Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 09:10 AM   #18561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Voted this morning, and what a treat.
For the first time in my life I can walk to the polling place and it was a beautiful mild autumn day. On top of that, it's a small poll with only one precinct, so I was the only voter in the place. Two more were coming in as I left.

The experience was so good it nearly made up for not having any really good candidates for office!

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-03-2015, 12:50 PM   #18562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Saw yet one more piece of useless crap that people buy.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1446576512.779151.jpgImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1446576533.845683.jpg

Evidently this item will transport you to new locations...where you'd likely buy more useless crap.

ImageUploadedByEarly Retirement Forum1446576551.160542.jpg

Ahhhhhh, the good life!

You may be whatever you resolve to be.

Old 11-03-2015, 05:34 PM   #18563
Give me a forum ...

Today I had one of the most pleasurable rounds of golf that I have ever had. Met up with 5 friends for breakfast and then one guy went home (chores to be done) and 5 of us continued to the course. While I normally do not like playing as a fivesome, we did and pretty much had the course to ourselves being early November in northern New Hampshire. Two of us walked and the rest rode carts. The sun came on the 4th hole and I shed my sweater and pants and played the rest of the round in shorts and a golf shirt. Temp was in the 60s so it was very comfortable.

I played well for me (bogie train with a few pars here and there and a couple doubles) and between playing well, the beautiful sunny weather, a nice course, walking and the camaraderie of playing with good friends it was a great day.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:58 AM   #18564
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
The sun came on the 4th hole and I shed my sweater and pants...
Useless without pics...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-04-2015, 10:11 AM   #18565
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Saw yet one more piece of useless crap that people buy.

Attachment 22564Attachment 22565

Evidently this item will transport you to new locations...where you'd likely buy more useless crap.

Attachment 22566

Ahhhhhh, the good life!

You may be whatever you resolve to be.
"They" are already working on the "Floaty Chair"
Old 11-04-2015, 10:12 AM   #18566
Give me a forum ...

Once a week when the weather is good I join a retired Forest Service friend to maintain the roads in the woods up Mt. Baker. Usually we cut the brush back and clear the ditches. Yesterday we cleared trees that had fallen on a road in a recent wind storm. Hard work for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
And I don't care how big your truck is."
Old 11-04-2015, 10:54 AM   #18567

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed_The_Gypsy View Post
Once a week when the weather is good I join a retired Forest Service friend to maintain the roads in the woods up Mt. Baker. Usually we cut the brush back and clear the ditches. Yesterday we cleared trees that had fallen on a road in a recent wind storm. Hard work for me.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
I love that area. I lived in Bellingham for 3 years and used to do a lot of hiking in/around the Baker area.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:18 PM   #18568

An interesting day so far. Today was moving day for my brother, everything was packed yesterday. The movers didn't show. It took about 3 hours to determine there was some sort of misunderstanding. Then, the HOA rep didn't show for our meeting. Not sure why. Then, the handyman didn't show. Also not sure why. Now I'm busy rescheduling.

After all this, on my drive back home, I stopped by a local hot dog chain, very big and popular, for a quick bite to eat. As I waited for my order the deep fryer caught fire. They had a fire extinguisher nearby and used it quickly, but not expertly. There were about 10 or so servings of fries above the frying station, in boxes or under the heat lamp, ready to be served. Retardant mist clearly reached all the exposed fries. No one appeared to notice but me, and they served all of them despite by vigorous objections. One was mine, which I promptly returned. I just finished notifying the county health dept. and the corporate office of this restaurant chain.

I told the people that were getting the bad fries about the contamination, they just took their orders and walked out.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #18569
Give me a forum ...

Amazing that store management was so stupid. Then again, perhaps not.
Old 11-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #18570
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
The movers didn't show.
the HOA rep didn't show
the handyman didn't show.
Probably doesn't apply to you, but if that happened to me, DW would be making comments about my deodorant.

Good for you on reporting the restaurant's boneheaded move!
Old 11-04-2015, 05:44 PM   #18571
Give me a forum ...

My wife saw that Sprouts, a grocery chain we frequent, has a special sale on $100 gift cards today for $90. So, we went there to buy 5 cards for ourselves to use, after asking to be sure that these cards have no expiration date.

Then, we stop by the men's clothing store where I bought the tux two weeks ago to pick up another new suit that was being altered to fit. And, I walked out of there with four casual short-sleeve shirts, 100% silk. How did that happen?

They had a sale that lowered the shirts to a price that was hard to resist, and my wife insisted that I got them for the upcoming trips. Whoa! How did I become a fashionista all of a sudden? This is scary!

Quote:
... As I waited for my order the deep fryer caught fire. They had a fire extinguisher nearby and used it quickly, but not expertly. There were about 10 or so servings of fries above the frying station, in boxes or under the heat lamp, ready to be served. Retardant mist clearly reached all the exposed fries...
Hopefully, the dry powder in the extinguisher is something benign like sodium bicarbonate, or potassium bicarbonate. It could also be monoammonium phosphate, a fertilizer, or potassium chloride. Of course, there might be other impurities in the powdery agent.
Old 11-04-2015, 05:45 PM   #18572
Administrator

Quote:
An interesting day so far. Today was moving day for my brother, everything was packed yesterday. The movers didn't show. It took about 3 hours to determine there was some sort of misunderstanding. Then, the HOA rep didn't show for our meeting. Not sure why. Then, the handyman didn't show. Also not sure why. Now I'm busy rescheduling.

After all this, on my drive back home, I stopped by a local hot dog chain, very big and popular, for a quick bite to eat. As I waited for my order the deep fryer caught fire. They had a fire extinguisher nearby and used it quickly, but not expertly. There were about 10 or so servings of fries above the frying station, in boxes or under the heat lamp, ready to be served. Retardant mist clearly reached all the exposed fries. No one appeared to notice but me, and they served all of them despite by vigorous objections. One was mine, which I promptly returned. I just finished notifying the county health dept. and the corporate office of this restaurant chain.

I told the people that were getting the bad fries about the contamination, they just took their orders and walked out.
Some days it's just not worth getting out of bed! I hope you are somehow able to get a good night's sleep tonight, and awaken to a better day tomorrow.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-04-2015, 05:53 PM   #18573
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Wow.

First it was cancer-causing hot dogs, now it's poisoned fries...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-04-2015, 06:31 PM   #18574

Wow Michael - that is really scary that they served the fries - and even scarier that customers knowingly took them.

Yesterday was another robotics team meeting (and field trip) followed by a few of the team members playing wall ball against the garage. My son decides to trip over the base of the basketball hoop and lands in our planter in the front yard... impaling his hand (about 1/8 of an inch deep) and hurting his wrist. I wash/neosporin the wound, apply a bandaid, get him a bag of ice, and an old sling (we have many... unfortunately.) He was still complaining of pain this morning so I wrote him a PE note and decided to reassess things after school.

Today I skipped my walk on the beach and misc. chores to try and rest to get over my cold. But I still had to deal with kids after school. Pick up injured son and determine it's swollen and has some limited range of motion... Make an appointment with Urgent Care. (Hoping to avoid the $800 walk-in-the-door ER fee that Kaiser charges to HDHP folks.)

Check in for the appt, and am told that if it *is* broken they will send me over to the ER (about 2 blocks away) for casting.

Fortunately, the doctor quickly determined that he actually does have full range of motion, doesn't even feel an x-ray is necessary, and we're sent on our way home.

If he had broken his wrist this would have been the third broken bone for him this calendar year. (Broke left elbow in Jan, Broke right wrist in April.) Not to mention other son's lovely orbital fracture when he took a baseball to the face in April.

I am waiting for child protective services to show up at our door any moment now.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:40 PM   #18575
Give me a forum ...

Good grief! I hope your sons' unlucky streak will end before they start to drive.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM   #18576

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
Good grief! I hope your sons' unlucky streak will end before they start to drive.
You and me both. But I can always refuse to sign their permit/license (need parental permission) and force them to take the bus till age 18. I'm a mean mom like that. Unfortunately, they get their clumsiness naturally - It's been said that I trip over dust by my former roommate/bff.

It's a total catch 22 - we don't want them staring at screens 24/7 (which is what they'd prefer) but then when they play sports or just play outside with friends, they injure themselves. But at least they have good BMIs, LOL.
Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #18577

Geesh - rough day today for MichaelB and rodi. And I thought I was having a rough day putting up with DW's transfer/install of her new iPhone.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:05 PM   #18578
Recycles dryer sheets

On a more positive note, I rescued this cute little guy from baking hot sand and sun and from marauding sea birds and set him gently into the waves of the Sea of Cortez. Made me feel surprisingly emotional.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (512.7 KB, 28 views)
Old 11-05-2015, 08:20 AM   #18579

That is really cool Sea Kayaker.
Old 11-05-2015, 08:52 AM   #18580
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Yet another cool rainy day here; this is day 5. Temps in the high 40s; could just as easily be in the 20s this time of year. Typical beginning of an el nino winter. I won't complain too much. El Nino for us usually means a much warmer and drier winter than normal. I am planning on spending the day unpacking and putting up all the stuff that hangs on the walls.