what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
PB4uski

I have never been a cat lover, but having taken a 17 year old "puppy" to the vet for a final time, I know how you feel. Condolences to you and your family on your loss.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Aww, PB, so good that you could help your daughter through this. I've been there many times myself, and it never gets easier. It does help to know that you all gave Jameson a great life and and end without suffering. That is the best gift we can give a beloved pet.

DD reluctantly agreed that he shouldn't suffer any longer.

She came to our house and she and DW buried him under a large pot of flowers in one of our gardens....

Reading this final gesture of love on your daughter and DW's part for the kitty brought a little tear to my eye. So sweet.

Reading this final gesture of love on your daughter and DW's part for the kitty brought a little tear to my eye. So sweet.

That is indeed a sweet thing to do. When we moved into our house almost 25 years ago, we noticed a large rock in the back yard. Painted on it, though faint and faded, were a heart and a cross and some crooked letters that seemed to be part of a name. We thought that it was a favored family pet long ago laid to rest by some grieving child. The faint lettering and symbols are now totally gone, but we have never moved the rock.

Thank you all for the condolences. DD seems to have accepted the loss well and said a number of times last night that "its good" knowing that she did the right thing for Jameson and that he is buried here "at home". I told her that she should feel good that she provided a much better life for him than he would have had as a stray like when she rescued him. I'm not usually very emotional about things like this but for some reason that little guy touched me.

Got my pup to the vet at 7 a.m. for her surgery. The surgery became more complicated with surprises in her mouth and the chest X-ray that says she has a slightly larger heart than before. This along with her heart murmur. Several things going out to be biopsied. 2 lumpy things turned out to be three lumpy things. All in all about $1k extra stuff, not what I was expecting but you have to get all the testing done for your baby.

But this changes the birthday plans I had going - was going to be gone a week from home but there will be more vet visits during that time and I want to be able to watch her longer after her surgery. Besides, that extra $1000 took a lot of my vacation money.

She's a huge part of my life and so worth it.

We did another hike. This one was also about 4 miles, but only a 1500 ft elevation change. It was a lot easier than the one earlier in the week we did, which was 4 miles and 2000 ft.

And we have been having just one meal a day, because I cannot hike after eating. And the hike killed my appetite. Besides dinner, just a light snack for lunch. Won't be long now before I become just skin and bone (BMI of 24 now). :)

Sold another air gun today. I'm getting rid of "stuff" and these were gathering dust. EBay won't let me sell even an air gun, so I'm using Gunbroker.com. Amazing what people pay for these. An old air pistol I bought at a garage sale for $10 went for $57 and a modern, but 15 year old pistol sold for the same price as a new one on Amazon.

One more air gun to go. Ka-ching!

Got my pup to the vet at 7 a.m. for her surgery. The surgery became more complicated with surprises in her mouth and the chest X-ray that says she has a slightly larger heart than before. This along with her heart murmur. Several things going out to be biopsied. 2 lumpy things turned out to be three lumpy things. All in all about $1k extra stuff, not what I was expecting but you have to get all the testing done for your baby.

But this changes the birthday plans I had going - was going to be gone a week from home but there will be more vet visits during that time and I want to be able to watch her longer after her surgery. Besides, that extra $1000 took a lot of my vacation money.

Priorities shift when you follow your heart. :)

Maybe you just gave her another birthday. Celebrate then! :)

Thank you all for the condolences. DD seems to have accepted the loss well and said a number of times last night that "its good" knowing that she did the right thing for Jameson and that he is buried here "at home". I told her that she should feel good that she provided a much better life for him than he would have had as a stray like when she rescued him. I'm not usually very emotional about things like this but for some reason that little guy touched me.

I am so sorry for your DD's and your loss. Condolences to all of you. Jameson was lucky to be a member of your family, and he was obviously well-loved. Your DD gave him the greatest gift she could give him - a peaceful end.

I have had to make that final trip with 5 of my own cats over the past 20 years, and with several cats of friends who either needed the emotional support, or couldn't do it themselves. It is always heart-wrenching, but what matters in the end is what's best for the furry companion. I'm glad Jameson is "home" again.

Oh boy, I've been there several times. I used to tell my old vet I hoped she appreciated all the vacations a couple of my cats with recurring conditions sent HER on!!

I hope Frankie recovers quickly from today's surgery, and that the results of the biopsies are not bad news. We do what we have to for these little critters, and they repay it a hundredfold. :flowers:

We're still on a decluttering kick. Yesterday we donated an old piece of furniture to charity. Today I've been getting rid of all the empty boxes and a lot of odds and ends in the garage. I have more items laid out to donate tomorrow.

I'm even getting a bit better at organizing food. I cleared out the fridge today and roasted all the leftover veggies in the crock pot with olive oil and Italian seasonings.

Friday was a practice RE day for me. I left off the Biz Iphone, and didn't log in to my biz e-mail either (a big deal for me to do this).

After coffee, I went on a short neighborhood walk & during it spoke to a couple of old friends also out.

Woke up my DW we headed out w/ the doggie & picked up chicken biscuits, then drove to a nearby trail. Had our breakfast, then hit the trail and put in ~45 mins thru the woods and along a pretty creek. Back home and I got ready for my PT appt for my frozen shoulder (takes a while for this to resolve itself). Then dropped by WMart and picked up a light combo rod and real, planning to try a little trout fishing at a nearby river soon.

Tried to get fishing license but for what ever reason needed to give the DNR my SS# and did not feel OK logging that in at the WMart...so I'll go on line at home to do that.

Late afternoon DW and I went to Food Truck / Free Concert at a nearby town and had some good food and enjoyed the band that was playing.

Great weather for all the above. I still need to "just relax" more but I'm working on it.

Friday was a practice RE day for me. I left off the Biz Iphone, and didn't log in to my biz e-mail either (a big deal for me to do this).
Great weather for all the above. I still need to "just relax" more but I'm [-]working[/-]:eek: practicing on it.

Practice makes perfect! :):)

Bottled 5 gallons of dark ale.

what did you do today?

I'm working on a local "ham cram" class, with 60-odd students. I just finished generating sets of answer keys for test grading (W5YI VEC) and in a few hours I'll be grading a whole bunch of exams to be taken by the students.

5:30 AM setup, and we'll be done around 5 PM. Long busy day with a couple hours of downtime in the middle.

Gumby's day sounds like it might be more fun...

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Observed a $tarbuck$ barista sporting the apple watch. He is not the owner. Must be good money in the barista business.

Slept late, read part of a book, gym with DW, she had a hankering to go to a restaurant for lunch so we did that and ate salads. Nice lazy day.

Made omelets for breakfast - a little left over steak from last night.

Did the Sunday grocery shopping, put everything away.

Went to the San Diego Buddhist Temple for a martial arts demo our group agreed to do as part of their big Spring Japanese Festival/Bizarre.

Big turn out - lots of interesting demonstrations (Japanese brush painting, calligraphy, taiko (drums), martial arts). Lots to eat. Our group got free lunch tickets for showing support.

Back at home relaxing and enjoying a cold beverage on the back patio before firing up the grill to cook up fajitas for dinner.

Last edited:
Still packing, went out to buy more boxes and twine, and had a pleasant lunch with Frank.

Made a nice breakfast then puttered around the house for a while. Around midday took a pontoon ride around the lake with sister and DW. Later played in 9 hole scramble at the club and had dinner with the group we play with on Sundays in the dining room.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom