what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
what did you do today?

Curious...what's the table for?

Was wondering the same thing.

Maybe high volume Lemonade Stand?

I wish!

When I quit work, the people at work asked me to build a blueprint table. Something for them to assemble sets of engineering plans. Usually 24"x36"' but up to 36"x48" sheet size. They wanted a big table, so I figured I'd make the top a 4 x8 sheet of plywood. I'm beefing it up with 3/4" mdf underneath, making the top 1-1/2" thick.

Here's the rough sketch I started out with. But I'm taking out the middle legs and making the corner posts a 6"x 6" L shaped support that wraps around the corners of the bottom shelf and supports the top. All oak. I'm delivering it in 3 pieces plus legs and assembling on site probably a week from Monday.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1424395388.872042.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Last edited:
Ronstar, Why so heavy? We have similar at corporate headquarters but it's a gate leg design so you can fold to a more manageable size when not in use.

what did you do today?

I don't know why I'm overdoing it. I'm just getting carried away I guess. But they are going to load up a bunch of rolls of print paper on the bottom shelf.

I don't know why I'm overdoing it. I'm just getting carried away I guess. But they are going to load up a bunch of rolls of print paper on the bottom shelf.

Folding "A" frame with holes through it could hold paper. Just ignore me, still in problem solving mode from helping two classmates......and this is not a problem. It's a table. Shutting up and going away.:greetings10:

Picked up my tax forms from the preparer. He saved us $500+. Earned his fee and I don't have to screw with it anymore...

Maybe they can use it for square dancing when they put the blue prints away? ;)

Left slightly chilly SW FL and flew to totally freaking miserable frozen DC area. WTF am I doing here! Oh yeah, DGD's birthday. I hope she realizes how much we love her.

Drove up to Orlando yesterday with DW to see DD and so some mother / daughter things. While they did their thing I heard there were local of auditions for Sharknado 3. I wanted to apply but DD said to forget it - I don't look like a shark.

Getting chilly down here. Hope you folks in the frozen tundra covering 2/3 of the US are staying warm.

I'm building a monster 4' x 8' table in my 42° workshop. Not bad considering the outside temp is 4°. I don't know how I'm going to get the table out of the garage. It's going to take a few of us to move it, and I'll have to clear a path to the driveway first. Unless it melts. That doesn't look likely.
Maybe install heavy duty casters on the legs ? :flowers:

It was based on the first book of a big non sequential series of books.

I should have worded that differently - by original I meant not a formulaic typical Hollywood script, not that it wasn't based on a book.

Last edited:
Was just notified that all teleworkers in the US in my company will be laid off this year. I'm 300 miles from the closest office so it looks like I'll be moving to the class of 2015.

We'll be ok financially, but I wanted to go out on my own terms and not be forced out... although getting let go I will be able to file for unemployment.

Don't know when exactly I'll be let go but I've got a punch list of health/dental stuff to get done sooner rather than later.

Was just notified that all teleworkers in the US in my company will be laid off this year. I'm 300 miles from the closest office so it looks like I'll be moving to the class of 2015.

We'll be ok financially, but I wanted to go out on my own terms and not be forced out... although getting let go I will be able to file for unemployment.

Don't know when exactly I'll be let go but I've got a punch list of health/dental stuff to get done sooner rather than later.
That's tough - good thing you're prepared. Good idea to focus on health and dental.

The last few days have been busy.
Wed I found out my Italian teacher is reneging on her offer to let me take the exam this coming Monday after class Wed, or after class the following Wed. (I will be out of town on Monday - and she rescheduled from the original test date.) Good thing she drops one test score - because I'll now have a locked in F for Monday's exam.

Then I took my younger son to the orthopedist... They removed the temp cast, re-xrayed, confirmed the break - but it's a very minor fracture - no displacement... 6 weeks in a cast should do it. Talked to his baseball coach - he'll miss the first month of the season, but they'll let him play after that.

Then I went to a school forum. Our magnet IB middle school lost some grants for next year - looks like they will be challenged to fully meet the IB criteria. Fortunately, I already put in an application to the other middle school that offers international baccalaureate middle years program. This forum was 3 days AFTER the deadline to apply to other magnet schools in the district... coincidence? I think not.

Yesterday and this morning I started the day with walks on the beach with the dog.
Yesterday I finished our taxes and did a costco run.
Today I'm doing laundry and housework - all prep to leave DH with a "readied" house as he plays single dad and I head to the Northwest tonight to visit my best friend.

...It's a dirty j*b, but somebody had to do it. I loaded up my Crystal Gayle CDs, popped another top, and am doing some enhanced dancing in the living room...

I went to Google and could not find "enhanced dancing". Just what is this "enhanced dancing" you speak of?

I went to Google and could not find "enhanced dancing". Just what is this "enhanced dancing" you speak of?

Most likely 6" stilettos and matching mini skirt:hide:

Most likely 6" stilettos and matching mini skirt:hide:

Nope...dancing enhanced by a nice beer buzz. :dance:

No beer for me for the next month...I'm on antibiotics for a minor (thank god) root abscess and then...oh joy...I get one tooth extracted on March 5th, then another on March 17th. Argh. :nonono:

It will be one heck of a party once I'm cleared of all this nonsense. :LOL:

No beer for me for the next month...I'm on antibiotics for a minor (thank god) root abscess and then...oh joy...I get one tooth extracted on March 5th, then another on March 17th. Argh. :nonono:

I've always found that a good dousing with 80 proof or higher alcohol is at least as effective as an antibiotic.

First off, started catching up on some threads here and leanred that the Anthem hack also included affiliated BCBS in several states, including ours. Rut row! Checked the BCBS site, and no mention of it it there - see no evil, speak no evil... OK, signed up with AllClearID, will see where that gets me.

Next order of business, for kicks followed up on Federal efile & logged in to see how the IRS felt about things - return approved, and refund to be deposited soon - only 8 days after submitting, not bad.

Now to wait for today's FedEx delivery of adult signature required, uh, investment in wine futures :D

Many people take a trip when they retire. I'm getting into flute playing big time. Spending this weekend at a flute convention, and I'm having a blast. We were snowed in at the hotel basically. Leaving late today but the roads will be fine by then. Gotta show off my new baby--it's a bass flute. ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1424610009.492847.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Many people take a trip when they retire. I'm getting into flute playing big time. Spending this weekend at a flute convention, and I'm having a blast. We were snowed in at the hotel basically. Leaving late today but the roads will be fine by then. Gotta show off my new baby--it's a bass flute.

Molto cool! I'm in the process of teaching myself to almost be able to play flute, so I can add it to the large collection of instruments I can almost play. I've always been drawn to the bass genre of any instrument. Bass guitar, bari and bass sax, contra bass clarinet are all in my repertoire of poorly played instruments. I like to feel the notes in my belly when I play. I'm going to have to look for some bass flute videos. It looks like it could be difficult to hold, but I'm sure there's a trick to it.

A very busy day yesterday. DW was out all day (and has been busy lately) so I washed two loads, straightened the house, shopped for groceries, made dinner, cleaned the kitchen. She helped by steaming the asparagus, I marinated and grilled lamb chops and made some really tasty roasted red potatoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom