Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 01:45 PM   #17321

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That's cool, Michael. Was she able to get college credit for the diploma coursework? My understanding is the UC system will offer up to 30 units for the full diploma. That would be sweeeeeeet.
I'm not sure but will ask DD. It may have helped her deal with the required courses, and she did finish in 4 years even though she took a semester off spent a semester abroad. My recollection is they weren't excited at the prospect of unpaid degree credit.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-23-2015, 01:48 PM   #17322
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyfuego View Post
Any advice or stories of dealing with the ambivalence of leaving a great organization welcomed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Don't be surprised if the feeling persists for a while, but it will eventually fade.
When I retired from the USAF, I felt like that for several years. Greatly diminished now, but I still get a funny (good) feeling whenever I enter a military base. The special camaraderie is something you almost never find in "normal" life.
A shipmate has been retired for nearly 15 years yet he still misses the conversations that he used to enjoy with some of the smartest people he knows.

I miss it too, but not enough to put up with midwatches and weekend duty.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Old 05-23-2015, 03:07 PM   #17323

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
Was she able to get college credit for the diploma coursework? My understanding is the UC system will offer up to 30 units for the full diploma. That would be sweeeeeeet.
DD and DS both went to a HS that offered IB but neither one opted for it. They did load up on AP credits. DD used them to graduate from a private college in just a hair over 3 years. DS used them to get his engineering degree with an economics minor in 4 years (no summer school).
Old 05-23-2015, 05:39 PM   #17324

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Here are a couple of photos of the aftermath. Kinda slick how he managed to wedge that pole between his axles...
Yes indeed, that takes raw talent. Don't want to make it too easy to clear the mess.

Went to the gym, then to farmer's market for some veggies and fill the propane tank for the grill, then the library on the way home so now I have a few day's reading to do. DW and her sister went to a funeral for a long-ago neighbor that they were close to growing up.
Old 05-23-2015, 07:35 PM   #17325
Full time employment: Posting here.

Drove from San Diego to Monrovia (near Pasadena) to teach a martial arts class for students in our organization as an affiliate dojo.

Note to self - never drive on Memorial Day weekend.

It was a predicted 2 hr drive up - smooth - no traffic.

It took over 3 hrs to drive back - nothing but traffic jams - more than usual (and I've made this drive lots of times).

I'm home now with a well deserved cold adult beverage (or two)....not driving anywhere for the rest of the weekend!
Old 05-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #17326
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
At the fruit market.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 PM   #17327
Recycles dryer sheets

Lots of gardening and yard work today. Feels good to finally get my flower pots all filled with colorful blooms.

We also cleaned off the front porch and cleaned out our shed. DH built a few shelves in the shed too.

DD figured out that if she runs around with a flashlight pointed at the ground, the puppy will chase the light on the ground. This provides endless entertainment for both of them and wears off some energy - a win-win.
Old 05-24-2015, 08:55 PM   #17328
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I played a church gig this morning with a wind ensemble. Very nice service with Memorial Day remembrances. Dozed off this afternoon, shopped, then grilled steaks and veggies, and cleaned the pool. I had to water my veggies since it's warm clear and dry in the mid-Atlantic. Turned the pool heater back on but then we'll shut it off. We will be swimming tomorrow after a long car ride to pick up the last load of DS's stuff from his college apartment. He's glad to be home and I will enjoy it while it lasts since the job hunt starts Tuesday. (Hey, I'm a mom; part of me never wants the kid to leave, even while I'm trying to kick him out.) 90 degrees forecast for Tuesday. And I'm not working at long last. It seems like a day in the pool is in store for that day as well.

Wow!!! This RE stuff is sweet indeed!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 05-24-2015, 09:39 PM   #17329

DH and I played in our first Pickleball tournament together today. Most married couples don't play together due to the marital discourse it causes but we played well together and won silver.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:02 PM   #17330

Congrats on the medal, Lisa99!

Got my morning walk in and then decided to clean the gas grill - it flamed up badly last night when I was grilling sausages for dinner so I knew it was time overdue. It's 5 years old and some of the bars that catch drips above the burners (I think they call them "flavorizers") are rusted through in spots.

Caught up on all of the flood news and made a donation to help with repairs at John Knox Ranch, where both kids were campers for many years and DS was a counselor also. Still a several people missing and lots homeless. More rain forecast for today. Unfortunately, this is the kind of rain event it takes to restore the lakes (our drinking water supply).
Old 05-25-2015, 12:04 PM   #17331

We've been getting a lot of rain the past 2 days, so I've done almost nothing, except greet this backyard visitor.

Old 05-25-2015, 12:15 PM   #17332

Saw my first two moose on the way in to town for church yesterday morning. I had heard reports that they hang out at an old ranch about four miles down the road and that is exactly where they were.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:26 PM   #17333

My morning run was ruined this morning, but I did a good deed that was more important.

There was a 5K at our mountain community. It has a very small turnout by most race standards (usually fewer than 20 runners and 25 walkers) but it's a fundraiser for a good cause so I usually run it. I don't race it, but use it as one of my weekly runs for exercise.

One mile into today's race I encountered a nine year old girl who was running her first race. Mom sent her out alone. (I met Mom later-- she probably couldn't have walked the three miles let alone run it). Like most nine year olds running for the first time, she went out way too fast and was walking at the mile marker. I stayed with her, trying to get her to jog slowly but we walked most of the time. She didn't want me to leave her. Even when I could've left her with a group of walkers, she had latched onto me and asked me to stay with her.

So my planned 5K at faster-than-normal pace turned into a morning walk. But at least I did my best to prevent a young runner from crying.
Old 05-25-2015, 02:08 PM   #17334

Good for you, Philliefan!
Old 05-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #17335

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
My morning run was ruined this morning, but I did a good deed that was more important.

There was a 5K at our mountain community. It has a very small turnout by most race standards (usually fewer than 20 runners and 25 walkers) but it's a fundraiser for a good cause so I usually run it. I don't race it, but use it as one of my weekly runs for exercise.

One mile into today's race I encountered a nine year old girl who was running her first race. Mom sent her out alone. (I met Mom later-- she probably couldn't have walked the three miles let alone run it). Like most nine year olds running for the first time, she went out way too fast and was walking at the mile marker. I stayed with her, trying to get her to jog slowly but we walked most of the time. She didn't want me to leave her. Even when I could've left her with a group of walkers, she had latched onto me and asked me to stay with her.

So my planned 5K at faster-than-normal pace turned into a morning walk. But at least I did my best to prevent a young runner from crying.
Good for you! I'm sure that little girl will always remember your kindness.
Old 05-25-2015, 04:47 PM   #17336

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico View Post
Good for you! I'm sure that little girl will always remember your kindness.

I sure hope so. At the award ceremony, I learned that the 3rd place female finished at about my typical finish time. If I had been running myself, I may have been able to beat her and finish third. I rarely get that chance. Of course, then I would've been over on the "decluttering" thread posting about throwing away a silly plastic trophy.
Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 AM   #17337

Monday was 'icky' - grey, drizzle, wet, chill.

So we all stayed in, I listened to music on the family room system, surfed the net, read some magazines, and prepped for dinner which turned out nice! Smoked tri-tip, twice baked potatoes, grilled corn, and garden salad.

Old 05-26-2015, 03:22 PM   #17338
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
Monday was 'icky' - grey, drizzle, wet, chill.

So we all stayed in, I listened to music on the family room system, surfed the net, read some magazines, and prepped for dinner which turned out nice! Smoked tri-tip, twice baked potatoes, grilled corn, and garden salad.

Yum!

It's rained here for forty days and nights (and counting...), so haven't taken my smoker out of the garage yet.

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 05-26-2015, 03:53 PM   #17339

BBQNut, that looks scrumptious. My DH does not have the stereotypical male "grilling" gene. He has absolutely no interest in cooking on the grill-- even something simple like burgers. I do 90% of the grilling here, I can only occasionally get him to help out by doing burgers or the occasional hot dog. I wish he wanted to be a grill master, but since he has so many other great qualities I have learned to adjust 😊.
Old 05-26-2015, 04:00 PM   #17340

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philliefan33 View Post
BBQNut, that looks scrumptious. My DH does not have the stereotypical male "grilling" gene. He has absolutely no interest in cooking on the grill-- even something simple like burgers. I do 90% of the grilling here, I can only occasionally get him to help out by doing burgers or the occasional hot dog. I wish he wanted to be a grill master, but since he has so many other great qualities I have learned to adjust ��.
Why thank you!

I have a passion for grilling, bbq'ing, and cooking.

The most moving comment I got was last year from my father - we were visiting along w/ my brother - nice family gathering.

My brother is a certified chef - and we took turns cooking meals for my parents (and mom is a fantastic cook - she is the benchmark).

I did grilled salmon and grilled asparagus which turned out to perfection.

My dad does not cook at all aside from a breakfast of bacon and eggs.

He takes a taste of the salmon and asparagus and says kinda under his breath "Delicious - must be in the genes."

[under the table fist pump]