what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Went with DW and SIL to see DW's niece's six-day-old baby. He's the perfect baby - slept the entire time we were there.:D

Attachments

• Rex_photos-2.jpg
    Rex_photos-2.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 14
  • Rex_photos-5.jpg
    Rex_photos-5.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Rex_photos-9.jpg
    Rex_photos-9.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 13
DH and I donated blood today.

We donate fairly consistently, we try for every 8 weeks or so. We like to schedule our donation appts for late in the morning, and then we'll go out for lunch. After all, we must keep up our strength. Yeah, that's it. ;)

Our donor center occasionally gives out nice t-shirts & other swag. I likes my swag. :dance:

Routine Dr visit. My BP hasn't been this good since 2008. :dance:

Replaced the stabilizer links on my vehicle......again. :mad: This is the 5th set in 67,000 miles. I guess living on a gravel road eats them on this model.

The good news is that I got to polish some of the rusty mechanical skills that paid my way through college. And I remembered why I decided that tackling Calculus might be preferable to lying on my back with rust flakes falling into my eyes.

Yesterday:
-drove to the cabin on the lake - 27 miles
-alone with security and 10 other people in a 6000 unit campground.
-opened it up an reveled... "YEA".. no damage, no leaks
-spend 1 hour, chainsawing the huge oak tree branch that fell.
-1 hours carrying the logs to the fire pit
-3 hours burning them, and the 5 piece wood picnic set that was crushed
-same three hours watching the lake and the geese and gulls
-two geese, walking the remaining thin ice... fell in.
-watched a herd of 13 deer walk by my house.
-and noted they had eaten the branch ends off the crabapple tree planted last year.
-drove home, fell asleep, accounting for "yesterday", instead of "today"

66 degrees yesterday... weather forecast predicts the next day over 60 degrees to be Aptil 19th. :(

....-two geese, walking the remaining thin ice... fell in..... :(

Reminds me of a time that I was looking at a lakefront lot one spring as the ice was thinning. The owner met me at the land and had two dogs that were running around enjoying themselves. The younger, more foolish dog went out on the ice. I happened to notice him out there and said to the owner "I don't think it is a good idea for your dog to be out on the ice". About 3 seconds later the dog fell through the ice into the water - about 75' from shore.

The dog struggled to get back on the ice but as soon as his weight was on the ice he would fall through again. I was scrambling around to adjacent properties trying to find a canoe or kayak we could use to go get the dog. Finally the owner gave up and just waded in through the ice to get the dog (thankfully the water was only chest high where the dog was).

Last edited:
What have I done today? Nothing yet, other than having a cup of coffee and surfing the Web. Oh, I saw the bottom line in my Quicken screen setting a new high. However the day is still young and the market might just reverse.

Might be stuck in this timeshare in Ruidoso for the day, if the wind stays up this strong. It has been howling all night.

What have I done today? Nothing yet, other than having a cup of coffee and surfing the Web. Oh, I saw the bottom line in my Quicken screen setting a new high. However the day is still young and the market might just reverse.

Might be stuck in this timeshare in Ruidoso for the day, if the wind stays up this strong. It has been howling all night.

My portfolio hit another all time high yesterday, and it is going to be fun to see what today's market brings us. So far, the Dow is up 61 points! I just love this. :D

Being stuck in a timeshare in Ruidoso sounds so exotic. I'm enjoying being at home here in New Orleans, where it is sunny and 80+ degrees with just a light breeze. Definitely shorts and sandals weather and we are enjoying it so much before the heat of summer descends upon the area.

Last edited:

It does appear to be breezy in Lincoln County: Wind Map

My portfolio hit another all time high yesterday...

[-]I keep withdrawing from mine and it just keeps getting bigger. What am I doing wrong?[/-] Never mind. No reason to invite trouble...

It does appear to be breezy in Lincoln County: Wind Map
Had a "discussion" with my architect the other day. She said 85 mph was all that was required. I will have roof trusses rated for 110 mph on the hermitage. I'm quite a bit north of Ruidoso, but still in those strong Spring wind patterns. I've seen the wind up there at over 90 mph and the damage done.

Finished and filed my state and federal taxes. Now it's time for a cocktail.

Nodak--

I did too, except that TX doesn't have state tax. And wonder of wonders, I am getting a few dollars back from Uncle Sam for the first time in 20+ years. I was so happy I bought a sampler of cigars and a bottle of single malt scotch to celebrate!!!!!! Cheers!
prof12

I got a new set of credit cards in the mail today, the current cards have once again been "compromised". This is the fourth time in a year and a half.

The best thing I did was implement suggestions from forum members to have a separate card for recurring charges that stays at home and is not used for anything else. No more updating autopay, now it's just sign, activate, throw out the old cards. I check the account weekly as it is so no big deal.

....The best thing I did was implement suggestions from forum members to have a separate card for recurring charges that stays at home and is not used for anything else. No more updating autopay, now it's just sign, activate, throw out the old cards. I check the account weekly as it is so no big deal.

Good idea I haven't thought of even though I haven't had any cc problems.

Attempting to fill out a passport application for my 80 year old FIL. The form requires the date of his divorce from his first marriage 36 years ago...and he doesn't remember. Why the heck does the passport agency care what his divorce date was? Our government at work!

Good idea I haven't thought of even though I haven't had any cc problems.
+1

That's the route I went after having two CC "incidents" within a few months time and tiring of the process to contact and change auto payments for the replacement CC. I also made a master list of what accounts I had set up for auto CC payments and the phone # or web address needed for each if I had to make a change.

Went for an hour and a half motorcycle ride. I've been missing doing that the last few months.

Drove home from VA where I saw my son in a fantastic concert last night. Highway 81 north full of RVing snowbirds returning home. Had a meeting at work to finalize our work schedule through summer this afternoon. Told the group I'm halftime as of September. This means I've set my RE date for 3/1/15. Yay!

Ran some errands for dw, played with my new woodworking carving gouges, trimmed back some rose bushes and grasses, turned MIL an ice cream scoop on my lathe for her birthday gift

My Quicken's bottom line is up 2.24% YTD. Not bad, not bad at all despite holding 25% in stagnant cash earning 2% or so a year.

[-]I keep withdrawing from mine and it just keeps getting bigger. What am I doing wrong?[/-]

Oh, my banking and credit card accounts are all included in Quicken's total number. Lemme see...

Accounting for the YTD expenses brings the YTD return to 2.87%. Nice, nice... But, but, but the numbers show that my expense YTD is only 0.63% or 2.52% annualized. This can't be!

I guess staying home over the winter months and occupying oneself with repair of vintage stereo speakers really helped cutting down expenses. However, one can't do that year round. The open road beckons when spring comes. And it already has.

Last edited:
First clothesline day of the year, mostly towels, almost too windy.

Prep work for a whole house window replacement tomorrow. We have some of the earliest double-pane windows made installed in the house, and every single one has had a seal failure. Time to cut 'em out and install something that we can see through...

This will be interesting.

Filed granddaughter's federal tax this morning. She is a full time college student and worked a bit over the month of December. Next year I'll buy her a copy of Turbo Tax or point her to TaxAct Free. :D

Recovering from my business trip to West Texas and Oklahoma earlier this week. Looking at grass cutting instead of going to the office.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom