what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my very long hair expertly shaped and trimmed by a 80 year young lady who is a lifetime master at haircutting. She charges $18, I gave her $23.
Went to a local dive bar and drank beer and ate 30 cent chicken wings with my gardening buddy.
Started a few local rumors about myself. :cool:
Froze my *ss off in -13F temperatures.
Came home, ate a few Lindt's PB and milk chocolate truffles.
Gave Mr B a nice back rub to settle him into a nice winter's sleep.
Logged on here and told you all about it. :LOL:

:dance:

Went skiing yesterday with DD at Copper Mountain. It was a sunny day in the 30s. The conditions were just about perfect with packed powder and we had a great time.

Attachments

• Butt_freeze.jpg
    Butt_freeze.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 33
I'm sitting here waiting for the Verizon tech to call back. Santa brought me a Samsung Galaxy SIII for xmas, and Mr B is downtown at the store getting it activated for me. I can't remember my gmail password, so I am trying to get it redone online. Still waiting for the verification code to come to my cell phone. Zzzzzzzzz...

Once it is all set up, I'll go order some screen protectors and a case for it. I'm hoping I can find a case that has a flip over cover to protect it from everything else in my pocketbook. It's a jungle in there. :LOL:

My closed loop water heating system is semi frozen. This always happens when we have subzero temps. I have a ceramic heater defrosting the pipe on the north wall section of one of the zones. I have to reprogram my digital thermostat so the heat will stay on higher all night and prevent the semi-frozen situation.

It's always something...

Its close to 50 degrees here in the Colorado mountains. I put my new chains on the plow truck today. Maybe I won't need them again this year if these temps continue.

Its close to 50 degrees here in the Colorado mountains. I put my new chains on the plow truck today. Maybe I won't need them again this year if these temps continue.

We all know how that works. If you don't put the chains on you'll get six feet.

Two projects today...
1. Going through the contacts list on my LG Lucid cell phone and making sure all of them transferred to my Samsung Galaxy S3. Most made it over from the cloud, but a few key ones are missing. So I have no choice but to go through the entire list and crosscheck.
Argh!
2. Adding all of Mr B's contacts from his ancient flip phone to his new Samsung Galaxy S3 Mini. The Verizon tech tried to download his contacts from the cloud but it failed.
Triple Argh!

This exercise actually forces me to weed out contacts that I no longer need. Same for him. Amazing how they pile up over time.

I really like my new phone. Bigger screen size, easier touch functionality, better menus than the dinosaur Lucid.
Mr B has never used a touch phone, so there will be a bit of a learning curve for him.

As he always says..."I want to make calls and take calls. Period." :LOL:

Last edited:
Just dropped BIL at the airport. DS departed 2 days ago, DD 10 days ago. Alone (with DW) again, naturally. :)

Sold and closed on our last rent house yesterday. Proceeds will be enough to pay off our retirement home after which we'll have zero debt.

This is the last major financial hurdle to complete before we retire

DH is planning to retire on his 50th b-day (4/4/2015) and I'm going to work until January 2016 so I can withdraw from my 401k without penalty (Roth IRA rollovers are part of our financial planning).

Now just need to finalize health insurance plans and get a few final remodeling things done while I'm working... the real countdown to RE has started :)

Took the Christmas tree to the recycle drop-off, cleaned up the needles, took the glass and plastic to the recycling, got the credit slip for $15 to use at the grocery store on Sunday, downloaded Turbo Tax premier for $30, doing some chores around the house right now while munching on mixed nuts (gift from xmas) and listening to music on my HT/audio system.

Will probably order a pizza and hot wings for dinner tonight while sipping a bargain wine.

We recently made our seasonal journey south, the drive was enjoyable as ever, lots of RV's on the road. Saw two new ones this time. One, an RV with a speedboat in tow. The other, an RV with a golf cart in back. Couldn't get a photo of the speedboat.

Attachments

• golf cart.jpg
    golf cart.jpg
    381.4 KB · Views: 33
I do not see this as a laughing matter.

Would that not give you a heck of a frost bite? Not being able to sit and having to sleep on your stomach for months? And then, when you recover, having to buy a new wardrobe?

Well, there are two possibilities...it can either be frozen off (FMAO) or laughed off (LMAO).

;)

We've had a week of temperatures in the single digits over night so drove out to our river camp this morning to check it out. This is the South Branch of the Potomac and it's nearly covered with ice. We weren't expecting to see this much of the river covered but it does move very slowly in front of our place. You can see how much the wind has been blowing by the uneven surface of the ice.

img_1542300_0_d38ea96f6075091055a748b312dffb8f.jpg

img_1542300_1_0e1d00bd125e2e3aeb0227e3291dad4e.jpg

I'm spending the day watching football with Mr B. I half listen to the first half but will closely watch the second half.
I did some leg lifts and upper arm exercises with my 2 handled resistance band while seated in my recliner. Ouch...my stomach muscles are complaining a bit.

He made a huge pot of Caldo Verde yesterday with real linguica from NH. We added some salt pork for a little extra flavor. I love it when he pulls out the Portuguese cookbook and throws me out of the kitchen. :D We let it sit outside in the cold overnight to let the flavors develop.
Recipe here
Portuguese Kale Soup | Caldo Verde Recipe | Leite's Culinaria

I had a small bowl earlier with some fresh Italian bread. I feel hungry again. Hmmmm...some tomato soup enriched with some of my homegrown basil and Asiago cheese is appealing to me. Or maybe some nachos and cheese, or pretzel rods dipped in melted xsharp cheddar cheese.

Decisions, decisions...

I brewed 5 gallons of what I hope will be a nice dark ale in a few weeks.

I watched the snow come down. I watched my snow plow guy push it all off the driveway. :LOL:

I surfed the web, looking for a pull tab ticket counting device for the Legion at Mr B's request. I found one but it is ridiculously expensive.

There is a luscious boneless chuck pot roast in the crockpot, cooking for over 4 hours now. The aroma is unbelievable. Gravy Master is the best stuff to flavor pot roast. Mmmm mmmm mmmmmmmm.

We're watching 2 1/2 Men re-runs on FX and laughing our heads off. Next up will be Law and Order re-runs.
I don't think Mr B and I have spent an entire full day together for months. It's kinda cozy. :D

Spent the entire day with my stomach tied in knots.

With my recent realization that I'm not getting subsidized HI through megacorp AND learning that when I leave megacorp I can only do a one-time withdrawal of my 401k (which as a result will have to be a rollover to an IRA) there is no reason to wait until my 55th b-day to retire.

I've spent all day running numbers (again) in multiple retirement planners, looking at income streams, doing proforma taxes, looking at the ACA health exchanges and scrutinizing our retirement budget. I'm within a hair of having of nervous breakdown (not literally but my brain hurts). Thank goodness work is slow :cool:

The money from the sale of our rent house hit our bank acct today and I'll be paying off all but about $25k of our current house. I'm leaving a balance until we can get a HELOC in place.

Frankly I'm scared to quit. I thought Sept 1, 2016 was the very earliest that I could leave so it still hasn't really sunk in that I can leave now. I still enjoy what I do and I make VERY good money so I plan to take the decision to leave one day at a time until I'm comfortable with the decision. Also there is BIG workforce reduction coming this year so I'm hoping to get let go. If I'm WFRed I get about 9 months severance.

I do have a ton of stuff I want to do once I'm done working but I'm not quite ready to say "done".

Still bumming around Florids in the truck camper. Some good paddling around Ormond Beach and St Augustine. Lots of alligators.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1421132195.609233.jpg

Got drenched in the rain today. Campsite is now a pond lol. Thank heavens for gortex ...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom