Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-20-2014, 04:37 PM   #14661

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
Walt, It's hard when you don't know someone but it sounds like you have a great attitude. I'm good about waiting for tests or having surgery but know that others panic.
Thanks all, for the positive comments.

I did briefly (~5 minutes) go to the nih.gov site to look up some causes. The takeaway for me was that while some are deadly serious, others are more of an annoyance and are easily treated. So lacking any further information I'll hope for the latter.

Work trained me well for this. I've fallen into a bucket of poop and come out smelling like a rose lots of times.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2014, 05:08 PM   #14662

DW and I took an architectural river tour of Chicago this afternoon. We enjoyed it enough to make it part of our "must do visitor's itinerary". Then we walked a bit and had lunch.

Old 07-20-2014, 05:15 PM   #14663
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
DW and I took an architectural river tour of Chicago this afternoon. We enjoyed it enough to make it part of our "must do visitor's itinerary". Then we walked a bit and had lunch.

That's a GREAT tour. You can also head to the architectural museum afterward (or before) on foot. You know why they sing "My Kind Of Town".

Old 07-20-2014, 05:17 PM   #14664
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelyman View Post
That's a GREAT tour. You can also head to the architectural museum afterward (or before) on foot. You know why they sing "My Kind Of Town".
+1
Old 07-21-2014, 08:14 PM   #14665

On an organizational kick. Day 2 of my garage storage project - 2 little closets with shelving, and a base cabinet to be in the middle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20140721-DSC01270.jpg (315.5 KB, 25 views)
Old 07-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #14666

Ronstar - nice garage!

I spent the morning sorting through stuff we Imoved out of granny flatStuff we'll probably use someday - but not soon. Finding storage for this stuff is a PITA. (Big things of paper plates and plastic flatware for example. We use them, sometimes, for informal barbeques, but prefer to use real plates and wash them, as . the greener alternative.) We had to clean it out since our new tenants moved in this weekend.... so it was cluttering up my dining room table.

Around 11am the big boxes from Amazon arrived - including all the various components for my 13 year old's dream gaming computer. I spent the afternoon and early evening alternately helping and cursing.... Why are cables never the right length. This PC is now assembled and he's busy downloading all his steam games. The PC case has 2 fans, the CPU has a giant fan, and the graphics card has TWO fans. I think we're going to have to start charging him a portion of the electric bill. But the thing is snappy and fast - and from what he showed me - the graphics is fast too.
Old 07-21-2014, 08:53 PM   #14667

Got admitted to the hospital. Sunday I had to stop mowing the lawn three or four times to catch my breath and I didn't have that issue the last time I mowed. Called the doc's office Monday morning and he called back later in the day and decided to admit me this afternoon "out of an abundance of caution" since this is a rapid change.

To my astonishment the hospital has WiFi and cell phone use is okay. I just brought the laptop because I thought I might be able to use it to edit some photos in airplane mode.

Contrary to stereotype the food is actually pretty good. Okay, it's not the Bavarian Inn but I don't expect that. One tech said I looked "too healthy" to be here. Lots of needle sticks about every four hours as they monitor changes in some enzyme levels to see if I have had a heart attack. This is the first time since 1950 that I've spent the night in a hospital so I didn't really know what to expect. Stress test is at 6:30 AM tomorrow. Right now I feel fine, no issues whatsoever.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:10 PM   #14668
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Got admitted to the hospital.
Wishing you all the best, Walt.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:21 PM   #14669
Give me a forum ...

Love the Bavarian Inn. Wonderful Sauerbraten and Schweinebraten! I haven't eaten there in years, though. Now that you've reminded me I'll have to make a pilgrimage out to Shepherdstown.

Hope the hospital gig turns out to be much ado about nothing, Walt. But better safe then sorry.
Old 07-21-2014, 11:51 PM   #14670
Recycles dryer sheets

Wishing you well Walt, glad there's wifi!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:31 AM   #14671
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
I never saw that video. What a hoot!
Old 07-22-2014, 04:55 AM   #14672
Give me a forum ...

Today I listened to the daybreak birdie symphony while sipping my decaf. I woke up just before 5 AM and decided to get up instead of being a bed slug.
My plan for today is to empty out my compost tumbler into a garbage can and start the composting gig all over again. My container garden is starting to produce small amounts of cucumbers, beans, peas, and tomatoes. Just enough to have a taste without having to process large amounts for the freezer. My pole bean climbers are taking over the free world. I'm having fun getting creative with twine for vertical gardening.

I made a batch of homemade yogurt yesterday. It should be just about ready after 13 hours of incubation in my Yogourmet yogurt maker.
Half of the yogurt will go towards tzatziki, the other half will be hung in cheesecloth for yogurt cheese with snipped green onion tops added.

Tzatziki recipe...if you have never had this, beware...it can be addicting!
It is important to strain the yogurt before mixing, or simply buy the thicker Greek style yogurt.
Tzatziki Sauce- Greek Cucumber Yogurt Sauce Recipe - Greek.Food.com
I skip adding the dill and mint. My Greek cookbook (purchased in Athens) does not have either ingredient. There are regional variations on the recipe. I use 1.5 times the recommended garlic because I like it that way.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0722140556.jpg (761.4 KB, 18 views)
Old 07-22-2014, 06:38 AM   #14673

Quote:
Got admitted to the hospital.

To my astonishment the hospital has WiFi and cell phone use is okay. I just brought the laptop because I thought I might be able to use it to edit some photos in airplane mode.

Stress test is at 6:30 AM tomorrow. Right now I feel fine, no issues whatsoever.

So sorry for the hospital admit, hope everything checks out, and they give you the "all clear". I hear you on the wifi - that was quite a surprise to me. Really helped me pass the time during my several admissions!

(49, married; DH 53. I am fully retired as of 2015 (well ok, I still work part-time but only because I love the job and have complete freedom to call off if I want to travel with hubby for work), DH hopes to fully retire 2018 when he turns 55 to access 401K penalty-free...although he may decide to do part-time consulting)
Old 07-22-2014, 09:31 AM   #14674
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I never saw that video. What a hoot!
Imelda May is one of my favourite artists. She is a Dubliner from the Liberties who specializes in rockabilly. Her musical and fashion style is very distinctive and she has a sense of humour! She is touring in North America this summer.
Old 07-22-2014, 10:58 AM   #14675
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
Imelda May is one of my favourite artists. She is a Dubliner from the Liberties who specializes in rockabilly. Her musical and fashion style is very distinctive and she has a sense of humour! She is touring in North America this summer.
I just put 3 of her CDs on my Amazon wish list. Next time I need to reach the $35 free shipping level, I'll order one. She sounds like fun!

My tzatziki is made, refrigerator dill pickles (from homegrown cukes) are started, my kitchen is clean, time to get showered and dressed and go to the bank, and then off to the VFW at 3 PM for a few cold ones and some laughs with the guys.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:01 AM   #14676

DW and i went to see "Begin Again" at the local cinema. Most enjoyable, music is a core part of the film and was an unexpected pleasure.

The gave us the senior discount. I'm not complaining.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:28 PM   #14677

Had the stress test (and several others) and they did not tell me, as I had hoped, that "It's just gas".

Nope, probably tomorrow I'm having a cardiac catheterization that they tell me will reduce or even eliminate the symptoms of the partially blocked arteries that feed blood to the heart. The good news is that I'm here well before I had the heart attack that would have been the inevitable end had I done nothing. From what I understand and have read (lots, recently!) it's a relatively routine procedure and only rarely has a bad outcome so I'm optimistic about that.

A conversation with one of the nurses was a bit surprising. She said I'm unusual because:

1. I have a doctor who I see regularly
2. The minute I knew something was wrong I called him
3. Most people do neither and wait until they're "on the ground" before they arrive at the hospital

This was surprising to me because it's a survival issue (Duh!).

Anyway, the main discomfort I have now is boredom since when at rest there are no physical symptoms at all. Thanks all for the well-wishes and I'm optimistic about this and the outcome.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:33 PM   #14678
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Had the stress test (and several others) and they did not tell me, as I had hoped, that "It's just gas".

Nope, probably tomorrow I'm having a cardiac catheterization that they tell me will reduce or even eliminate the symptoms of the partially blocked arteries that feed blood to the heart. The good news is that I'm here well before I had the heart attack that would have been the inevitable end had I done nothing. From what I understand and have read (lots, recently!) it's a relatively routine procedure and only rarely has a bad outcome so I'm optimistic about that.

A conversation with one of the nurses was a bit surprising. She said I'm unusual because:

1. I have a doctor who I see regularly
2. The minute I knew something was wrong I called him
3. Most people do neither and wait until they're "on the ground" before they arrive at the hospital

This was surprising to me because it's a survival issue (Duh!).

Anyway, the main discomfort I have now is boredom since when at rest there are no physical symptoms at all. Thanks all for the well-wishes and I'm optimistic about this and the outcome.
Excellent news!

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-22-2014, 12:47 PM   #14679
Give me a forum ...

Take care Walt & good luck with your cardiac cath !
Old 07-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #14680

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
On an organizational kick. Day 2 of my garage storage project - 2 little closets with shelving, and a base cabinet to be in the middle.

Wow, neat. Makes my garage look like junkyard.