what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wednesday - ... Started the lawn in PM.
Thursday - Finished the lawn in AM,

Reminds me of my grandmother who, in her eighties, used to mow her 30'x40' back lawn on one day and 30'x20' front lawn the next. I always thought that she needed to rest. I wasn't until recently that I found that retired people mow their lawns across two or more days simply because they can

Today is Food Bank Day. This is by far the best volunteer gig I have found. It's only once a month. It is a tremendous w*rkout for 3 hours. All I have to do is show up and help sort out food with a very friendly bunch of folks. :D
No meetings, no politics, no paperw*rk.

One of my walks takes me past a food bank. A sign on the door says people can line up twice, but before the second line goes thru for left-overs, the volunteers get first choice. Freebird, do you get any good stuff that way? I once saw a line of people coming out of there with spaghetti squash.

...But I would love to take a hammer to mine and then throw it in a bucket of water. I have had the same cheap K-Mart alarm clock for 31 years (one of the few things I got in my divorce)....

Sure would beat continuing to do this: :banghead:

Sounds like a good candidate for a splurge. My neighbor has a clock that chimes out church bells. I know that because she forgets to turn it off when on vacation. I'm usually the one cat sitting so I just go in and unplug it.

Was in our little town to watch the endless parade of motorcycles heading to Johnstown for the Thunder in the Valley convention. It is aptly named. Thousands of big bikes with open pipes. After a while racket of open pipes got boring.

It is a huge event when the bikers roll into Johnstown. My bike is parked, prefer to avoid large crowds. I get to ride the through the mountains during the week with hardly any traffic.

Slept in.
Got ready to go get my massage.....they upgraded me to a 2 hour and I only paid for 90 minutes.
Got a job offer from Massage Envy...have to fill out paperwork and do my practical next week :)
Sore from the massage now....but feel so much better.
Meeting a friend for ice-cream.....awesome day :)

Went to a REAL hardware store today. It was awesome. Spent about two hours poking around in there. An older gentleman asked if I needed help; I said "no just lookin'." He pointed to an area where he said the ladies seemed to enjoy and I might want to check it out. I asked him if there were male dancers over there. He bellowed with laughter and said, "You're a caution!" :LOL:

No male dancers, btw....:(

Winding down a busy weekend...
I went to a friend's Masters degree graduation party yesterday. Lots of good food but I held it to one plate. :D
Today.. mowed the lawn until a really ugly black cloud mass started forming overhead. NWS has done all sorts of Lightning Awareness Week broadcasts, so I figured I wouldn't play with Mother Nature.
I caught another chipmunk in the garden, so transporting it to the lake estates was the usual excuse to go for ICE CREAM!!!! Yay!!!! :LOL:
Saw over 20 baby bats in my bat house. They had crawled down to get some air, and were right where I could see them.
I ran for the camera, but they were way back up inside :( when I got back out there. Maybe next time...

Tomorrow is the summer solstice, the longest day of the year (and Aboriginal Day). If you happen to be at the North Pole, there will be no sunset. If you happen to be at the South Pole, there will be no sunrise. If you happen to be at the Equator, sunrise will be at 6am and sunset at 6 am.

Happy Summer wherever you are!

I beg to differ. If you are at or north of the Arctic Circle there is no sunset. [-]Same[/-] opposite in the south but I'm not sure what circle it is.

At this time lat year I was in Inuvik NWT. 24 hr sunshine. Listening to the local weather on radio I heard "it will be cloudy all day, but sunny all night". It was.

I beg to differ. If you are at or north of the Arctic Circle there is no sunset. [-]Same[/-] opposite in the south but I'm not sure what circle it is.

At this time lat year I was in Inuvik NWT. 24 hr sunshine. Listening to the local weather on radio I heard "it will be cloudy all day, but sunny all night". It was.

What a number that must do to your biological clock! Hard to even imagine, from here.

I had an overachiever day. Usually I don't do much, and think "Why am I so lazy?" but today I got a lot done. After piano practice, I cut down a tree, cleared brush, then planted two "future Christmas trees" that I got at a garage sale.

I then took a nap in the hammock.

I started some dough for olive bread and sausage rolls for dinner tonight, but something didn't sound right. I looked in, and the paddle wasn't turning. Luckily I had a spare bread machine of the same model (garage sale), and I just transferred the pan. I then took apart the ailing machine, and found that the axle for the paddle had just gotten gummed up over time. Cleaned, lubed, and now we again have two functioning machines.

Next, I made energy bars with this recipe, working around DW who was making chocolate/chocolate chunk cookies (BTW PracticalHacks is a neat site).

Now to grill the chicken-apple sausages on fresh rolls with olive bread. Then DW is going to song-circle tonight, so I get to watch the House episodes I've recorded.

Attachments

• baking 001.jpg
    baking 001.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 0
Sunday

I had a nice, quiet day. Took a jog early at the high school track and came home to make a pot of beef stew with lots of fresh veggies. Puttered around the house, laundry, caught up on paperwork. I had dinner at the home of a daughter of a friend, a cook-out at her new house. Started reading a book I got at the library: Pennsylvania's Forbes Trail. Watched the Poirot mystery on PBS.

Flew back to JP from 3 weeks of vacation. Horrible jet-lag today. Trying to stay awake...

Back at the grind-stone this morning...trying to get caught up with w*rk...and with everything I missed here.

R

Flew back to JP from 3 weeks of vacation. Horrible jet-lag today. Trying to stay awake...

Back at the grind-stone this morning...trying to get caught up with w*rk...and with everything I missed here.

R

As said in Office Space, "I wouldn't really say I missed it"...

Catching my breath here...:LOL:

1st chore of the day was getting my permanent crown installed. Glad that's over with. 8:30 AM is way too early to be in the chair. :nonono: Rewarded my bravery with a strawberry shake. :blush:
I went shopping for odds and ends, met dh2b at the bank, went to lunch, shopped at dollar store to finish the list, put stuff away...pant pant pant...

Now I'm back to blissfully goofing off...:D

Ahh, Monday. Start of the quiet part of the week in the neighborhood...

Washed the DirtMobile (2000 Metro).

Oil change, wash & wax of The Precious (2000 Miata).

Reviewed papers on nuclear fuel reprocessing. (What? Not for pay!)

Oil and filter change on the pussycat (Jag). 20 minutes. Then an hour to jack it up on all four corners (I should get a darn lift) to change differential oil. The British figured out how to make the task near impossible.

Remove spare tire, remove covering to rear firewall, pry off an inspection plate, find flexible 1/2" swivel 'cause the fill plug is 2" offset from said inspection plate, attach extender and 1/2" ratchet, cuss loudly and colorfully at the ancestries of all those motherf**** who designed this thing.

Get a jug of 90W fluid and a hand pump, to which attach 3' plastic hose to reach the fill hole of differential. Pump fluid. Since the fill hole now is not easly visible, pump, pull out hose look at level, pump, rinse repeat until fluid is now running out and down the frame into a the oil pan mercifully remembered to put under rear differential frame. Cuss some more. Crawl under lifted car try and maneuvere the fill plug through the now thoroughly well oiled frame and start a few threads. Cuss some more. Crawl out and climb into trunk. Maneuvre the swivel into the square hole of the plug, not an easy task as the swivel tends to flop down and avoid being inserted into the fill plug. Say several hail marys and our fathers in a s many languages as I can muster. Finally success, attach extender and ratchet, tighten plug. Recount more of the holy ancestry of all the British engineers. Wipe hands.
Lower car to terra firma.

Suck up two cans of Fosters in rapid succession. Answer yes Hon when wife announces DINNER. Wash hands, enjoy dinner. Repeat excercise in two years or so.

So how was your day?

Laundry, chilling, sleeping, and made a meeting....great day :)

Yesterday was my first Monday after FIRE. Had this uneasy feeling all day that I should be "doing" something. A retired friend laughed and said she felt that way for a while but the uneasy feeling soon passed.

Practiced piano in the morning, read the paper. Went for a swim in the afternoon (gotta get started on that 15 pounds I need to lose). Picked up some more plants for a few hanging planters. Went to the cheese factory near our house for yummy cheddar. Stopped at the vet's for heartworm medication for the dogs. Booked the Honda for servicing at the dealership next week. Picked up one of the dogs from our friend's place - she was away being shown last weekend. She bounced off the furniture when she got home - Stella is an excitable girl. Made dinner. Quiet evening.

Busy day. Today will be much quieter.

Rob

Just got out of bed as I woke up from a bad dream.... I was still living with my parents and I kept saying..."I need to get a place of my own." :eek:

DW and I went over to FIL's house to meet with a real estate agent. DW and her sister painted the master bedroom last week. (I was at work.) The house still needs some things done, redo the master bath, replace some siding with holes in it, a couple of areas need caulking and the sagging kitchen counter, although otherwise in good appearance, needs to be propped up. All in all, about 4-5 days of work and $2.5k in expenses. I'm glad to see a light at the end of this tunnel, I'm burned out on working on this guy's house. The things you do for family....

She said a realistic asking price is $289k and expect to sell ~$280. Looking at the comps I agree. In her opinion the market hasn't bottomed out yet because there are a bunch of ARMs that are about to reset and the marginal ones will fold when that happens. So after paying off the small loan on the house, commission, etc. FIL will net ~$240k. That gets him into the retirement community with $100k to spare... assuming there's a buyer out there....

The good news is that houses ARE being bought and sold. Just not at the frenzied rate they were.

Watched it rain all AM and a pretty serious thunderstorm cell just barely avoid my house. Still raining. :(
Surfed.
Did 2 loads of laundry.
Yawned. :yawn:

Winding down the afternoon...almost time to log off. :greetings10:

Went for hypnosis.
Deposited money at the credit union.
Bought some summer clothes and had lunch with a friend.
Napped.
Meeting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom