what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Football, Football and more Football (all OTA Free TV :D)

Last edited:
Finished the move back to Texas from Vegas today. Knew I was home when my nose started itching from the ragweed. :)

Well, I'm a day late in this post but want to tell you what I did yesterday. Saturday was out 40th wedding anniversary. Our son came up from Naples and our daughter had made plans to have a family photograph made which we never had before. After that we went to dinner at our club, just our immediate family. It was a great day for all and we enjoyed having son and daughter together as it only happens a couple times a year. Son stayed overnight and then drove to Alphereta, GA. to visit his daughter.
It was just a great day for us as we enjoy family more than anything. Hope the next 40 years go as well as the first 40.

After a late start, just puttering, I went to Penticton for the afternoon. It was a beautiful day, 27 degrees C. While walking on the beach, I looked north up the lake and saw smoke between the mountains. A wildfire. It has been a quiet wildfire season. On my drive north towards home, I passed under the fire at Peachland about 2 1/2 hours ago. The highway has since been closed. There are water bomber aircraft and helicopters dumping water and retardant on the fire, but it's windy and apparently has spread rapidly. One home has already been lost. I live approximately 10 Km away but I am concerned as there was a huge fire across the lake in 2003 and it spread like.....wildfire. I think I'll pack an emergency tote now in case my area is evacuated.

B.C. wildfire forces evacuation of 1,500 people - British Columbia - CBC News

Yesterday I drove down to Olympia with my mom to check out two houses I saw on the MLS website. Sale of my house should be closing two weeks from tomorrow, so I can really start looking in earnest. One of the houses was a bank repo and vacant, so I had a good snoop around. The other house is still occupied, so I just drove by. The first house needs a lot of work, but the asking price is well under the total I will have available. The poor thing has been mistreated and needs some affection. It's the right size (just under 700 sq ft) and a very convenient location just up the block from a grocery store and many more conveniences within biking distance on flat terrain, but I need more info and a look inside to see if I want to take it on. The second house is priced right up around my budget amount, but didn't look as if it needed much done to it.

I played in our family golf tournament over the weekend - it was the 49th year. I played ok on Saturday and ended the day in a 3 way tie for the lead so I was in the last group on Sunday. After the 14th hole on Sunday I though I was out of it and resigned myself to just having fun the last 4 holes. I birdied the 15th, bogied the 16th, pared the 17 and doubled the 18th and called my wife when we got back to the clubhouse and told her it wasn't going to be me this year but I thought it would be between her brothers. About 5 minutes later after they crunched the numbers, I was informed that I won by 1 stroke. :dance:

Last won in 1999 so it has been a while.

Now I get to be the host for next year's tournament - 50th year.

Well, I'm a day late in this post but want to tell you what I did yesterday. Saturday was out 40th wedding anniversary. Our son came up from Naples and our daughter had made plans to have a family photograph made which we never had before. After that we went to dinner at our club, just our immediate family. It was a great day for all and we enjoyed having son and daughter together as it only happens a couple times a year. Son stayed overnight and then drove to Alphereta, GA. to visit his daughter.
It was just a great day for us as we enjoy family more than anything. Hope the next 40 years go as well as the first 40.

Happy Anniversary!!!! Sounds like a wonderful day indeed. Wishing you many, many more years together! :greetings10:

Ditto on the anniversary wishes! Our 19th is on the 18th (that somehow sounds weird) and we plan to celebrate with a trip to see my sister and her family in Vermont for a long weekend.

Nice that your kids came to celebrate with you; my parents' 50th was last year and my sister and I put together a nice party for them.

Smoked a 15lb brisket, 3 whole chickens (of which only 2 1/2 are left now :)), 11 large chicken thighs and 18 or 19 chicken legs. Tomorrow I'll slice the brisket and pull the meat off of the whole chickens and package it all in FoodSaver bags for freezing -- in two or three meal sizes for me and the DW. There is another brisket in a cryovac bag aging in the fridge for another such project, probably in a couple of weeks. This should get us to 2013, at least as far as brisket and smoked chicken are concerned. We like our protein, and we balance with other stuff.

Last edited:
After a late start, just puttering, I went to Penticton for the afternoon. It was a beautiful day, 27 degrees C. While walking on the beach, I looked north up the lake and saw smoke between the mountains. A wildfire. It has been a quiet wildfire season. On my drive north towards home, I passed under the fire at Peachland about 2 1/2 hours ago. The highway has since been closed. There are water bomber aircraft and helicopters dumping water and retardant on the fire, but it's windy and apparently has spread rapidly. One home has already been lost. I live approximately 10 Km away but I am concerned as there was a huge fire across the lake in 2003 and it spread like.....wildfire. I think I'll pack an emergency tote now in case my area is evacuated.

B.C. wildfire forces evacuation of 1,500 people - British Columbia - CBC News

I have unpacked my emergency kit.

This fire was up to Rank 5

Fire Rank - Wildfire Management Branch - Ministry of Forests and Range - Province of British Columbia

but it is now 75% contained.The threat is over and many people are being allowed to return to the area. Firefighters did an awesome job. Four houses were lost. No-one was injured. It could have been so much worse, like 2003....

Okanagan Mountain Park Fire.

They have learnt a lot since then.

Last edited:
I have a bad tooth. :( It's been bothering me intermittently but now it is full time. I suspect a cracked filling. I will go Tuesday AM at the dentist to get the Dx and Fx.
I can chew but it aggravates the tooth from being a dull ache to full blown ouchiness. My diet is mashed potatoes with cheese, yogurt, and soup. Maybe I'll have a better Wed weigh-in this week. :LOL:
I have 8 lbs of chicken wings in the oven and homemade BBQ sauce simmering on the stovetop. A combined September birthday party for several folks (including me) is going on at the VFW tonight. I'll go for a little while to deliver the food and see how I feel. I wonder what food, if any, I'll be able to chew there. :blush:

I have a bad tooth. :( It's been bothering me intermittently but now it is full time. I suspect a cracked filling. I will go Tuesday AM at the dentist to get the Dx and Fx.
I can chew but it aggravates the tooth from being a dull ache to full blown ouchiness. My diet is mashed potatoes with cheese, yogurt, and soup. Maybe I'll have a better Wed weigh-in this week. :LOL:
I have 8 lbs of chicken wings in the oven and homemade BBQ sauce simmering on the stovetop. A combined September birthday party for several folks (including me) is going on at the VFW tonight. I'll go for a little while to deliver the food and see how I feel. I wonder what food, if any, I'll be able to chew there. :blush:

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the bad tooth. I had my own experience with a bad tooth (underneath a crown) about 16 months ago.

What I found which helped temporarily easing the pain was gargling with salt water.

Eventually, I cried uncle and had what was left of the tooth pulled, then had dental implant done. I was ready to empy my wallet to ease the agony.

Hope your bad tooth doesn't get too bad before you see your dentist on Tuesday.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about the bad tooth. I had my own experience with a bad tooth (underneath a crown) about 16 months ago.
What I found which helped temporarily easing the pain was gargling with salt water.
Eventually, I cried uncle and had what was left of the tooth pulled, then had dental implant done. I was ready to empy my wallet to ease the agony.
Hope your bad tooth doesn't get too bad before you see your dentist on Tuesday.
I think I'll have better results with Coors Lite or maybe a shot of blackberry brandy. :cool:

Thanks. :flowers: It's more an annoyance as long as I don't chew anything solid. 400 mg Ibuprofen is doing the trick until my dentist appt. :)

Coors Lite or blackberry brandy...haha

Yesterday I was the photographer at a wedding, strictly a low-budget affair. The hard-core LBYM types would have loved it.

Small chapel, perhaps 40 people, reception at a VFW hall. I shot over 600 photos that I now have to go through, edit, adjust exposure, contrast, highlights, etc. and winnow down to 100-150. Next time I'll be a little more judicious about pressing the shutter button. I'll spend way more time processing the photos than I did at the wedding.

And I almost missed the cutting of the cake. Yikes! But I did get all the other shots they wanted so I think they'll be pleased. I'm happy with the way it's going so far.

My wedding present to the happy couple is the CD with the processed photos on it.

I'm headed out for the last boat ride of the season. The lake I keep it on is now 7 feet below spring level and getting lower as they continue to use the lake to feed the NYS Barge Canal. The boat launch at the state park has a shallow water entrance, so it has to be pulled on Wednesday. My Jeep is not reliable, so I am having the boat storage guy do the trailer/vehicle thing with me at the helm on the water. Piece of cake. :D
Mr B has to study, so I called a buddy to join me. I am perfectly capable of boating solo, but it is not always the smartest idea to go alone.
It is a gorgeous day with a high of 68F predicted, and just a few clouds in the sky. :dance:

Let some chocolate melt in my mouth while I watched a chick flick.

Since DH is gone for a few days, I've got a case of the lazys. No projects for me during his absence....just chocolate, chick flicks and naps.

Feels so good. :)

I am getting to do something most older retirees would like to try . I am currently staying in my Mother's independent living apartment .It is a little strange having a curfew but otherwise it's fine .Gary & I were on a cruise through New England & Canada when I got a call that my Mother (96 years old ) had fallen and broke her shoulder and had a large subdural hematoma . I took a bus from Port Authority to Pennsylvania to assist my Mother while she is in the hospital . She is doing amazingly well so hopefully my stint at the Independent /assisted living place will be over in a week or two .

I am getting to do something most older retirees would like to try . I am currently staying in my Mother's independent living apartment .It is a little strange having a curfew but otherwise it's fine .Gary & I were on a cruise through New England & Canada when I got a call that my Mother (96 years old ) had fallen and broke her shoulder and had a large subdural hematoma . I took a bus from Port Authority to Pennsylvania to assist my Mother while she is in the hospital . She is doing amazingly well so hopefully my stint at the Independent /assisted living place will be over in a week or two .
An unfortunate reason but an important experience. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts after the week or two. Good luck with your Mum.

I felt terrible all weekend and didn't sleep at all last night so I am going to the doctor this afternoon. I am laying in bed in the meantime. What a way to start the week!:(

Last edited:
96...wow. Bless her for being so tough with such an injury! :)

Best wishes for a speedy recovery. :flowers:

I spent most of today doing laundry and playing with my plants while Mr B studied and prepared for a Legion meeting presentation tonight.
I'm tempted to join him for a cold one after the meeting, but I have to be up at o'dark thirty for an 8:45 dentist appointment to FINALLY get this tooth fixed. :dance:
I cut down the spent plants and trimmed off faded leaves for the compost. I am allowing the dirt to dry out so I can put it back in the original bag it came in. I have too many containers to store them with dirt in them inside the enclosed porch.
Night-time temps are getting down to the 40s. A few maple trees are turning colors already.
My porch looks like a forest with all the still blossoming and bearing plants moved inside. :blink: I have an Earthbox full of tomatoes that will continue to form and ripen into the fall months.
All of my paintbox geraniums are just blooming. They will provide indoor cheer over the winter. :flowers: I cut back a miniature sunflower plant so it will grow new leaves and rebloom in the next month or so.
It's been very interesting cooking myself food that does not require a lot of vigorous chewing. Today's special was chicken breast chopped in small pieces, cooked in cream of mushroom soup, and put over rice. I made some split green pea soup for tomorrow so I can eat without chewing the inside of my cheek until the Novacaine wears off.

I drove from Richmond BC to 108 Mile House BC, a distance of 488 Km. I had driven approximately 2/3 of this route previously so it was nice to see some new and interesting scenery. Lots of mountains - I'm glad it's not January! Gas consumption was 8.4 L/100 Km. New car was very comfortable. The only maddening thing was my GPS (Garmin) which got totally confused re: my starting point and had me going round in circles in Richmond/Vancouver for 20 minutes until I turned it off and headed the way that seemed to make sense! Perhaps it was proximity to the airport that got its knickers in a twist. Once I was outside that area it worked just fine. Weather was glorious, cloudless sky, 26 degrees C.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom