Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 10:02 AM   #1461
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Recruited the man to pound in the vertical support stakes for the grapevines. He's an excellent pounder.

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2009, 08:09 PM   #1462
Give me a forum ...

Got my shots today - MMR, Hep A/B combo, and TDAP. 1 in left arm, 2 in right arm. Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh...no lollipops. Cheapskate county outfit. I pay taxes, ya know.
Teeth cleaning was very productive. I have a tooth that bothers me when I bite down on something resilient, like pizza crust or broccoli. It used to be infrequent and mild discomfort, now it is frequent and definitely not mild pain. Xrays showed an internal crack in the tooth itself, not the filling.
I am down to 2 months til our trip. Dentist said he can drill out the filling, bond it inside and hope, refill it, OR we can do the permanent fix. My choice.
For 12 days, there will be some serious gourmet food with my name on it. I need every tooth to be perfectly tuned up.
Anyone wanna guess how I will proceed ?
I have just enough time to get a temp crown done, and the permanent one will arrive 4 days before my trip. Whew!

Old 05-12-2009, 09:04 PM   #1463
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
Got my shots today - MMR, Hep A/B combo, and TDAP. 1 in left arm, 2 in right arm. Waaaaaaahhhhhhhh...no lollipops. Cheapskate county outfit. I pay taxes, ya know.
Teeth cleaning was very productive. I have a tooth that bothers me when I bite down on something resilient, like pizza crust or broccoli. It used to be infrequent and mild discomfort, now it is frequent and definitely not mild pain. Xrays showed an internal crack in the tooth itself, not the filling.
I am down to 2 months til our trip. Dentist said he can drill out the filling, bond it inside and hope, refill it, OR we can do the permanent fix. My choice.
For 12 days, there will be some serious gourmet food with my name on it. I need every tooth to be perfectly tuned up.
Anyone wanna guess how I will proceed ?
I have just enough time to get a temp crown done, and the permanent one will arrive 4 days before my trip. Whew!
I would have demanded some high quality drugs.
Old 05-13-2009, 06:57 PM   #1464
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Finally finished the installation of new ceramic tile in the master bath. It started as a simple DIY project, removing 80 SF of carpet and 20 SF of existing tile. Yeah, simple...

Once the carpet was removed I discovered the slab underneath had lots of paint on it - overspray from painting the cabinets and woodwork when the house was built. Can't tile over paint, can't remove it chemically (mortar won't stick), so I had to scrape it up.

The existing ceramic tile was much more difficult to remove than I expected. The process involved a grout removal saw (major dust storm!), stone chisel, a 6 pound sledge hammer, and lots of bad words.

I still have to put down quarter round and paint the baseboards, but I completed the grouting today, and all the mud pie making hard work is done.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-13-2009, 07:09 PM   #1465
Give me a forum ...

Laundry, Chinese buffet, then a multi-hour road trip in the Stang with best guy friend (retired). We went to see a waterfall at a state park and to a bakery outlet for "everything" bagels and lemon toast cookies (low fat).
Still trying to finish up staining that porch floor but the humidity has been high and it has rained a lot.
Tomorrow, tomorrow...
Old 05-13-2009, 08:23 PM   #1466

Wrote a hefty check to roofing company. 3 days, 9 roofers a hammerin' and voila, a new roof.

Found a good number of rotted spots, especially over one of the bathrooms, where the PO had directly vented the room into the attic. That I remedied shortly after we bought house. While adding extra 6" insulation, routed ducting to outside. Though the damage was done over the previous 25 or so years.

None of the chimneys or abutments had flashing, now they do.

Good for 30 years or 6000 miles.

The contractor was highly recommended by several old time locals. His foreman has been with the co for 37 years. They did a fine job. The owner, who is in his late seventies is the sole salesman, estimator, and gofer to get stuff in the hurry if it is needed "right now".

He has currently 9 more jobs in the pipeline (signed contracts). No recession for him.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #1467
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Finally finished the installation of new ceramic tile in the master bath. It started as a simple DIY project, removing 80 SF of carpet and 20 SF of existing tile. Yeah, simple...

Once the carpet was removed I discovered the slab underneath had lots of paint on it - overspray from painting the cabinets and woodwork when the house was built. Can't tile over paint, can't remove it chemically (mortar won't stick), so I had to scrape it up.

The existing ceramic tile was much more difficult to remove than I expected. The process involved a grout removal saw (major dust storm!), stone chisel, a 6 pound sledge hammer, and lots of bad words.

I still have to put down quarter round and paint the baseboards, but I completed the grouting today, and all the mud pie making hard work is done.
You should have been here when the contractor used sledge hammer to remove ceramic tile and cast iron bathtub.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:28 PM   #1468
Moderator Emeritus

Farmers' Market today: two small steaks, spinach, asparagus, FL tomatoes, spring onions.

By Friday I have to do laundry or buy underwear.
Old 05-13-2009, 08:39 PM   #1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Farmers' Market today: two small steaks, spinach, asparagus, FL tomatoes, spring onions.

By Friday I have to do laundry or buy underwear.
Im getting excited about our local farmers market. We got a really good one here in Sacramento. So cheap and fresh. Ha Im salivating at the mouth for summer. Only problem is here they run on Sunday when everyone can go. I need to find one during the week when people are working..
Old 05-14-2009, 10:08 AM   #1470
Full time employment: Posting here.

Woke up way too early (7am)
Drank coffee....talked to some friends
Surfed on a few sites
Get ready for second to last day at the spa (Yay!)
Old 05-14-2009, 10:13 AM   #1471
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notmuchlonger View Post
Im getting excited about our local farmers market. We got a really good one here in Sacramento. So cheap and fresh. Ha Im salivating at the mouth for summer. Only problem is here they run on Sunday when everyone can go. I need to find one during the week when people are working..
Chamber of Commerce may have a listing of vendors.
Go straight to the source - the farmers themselves. Some may have small roadside stands set up.
ROOOOOOOAD TRIIIIIIIIP!
Old 05-14-2009, 07:24 PM   #1472
Give me a forum ...

I have been on travel for megacorp. Domestic locale, not an exotic overseas location. But they pay me for my time, and for my meals, so why not make the most of the occasion to compensate for boring meetings? I have tried a few local restaurants here, and found a nice one I would not mind going back to. I also went to a well-known and expensive place that was a letdown.

Surfing Web now, looking at how much money I "lost" in the market this week... Anybody here "making" any money?
Old 05-14-2009, 07:36 PM   #1473

Damn I did nothing real important today. Exercised and ate. Lets see if I can keep up the good work.

GO ME!
Old 05-14-2009, 08:10 PM   #1474
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Anybody here "making" any money?
I thought about it...but I don't want to go to jail.
Old 05-14-2009, 08:13 PM   #1475
Moderator Emeritus

What I did today: very close to nothing
Old 05-14-2009, 09:08 PM   #1476
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Surfing Web now, looking at how much money I "lost" in the market this week... Anybody here "making" any money?

Yes , I have been making money on a long shot . Not ready to reveal the actual stock yet but at some point I will do so . As Uncle mick says "It's the hormones " or as I say " Girls just want to have fun ".
Old 05-14-2009, 09:30 PM   #1477
Give me a forum ...

JennyProcessionFocus.jpg

Today was the school of engineering recognition, and tomorrow is the actual commencement.
Old 05-14-2009, 09:35 PM   #1478
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

That's a great pic Al. I know you and Mrs. Trombone are very proud of your daughter's accomplishment.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 05-15-2009, 08:21 AM   #1479
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
That's a great pic Al. I know you and Mrs. Trombone are very proud of your daughter's accomplishment.
Congratulations to Ms. Trombone for successfully completing a field of study that is near and dear to yours truly.
She must have really excellent parents.
Old 05-15-2009, 08:26 AM   #1480
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
...Surfing Web now, looking at how much money I "lost" in the market this week... Anybody here "making" any money?
Not making any trememndous amounts of money, but watching my portfolio come back a little is satisfying. A few of my late 08 and early 09 minor adjustments to AA and fund stakes are proving to be beneficial overall.
Still lots of room for improvement.