Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #13941
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Cooked three truly awesome racks of baby back ribs in the BGE. I've been doing this for about three years now, and I believe I've finally got the technique nailed. So much better than any restaurant ribs I've ever bought anywhere.
I love ribs. Do you use a wet or dry rub, sweet or spicy?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2014, 08:11 PM   #13942

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
To deal with the conflicting info, probably the best way to approach it is to measure you blood sugar after eating different things. Most agree that anything that spikes the blood glucose is bad. But it's tricky and error-prone, and no fun to be pricking your finger a lot.

That's exactly what I do. I test about 1 hour after meals. I prefer my glucose be below 140. If it spikes above that I try to figure out which item of what I ate spiked my glucose, and eliminate it or reduce the amount I consume of it.

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 04-30-2014, 08:46 PM   #13943
Moderator Emeritus

Today has been unseasonably hot, for sure one of the hottest days I have experienced in San Francisco to date. The temperature in my apartment has reached the mid-80s (no A/C so I have to suffer through it), but it still beats being in the sun. So I stayed home most of the day and put together a new terrarium with a beach theme (sand, rock, mussel shells, and drift wood):

Old 04-30-2014, 09:00 PM   #13944
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

You said that they did not allow windows AC, but how about a free-standing AC?

The problem is with the hot air exhaust, which I think can be attached to a kitchen external exhaust (unlikely) or the cloth dryer exhaust.
Old 04-30-2014, 09:01 PM   #13945
Administrator

The last day of the month is always "Fun with Excel Day" in the W2R household. I closed out my spreadsheet for April's spending, compared it with last year's (looking good, woo-hoo!). I recorded a new high net worth due to the record high market values today, that were high enough to put a smile on anybody's face.

Earlier in the day we went to the gym, and I completed my usual weight lifting routine so I feel tired in a good way.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 04-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #13946
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
You said that they did not allow windows AC, but how about a free-standing AC?

The problem is with the hot air exhaust, which I think can be attached to a kitchen external exhaust (unlikely) or the cloth dryer exhaust.
AC units of all kinds are prohibited. We just use a couple of box fans to cool the place down when the temps drop in the 50s or 60s at night. When we moved here in 2012, our bodies had a hard time tolerating the heat because we were so used to the AC being cranked up at home, in the car, and pretty much everywhere else. But we've adapted and the heat is now more bearable.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:50 AM   #13947
Recycles dryer sheets

We're in the midst of a six week RV trip around the Southwest, and yesterday we 'played' in Guadalupe Mountains National Park. Hiked over 10 miles, during which we spotted two rattlesnakes. The first alerted us to his presence with a vigorous shaking of his tail. That was a first for us both . . . I think we easily cleared four feet each as we simultaneously leaped backward and away.

I've spotted many a rattlesnake over the years during our hikes, but I've never been close enough to receive a warning!
Old 05-01-2014, 06:53 AM   #13948
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetiredAndFree View Post
. . . I think we easily cleared four feet each as we simultaneously leaped backward and away.

DW encountered one in our back yard a few years ago. I had no idea she could move that fast!

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-01-2014, 08:02 AM   #13949
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Cooked three truly awesome racks of baby back ribs in the BGE. I've been doing this for about three years now, and I believe I've finally got the technique nailed. So much better than any restaurant ribs I've ever bought anywhere.
+1.... love the BGE! Have a large and a mini on the deck..made pizza Tuesday night..
Old 05-01-2014, 08:08 AM   #13950

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
AC units of all kinds are prohibited.
Why would they do that? Is the wiring not updated to handle the load, or is electricity included in the rent and they don't want to pay the bill?

That would be an absolute deal-killer for me if I was renting an apartment.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:22 AM   #13951
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Why would they do that? Is the wiring not updated to handle the load, or is electricity included in the rent and they don't want to pay the bill?

That would be an absolute deal-killer for me if I was renting an apartment.
I am not sure why AC units are not allowed but it could be because of the noise, unsightly units or hoses sticking out of windows, or the fear of water damage due to condensation. Our search for a rental was arduous enough, we did not have the luxury to be picky.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:35 AM   #13952

While not FIRE'd yet, I took off early on Monday, and started building a trellis that I have been procrastinating about for ages. Didn't get much started, just 3 of 4 poles in the ground, and one cross-member, as it started to rain. But, it was a nice start. And felt like I accomplished something!
Old 05-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #13953

Quote:
When we moved here in 2012, our bodies had a hard time tolerating the heat because we were so used to the AC being cranked up at home, in the car, and pretty much everywhere else. But we've adapted and the heat is now more bearable.
I had the very opposite experience with my move from LA to SF. I had been used to living without A/C in Los Angeles, and rode my bicycle outside a lot so was acclimatized to that heat. For my first year in the Bay Area, I lived in the very western part of SF, a few blocks from the beach in Ocean Beach. It was a ground floor unit with no heating and I moved there in January. I shivered a lot during those first few months. It was damp and chilly - the kind of cold you feel in your bones, and I wondered how people could possibly exist here. My body adapted, but the Southern California climate had really babied me.

It's interesting how there are so many different micro climates in SF. Where I lived, out by the coast, I didn't see the sun a whole lot during July, which came as a surprise. There were many completely overcast days there, though downtown was enjoying the sun. The area around 9th and Irving was the first place I had ever seen fog actually roll down the street. The weather sure is interesting in SF.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:37 AM   #13954
Give me a forum ...

According to the Web, SF will hit 87F high today with 40% humidity. Phoenix will hit a high of 88F, but with 8% humidity.

Having lived in the SW for so long, I am so used to the dry air. I have found that temperature in the mid 80s is not so bad when the air is dry. Even up to the high 80s is still OK with a breeze.

When RV'ing and camping in places without electric hookup, I prefer to be in a place where it's cool or even cold at night. It is difficult for me to sleep with the temperature warmer than 80F.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:42 AM   #13955

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Having lived in the SW for so long, I am so used to the dry air. I have found that temperature in the mid 80s is not so bad when the air is dry. Even up to the high 80s is still OK with a breeze.

When RV'ing and camping in places without electric hookup, I prefer to be in a place where it's cool or even cold at night. It is difficult for me to sleep with the temperature warmer than 80F.
I lived in Reno for 3 years and loved that dry desert heat. Even when it got up to and past 100, it didn't bother me a whole lot because I didn't perspire. However, as you imply, humidity can make even a relatively modest 80F quite miserable.

The combination of heat and humidity turn me into a non-productive slug.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:46 AM   #13956
Give me a forum ...

Well, you did perspire but as the sweat instantly dried up, it cooled your body.

Here, even when the air temperature is in the 100-110F range (38-43C), people shiver when they get out of the swimming pool! The evaporation makes you cold. I always have towels handy to dry myself up. Then, it's OK to relax and sip that cool drink.
Old 05-01-2014, 11:55 AM   #13957
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
I had the very opposite experience with my move from LA to SF. I had been used to living without A/C in Los Angeles, and rode my bicycle outside a lot so was acclimatized to that heat. For my first year in the Bay Area, I lived in the very western part of SF, a few blocks from the beach in Ocean Beach. It was a ground floor unit with no heating and I moved there in January. I shivered a lot during those first few months. It was damp and chilly - the kind of cold you feel in your bones, and I wondered how people could possibly exist here. My body adapted, but the Southern California climate had really babied me.

It's interesting how there are so many different micro climates in SF. Where I lived, out by the coast, I didn't see the sun a whole lot during July, which came as a surprise. There were many completely overcast days there, though downtown was enjoying the sun. The area around 9th and Irving was the first place I had ever seen fog actually roll down the street. The weather sure is interesting in SF.
I live in the very eastern part of SF which is much sunnier, warmer, and drier than the western side. But I never leave home without a down jacket in my backpack because, in SF, you just never know what how the weather is going to evolve. As of this hour, the temperatures in SF vary from 64F near the golden Gate Bridge to 85F on the bay side. It's quite a gradient for a city only 7-mile wide.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:01 PM   #13958

Quote:
But I never leave home without a down jacket in my backpack because, in SF, you just never know what how the weather is going to evolve.
Yes - and you can always tell who the tourists are because they are the ones wearing shorts and t-shirts in the late summer afternoons, unaware that as the sun goes down, it could well become quite chilly. Sometimes I look at them and think to myself, "You have no idea, but in about an hour from now, you'll find out!"
Old 05-01-2014, 12:11 PM   #13959
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
Yes - and you can always tell who the tourists are because they are the ones wearing shorts and t-shirts in the late summer afternoons, unaware that as the sun goes down, it could well become quite chilly. Sometimes I look at them and think to myself, "You have no idea, but in about an hour from now, you'll find out!"
I have never been colder than I was when living in that area! The fog can be so bone-chilling. I didn't have a down jacket, though. That sounds nice.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Sold some IRA funds today.
Old 05-01-2014, 12:23 PM   #13960
Recycles dryer sheets

Sold some IRA funds today.

Just a little bit- $45k total in 2-3 accounts.

AND I DO NOT LIKE THIS DANING GUY

Closed Thread