what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Molto buono!

Parlo l'italiano un po. Leggo molte parole, ma non posso parlare molto bene.
Parlo l'italiano a la cena e mia famiglia non e' felice. Ma, parlo spesso per la pratica.

My marito parla francese per "revenge". :LOL: Non parlo francese.:blush:

We mostly did chores and house projects today. I am continuing to try to end my learned helplessness regarding things I used to buy for some reason but could have easily made myself. Tonight I made my own salad dressing with oil, vinegar, spices and herbs. It didn't take long and tasted much better than the commercial dressings with corn syrup and who knows what chemical ingredients I used to buy. I put it over a wild rice and steamed veggie salad with a hard boiled egg and papaya slices on the side.

what did you do today?

Good news, I am not a landlord anymore. My last rental is now vacant. The 2.5-year tenants made no major damage to the property, which is a big relief. But, gosh, were they dirty. How disgusting does an oven have to be before you can muster the strength to press the "self clean" button? The bathtub is pretty spectacular too. Anyways, it's probably going to take a little while to clean it all up and get the property ready to sell.

Attachments

• DSC00487.JPG
    DSC00487.JPG
    150.2 KB · Views: 22
Hiked about 6 miles. Took a bunch of photos. Then a weight workout. Played a while with the new Macbook Pro trying to get everything set up. Downloaded a travel photography lecture from National Geographic.

Last edited:
Another pretty intense cardio session at the gym... hour and a half of bike/treadmill combo. Below 200 lbs now - was 235 lbs fore I ER'ed. :dance:

My knees feel AMAZING... I guess they didn't appreciate hauling around 35 pounds of unnecessary "padding". :D

Next stop, 190 lbs!

We went to see "Gone Girl". I had read the book, DH had not. Neither of us were disappointed. Great performances by all and perfect pacing of a good story.

Up in the morning with coffee and newspaper.

Hit the gym about 9:30 and stopped by Lowe's on the way home to get advice/supplies on how to patch broken driveway concrete. Since most people were working today, I got a parking spot right near the store entrance and the store itself was almost empty of customers.

After lunch I actually read the directions on how to use Quikrete and watched a You Tube video on concrete repair and I realized I needed a concrete cleaner, so that gave me a good excuse to put off the repair until tomorrow, or until the next time I drive by the home repair store to pick up the concrete cleaner.

Went with DW and DS this evening to a local running club that meets at an Irish pub for a 5K, and took our 7 month-old pup with us. Our pup had fun, so did we, and after the 5K, we sat outside in the outdoor cafe drinking a few Guinness and wheat ale and then decided we'd stay for dinner. Ended up spending several hours at the pub and met and visited with some pleasant folks who shared our table with us.

All in all, a great RE day, just going with the flow. :)

DW and I went out for lunch, then went to see "The Judge".

rented dry storage for the boat...comes out this week for the winter...

Is that a Bennington? We bought a used 2001 2080LX in excellent condition in August and have enjoyed it very much. We have had some really nice 70-80 degree weather in the Northeast and went out the last couple days, but I need to take it out soon. :(

Saw some more mysterious sand castles on the beach today while walking the dog.

img_1504318_0_b27627f40171cc2434462e5c27f8b472.jpg

One was under attack from an octopus.

img_1504318_1_c554422f79c48c1cf9a8078494b81999.jpg

Unfortunately, also saw about a dozen dead birds that had washed up on shore. In the 4 months since I retired and started my morning beach walk routine I've seen ONE dead bird. This morning - about a dozen. Something's up. I reported it to the city parks guy who was working on the sprinklers at the adjacent grassy area - he radio'd it in to his supervisor. (This is a heavily utilized beach by surfers, paddle boarders, kayakers, etc... and I would imagine the health risk of dead animals should be addressed.)

Visit to the gunshot wound center

I took DW to the Wound Treatment Center at UMC Hospital in far southeast DC this morning. Not a medical center this old, white haired guy would anticipate visiting. A doctor there is amenable to prescribing medical marijuana which DW wants to try for alleviating restless leg syndrome. She read some interesting anecdotes about that - probably placebo effect but what the heck. It will be interesting to browse the shelves in the "clinic."

DC's program is pretty stealthy. There are only four places to buy in the city, one of which is three blocks from our house. The originating legislation limited marijuana prescriptions to a handful of conditions like cancer and glaucoma but recent temporary legislation authorized it for anything a doctor sees fit. I never even saw announcements of that change in the papers. The DC Council voted to make the temporary change permanent last week which is how I found out about the expansion.

We went to see "Gone Girl". I had read the book, DH had not. Neither of us were disappointed. Great performances by all and perfect pacing of a good story.

Saw this on Sunday for a girls' night out - DS thought it was an odd choice ;) but agreed there wasn't much else out there worth seeing. I agree that it was really well done, only had to cover my eyes once.

Today has mostly been about prepping for the home invasion of our church choir tomorrow evening for dinner/social. Fortunately the weather is expected to be perfect so we'll set up tables and chairs on the back patio (choir director will bring them over tomorrow). So this morning I moved all the regular patio furniture out into the grass, weeded the beds, swept the patio, etc. Then showered and dressed for a board meeting.

Stopped at garden center on the way home to pick up some mums for a little color in both the front and back yard. Then when I was getting the ice chest out of the storage room, I saw the autumn wreaths I put on the front porch lights so I put them up also.

Put leaf in the dining room table and found a tablecloth - for those who want to stay inside. Tidied up all the "stuff" on counters, etc. to make room to serve food (that means moving most of it into the guest room :cool smiley:).

Sat down to check e-mail and found that the draft PA inheritance tax return for my mother's estate had come in from the lawyer, so reviewed that and sent back some questions. Also checked to verify that Megacorp (well, actually the company they've outsourced benefits to) received my pension lump sum buyout request - they have (well, at least the PO got it to the right place). Paid a couple of bills. Then gave myself the treat of catching up here before fixing dinner (all on the grill so I don't mess up the clean kitchen).

Fortunately I don't have to do any cooking tomorrow - main dish is catered and guests bring all the rest. And we're using paper plates. So I think all my worry and stress about this was pretty much unnecessary.

Time for a glass of wine and dinner prep. A good day!

Filled an eight quart crock pot with the makings for beef stew, which is now filling the house with goods smells and weakening my resolve to not open it and take some out. DW having the same problem.

Lake Street Dive continues to tour this fall. Dates/locations are listed at the obvious website. They're mostly on the east coast.

I am going as they all blow me away with their talent. Go if you're looking for a fun night!

Took my Mom to the airport this morning for her annual trek south. In between rain showers this afternoon I borrowed a friend's scissor pontoon trailer, took my new-to-us pontoon out of the water for the season, placing it on foam blocks for the winter and then returned the trailer. Vegging out on college football now but going to play cards with some friends tonight.

Spent the last two days at the covered bridge festival in Parke County, Indiana. Visited 29 bridges around the county. Watched DW partake in a wine tasting.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

We went to my SO's 50 th high school reunion . He had a ball reliving all the fun they had in high school & I enjoyed just observing . Most of the members looked good but a few looked great .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom