to the gas and refreshed myself (and taught Mr B) on how to start the darn thing up. It would not run consistently or smoothly, so while I fetched fresh gas from the shed, Mr B fiddled with the choke lever positions and got it purring like a kitten. He claims he is not mechanical. Yeah...uh huh.

Problem is...it runs great for about 45 minutes then runs rough and dies. Bad gas? Clogged fuel filter? :confused:

Freezer and refrig food is fine. I tried using the coffeemaker and quickly turned it off when I saw the kitchen lights dim. Ooops :facepalm:
I have 1 fan running just to move the air around. Generator is running too roughly to try using the AC.

Everyone close by but 6 houses (Murphy's Law :cool: ) had power by noon. Our power was finally restored at 630 PM. I spent the entire day running the generator, turning it off for a little while to troubleshoot its rough running and eventual (45 minutes) stalling out. The longest we went without generator power was 90 minutes. I had a haircut scheduled.

Moral of the story...always remember to turn the fuel line pitcock completely COUNTERCLOCKWISE. I had done a half-a** job of that.
I was so embarassed. :blush:

Tomorrow I am headed to Cayuga Lake, doing a nice long distance Mustang ride. Wooo hoooooo :dance:

Last edited:
Finally get to post this...I wrote most of it this morning but had to conserve electrons.

I feel powerless today...:(

Bummer. The rough running is no doubt crud in the carburetor. I'd take it apart and blow every passageway out with compressed air. Add fresh gas and readjust carb.

Or just go on a cool road trip and let someone else worry about it....:LOL:

Bummer. The rough running is no doubt crud in the carburetor. I'd take it apart and blow every passageway out with compressed air. Add fresh gas and readjust carb.

Or just go on a cool road trip and let someone else worry about it....:LOL:

Wonder if its running hot or something with oil. Bah yeah good idea let someone else worry about it :D

Got the keys to our new house today! Move in on Monday so busy packing, packing, packing :)

Nice! Good luck with the move!

We've done quite a bit this week. Walked 7 miles about town on Monday (had lunch in a restaurant overlooking the Bay), walked to the farmers market on Tuesday, toured some wineries in Napa yesterday (lunch at an awesome bistro), walked around downtown this morning (picked up our new, custom-made bedding), and for tomorrow a new Japanese restaurant for lunch followed by a few hours at the beach.

Training climb up the Sleeping Giant in preparation for climbing Mt. Washington next month. Now weathering the severe thunderstorms moving through the state.

Drove 1973 miles in two days. It was 55 degrees or so in Bandon Oregon and 105 on my front porch when I got home.

heh heh heh - love driving the 'back country' of Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc.

heh heh heh - :cool:

Returned home from a state baseball tournament where we watched our grandson's 9u team play eight games in five days - in the Texas heat. :p They finished in fourth place.

For the same distance, it would take me more than 1 week, preferably even longer, much longer. I would slow down and enjoy the scenery. In fact, even pull off the side of the road midday, take a walk along a stream, have lunch with wine, take a nap, etc... Even cook dinner and stay a night, if a spot looks interesting. Visit the nearby town.

Do you have a job to get back to?

Oh, I forgot that you do not have an RV!

Drove 1973 miles in two days. It was 55 degrees or so in Bandon Oregon and 105 on my front porch when I got home.

heh heh heh - love driving the 'back country' of Oregon, Idaho, Utah, Wyoming, Nebraska, etc.

Last edited:
For the same distance, it would take me more than 1 week, preferably even longer, much longer. I would slow down and enjoy the scenery. In fact, even pull off the side of the road midday, take a walk along a stream, have lunch with wine, take a nap, etc... Even cook dinner and stay a night, if a spot looks interesting. Visit the nearby town.

Do you have a job to get back to?

Oh, I forgot that you do not have an RV!

That and the fact that part of my brain has not grown up! I remember 1958 and how fast the family 1955 Pontiac V8 would roll on those back country roads.

I was walking the dog in the back yard today and noticed brown fur about 10 feet up a mulberry tree. On closer examination, it turned out to be a wood chuck nibbling on the berries. Weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom