Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #1441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Played golf today and it was a very pretty day. Starting to get warm though.

Heading to Tuscaloosa, AL tomorrow for my niece's graduation. Got a degree in nursing. She didn't do very well in high school, but she sure got her head screwed on when she made it to college. Wish her dad was still alive to see what she's accomplished.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

duse if my mower
Old 05-08-2009, 08:08 PM   #1442
Give me a forum ...

duse if my mower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
Maybe I should check my fuel filter

I do believe I would be kicked out of the Ladies' Wednesday Morning Tea & Crumpet Society for the language I would have used if my mower did this today.
I'm amazed that synthetic oil did that. TY for the heads up.

Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 PM   #1443

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg54 View Post
Pretty grass. I'm into grass you know.
Yes, grass is good as long as its green, but it wont stay like this for long once the monsoons end
Old 05-09-2009, 03:56 AM   #1444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Attention to detail strikes again...What is the significance of the four 9s to the left and right of the Maple Leaf ?
I think it's 99.99% gold.
Old 05-09-2009, 04:08 AM   #1445
Give me a forum ...

I couldn't resist making a youtube post here.

Old 05-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #1446
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Attention to detail strikes again...What is the significance of the four 9s to the left and right of the Maple Leaf ?
Purity. It's 0.9999 gold.
Old 05-09-2009, 02:52 PM   #1447
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Heading to Tuscaloosa, AL tomorrow for my niece's graduation. Got a degree in nursing. She didn't do very well in high school, but she sure got her head screwed on when she made it to college. Wish her dad was still alive to see what she's accomplished.
Congratulations to her and to you Dawg. I am sure having you as her involved uncle was a great comfort and strngth to her.

Ha
Old 05-09-2009, 03:52 PM   #1448
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I know how you feel . I often wish my brother were alive to see his grandchildren . It makes so many happy events bittersweet .
Old 05-09-2009, 09:13 PM   #1449
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went on a walk in West Seattle today -- billed as 3 miles, turned out to be 6! And of course we went up the West Seattle Hill to get to the beach (rather than around). Great views of the city from this area, too bad I didn't bring the heavy camera.

I'm feeling the walk now. They say what doesn't kill 'ya, makes 'ya strong.

-- Rita
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P5090019.jpg (392.2 KB, 6 views)
Old 05-09-2009, 09:24 PM   #1450
Give me a forum ...

Thinned my radishes. Said hello to my newly sprouted onions and peas. Harvested a small handful of tender fresh asparagus. Pulled a few weeds.
Raked out the grapevine bed and put down lawnscape fabric in the walkway between rows. Recruited the man to pound in the vertical support stakes for the grapevines. He's an excellent pounder.
Went to Harbor Freight to look for support cable, and scored a set of 8 augering 30" metal stakes for $20. These will support the vertical posts.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4597423_buil...e-trellis.html
Hit a local Greek restaurant and pigged out on calamarika, beef and shrimp kabobs, rice pilaf and chocolate mouse for dessert. Colored with crayons on the white paper covering the tabletop.
Old 05-09-2009, 10:17 PM   #1451
Full time employment: Posting here.

Talked through a few things and feel so much better It is so good to have options and I sure have a lot of them!
Did an hour massage....I think I need to do them as much as my clients need them!
Took a long nap and went food shopping for Casanova.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:46 AM   #1452
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
How to Build a Grapevine Trellis | eHow.com
Hit a local Greek restaurant and pigged out on calamarika, beef and shrimp kabobs, rice pilaf and chocolate mouse for dessert.
My cats wished they could have been there
Old 05-10-2009, 11:49 AM   #1453
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Congratulations to her and to you Dawg. I am sure having you as her involved uncle was a great comfort and strngth to her.

Ha
Thanks. Although kind of tiny, she is a very strong girl. Enjoyed watching her step on stage and receive her diploma. But wish I could have slipped out the back door when she was done. Lord that was a long ceremony.

Afterward we all went to a nice restaurant. I had a fillet and boy was it good. Best part about it, my sis-in-law picked up the tab.
Annual Mother's Day rituals completed
Old 05-10-2009, 05:43 PM   #1454
Moderator Emeritus

Annual Mother's Day rituals completed

We successfully prepared our burnt offerings on the sacrificial altar of Weber, in the hopes of bringing the blessings of the Earth Mother to our home for another year.

Translation from Early Hippie:

We did out annual Mother's Day BBQ, serving up helpings of BBQ chicken, corn, and asparagus (favorites of DW and DMILaw). A nice spinach salad was consumed, and we finished with fresh strawberries.

Yum.
Old 05-10-2009, 06:04 PM   #1455
Administrator

My daughter called from Oregon to wish me Happy Mother's Day. That was so thoughtful of her.

Then Frank took me out to eat at a local Chinese restaurant. The waitress wanted to give me free wine for Mother's Day, but I told her that I don't drink - - so she brought free orange slices after our meal, instead. I felt suitably pampered.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 05-10-2009, 07:36 PM   #1456
Give me a forum ...

Mexican, the SO wanted Mexican so we did a highly recommened(by my doughnut shop buddies) restaurant. Prior to dinner next door Scout had escaped so I caught the little buzzard and put him back behind his fence(neighbors were out for Mother's Day dinner also). When we got back - it turns out Anne(little mixed breed mutt) had escaped also - so joined the neighbor walk around search - found two streets over on a porch visiting.

Luckily beat the Dog Catcher - it cost money to bail em out - or worse lost permanently.

heh heh heh - Went to Walmart and bought 5 plastic planters for the plants she picked out for her pre Mother's Day pick yer own plants/flowers at the nursery Saturday treat. We ate late yesterday - 5 hours of Brisket done on the Cajun II barrel smoker.

What's that Ha Ha tag line - eat what you want and die like a man? - not helping my 'ideal weight' any.
Old 05-10-2009, 09:04 PM   #1457
Moderator Emeritus

We took MIL to a new fondue restaurant for mother's day. We had a blast and the "flaming turtle" chocolate dipping sauce (milk chocolate/caramel/pecans) was fantastic. Had to take a bit of a nap afterwards though... Must have been all that fat.

Made reservations for our trip to San Fran. We used skymiles to pay for the airfare so we decided to splurge on a very nice hotel. We upgraded to a suite for only $30 extra per night. Actually, with our hotel rewards card I think we will get the upgrade for free. We are pondering whether to upgrade to business class for the flight. That would be a first for us. But for a 4.5 hour long flight it might be worth it...
Old 05-11-2009, 02:54 AM   #1458
Full time employment: Posting here.

Need to build new ones, but decided to use the flower boxes on the deck rail one more year.

Picked bright razz-berry and bright orange geraniums to put in them. Dazzling!

Want to put a bunch of basil in the big pot on the deck to use for making pizza.

As for pizza - for a special treat, make it with fresh mozzarella! Yum. (I have a pair of scissors that I use only for food prep - use them to cut thin slices of fresh mozzarella for pizza and for cutting the fresh basil. Also use them for cutting one of the pizza toppings: sun-dried tomatoes that are in olive oil. Fortunately these scissors go through the dishwasher without affecting the cutting operation. That is, they don't get stiff like my manual can opener does if I put it in the dishwasher).
Old 05-11-2009, 05:47 AM   #1459
Give me a forum ...

Crazy week coming up - today is my only scheduled goof off day.
I need to get shots for overseas travel for the summer cruise. I haven't been vaccinated for anything since 1976 (college) except the annual flu shot. Local county health clinic recommended I get MMR, Hep A/B combo, and TDAP. Then I go back for a 2nd shot (one of the Hep) in June.
Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh...I hate needles worse than w*rk. Hope they have good lollipops.
Other items...Teeth cleaning, dog to vet, Chinese buffet, lunch with retired former cow*rker, 2 expired car inspections, finish staining the porch floor, gardening...
It's tough being FIREd and being able to get these things done without you-know-what getting in the way.
Old 05-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #1460
Moderator Emeritus

Did a tour of my gardens, peonies are now up an inch. Daffodils blooming and the crocuses about done. Need to get a load of compost. Lots of weed pulling in my future. Pulled a few dandelions using my forked stick. Took a snooze, still recovering from my flu.

Tried to get on the computer after being off for a few days. Internet was not working right. Spent 1.45 hours on phone with ISP then .75 with router manufacturer. Finally up and running after a reinstall of router software. I begged the guy from India to please, please explain what could happen to cause previously working software to glitch out and require a reinstall? But he could not explain for me. But I did get him to laugh with me over the top begging.

No more lawyer stuff, no more political stuff, so no more CYA

Closed Thread