what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh well, part of what we all have to face if we live long enough. Time for one of my med's.:blink:

Sorry to hear about your aunt. It's good for her that you are around.

Talk about getting old, seeing my own late father's last days of his life took all the gung-ho out of my work life. It was an impetus for me to ease into RE and not seeking another career at a megacorp after my business failure.

Yeah, the doc wanted her to drink 5 cans a day. I can't get 1 1/2 down her a day.

Sorry about your Aunt ! My Mom who is 93 is the same way . She eats like a bird except for Mexican food . She put away two enchiladas last night while I was stuffed after one . I keep Ensure in the frig and if she has one or two great .Your Aunt is slowing down so I'd just roll with the punches and not force anything on her .

Beautiful day. I walked around Green Lake with my old tango partner who is trying to recover from hip replacement. We took it slow, but eventually she had to sit while I got the car to fetch her. These joint operations are better than really bad pain, but it seems that they really do not put you back anywhere close to where you were before your own joints went bad.

What we need is a fountain of youth.

Dawg- keep up the good work with your Aunt. You are a super guy.

Ha

Filled out my SF-3107 (Application for Immediate Retirement) very carefully in black ink with neat block letters.

Then took it down to Human Resources, only to find that the person that I was going to give it to has the afternoon off. :LOL:

So today I ALMOST made it official. I will give it to her next week, unless she advises me to wait.

Other than that, sat on my behind in a cubicle all day long, inside instead of outside on a beautiful, sunshiny, blue-skies-with-puffy-clouds day. workworkworkworkworkwork. You know. That activity that so inspires us to retire.

Last edited:
Filled out my SF-3107 (Application for Immediate Retirement) very carefully in black ink with neat block letters.
Then took it down to Human Resources, only to find that the person that I was going to give it to has the afternoon off. :LOL:
So today I ALMOST made it official. I will give it to her next week, unless she advises me to wait.
Other than that, sat on my behind in a cubicle all day long, inside instead of outside on a beautiful, sunshiny, blue-skies-with-puffy-clouds day. workworkworkworkworkwork. You know. That stuff that inspires us to retire.
:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Once the paperwork is filled out...the submission is just the icing on the cake. Very happy for you :D

Congratulations! I am sure you will be happy retired. You are happy already; retirement has to make it even better, right?

Ha

Housecleaner was here today. dh2b fixed up an old computer and we gave it to her. She will use it as a dual duty birthday present for her 2 young sons. This gal is struggling to better her situation and we are helping her any way we can. I am "paying it forward", the same way people helped me when I was a starving college student. :D
Did 1 laundry load, emptied dishwasher, took photos, did exercise bike and barbells, surfed, making beef stroganoff in crockpot. The smell is killing me!

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:
Once the paperwork is filled out...the submission is just the icing on the cake. Very happy for you :D

Thank you! I am pretty happy myself. :dance: :clap::clap:

Congratulations! I am sure you will be happy retired. You are happy already; retirement has to make it even better, right?

Ha

Thank you! You're right - - I am a happy person most of the time already, and retirement will step it up a notch. :D

Took the mutt on a hike this morning out at the reservoir. Did some yard work at my mother's house and just got through washing my Trailblazer. Heading out to the club tonight for a bite and a couple of meds. Got to pick up some meds on the way home, completely out.:eek:

Thank you! I am pretty happy myself. :dance: :clap::clap:

Thank you! You're right - - I am a happy person most of the time already, and retirement will step it up a notch. :D

Way to go, W2R!
When's the FIRE party?

Got my midlife crisis car out and gave it a hand wash, vacuumed the inside, wiped down all surfaces with ArmorAll, took it for a ride and burned some rubber. I waited until the Sherriff went straight, then I turned left and wound it out on a nice straight country road. :cool:
If there was ever a good reason to FIRE, here it is...and no car payments :D

Attachments

• mustang.jpg
    mustang.jpg
    4 KB · Views: 155

W2R, Just remember, you can always pull your paperwork at the very last minute...(but you won't)! Congratulations...there will be envy on all sides where you work...:greetings10:

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
drank some bourbon with healthful mint leaves. watched a pony shift gears and pass a crowd.

Thank you! :)

Well, that will have to wait until I'm FIRED.... :D (see sig line for that timeframe!)

I'm pretty happy to be making it official. :cool:

Woo! Hoo! Now the real fun begins (I know there is some time yet, but the attitude changes once you've turned in the documents).

-- Rita

Reactions: W2R
A good clothesline day.
Made salads.
Moved stuff around in the garage.

Saturday we spent most of the day at a Pet Fiesta- twice a year they block off the streets in the Reston, VA town center and many of the local pet businesses and rescue are there to either sell or meet potential adopters or gather donations. We had our blind and deaf foster (Sheltie named Millie) there and she did a great job bringing people in to the booth to talk about what we do. There were also a couple of people who might be interested to adopt her and we'll be following up with them. Millie is blind and deaf from birth (she's only 11 months old) but gets around great and loves to be held or hugged by anyone- she'd very cute and can really bring in the sympathy crowd. I must have told her story a hundred times and had to constantly remind people that although she can't see or hear, she is still a puppy and likes to play, chew, and do otherwise puppy things- she's only about 50% housebroken which is turning out to be a real challenge, the normal methods aren't very usable in her case.

My job was to stand out front holding Millie with her head laying on my shoulder or in her "dead dog" pose where she just hangs upside down in your arms without moving. As people would come up to say hi or to pet her, I'd tell them she was blind and deaf and usually others within ear shot would come over to meet her too- by the end of the day, she was worn out (that was nice, lol) and we were too. Maybe I could get a job as a carnival barker.

There are 100's of dogs at this event and amazingly, in the many years we've been going to this event, I can only remember one or two actual dog fights that were quickly broken up- owners and handlers do a great job and it's a lot of fun to meet and play with all the different breeds of dogs.

A fun day, we originally planned to stay just a couple of hours but Millie did so well, we stayed from 9 until 4pm.

Started the day listening to some very horny turkeys gobbling and drumming behind the property.
Hope all the turkeys got some. :flowers:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_turkey
Did a very nice morning session in the outdoor hot tub.
Then it became tend the garden and open fire pit day. dh2b tilled the entire garden for me while I gathered yard sticks (the dead kind that fall off the trees) and had a nice fire. Ground is wet so this is the best time of year to do a burn. Got rid of an older pile of logs covered with turkey-tail mushrooms and some thinner branches from last year.
Made thick chunky tomato soup and mushroom crostini for dinner. Wow!
All tuckered out - good thing dh2b has to w*rk tomorrow. ;)

I really meant to goof off today, but the beautiful weather foiled my plans. :cool:
I got the powerwasher all fired up and cleaned grime and algae and moss and all sorts of rotted dead leaves and muck off the concrete patio and under the steps of the deck. It took me 3 hours to do the whole thing, slowly sweeping the nozzle back and forth, driving all that gunk off the concrete.
I made a huge mistake in a corner. I pointed the nozzle just "wrong" and ended up wearing the debris. :LOL:
TG I had safety glasses on.
The porch floor I stained on Sat AM is completely cured, so tomorrow I will move everything over to the stained side and clean/prep the rest of the floor. This is better exercise and definitely more fun than the stationary bike and barbells. :yuk:

A day good for ducks. Rain since yesterday, rain all day, more rain tomorrow.

The ground is now fully saturated, robins are fishing for worms.

Kayak is is wet on the the top side, waiting for decent day to go paddling again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom