Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 04:45 PM   #13021
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We are having my mom, one of my brothers-in-law and his wife, my daughter and her boyfriend coming over for dinner tonight.

As I am not hosting Christmas this year, tomorrow we will go to my brother for the big family dinner, where I will contribute a big pan of fideua.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-24-2013, 07:47 PM   #13022
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustward View Post
Steamed two dozen super-spicy home made chicken tamales.

Mmmmmmm, sounds good!

Old 12-25-2013, 05:40 AM   #13023

Great day yesterday, family & friends in town for Christmas and we played board/card games before making pizza in the outdoor oven. First time cooking pizza for 6 people but it turned out well. Small pizzas cook in about 3 minutes so don't have a long wait for more! Oven will still be hot this morning to cook the Christmas turkey later today. Merry Christmas to all.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:10 AM   #13024

DH could not make it home for Christmas Eve ( working in another country). Managed to come back for Christmas and I cooked Lunch and dinner. Went for a brisk walk too and watched a scary movie - The Conjuring.
Old 12-25-2013, 09:29 AM   #13025
Moderator Emeritus

12/24 - Installed the second new Kohler toilet in our new(er) home, changed the oil in daughter's Fusion, tried to organize the garage so at least one car can fit in there (moving box genie keeps making new empty boxes and old toilets). Put new water hoses on outdoor hose bibs, avoided the last minute shoppers...
Old 12-26-2013, 06:17 AM   #13026

Christmas went well, no drama at all as some were concerned about. The little tykes had a great time and their parents had a hard time getting all the stuff in their car for the drive home. And as usual about three times the amount of food that could possibly have been consumed. But I tried, how I tried!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Christmas_2013-1.jpg (164.1 KB, 19 views)
Old 12-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #13027
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

My usual Thursady workout at the Y. A few regulars were present whining complaining about the Decembaer Malaise, weight gain.

Afterwards went for breakfest at a recently opened diner/yarn shop. They had no breakfest menu. But said will next year. So I had a bowl of chili. About halfway through I started sneezing, my long forgotten allergies kicked in. Must be some of the volatile synthetic content of the yarn shop. Should have known better than to walk into a place like that. Curiosity could have killed this alley cat.

At home we have gotten rid of all crap that exudes noxious fumes, years ago.

Anywhoo, I wont be back there again. The usual places where I eat breakfest will be the winners of the experiment.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:33 AM   #13028
Give me a forum ...

I had a wonderful evening at the family dinner hosted by my brother last night. Only my side of family, and 3 were out of town, but we still had 19. We all brought a side dish, and we had a smorgasbord of food that were all good.

We started at 6PM, and I stayed until 12:30AM, talking with my two brothers while we were sipping XO cognac, then XO rum, and tequila too. No, nobody was drunk, as evidenced by the fact that we talked politics and yet nobody raised his voice over any disagreement.

I will be hosting New Year Eve, and this time my wife's side will be included.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:51 AM   #13029

We don't celebrate Christmas so our two sons came over and we went to the movies. We chose Philomena instead of Anchorman 2 which was the right decision. The movie was very good.

Came home and had a lasagna that I had prepared the night before. DH made phone calls to his Mom and all of his siblings (Colorado and New Jersey).

Nice day together, no gifts to return and there is even a little lasagna left over.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #13030
Moderator Emeritus

We hosted a Christmas "dinner" for 20 people yesterday. We ate way too much -10 courses over a ~12-hour period- but it was great fun. Today we did some clean-up and we are gearing towards a very light supper tonight.
Old 12-26-2013, 12:20 PM   #13031
Dryer sheet wannabe

I listened to my dad and uncle try to figure out if my uncle has been getting scammed by this " give us money and you win $450000" deal. Over a little time he's given them $20000. I could only think about if he would of just invested it...
Old 12-26-2013, 01:41 PM   #13032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damienqwerty View Post
I listened to my dad and uncle try to figure out if my uncle has been getting scammed by this " give us money and you win $450000" deal. Over a little time he's given them $20000. I could only think about if he would of just invested it...
There was an article in the Wall Street Journal on this last Tuesday. The statistics for those over 60 are pretty bad. I would link the article, but I can't figure out how to link WSJ articles without a login any more.

A good friend, about 65, got scammed last summer. He was so sure he had won money, he was trying to borrow money from his friends because he had already given them everything he could get his hands on.
Old 12-26-2013, 04:22 PM   #13033
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Yesterday my neighbors brought me some dinner; I showed them how to take care of the house and critters while I am gone.
Today I packed for tomorrow's flight.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:08 PM   #13034

Went to the gym. In spite of being promised that calories consumed on Christmas don't count, apparently they do. How could I gain two pounds in one day?

Practiced forward flight in a circle with the helicopter in the family room.
Old 12-26-2013, 07:42 PM   #13035

My wife and I took a walk in Redwood Regional Park. Saw some ladybug swarms. Could be the warm weather? Maybe it's ladybug season in CA? Don't know enough about ladybug ecology. It was a nice day for a walk though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Redwood 1.jpg (436.7 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg Redwood 2.jpg (540.2 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg Redwood 3.jpg (475.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Redwood 4.jpg (305.5 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg Redwood 7.jpg (261.7 KB, 13 views)
Old 12-27-2013, 06:19 AM   #13036

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Sounds like the helicopter is working out. We had 4 of the same copters delivered here for Christmas. I was able to give some quick lessons to 2 of our guests who had never flown one before. These fly very well and are remarkably durable!

I tried mine outside for a while on Christmas day and the light winds we had here early made for some interesting flights- flying in to the wind, your copter will want to climb and away it will want to fall quickly. I know they say that they are good for out doors but didn't take much of wind to make it harder than I wanted to deal with. The battery lasts about as long as my attention span so another plus.

Be careful not to fly the helicopter on your head as it tells you on the box.
Old 12-27-2013, 08:37 AM   #13037

Woke up with a headache from last nights festivities.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:24 AM   #13038

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Went to the gym. In spite of being promised that calories consumed on Christmas don't count, apparently they do. How could I gain two pounds in one day?

I was feeling pretty good about getting helicopters for the kids (22 & 23) and me. Opened them up on Christmas morning and the kids were impressed. Then we figured out each transmitter needed 6 AA batteries. Scrounged enough batteries to get one off the ground.

Just dropped the daughter off at the airport this morning, but she didn't have room for here helicopter, so now I have two.
Old 12-27-2013, 09:41 AM   #13039
Give me a forum ...

I don't know about these flying things. With poor eye/hand coordination like I have, it would not last long. And I would have to wear goggles in case it flies into my face. Have you seen the news about how a larger 6-lb RC chopper can do?

Toy RC helicopter decapitates man [VIDEO]: Roman Pirozek, 19, scalped to death after losing control in Brooklyn park | Christian News on Christian Today
Old 12-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #13040
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I don't know about these flying things. With poor eye/hand coordination like I have, it would not last long. And I would have to wear goggles in case it flies into my face. Have you seen the news about how a larger 6-lb RC chopper can do?

Toy RC helicopter decapitates man [VIDEO]: Roman Pirozek, 19, scalped to death after losing control in Brooklyn park | Christian News on Christian Today
There are toy copters and then there are others...

"Pirozek was dead when police arrived at the scene involving the high-end RV model helicopter, which costs $1,500 and weighs 6 pounds. The device has a blade span of 62 inches and a rotor that spins at over 2,000rpm."

(kind of like a flying chain saw ^^^^)