Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-12-2014, 05:37 PM   #14841
Moderator Emeritus

Did someone mention bacon....

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-12-2014, 05:40 PM   #14842

DD and her family spent a few days in Montreal. They brought back a small sample of my favorite food - Lebanese pastries. They are unbelievably good. Normally I'd share with other family members in the area, but I won't be seeing any before the weekend, so I'll have to deal with this myself.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pastries.jpg (89.7 KB, 204 views)

Old 08-12-2014, 05:59 PM   #14843
Moderator Emeritus

Had a picnic at the park. I noticed that it was busier than usual. Since it is close to the convention center, I figured that there was some event going on. Turned out to be an American Chemical Society national meeting. As a chemist, I used to attend one of those meetings at least yearly. Fourteen years ago, I attended a meeting at that same convention center. I was still in graduate school, looking for a j*b, and thinking I was starting a 40-year career in chemistry. I never guessed that 14 years later, I'd be chillin' at the park across the street on a weekday!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-12-2014, 06:16 PM   #14844
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post

I'm not sure if I qualify as having heart issues even though I have two overlapping stents in a heart artery..
Believe me you qualify !
Old 08-12-2014, 07:53 PM   #14845

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
DD and her family spent a few days in Montreal. They brought back a small sample of my favorite food - Lebanese pastries. They are unbelievably good. Normally I'd share with other family members in the area, but I won't be seeing any before the weekend, so I'll have to deal with this myself.
Are those pistachios in the pastries? (Salivating as I type this.) We discovered these amazing cookies and pastries in Sicily that had pistachios in them...
Old 08-13-2014, 12:27 AM   #14846
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

• Slept late.
  • Picked up a 9x12 Karastan Rug from the rug cleaning place -- kinda heavy. It's 20+ years old, and looks very nice.
  • Did 30 minutes on the elliptical trainers. Fate gave us HIS and HERS trainers, and we each use both. Normally do 40 minutes (20 minutes on each) but skimped today -- see next item.
  • Mowed the back yard (front yard and trimming were done yesterday as well as oil changes and blade sharpening on the mower and lawn tractor & lube jobs on the lawn tractor and edger); it's kinda hot here this time of year.
  • Cooked a 5lb beef tenderloin while having some adult beverages. It came out buttah knife tender. We'll get a few more meals out of this piece of beef. The challenge is to reheat it without drying it out.

Old 08-13-2014, 12:45 AM   #14847

I am with my mom (85) since Sunday.
As she is moving from her home of 50 years to an assisted living apt. in 2 weeks we are sorting out her stockpile of clothes (collection of at least 20 years) to reduce the load.
So many pieces hardly worn, too small, bad quality or worn out to rags.
What is usable goes to goodwill. 3 bags on day 1, 8 bags yesterday.

I will leave tomorrow, then return 1 week before moving day for the sorting out and packing of all other stuff.

Wish her luck. 85 years, hardly any vision left, hearing problems, rheumatism.
They say you should not move an old tree, but there is hardly any alternative.

And even though she is pragmatic and accepting, she tells me each night that she prays for not waking up again. I am trying to avoid the news for not making her aware of Robin Williams' method.
Old 08-13-2014, 12:54 AM   #14848
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
Wish her luck. 85 years, hardly any vision left, hearing problems, rheumatism.
They say you should not move an old tree, but there is hardly any alternative.
I do wish her the best of luck. Maybe she will end up enjoying more companionship and the extra help she will receive in her new home.
Old 08-13-2014, 06:23 AM   #14849

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Are those pistachios in the pastries? (Salivating as I type this.) We discovered these amazing cookies and pastries in Sicily that had pistachios in them...
Oh yeah. Also walnuts, cinnamon, honey, phyllo and lots of butter. These are really good. And I know what you mean about the Sicilian pastries and cookies. They do magicial things with pistachios and almonds.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:18 AM   #14850

Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREd View Post
Had a picnic at the park. I noticed that it was busier than usual. Since it is close to the convention center, I figured that there was some event going on. Turned out to be an American Chemical Society national meeting. As a chemist, I used to attend one of those meetings at least yearly. Fourteen years ago, I attended a meeting at that same convention center. I was still in graduate school, looking for a j*b, and thinking I was starting a 40-year career in chemistry. I never guessed that 14 years later, I'd be chillin' at the park across the street on a weekday!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Sounds like Yerba Buena Gardens; a wonderful spot. I remember when they were building it. You're fortunate to live there.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:32 AM   #14851
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Naw, not me...

But I have made some changes. I'd quit smoking a long time ago, don't need to lose weight (5'9", 147 lbs this morning) and exercise regularly. Doc says my cholesterol levels are already well below most people's, borderline being too low. The diet could use some improvement though fortunately not too drastic.

But I'm sure gonna miss pepperoni, ham, bacon and double cheese pizzas. Sniff, sniff.
Walt, it sounds like you are in pretty damn good shape. Plenty of us need to lose quite a few pounds. I walk 3 miles a day and go to the gym but it's that daily loaf of bread and sack of potatoes that gets to me.

Milestone this saturday... it will be a year since I quit smoking (after 42 years of puffing away)... it might still be the cause of my demise at some point, but I do feel great now.
Old 08-13-2014, 08:10 AM   #14852

No people or vehicle was harmed in the trailering of this boat. First time for us to trailer and tow her. Took her in minor engine issue. Hopefully, she'll be back in the water early next week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0915.jpg (591.6 KB, 18 views)
Old 08-13-2014, 09:01 AM   #14853
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tailgate View Post

Milestone this saturday... it will be a year since I quit smoking (after 42 years of puffing away)... it might still be the cause of my demise at some point, but I do feel great now.
Congratulations, it's not easy to quit. Believe it or not, it gets even better. Your post made me realize this Sunday will be 14 years for me. I really have to stop sometimes and think, yes I used to smoke.
Old 08-13-2014, 10:47 AM   #14854

Quote:
No people or vehicle was harmed in the trailering of this boat. First time for us to trailer and tow her. Took her in minor engine issue. Hopefully, she'll be back in the water early next week.
Sweet looking vessel!
Old 08-13-2014, 12:01 PM   #14855
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Wonderful news! Congratulations and keep it up.
I've known a few people who fell off the wagon after a year or so (found themselves among smokers at a party or a bar, and tried one just for old time's sake). Don't let that happen to you.

I quit 41 years ago, going from 45 cigarettes a day to zero, so I know just exactly how big a deal it is.
Old 08-13-2014, 01:46 PM   #14856

What I did today:

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1407955542.167765.jpg

Zoo photos

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-13-2014, 03:30 PM   #14857

Quote:
I'm relieved to hear the possible murder you had predicted did not come to pass. What about the hilarity?
Old 08-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #14858

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
I'm relieved to hear the possible murder you had predicted did not come to pass. What about the hilarity?

Ha! No hilarity... we were quite pleased that we worked well together...so much so, that we toasted each other's work with a shot of tequila last night!
Old 08-13-2014, 04:48 PM   #14859

Went to Berkeley Springs, WV for lunch with DW at a Mom 'n Pop diner, we each had salads. $20 with generous tip for the waitress who was no doubt the owner's daughter. Walked around, wandered into the Museum of Berkeley Springs and noted among other things a giant crystal.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Berkeley_Springs-1.jpg (243.2 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Berkeley_Springs-2.jpg (295.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Berkeley_Springs-3.jpg (161.6 KB, 16 views)
Old 08-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #14860

Quote:
Ha! No hilarity... we were quite pleased that we worked well together...so much so, that we toasted each other's work with a shot of tequila last night!