what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We finally got a flat screen...it was delivered earlier today. It certainly looks better than the 'boat'...

DH was frustrated trying to find a console to fit the tv and all his stereo equipment. So, we re-purposed a dresser we had to fit our needs. He took all the guts out of the dresser, made shelves and stained them. We'll prolly put some grill cloth on the front of the cabinet.

Now we just have to get rid of the boat....and I have to learn how to work the remote/other functions on the new tv...:blink:

Attachments

• DSC05596.jpg
    DSC05596.jpg
    493.4 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC05605.jpg
    DSC05605.jpg
    428.5 KB · Views: 23
Well, that old TV screen was flat too. It's simply got more "meat" behind that screen.

Heh...I just got a cell phone last year. My friends tease me because it's a flip phone.....:rolleyes:

Right now DH is disassembling the old tv. I guess you could say he's working on the meat part now... We were going to donate it, but because of its age and poundage, we decided to take it apart and will be able to recycle most of it.

The really good news for me is the old remote works with the new tv. :D

Now we just have to get rid of the boat....and I have to learn how to work the remote/other functions on the new tv...:blink:

here's a suggestion on the remote... works great for Grandma too :LOL:

Attachments

• 1460309_10152069360417931_287214752_n25.jpg
    1460309_10152069360417931_287214752_n25.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 24
Recovering from yesterday's hike. I knew it would be long, but the topo maps made it look deceptively easy. We soldiered on nonetheless and, after 7 hours, we finally reached our destination. We treated ourselves to an In-N-Out burger on the way back home.

Welcome to the [-]20th[/-] 21st Century. :)

I still have an old TV that looks similar. It's a Hitachi rear projection 42" model. It was the 1st HD TV I bought, and I was the first in the family to buy one, back in 2001 or 2002. My relatives ooh'ed and ah'ed when they visited. Lord of the Rings on DVD looked spectacular on it, back then.

That TV just keeps on working, while other later TVs have bit the dust. We do not watch much TV, so brought it up to the boonies home. I hate throwing away stuff that still works. And it's a good thing we do not buy "stuff" that often, else would run out of storage places.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by REWahoo
Welcome to the 20th 21st Century. :)
Guess you completely missed my joke, eh? :LOL:

I had one of those CRT projection monsters too, up until about 4 years ago, and it worked fine, although the screen was a bit dim. Gave it to my son-in-law's mom (a widow of limited means) and when we transported it over to her house, I thought I'd clean the projection lenses. They were really dusty and cleaning them immediately solved the screen brightness issue.

Hmm... Cleaning the lens... That means I'd have to take the rear cover off. That much work must wait until a day when I get snowed in up there.

Heavy rain showers on & off today so pretty much stayed home. I did mail off the claim form & receipts for the lightning damage about six weeks ago totaling $1450. Power company says they'll pay for it because the whole-house surge protector they provide didn't work.

Played around in Photoshop with a light-painted photo of a plant to remove the stupid information sign that I forgot to remove from the pot. A few seconds to take the sign out before taking the photo, almost an hour with the pen tool in Photoshop to select the sign and pot it was in and remove those.

This might go on a wall somewhere here, still thinking about it.

Attachments

• light_painted_plant-2.jpg
    light_painted_plant-2.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 21
  • light_painted_plant-1.jpg
    light_painted_plant-1.jpg
    169.6 KB · Views: 20
With a black background like that which uses a torrent of ink, the maker of your printer must love you. Have you used recharged cartridges and found them to be satisfactory in quality?

With a black background like that which uses a torrent of ink, the maker of your printer must love you. Have you used recharged cartridges and found them to be satisfactory in quality?

Not with the photo printer and I don't want to. I do use store-brand laser cartridges but photo printing is a whole different ball game. Epson and Canon, the two leaders in professional photo printers, have spent millions developing the inks and papers for color accuracy and longevity.

Even with my old HP photo printer (did not survive the lightning strike) with refilled cartridges I could see a slight difference almost immediately and after only a few months there was considerable fading.

As with so many other things, at least with photo ink and paper, you get what you pay for.

With that photo above, what I could do is change the black background to white but since it was done with light painting (30-second exposure, nighttime, lit with a moving flashlight) that would kind of take away the effect.

Guess you completely missed my joke, eh? :LOL:

I had one of those CRT projection monsters too, up until about 4 years ago, and it worked fine, although the screen was a bit dim. Gave it to my son-in-law's mom (a widow of limited means) and when we transported it over to her house, I thought I'd clean the projection lenses. They were really dusty and cleaning them immediately solved the screen brightness issue.
:LOL:.........:facepalm: ....I tell ya REWahoo...mah mind is slowly circling the drain.

I made green garlic pesto and [-]sent[/-] asked Mr B to go to Aldi's for some fresh Italian bread to toast and smear the pesto on.

He has the list of other needed stuff too, however he'll come back with even more decadent goodies. :nonono:

But...he's shopping and I'm not. >:D I think I'll keep that man. :D

PS He does no laundry or dusting, so it's a great tradeoff.

Ran banking, Costco errands with DH. Made a habanero cheese sauce for a large bowl of broccoli for lunch. I'll be volunteering all afternoon. Zoodles and spicy tomato meat sauce are already made for an easy, late supper. (Zoodles are my current summer food crush.)

Hi there Michael Paquette. Of course I never doubt that it is your real name.

I am not going to post my patent or publications. It does not say NW-Bound on it. ;)

Hi there Michael Paquette. Of course I never doubt that it is your real name.

I don't bother trying to hide who I am on forums. Sort of obvious from the user name, eh?

it keeps me honest, and the only disadvantage is the occasional stalker. They're pretty easy to address, though. The local police and post office know us. (The narcissists are the worst. The paranoids are just... well, they're crazy people. WIC 5150 psych hold...)

... it keeps me honest...
Yeah, I do worry about that myself, hence want to stay anonymous.

For example, people who really know me may just poke fun at my often claim of superior memory, which is often sneered at by my own wife, of all people. She often has to look for things that I misplace. She fails to acknowledge the other myriad facts or seemingly inconsequential events that I remember. She sees the things that I forget, but how does she know about the things I do remember? But I digress...

Last edited:
Went to see the ophthalmologist yesterday morning, again this morning. Cataract surgery isn't far off now.

Used to be eye dilation made me sensitive for a couple of hours but I'd be back to work after lunch. Now I've become hypersensitive so I'll be cooped up inside all day, and can't do anything that requires glasses. At least the iPad makes this easier. The iPhone does too but I find it's keyboard just too small.

The slow deterioration our bodies suffer from aging is a real PITA, but I'll take it any day over the much faster deterioration of the recently deceased. It's good to be alive. :)

Went to see the ophthalmologist yesterday morning, again this morning. Cataract surgery isn't far off now.

Kind of a shock to hear that, isn't it? I was told I would need cataract surgery sometime soon (in the next year or two, I suppose) the last time I went to get my eyes checked.

At first I didn't like the idea, but after talking to some people who have had it done, I am almost looking forward to it. Apparently this surgery can improve the vision tremendously. I am all for that! :) And then the idea of essentially having built in contacts would be fabulous.

Last edited:
Two framing jobs today, I'm finally figuring this out. The one of the water drop went (where else?) over the bathtub in the master bath. The other beach scene, well, I'm not too keen on the print but it hung in DW's parent's house for decades so there's huge sentimental value to it for her. That hangs in the living room now. DW hated the frame it was in so I said I'd redo it. Good thing too, because the original framing job had plain cardboard for a backing!

Anyone who has read one book on framing knows that all materials must be acid-free or the acid will attack whatever else is in the frame with it. High acid content is why newspaper turns yellow in a month. Fortunately only the first 1/4 inch around the print was damaged so it was easy to cover that with mat.

Many hugs and kisses from DW so I must have done something right.:dance:

Attachments

• Framing_job-1.jpg
    Framing_job-1.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 28
  • Framing_job-2.jpg
    Framing_job-2.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 29
Paid $100k on the principal of our house today.

Goal is to have it paid off before retirement. Only $124k to go now.

And I don't want to debate on why I should have put the money to work for me, I'd rather have a paid off house as piece of mind :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom