Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 10:08 AM   #18581
Moderator Emeritus

Power laundry to take advantage of another unexpected day of great outside clothesline drying weather--four big throw rugs are wafting in the breeze today, bedding yesterday. Best smell ever imo.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2015, 11:40 AM   #18582
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
Power laundry to take advantage of another unexpected day of great outside clothesline drying weather--four big throw rugs are wafting in the breeze today, bedding yesterday. Best smell ever imo.
I dry bulky items like jeans and towels outside, when the weather cooperates. But it must be the air quality here in DFW, because line dried items don't have all that pleasant of an odor...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-05-2015, 11:57 AM   #18583
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodi View Post
That is really cool Sea Kayaker.
Would have been even cooler if the picture didn't post sideways.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:06 PM   #18584
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by HFWR View Post
I dry bulky items like jeans and towels outside, when the weather cooperates. But it must be the air quality here in DFW, because line dried items don't have all that pleasant of an odor...
I think your weather is either rainy or hot this year--not so good for that fresh line-dried smell.
Old 11-05-2015, 12:08 PM   #18585
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I think your weather is either rainy or hot this year--not so good for that fresh line-dried smell.
That pretty much describes Texas weather...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 11-05-2015, 02:52 PM   #18586
Give me a forum ...

Gorgeous 70+ degree day here in SE MI, so I decided to clean the gutters out one last time before winter. DW is nervous about me being on the roof (colonial with walkout, so it is 30 feet down) so I invested in a safety harness and mounted an attachment point in the center of the roof. It is a little awkward to use, but provides a nice backup when I'm near the edge.
Old 11-05-2015, 02:55 PM   #18587
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Gorgeous 70+ degree day here in SE MI, so I decided to clean the gutters out one last time before winter. DW is nervous about me being on the roof (colonial with walkout, so it is 30 feet down) so I invested in a safety harness and mounted an attachment point in the center of the roof. It is a little awkward to use, but provides a nice backup when I'm near the edge.
Smart move!
Old 11-05-2015, 03:06 PM   #18588

4.6 mile hike and we're off to see "Bridge of Spies"
Old 11-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #18589
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
DW is nervous about me being on the roof
Mine was the same way when I was doing that stuff, so she wanted one more safeguard. I promised to always have a cell phone in my pocket when I was up there.

That was based on an unfortunate incident a number of years ago when my 12 ft stepladder mysteriously collapsed under me while I was on one of the top steps. Nothing seriously hurt but my dignity, but it was a sobering moment.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:28 PM   #18590
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
..... I promised to always have a cell phone in my pocket when I was up there............
Good idea, I carry my cell phone when I'm up there, too, but I doubt I could dial 911 before I hit the ground.
Old 11-05-2015, 03:56 PM   #18591

Quote:
Good idea, I carry my cell phone when I'm up there, too, but I doubt I could dial 911 before I hit the ground.
I was wondering why you'd want a cell phone with you. 911 on speed dial!
Old 11-05-2015, 04:36 PM   #18592

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Mine was the same way when I was doing that stuff, so she wanted one more safeguard. I promised to always have a cell phone in my pocket when I was up there.

That was based on an unfortunate incident a number of years ago when my 12 ft stepladder mysteriously collapsed under me while I was on one of the top steps. Nothing seriously hurt but my dignity, but it was a sobering moment.

FIL broke his back and a friend of mine died from such a fall 2 years ago. When we put up Christmas lights I stay at the base of the ladder and add my weight at the bottom to lower the center of gravity. Do be careful!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 11-05-2015, 04:39 PM   #18593

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I was wondering why you'd want a cell phone with you. 911 on speed dial!
I can hear the tape of the call now:

911: "Nine one one, what is your emergency?"

You: "Help, I've fallen off the " THUD!

911: "Hello? Anyone there? Hello?"

911: To operator in next chair: "Dang prank callers!"
Old 11-05-2015, 04:42 PM   #18594
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Reminds me of the pre-cell phone days when cordless phones were the latest technology.

Dad (age 85) would climb up the ladder to paint the house while my mom sat nearby in a lawn chair, cordless phone in hand, the 9 and 1 buttons already pressed...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
Old 11-05-2015, 04:51 PM   #18595
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Luckily, our gutters are easily reachable with a stepladder.

I don't do roofs anymore... a guy I worked with fell off a ladder and seriously injured his back and was walking with a cane the last time I saw him... another friend fell off his roof and seriously injured himself... brain damage... could no longer work and is a shell of his former self. Not worth the risk... if I had something that needed to be done on our roofs I'll hire it out.
Old 11-05-2015, 04:53 PM   #18596
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Drove DH to the airport.
Farflenarkin navigator took me to a narrow dead end and several circuits of airport and past the college until it decided I could get on the road to home.
Old 11-05-2015, 05:14 PM   #18597
Full time employment: Posting here.

The weather is finally cool for a change so I could spend some time in the back yard doing some clean up.

Did go a bit over the top/OCD and cut back quite a bit of dead/dying bushes, pulling up unwanted wild grass, scooping up leaves, sweeping up, and then some feeding/fertilizing.

The afternoon golden glow is amazing.

Time to prep for dinner. I hope the game tonight is good!
Old 11-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #18598
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Luckily, since our gutters are easily reachable with a stepladder.

I don't do roofs anymore... a guy I worked with fell off a ladder and seriously injured his back and was walking with a cane the last time I saw him... another friend fell off his roof and seriously injured himself... brain damage... could no longer work and is a shell of his former self. Not worth the risk... if I had something that needed to be done on our roofs I'll hire it out.
Frank doesn't do roofs or high ladders any more either, thankfully. I nagged him about it a little bit when he was in his 50's, to little avail, so I stopped. But without me saying another word, he just QUIT doing that around the time he turned 60. He even pays to have his gutters cleaned out, now. I am so glad and hope he stays happy, healthy, and in one piece for a long, long time.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 11-05-2015, 06:38 PM   #18599

Quote:
I have 5 attachment points and three ropes on my roof while I am building my house. The roofer is here this week doing the shingling. Before he is done, I will have one attachment point permanently placed at the peak just above the chimney. The ropes are a real pain to work with and if you step on one, your foot slips, but if you keep them tight while you work, at least you can't slide all the way off the roof.
Old 11-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #18600
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I have 5 attachment points and three ropes on my roof while I am building my house. The roofer is here this week doing the shingling. Before he is done, I will have one attachment point permanently placed at the peak just above the chimney. The ropes are a real pain to work with and if you step on one, your foot slips, but if you keep them tight while you work, at least you can't slide all the way off the roof.
Yea, it would seem like a flat strap would be a better design, as the rope rolls easily.