what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed the oil on the pickup truck and greased it. Showered, then drove to the auto parts store to dispose of the old oil and buy new oil filters for the car and truck, then Wal-Mart for fresh oil for the next change.

Went for an hour motorcycle ride, but the forecast is for afternoon rain so came back home.

Who is being psychoanalyzed?

My wife. She doesn´t need it. But she insists on going. She suffers mild de pressions that haven´t been cured by paychologists and psychiatrists. So she trying this guy who is quite good, it seems. I don´t believe in that stuff, with all due respects for the professionals. This time it´s an open session with plenty of people. I think she will overcome her depressions all by herself in her own time.

Rebalanced our portfolio for the first time since January 2008. Last January, when our normal rebalance date rolled around, we were just to shell shocked by the downturn to act.

Our equities had fallen to 32% and we brought them back to our target of 40%. Even scarier, we finally moved the last chunk of excess cash (from the sale of our house in 2005) into the market. We are now fully invested for the first time since retiring.

So I guess if the market tanks tomorrow it is my fault. :nonono:

Went to the farmers market and spent $35, in the rain. Vegetables and herbs and fruit and pieces of cow.

Yesterday management sent the e-mail out telling everyone at work that my modeling tasks will gradually transition to someone else, since I am retiring later this year. So, everybody has been coming by and saying nice things like "We'll miss you!" (who, me? :) ). Feels kind of odd. :p

This week I have been training the modeler who is to take over these tasks. I also transferred many of my files and e-mails to her. Most of my stuff is transferred by now. I restored my computer to very nearly the original configuration, and changed it to display a mundane, default wallpaper. Less and less of me is reflected in my computer as well as my office, as days go by.

I wonder if I will feel old and worn out instead of gleefully retired when the day comes. Ah, I probably just need more sleep tonight. :LOL:

Dragged by my wife to a Psychoanalysis session:(. And me being the only male surrounded by more than a dozen women...:( Let´s see what happens:cool:.

This thread is no good without pictures.....maybe deserves its own thread? :LOL:

lessee. hauled my landlord trainee in to Salem where we replaced a bath faucet, schooled him on gas heaters, showed him various water shutoff valves and cleanouts, fixed a dripping kitchen sink, replaced a toilet lever, repaired two tub water valves and the diverter. took him home, then went to Dallas and installed an 8' miniblind, fixed non-functioning kitchen lights, listened to the whining of my apartment cleaner, got lambasted by an old long term tenant for having the temerity to post a note on his door (along with everyone else's) noting a new post box number for paying rent and reminding everyone that rent is late after the fifth and can incur a $25 late charge - back when he first started renting decades ago rent was late after 10 days. Everbody else is paying $15 more than him/month and I've never charged him a late fee though he does forget to pay often, but that doesn't matter to him. Replaced some bulbs, lashed down the brush in a trailer and hauled it home for disposal, found some actuater wands for the miniblind and a shower curtain rod, went to Walmart and got a towel bar, went back to Dallas and installed towel bar, shower rod, and actuater wands, did a bit of touch-up painting behind the painter, took pictures to put on the net for a Craigslist ad, then home and made a spartan plain salad for din. and a drink. And it's 8:30

Yesterday management sent the e-mail out telling everyone at work that my modeling tasks will gradually transition to someone else, since I am retiring later this year. So, everybody has been coming by and saying nice things like "We'll miss you!" (who, me? :) ). Feels kind of odd. :p

This week I have been training the modeler who is to take over these tasks. I also transferred many of my files and e-mails to her. Most of my stuff is transferred by now. I restored my computer to very nearly the original configuration, and changed it to display a mundane, default wallpaper. Less and less of me is reflected in my computer as well as my office, as days go by.

I wonder if I will feel old and worn out instead of gleefully retired when the day comes. Ah, I probably just need more sleep tonight. :LOL:

W2R--that sounds EXACTLY like my last couple of months at work. I was feeling quite "lame duckish" before it was over. :LOL: As for feeling old and wornout when the day came.... NO WAY!!! (I'll be "official" on August 1, since I've been burning 7 weeks of vacation time.)

W2R--that sounds EXACTLY like my last couple of months at work. I was feeling quite "lame duckish" before it was over. :LOL: As for feeling old and wornout when the day came.... NO WAY!!! (I'll be "official" on August 1, since I've been burning 7 weeks of vacation time.)

Thanks for the encouragement! It really helps. I got a good night's sleep last night and (so far) feel a little more positive about things.

I will be doing the same as you, and using as much vacation time as possible before I go. Here it's against the rules to just use it in one big block, though. So, I will be taking several 1-2 week "vacations", and will only be in the office for 18 of the days between September 1 and my official retirement date of November 9th. This is why I am starting the training and transitioning so early.

Well not very far into the day but I know what is in store for the rest of the day. Got a call from the nursing home letting me know my 97 year old aunt passed away this morning. Looks like she died around 5:00am. She had been sleeping a lot lately so I know it was an easy death. A great lady and one I will miss, but I know she is in a much better place.

Will be making arrangements today and that is a bummer. But something we all have to deal with.:(

Well not very far into the day but I know what is in store for the rest of the day. Got a call from the nursing home letting me know my 97 year old aunt passed away this morning. Looks like she died around 5:00am. She had been sleeping a lot lately so I know it was an easy death. A great lady and one I will miss, but I know she is in a much better place.

Will be making arrangements today and that is a bummer. But something we all have to deal with.:(

I am so sorry. No matter how old she was, I know you will still miss her. But you are right - - she is in a much better place, and the time has to come for every one of us eventually. Glad she passed easily in her sleep.

DH and I spent our first of 3 days caring for our daughter's two sons -- our youngest grandsons who are 2 and 3 months - in their home. Also in the mix -- 4 dogs (our two and their two). The 2 year old has some medical issues which require some extra procedures, and the 3 month old is not yet on a regular schedule. We had 2 children of our own 30 plus years ago, and I remember asking myself why everyone thought taking care of kids was so hard -- I remembered it as being quite easy, and I always had time to do extras like read, sew, do needlework, etc. DH was in the Army then and gone a lot, so I did most of it myself. Well, today we made it with two of us on the job, but we were busy every second and are now totally pooped. What a difference 30 years makes!! But we are so glad we got to do this.....the 2 year old is amazingly adaptable and follows our directions quite well. Hope it lasts!!!

Went downtown to make sure it wasn't just an internet rumor. If you see it in lights, it must be true.

Attachments

• IMG_5744.jpg
    IMG_5744.jpg
    292.1 KB · Views: 1
CJ, did you take the picture at the Schwab office?

But where is the Dow headed when the market opens tomorrow, which is only 7 hrs from now?

After close, Microsoft and American Express earnings disappointed, and both are Dow components. On the other hand, Samsung reported big unexpected earnings increase due to LCD TV and phone sales. Who have been buying these things? Korean economy growth is also reportedly the best since 2003. Huh? Why aren't they suffering like us?

Sorry to bring this into this thread, but I couldn't help myself. This inquisitive mind needs to know who and what nation is making money and how.

Looks like a hippo butt to me. First, sexy legs and now hippo butt -- perhaps the avatar is linked to how she feels about the bathroom scale reading each morning? ;)

I drove three hours to visit my sister and mother and then drove back . On the way home my GPS was so mad at me it stopped talking but then it did get me out of mess in Tampa after taking me on a scenic tour of Ybor City . So I guess we (the GPS & I ) are still friends .

Did laundry and hung it on the line; lawn mowing guy had to wait until it was brought in.

Went to grocery and bought gas.

Made a stew from tongue (from Farmers' Market) and garden and store vegetables and herbs.

Last edited:
Installed a new Airport Express. Very cool. Can now stream iTunes from either laptop to our stereo via WiFi.

Start to learn to play the recorder. Do ti la so fah honk squeek squeek. Gosh, and I thought all you had to do was learn the fingering.

Drives my SO crazy. This might be a problem. :whistle:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom