Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 03-21-2015, 06:13 PM   #16561
Recycles dryer sheets

Weather was so nice so I started spring cleaning. Put most of winter clothes away or in a bin for Salvation Army. Went through misc. items to see what I really wanted to keep or sell. That's about it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2015, 06:15 PM   #16562
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a rice cooker, but it is smaller than my crockpot. And this crockpot is barely deep enough for the big 2-lb steak that I am going to share with DW.

Initially, I thought I might have to use my portable electric burner (1 or 1.5 kW) along with a big stock pot. In the future, that may be what I will have to use to serve more people.

Anyway, what I like about the homebrew controller is that it can be used with any electric pot. However, I am going to use an external relay, as the internal relay of the controller is small and may be rated only for 5A.

Old 03-21-2015, 07:49 PM   #16563
Recycles dryer sheets

Just polished off a melt in your mouth 1.5" boneless ribeye, sous vide then seared in cast iron pan, with a purple sweet potato as the side. Time for a stroll. Have fun experimenting.
Old 03-21-2015, 09:23 PM   #16564
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Yes, but I had plenty of time, and also set crockpot power on Hi. Just went out to look, and the temperature is there at 135F.

By the way, comparison of the $11 controller temperature display to the wonderful Thermapen's reading of the water temperature shows agreement to 1F. Cool!

Wondering how much oscillation around the setpoint you'll get...

Of course, I've w*rked around processing equipment for a few. Most systems use PID controllers to limit overshoot and oscillations. Perhaps, if that becomes an issue, maybe using the LOW or MED setting would help.

Sent from my iCouch using Early Retirement Forum

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 03-21-2015, 10:56 PM   #16565
Give me a forum ...

No problem there with oscillations. In my career, I had worked on autopilots for manned and unmanned air vehicles, where the problems you described would be bad, very very bad (control system theory was my graduate topic too). On this sous vide setup, there is no problem mainly because the thermal mass is high, and the heat source is limited (230W on Hi as I measured). Once, I saw the temperature continuing to rise up to 136F after the controller had switched off, but that was it.

So, how was the experiment? A qualified failure! Let me explain further.

I "cooked" the steak for 3 hours, as it was still cold. I had some Montreal seasoning, so rubbed the steak with that. After 3 hours, when I pulled the bag out, I saw that there was something like 1/2 cup of juice in the bag. I did not expect that much. Did the bag have a pinhole? No.

So, I seared the steak, then deglazed the pan. Not a whole lot of flavor there as I expected, because the meat did not stay long to release much juice, nor that I wanted it to. So, along with a bit of butter, I poured the meat juice into the pan and reduced it. Then, seeing that the sauce was still thin, I reinforced it with some half-n-half as I did not have some creme on hand. A bit of garlic and several grinds of fresh pepper and dinner was served. Meanwhile my wife made salad and sauteed some asparagus.

The meat was nicely cooked and pink throughout as expected. No meat juice ran off as I cut it, unlike the usual steak. But as I cut, I saw that this steak was not tender. And upon chewing, aye aye aye...

I told my wife that it was such a bad steak, and I could not remember having one so bad. Perhaps 30 years ago, when I tended to overgrill them? Yikes! It was a bad cut of sirloin, that my wife bought from a supermarket that should remain nameless. This must have come off a cow that was a great-great-grandmother. Aye, aye, aye... My wife said her half was OK, and gave me some. Quite better, but still subpar. Man, I told my wife we should just get steak from Costco, which tended to be more reliable. The piece we had would make a good stew, not steak.

So, instead of melt-in-your-mouth steak like Springnr had, I got a stick-between-your-teeth steak! I am going to compensate by pouring myself a shot of Cognac now. Gah!

By the way, here's the photo of the controller. No photo of the steak as I was too excited to taste it. Poor me!

Old 03-21-2015, 11:23 PM   #16566
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

So, how was the experiment? A qualified failure! Let me explain further.

... I had some Montreal seasoning, so rubbed the steak with that. After 3 hours, when I pulled the bag out, I saw that there was something like 1/2 cup of juice in the bag. I did not expect that much. Did the bag have a pinhole? No. ...

The meat was nicely cooked and pink throughout as expected. No meat juice ran off as I cut it, unlike the usual steak. But as I cut, I saw that this steak was not tender. And upon chewing, aye aye aye...
I wonder if the Montreal Seasoning was an issue? I see that it has salt (not sure how much), and some sources say do not salt the meat before the water bath. I kind of wondered about that, and have salted mine just before serving. Only a little oil, garlic and rosemary in the bag with the steak.

Preparing Food for Sous Vide Cooking

Quote:
Salting food before cooking sous vide

Any good home chef would tell you that it's always better to salt meat before cooking: the salt penetrates into the meat and helps to tenderize and flavor the entire cut.

Sous vide, however, doesn't work that way.

If you salt food before cooking it sous vide, holding the food at low temperature for a long time inadvertently cures the food, resulting in a dense, pickled texture.
But I've also found supermarket steaks to be variable in quality, while the Costco steaks are always very, very good. Maybe a combo of the two?

-ERD50
Old 03-21-2015, 11:30 PM   #16567
Give me a forum ...

Ah, the salt in the seasoning! That could have been it. As I said, I got 1/2 cup of juice off a 2-lb cut while I had expected very little. What should be the normal?
Old 03-21-2015, 11:52 PM   #16568
Recycles dryer sheets

My normal temp setting for steak is 131.9 (forgot to include the wedge of boucheron & brandy for desert earlier)
I said "seared", but really I just preheat the cast iron pan to med/low, pat the meat dry, rub butter on the steak and toss in the pan for ~ 2 min per side. So far this results in a nice browning/maillard reaction without over heating the center.

Old pics - Blackeye Pea experiment, small rice cooker
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Peas_Pints.JPG (371.7 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg Peas_Vac.JPG (320.6 KB, 17 views)
Old 03-22-2015, 06:58 AM   #16569
Recycles dryer sheets

I cleaned out all of my telecommuniting equipment from my home office and transferred them to another employee that lives in the area. It is amazing how much stuff I had accumulated over the years working from home.

Packed up my laptops for my last trip out to work. Will return all my equipment, badge, etc. on Friday and then will be DONE!
Old 03-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #16570
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
I cleaned out all of my telecommuniting equipment from my home office and transferred them to another employee that lives in the area. It is amazing how much stuff I had accumulated over the years working from home.

Packed up my laptops for my last trip out to work. Will return all my equipment, badge, etc. on Friday and then will be DONE!

Woohoo!

Only 284 days left for me...

Old 03-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #16571
Give me a forum ...

I had the same issue with a generic, grocery store steak: not much flavor. Next time I'll get spendy, and try grass-fed...

Old 03-22-2015, 11:53 AM   #16572
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Only 284 days left for me...
Wow, sounds like 2016 is going to be a pretty terrific year for you, right from the start!

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #16573
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Wow, sounds like 2016 is going to be a pretty terrific year for you, right from the start!

Yep, if it ever gets here!

Not really "official" yet, though my boss knows. Paperwork hasn't been filed yet, but will be in the next few months.

My original plan was 8/31, but after reading the fine print regarding my pension, if I worked through the fall semester, i.e. 12/31, I'll get credit for a full year. Mainly waiting because funding could dry up again, and I have to work full-time for the extra year thing to work. If it looks like I won't be full-time all year, I may just punt, and revert to Plan A.

Old 03-22-2015, 01:22 PM   #16574
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
Yep, if it ever gets here!

Not really "official" yet, though my boss knows. Paperwork hasn't been filed yet, but will be in the next few months.

My original plan was 8/31, but after reading the fine print regarding my pension, if I worked through the fall semester, i.e. 12/31, I'll get credit for a full year. Mainly waiting because funding could dry up again, and I have to work full-time for the extra year thing to work. If it looks like I won't be full-time all year, I may just punt, and revert to Plan A.
It will get here, and faster than you think! You're on the downhill glide now.

When you get closer to 12/31, you'll probably start thinking (as I did), "If I just worked a few months in 2016, I could max out my 401K for 2016!" There is always something. And then they start coming at you with tempting consulting offers too. Eventually all this will be behind you, and nothing will be in front of you but the "oceans of time" that Goonie used to talk about.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 03-22-2015, 02:17 PM   #16575
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
It will get here, and faster than you think! You're on the downhill glide now.

When you get closer to 12/31, you'll probably start thinking (as I did), "If I just worked a few months in 2016, I could max out my 401K for 2016!" There is always something. And then they start coming at you with tempting consulting offers too. Eventually all this will be behind you, and nothing will be in front of you but the "oceans of time" that Goonie used to talk about.

For sure 12/31 is chiseled in stone, drop dead. Actually, the fall semester includes Labor Day, Thanksgiving, and the winter holiday break, plus I have around four weeks of vacation, so I won't be w*rking all that much...

Old 03-22-2015, 08:26 PM   #16576
Give me a forum ...

I spent day 5 of recovery in the house. I did some laundry, cooked some chicken fricassee in the crockpot, surfed, watched TV with Mr B, and generally goofed off.
I was supposed to wash the inside of my windows, but my recliner kept me captive.
Oh, well, manana...manana...

Old 03-23-2015, 03:45 PM   #16577

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
I was supposed to wash the inside of my windows, but my recliner kept me captive.
No big deal, that can wait 'til tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after that....

I was going to sign up for a 4 week fine art photography class today but noticed there is a discount for seniors. I'll be 65 shortly so I'll wait until then and register.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:55 PM   #16578
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
No big deal, that can wait 'til tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after that....

I was going to sign up for a 4 week fine art photography class today but noticed there is a discount for seniors. I'll be 65 shortly so I'll wait until then and register.
Thank you for the window pass.

However, it was a gorgeous sunny day today, so I motivated myself to do the front picture window. I cleaned the sills, framing, the glass, vacuumed the floor and under the heater cover, and also the glass topped round table nearby. Then I got the vacuum going on the living room and kitchen floors.
Wore myself out, but it felt good to get up and move around and get something constructive done on a very cold but fabulously sunny day.

Not long until I can come out of winter hibernation and be outside in the yard and at the lake on my boat.
Old 03-23-2015, 06:57 PM   #16579
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird5825 View Post
............Not long until I can come out of winter hibernation and be outside in the yard and at the lake on my boat.
And fire up the Mustang!
Old 03-24-2015, 03:50 PM   #16580
Give me a forum ...

Had an appointment with pain management. In at 2:15 out ay 3:15, including a cervical epidural!

Amazing I have no idea why I was so afraid of the procedure. Had 2 in 2000, swore I'd never do another. In the end I actually said yep doc let's go ahead and do it now. Pain will make you do many things you swear you will not do.

Home now, don't feel as much pain and numbness. Hope this actually keeps working.