what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was walking the dog in the back yard today and noticed brown fur about 10 feet up a mulberry tree. On closer examination, it turned out to be a wood chuck nibbling on the berries. Weird.

Groundhogs, foxes, bears, bobcats, cougars rattlesnakes, all like to climb trees. Guess, everyone walking in the woods will be looking up now.:LOL:

Today is my official retirement one year anniversary! A nice quiet day like most. Celebrate the great market performance today, read outside on the patio under the umbrella ( have rediscovered the library!), a few domestic chores, watering, laundry, dishes, and a quiet dinner with DW. Enjoyed a nice IPA from Trader Joes with dinner.

Much better than last year with the visit to the ER and emergency surgery to mend a broken ankle!

Hope the rest of the class of 2011 is faring well.

nook

Just got back from a "mini-vacation." My brother and I went to visit a cousin (93 years old) in a nursing home. She remembered relatives who traveled over the Oregon Trail in the 1800's, and we recorded the interview. It was very insightful to learn about the in-laws and outlaws of our family.

I had a great day. Picked up some English friends and headed down the Valley. We enjoyed the classic car museum (where the host showed us the rust buckets they are currently restoring), several neat and quirky wineries, the Desert Cultural Centre in Osoyoos, and many other favourite spots. They loved it. My new car rand like a dream. I am on vacation next week. Life is good.
:)

Went out intending to do some work on the motor home. Did not last long. Temperature at 88F, but full sunshine, and humidity at 57% (dew point at 71F). Of course, it is moonsoon season.

Came back inside, sweating bullets. How do people in the south and eastern half of the country handle humidity up to 90+% sometimes?

I am just going to stay here, and eat squirrels if things get bad. People in New Orleans can have all the nutria and crawdad there. I will not go there when the crud hits the fan to compete for these tasty morsels.

I remembered to log in here and say hello :greetings10:

I did stealth eating today. :cool:

Mr B has a routine colonoscopy scheduled for Monday AM. He is surviving on Powerade, black coffee and chicken broth. I felt guilty eating in front of him, so I went into the kitchen and ate in there. I am making things that have very little aroma so the smell of food doesn't drive him crazy.

He will start the 64 ounces of Gatorade and Miralax solution at 6 PM. I mixed it up for him and told him it almost feels like I'm pulling a dirty trick on him.
"Here, sweetie, drink THIS". ;)

I offered to strap a pillow and a seat belt to the toilet so he could sleep and "you know" :LOL: in the bathroom until the stuff w*rks through his system.
I got a look :mad: for that remark. Then he grinned at me for bringing some comedy into a not-so-fun starving day for him.
I'm trying not to smirk when Mr B disappears down the hallway. Poor guy! :(

Still gardening like crazy...I transplanted 4 very young Roma tomato plants into an Earthbox. If they grow fast enough [-]I douse them with Miracle Grow[/-] to develop blossoms and fruit outside before the end of September, I'll bring them inside under grow lights until the tomatoes ripen. I planted a few cucumber seeds to replace the older plants. My cucumber and bean harvest has been fabulous. I have sugar baby watermelons (the biggest is the size of a softball) growing on a vertical steel support. Their weight is supported by those netted bags you get store bought onions in. Peppers of all types are overtaking the free world :blink: but still not big enough for picking.

Last edited:
So, after resting a bit inside and contemplating things, I decided to tough it out once more and went out to continue the work on the motor home. It won't get cooler for a few months, and I need to finish this project.

As reported somewhere in this forum, my last RV trip through the western states showed that the new shocks and the added-on rear roll bar did help the handling of the RV in high crosswinds. But I wanted to take the last step, and that is to install a track bar, also called a Panhard rod. See this. This is the ultimate step, as there would be nothing else a guy could do for further handling improvement.

Other than having to drill two big holes through the 3/16" thick frame of the MH chassis, it was not too hard. I have cleaned up, taken a shower. I will take the MH for a spin later to see what another $400, one ounce of elbow grease, and a quart of sweat got meself. I probably will not be able to tell any difference until the next trip, with the toad in tow through gale-force cross-winds like up in Utah, Montana, and Wyoming.

I am so ready for the next RV trip. Gasoline is down to $3.10 now. Life is good.

........... I probably will not be able to tell any difference until the next trip, with the toad in tow through gale-force cross-winds like up in Utah, Montana, and Wyoming............

Maybe you could post a video of you going through the pylons with and without the track bar connected. :LOL:

I like your idea. I am sure such a video would be a big hit on the RV forums, if not here.

But hey, I was reading these RV forums, and so many guys with a class C had the same problem. One particular guy was driving a spanking new class C home from the dealer, and he said he was crying because the handling was so bad. And he said he already had many miles of experience on a 5th wheel. And this class C was unloaded, and not towing anything. And he posted asking for help.

And then, after he spent $2.2K to do the same improvements like I have, plus some front wheel alignment, he was so happy that on his test drive after leaving the RV shop, he went out on the freeway looking for 18th wheelers and let them pass him so he could keep seeing how good it was.

He said his class C now handled like his SUV! I don't know about that, but will see for myself later, I guess.

One thing immediately noticeable was when I tested by shoving the rear end of the MH left and right. If I excited the motion right at its resonance (about 1Hz) I could get the MH to shake its tail about +-2in. It is now a fraction of an inch. But of course the real test will be on the road.

PS. I am logging off now to go out to grill some steaks to reward myself for saving on mucho labor costs.

Last edited:
It's been a busy week of surfing & taekwondo with our daughter. When she gets back to college, and her friends ask her if she got enough surfing to last her until Christmas, she wants to be able to show them the tan line on her ankle from the board leash.

She also has a list. We've been working through six months worth of questions & projects like her tax returns, her absentee primary ballot, reviewing how to change the oil on her college car, learning how to add R-134, making her 2012 Roth IRA contribution, updating her budget... it's been a busy week of honey-do too.

It's also been a busy handyman week. We've been replacing all the receptacles & light switches in our house over the last few months, and we're about 90% there. All the putty fixtures (and their "country" cover plates) have been replaced with white. We also finally have an accurate list of what outlets & switches are on which breakers. That got a little exciting during our familyroom renovation last year, and now we've been through the whole house to minimize future excitement.

In the middle of that a friend's 23-year-old range finally burned (literally) through the socket connection of a coil burner. The electrical fire ran out of fuel after it scorched a few holes in the (plastic) socket, fused the (metal) connectors, and charred the insulation/wirenuts. Oddly enough the burner still worked (sort of) and the tenant only noticed the problem when she lifted the range top to clean underneath and saw the melted wirenuts. Yikes.

So now they have a new stove with a new 50-amp receptacle to match the 50-amp breaker. Much better.

Today a neighbor's hot-water shower faucet broke. The threads on the valve stem wore out and she couldn't torque it shut. Luckily it was the hot water so she was able to shut it off at the water heater. (I wonder why houses don't have isolation valves on the bathtubs/showers. They have them on the sinks, so why not the rest of the bathroom?) Unluckily it was at 5 PM on a Sunday, a day when the hardware stores close early. Luckily our local City Mill was open until 6 PM, and they know exactly which faucet valve models are used in our neighborhood. But I can tell that in a few months I'm going to have to go back and replace the seats in both faucets, so we're going to schedule that for a Tuesday morning when everyone's out of the house and I have plenty of time to recover from surprises.

Our daughter goes back to college on Friday to get ready for junior year. I predict a final week full of taekwondo, surfing, and a frantic flurry of last-minute packing.

......and Hello to my new CRV! This is one cool vehicle. Thanks Moemg, your input was very helpful.
Our daughter bought a '99 model a couple months ago, and now I see old CR-Vs everywhere. I hope this indicates that she's going to get another 20K-30K out of hers.

.....I wonder why houses don't have isolation valves on the bathtubs/showers. They have them on the sinks, so why not the rest of the bathroom?.......

Today they could. When we did our demolition and reconstruction we went all pex plumbing so I have a manifold in my utility room where I can turn off each single line in the house (toilet, bathroom sink hot, bathroom sink cold, tub/shower hot, tub/shower cold, etc). And for some reason we also included the typical isolation values for the toilets and sinks so if I have a leak there I don't have to sprint down the stairs to the utility room. Belts and suspenders.

I just returned from the tire shop. In April of 2011 I purchased a new set of BFGoodrich tires (5, including spare) for my RV. I learned Friday that Michelin (parent company of BFGoodrich and UniRoyal) was recalling 840,000 tires for safety defects, including the set I purchased.

The dealer replaced all five BFG Commercial T/A's with Michelin LTX M/S2. The date codes for the new tires are between 1412 (April) and 2412 (June), which is more than 18 months 'fresher' than my old set.

Bottom line: Better, newer tires for free. What's not to like? :)

I just returned from the tire shop. In April of 2011 I purchased a new set of BFGoodrich tires (5, including spare) for my RV. I learned Friday that Michelin (parent company of BFGoodrich and UniRoyal) was recalling 840,000 tires for safety defects, including the set I purchased.

The dealer replaced all five BFG Commercial T/A's with Michelin LTX M/S2. The date codes for the new tires are between 1412 (April) and 2412 (June), which is more than 18 months 'fresher' than my old set.

Bottom line: Better, newer tires for free. What's not to like? :)
Survivorship bias? :)

Survivorship bias? :)
Who, me? :rolleyes:

I think it only fair to point out that Michelin, who did a voluntary safety recall, says there have been no reported deaths or injuries from the recalled tires. I suspect the tire industry learned a very important lesson from the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco. Better to act proactively than face a disastrous negative publicity fallout and have lawyers lining up outside your door...

Who, me? :rolleyes:

I think it only fair to point out that Michelin, who did a voluntary safety recall, says there have been no reported deaths or injuries from the recalled tires. I suspect the tire industry learned a very important lesson from the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco. Better to act proactively than face a disastrous negative publicity fallout and have lawyers lining up outside your door...

Now that is a radial idea!

lurked...
reviewed last ten pages of WDYDT
am exhausted, just doing that.
we don't do Saturdays... always a plumbing problem at 5 PM

re: RV's Happy days... 1972 VW Westphalia... every public campground in IL and WI in the 80's. Original retirement plan was Class A Motor Home, and Campground Host.... Last three years of Corporate work was traveling (flying)7 major M.O. Districts Maine to Fl, to Oregon, CA, and Texas. Off hours spent going to public campgrounds.
Not to be.

Body surfing... Narraganset, RI, Daytona/New Smyrna, Martha's Vineyard, Popham Beach, ME. Gave away the boogie board in Feb, this year... sad.

Back to the Olympics. :)

Went strolling through Chinatown and spent a couple hours in a fantastic tea shop sampling all kinds of green and oolong teas. Learned a ton.

I took Mr B to get his *** checked. :LOL:
Everything is fine. :dance:

I couldn't resist testing his mental state in the recovery area by asking about a 3 month ocean cruise to Crete and back, all at his expense. He was fully lucid, darn it. I should have gotten to the recovery area earlier. :facepalm:

When I signed for his release, I joked with the staff about being put in charge of him for 24 hours. Opportunities like that only come once every few years. :D

He is safely home, in the recliner, watching a Rambo movie.
Stallone sure was a hottie in those days. :whistle:

Last edited:
Well, all you people are ACCOMPLISHING things and getting stuff done. I need to chime in here as a representative of those who are retired and yet who blissfully accomplished almost nothing today. So, here is my day:

Forgot to set my birdsongs alarm (which is a wonderful way to awaken), so I slept two hours later than usual. Oops. Two delicious, wonderful hours, I might add, so I definitely got some value out it.

Got up and found out to my great shock that I lost 3 pounds overnight. That makes 10 since mid-June. Now, I just need to repeat that a few times (quite a few).

Went to the gym, did my regular, usual workout, and my heart rate monitor says I used up half again as many calories doing it compared with Friday's identical workout. I don't get it! It's the same amount of weight-lifting. I know, I know, hrm's don't do a great job of figuring calories for weight lifting. Oh well, it's all good.

My BP is way down today, too, so my new BP meds must be kicking in.

After lunch and some shopping at Office Depot, we called it a day. I plan to rest and watch the Olympics tonight, and maybe play a video game that I like for a while. Overall, it has been a wonderful Monday, wouldn't you agree? :D

Left the office early for a doctor's appointment. Then took a four mile walk on the beach with the young wife. Came home and grilled kebabs for dinner.

Set the alarm so I could get in (most of) my 2-mile morning walk before a 9am haircut appointment (yes, I did shower in between). Did a few errands and then decided to clean out and reorganize the pantry while (sort of) watching various Olympic events from the DVR. DH returned from his haircut and we decided to celebrate our nice hair by going out to lunch. Unfortunately the Japanese place we picked is closed on Tuesdays. But I remembered seeing a good review for a nearby Chinese place so we tried it out. Excellent food and enormous portions - we'll be eating the leftovers for lunch for at least 2 more days.

Came home energized and finished the pantry makeover. Fed the goldfish in the pond and then enjoyed a well-deserved cold hefeweizen before cooking dinner - fresh creamer peas with barley, veggies and ham, plus fruit salad. Mmmm. More Olympics while I did the dishes and then knitted a few rows on the current prayer shawl. Enjoyed seeing the USA women gymnasts rock out their team competition for the gold - still sad about how the men fell apart on Sunday.

All in all - a great ER day. Amen!

Went to the gun store. Ordered a brand new shotgun for a hunting trip this fall. I had to chuckle at the questionnaire in my state. Couldn't believe how packed the place was at 1300. The cop browsing next to me said this was nothing. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom