Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 07-27-2009, 04:44 PM   #1941
Dryer sheet aficionado

Need to kick myself because when I re-tired, I didn't need a work van and Tahoe. I decided to register the van as in-operative, cancel the insurance and someday sell it!
Now, with the cash for junkers program, I'd give it to my daughter to use towards the purchase of her new car. Only, it won't qualify and it's not worth what she could've gotten!!!
So I guess I'll have to "kick myself" today.
OH well,

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2009, 04:55 PM   #1942
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
CJ, did you take the picture at the Schwab office?

I just saw your post now, NW-B. Yes, Schwab. I see it closed higher today, 9108.51. Nice trend, if it holds.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #1943
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Yes, the main Schwab office. We were there in the downtown area one time we were in SF. It was great drinking coffee in the morning, while watching hurried commuters going to work. The coffee tasted better!
Old 07-28-2009, 02:33 PM   #1944
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by spncity View Post
Do you share recipes?

If not, no worries.
Sure. This is from The Bread Machine Cookbook. I make the dough in the machine, then divide it in three. I roll out three cylinders of dough, flatten them a bit, put in chopped Kalamata olives and perhaps some cheese, then seal them up. I turn them over so that the seal is on the bottom.

Everything else is done as per the recipe below. 45 minutes must be a misprint, 'cause it's always done after about 25 (even in Challah shape).

Funny thing: I made this for a picnic, and one of the women there was asking my wife questions about it. She had to say several times "I didn't make it, he did." Sexism lives, apparently.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:35 PM   #1945
Give me a forum ...

I came back online after a wonderful 2 week vacation at sea. Pics will be forthcoming as soon as I wade through the more than 500 that dh2b took.
My biggest challenge du jour is to decide whether to try to catch up on past threads or just start fresh. I think a fresh re-entry is easiest.
Hey, I'm FIREd. I am no longer paid to think.
Old 07-28-2009, 04:57 PM   #1946
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Made our monthly trip to Costco. Beer, wine, laundry detergent, dishwasher detergent, vitamins, lamb chops, pork chops, steaks (we repackage the meats into twosies and freeze them). A big bill and what did we save? As far as I can tell, not a cent. All potential savings morphed into luxury foods that we would not ordinarily buy: cashews, almonds, smoked salmon, manchego cheese.

Moral: Never, ever, go to Costco when you are hungry.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:11 PM   #1947

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
She had been sleeping a lot lately so I know it was an easy death. A great lady and one I will miss, but I know she is in a much better place.
It does sound like she had an easy death. She lived a good life and had a great nephew with her during the end of her life. I hope that I should be so lucky.

I am sorry for your loss though and I agree that she would be in a better place. It is nice that you and the relatives celibrated her life.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:20 PM   #1948

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlondieMM View Post
DH and I spent our first of 3 days caring for our daughter's two sons -- our youngest grandsons who are 2 and 3 months - in their home. Also in the mix -- 4 dogs (our two and their two). The 2 year old has some medical issues which require some extra procedures, and the 3 month old is not yet on a regular schedule. We had 2 children of our own 30 plus years ago, and I remember asking myself why everyone thought taking care of kids was so hard -- I remembered it as being quite easy, and I always had time to do extras like read, sew, do needlework, etc. DH was in the Army then and gone a lot, so I did most of it myself. Well, today we made it with two of us on the job, but we were busy every second and are now totally pooped. What a difference 30 years makes!! But we are so glad we got to do this.....the 2 year old is amazingly adaptable and follows our directions quite well. Hope it lasts!!!
I was laughing reading this. I just watched my 1 yr old granddaughter for a week. My DH is still working and he normally gets off at 4:00, but did not get home until 6:50 on Friday night and had to work 5 hrs on Sat (he normally does not work on weekends) That was his story and he is sticking to it. Her bedtime is 7:30 and some days I was watching the clock, just waiting for 7:30 to get there. She was getting me up at 6:30 and would only take 1 nap per day. My DD's DH is in a 3 month training in TX and she is going back out for a week in Sept. I need to start resting up now! I love her dearly, but I definitely do not have the energy at 56 that I had in my 20's and 30's.
Old 07-28-2009, 07:55 PM   #1949
Give me a forum ...

Dawg - I just saw this quoted "She had been sleeping a lot lately so I know it was an easy death. A great lady and one I will miss, but I know she is in a much better place."

I am very sorry for your recent loss of your beloved aunt. Your posts in recent times about doing things with and for her were wonderful. You came across as very caring and attentive.
We should all be so lucky to have a nephew like you, eh?
Old 07-30-2009, 02:07 PM   #1950

Took a gamble on the 30% chance of rain and after picking up some prescriptions, rode the motorcycle to Cunningham Falls State Park in MD. Taking the back roads via Antietam and Boonsboro it's a nice ride. Now I've found a new area to explore on the bike.

I didn't do anything there, just picked up a brochure at the visitor's center and headed back home, but it's a nice 90-mile round trip ride. Today is our 21st wedding anniversary and DW must be taken out tonight. I suggested riding the bike to dinner and she was um, not receptive to that idea. Oh, well.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:02 PM   #1951
Give me a forum ...

Played golf this morning for the first time in about 10 days. Played pretty good. Got to legally play from the senior tees as I am 55 today. Had some pizza and cake with mom so now time for a little golf on tv and then a nap. Looks like another storm about to brew outside.
Old 07-30-2009, 03:09 PM   #1952
Administrator

Happy Birthday, Dawg52!! Playing golf was a perfect activity to celebrate and have fun today. Pizza and cake sounds pretty good, too.

- - H. Melville, 1851
Old 07-30-2009, 03:13 PM   #1953

Quote:
Looks like another storm about to brew outside.
Sit on the balcony/porch with a nice cool beverage and enjoy the last of the birthday. Sounds like a good one to me.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:20 PM   #1954
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazy connie View Post
Sit on the balcony/porch with a nice cool beverage and enjoy the last of the birthday. Sounds like a good one to me.
My luck, my can of beer would attract a lightning bolt.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:47 PM   #1955

Go to hard liquor and mix up in a camel pack!
Old 07-30-2009, 06:08 PM   #1956

Happy Birthday. 55, eh? May you see a 100; years old, that is, not on the par 72.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 AM   #1957
Give me a forum ...

I went on a 60 mile bike ride with a friend who is a much stronger rider than I am. We rode through the Avenue of the Giants. DW came with us for the first 15 miles. For the last 30, I felt like I was going to puke.

Old 08-01-2009, 10:06 AM   #1958
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Played golf this morning for the first time in about 10 days. Played pretty good. Got to legally play from the senior tees as I am 55 today. Had some pizza and cake with mom so now time for a little golf on tv and then a nap. Looks like another storm about to brew outside.
Right behind you, Dawg. Age-wise, that is; way behind on the golf score...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 08-01-2009, 02:34 PM   #1959
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Played golf this morning for the first time in about 10 days. Played pretty good. Got to legally play from the senior tees as I am 55 today.
Happy double nickels!
Old 08-01-2009, 02:39 PM   #1960
Give me a forum ...

Finally got over my jet lag...I just returned from 2 wonderful weeks of a classic Mediterranean cruise. Gained some weight (oops ) and have a deep brown tan that will be the envy of my friends who've had nothing but rain.
I did a ton of laundry over the past 3 days. I'm going on strike for a while.