what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I saw some amazingly detailed, large, sand castles on my morning beach walk with the dog, this morning.

Fortunately, they are just above the high tide line - so they should be safe from the water... not so sure about safe from people and pets. (My dog *really* wanted to pee on them but I kept him on a tight leash.)

img_1501111_0_f251e2178170a7deb02dd2fb603037d7.jpg

Today is going to emblematic of the beautiful simplicity of ER. Woke up with DW (like I always do). Enjoyed a good cup of coffee (actually two) - not having to gulp it down before hitting rush hour anymore is quite nice. Watch a bit of BNN and CNBC, checked online accounts, tinkered a bit with them. Sent wife off to work (only feel a touch guilty) and planned out the day ahead. I have already walked to the library, got DW a novel that she has been waiting to come in, bought some healthy whole grain rice and pasta at a cool little organic type health food store. I find in my wanderings about town that I am more interested observing people. Find myself wondering about their individual lives. Weird. I never really bothered to think about this before. Definitely much more of a "stop and smell the roses" aspect to my daily life now. Things seem to unfold slower... it's wonderful.

Going to eat a bit of lunch presently and then head over to the gym and hit the bikes and treadmills, burn my usual 800 calories. Then a bit of housework (takes maybe 15 minutes, small place), and prepare a nice dinner for DW and I. Then we will enjoy our evenings together as per usual.

Nothing earth shattering here certainly. But I enjoy these type of days - immensely.

Great pics Walt. Love the PIC - I don't need no steenking seat belt.

Very strange week for us, in that we are literally sitting around waiting for DD to go into labor. SIL is deployed and unable to return home until late November, so we are the tag-team for getting DD to hospital, helping her as coaches, then helping back at her house for as long as she needs us.

I brought down a litany of items to stay busy while we wait - my running shoes, laptop, weight lifting gloves, Kindle, Spanish study material, needlepoint project, camera bag/tripod, magazines that have piled up, and a bunch of podcasts. I'm trying to enjoy this rare respite of relaxation, as I know once the action begins, all relaxation will fall by the wayside.

This is the first time since we ER'd that we've been home (even if DD's home) for more than a couple of weeks. I wouldn't choose to be anywhere else at the moment, but will admit I am looking forward to early December, when SIL is back home, and we can once again strap on our traveling shoes.

Very strange week for us, in that we are literally sitting around waiting for DD to go into labor.
Have you considered acupuncture? :cool:

One small study at the University of North Carolina found that women who got acupuncture were more likely to go into labor without a medical "push."

The study included 56 women who were 39.5 to 41 weeks pregnant. (Forty weeks is full term.) Half of the women got three acupuncture sessions, while the other half did not.

Seventy percent of the women who got acupuncture went into labor on their own, compared to 50% who received standard care. The women who got acupuncture were also less likely to deliver by cesarean section -- 39% compared to 17%.
How to Induce Labor Naturally: Is It Possible? - WebMD

Glad you did the trip. If I remember my similar flight on a B-17 from a few years ago, this opening is above where the radio operator was stationed and there was a machine gun through that opening for the operators use.

That is exactly the place, I was standing next to the radio operator's seat. He had more room than anyone else in the airplane but still, it looked cramped. It sure would be after an 8+ hour mission!

Have spent the last two days with my foot propped up and ice on my knee.

I've recently become addicted to pickleball. In the last two weeks I'd guess that I've played 20 times (the club plays morning and evening). Yesterday my knee was swollen after playing and today, while it doesn't hurt at all, it's still swollen.

I probably should have eased into play a bit more but it's FUN and an enjoyable way to get exercise... Guess my body didn't like going from sitting behind a computer 10 hours a day to pounding a court 3 hours a day!

Don't think there is anything serious so I'll see if the swelling goes down with rest. If it doesn't I'll visit the doc.

Ouch, Lisa99... hope it gets better soon.

I've fairly recently started to ramp up the physical fitness activities, and I've got my fingers crossed that my knees can handle it. A few years ago, I experienced significant knee pain that caused me to stop jogging and playing tennis while down at our condo in Mexico. Major bummer.

I am hoping that by shedding some pounds (down to 200 lbs from 235 lbs) that these knee issues won't resurface.

I planted an English walnut tree 7 or 8 years ago, and it's over 20 feet tall now.
Last year I got my first harvest: 3 walnuts.
Today I enjoyed my second harvest: 4 walnuts.
I actually harvested them nearly two weeks ago, but they need time to dry before you eat them.

Next year I fully expect a bountiful 5 walnuts, but I'm ever hopeful that it will be a real crop. We have plenty of deer around, but I'm sure I got the entire crop since I identified each one earlier in the season and I know there were only four on the tree.

Spent an hour in Target today. They messed up a recent prescription, didn't submit it to the insurance company and when I called, couldn't fix it over the phone. Now it's been processed correctly, and they refunded half the price.

Strangely, I paid with CC but they refunded cash, insisting their system can't credit my card unless I present the original receipt. No complaint from me.

I stockpiled wine for us and for gifts plus other grocery items like discontinued balance bar flavors from Grocery Outlet.

I also bought a big fig tree for inside the house. I unplugged the air purifiers as a part of our home energy conservation program and I'm replacing them with live plants to purify the air instead.

Again...I remembered to log on and check out the happenings here.

I just returned from a 4 day trip to Wolfe Island, ON CA in the St Lawrence River. I take the ferry from Cape Vincent NY. It rained off and on for all 4 days. The thunderstorms were something to see from shore. Woooooooo....:blink:

I received a retirement services ID card with a valid claim number. I should get the OPM online services account password any day now.
I'm hoping that my deferred FERS retirement application (mailed 9/8/14) will go through quickly. OPM is under the gun big time to clear their backlog of retirement applications, so doing mine would be a quick and dirty "complete" for some overw*rked staffer. I can only hope. :D

Other than that, I am continuing my outdoor container gardening and deciding who gets moved inside for the winter. My Earthbox grown peppers are simply kicking *ss and taking names. They are ripening inside my enclosed porch since the nights are getting a bit cooler here. I like to split them, brush with olive oil, bake in convection oven until just slightly soft, cool them down, fill with cheddar cheese and bake again until the cheese melts and gets a smidge browned on top. Yum yum yummmmmmm :)

I've purchased several dwarf hardy fruit trees at discount prices. I will plant them outdoors tomorrow if the weather holds. I have a huge open backyard, so why not put in some fruit trees for variety ? I bought a dwarf Meyer lemon tree for indoor growing. If I get flowers on it between now and spring, I will do the pollination by hand with a tiny artist's brush.

Fall is in full force here...nice warm days and crisp nights with leaves starting to drop. The markets are flooded with fresh picked apples from the many orchards in the area. I feel a fresh French apple pie making mission coming on.

My Earthbox grown peppers are simply kicking *ss and taking names. They are ripening inside my enclosed porch since the nights are getting a bit cooler here.

Earthbox!!!!!

What a great invention for the gardener with limited space and not much ground.

Earthbox!!!!!

What a great invention for the gardener with limited space and not much ground.
Or for the gardener who hates (or is unable to in my case) to do the constant weeding and large scale soil enhancement, pest control, and fertilizing necessary for open ground gardens.
Even better, my veggies are fresh, fully organic, and not out of control as far as quantity goes. I have just enough production for Mr B and I.

Or for the gardener who hates (or is unable to in my case) to do the constant weeding and large scale soil enhancement, pest control, and fertilizing necessary for open ground gardens.
Even better, my veggies are fresh, fully organic, and not out of control as far as quantity goes. I have just enough production for Mr B and I.

My peppers are the STAR of my container garden, too. This year I grew gypsy peppers. Wow. I will never go back to just regular green/red/yellow varieties. High production, faster, so tasty and sweet!

I just returned from a 4 day trip to Wolfe Island, ON CA in the St Lawrence River. I take the ferry from Cape Vincent NY. It rained off and on for all 4 days. The thunderstorms were something to see from shore. Woooooooo....:blink:

Haven't been to Wolfe Island in 40 years. Neat place, hope the Cape Vincent ferry has been updated since '74. Storms could be rough around the river.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Haven't been to Wolfe Island in 40 years. Neat place, hope the Cape Vincent ferry has been updated since '74. Storms could be rough around the river.

Nope, it's still Horne's Ferry and the ferry boat is the same. This is a photo from the gallery at their homepage. Wave conditions were a bit wilder on Sunday October 5th when I went across to Wolfe Island. Lots of spray even on the upper deck. Yeeehaaaaaa :dance:

From their webpage..."Operating from May until late fall, Horne’s Ferry has offered a service between Wolfe Island, Ontario and New York State since 1802."

image352.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for awakening some old memories. :)

Other than that, I am continuing my outdoor container gardening and deciding who gets moved inside for the winter. My Earthbox grown peppers are simply kicking *ss and taking names. They are ripening inside my enclosed porch since the nights are getting a bit cooler here. I like to split them, brush with olive oil, bake in convection oven until just slightly soft, cool them down, fill with cheddar cheese and bake again until the cheese melts and gets a smidge browned on top. Yum yum yummmmmmm :)

When I had a house, I used to have a dozen earthboxes on the back patio and they worked great. I don't have any outdoors space anymore, so the only gardening I do now is in small glass containers. I made these 2 terrariums with a woodland scenery this week:

Attachments

• DSCF4521.jpg
    DSCF4521.jpg
    515.6 KB · Views: 25
  • DSCF4523.jpg
    DSCF4523.jpg
    502.3 KB · Views: 24
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom