what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I refilled all the cartridges in the main printer today. Nice when they are all low at the same time.

It's fun and easy but scary because if ink got to the wrong place it would be a disaster. This printer is in the living room. I put a tarp down just to transfer the cartridges to the garage.

Workout this morning, Ice skating in the afternoon. Love this this retirement stuff. Plus the senior discount at the rink buys a great cup of coffee and an oatmeal raisin cookie. I had to cough up 50 cents for the newspaper so I could do the crossword puzzle.

I have spent the day trying to make unhappy people happy, stupid people smarter, clueless people more aware and anal retentive accountants a little less constipated.

I think this )(*&)#* weather is driving people nuts.

Nui

*only 393 more days

Fabricated and welded together a subsoiler attachment for my tractor. Then I used it to try to find a lost drainage pipe. It was kind of fun to do some welding again, then test it to see if it was any good.

Another answer for "what do you do all day" queries. :LOL:

Promoted to LTJG (O2E) at the Mets game at Citi Field today :)

p.s. - and the Mets actually came back to win!!

Busy day today...the housecleaner came, I moved all of my container plants outdoors, I mowed the back yard and did some laundry...all this going on while Mr B put in 6 hours of volunteer w*rk setting up for the Legion convention. He is feeling good enough to do that type of thing now and is officially off no-strenuous activity restrictions. :dance:
I'm scheduled to cook breakfast for the Convention, with a 6 AM showup time tomorrow. :( I will get free breakfast, Bloody Marys all AM, and the satisfaction of bailing out a very shorthanded cooking crew.
All in all a good deal. :D

I finished a long list of things I wanted to get done when I retired yesterday. The last one was painting the house which was a PITA. Now I'm working on a few 7oz Coronas and looking forward to playing golf in the morning. I'm not working on anything the rest of the summer unless it's on fire and I can't run fast enough to get away from it.

Today was Day 1 of our 2 day garage sale. We've been planning for this for a few weeks, gathering items, organizing and pricing things. We've had to park our cars out on the driveway because we had so much garage sale stuff in the garage. We were going to be very short on table space to display all this stuff but our son came through with borrowing 3 nice sized banquet tables from one of his theater connections.

Last year our city made an ordinance that prohibits yard sale signs anywhere but on your own property so we could not place signs around the neighborhood. That really cuts down on your exposure, so instead we had a large sign in our front yard for the last few days. I also placed an ad in the local paper and a detailed ad on Craigslist.

My DH had a lot of electronics and camping gear. One of the sons had die cast construction toys, HO scale trains and a bike. I had housewares including dishes, storage containers and some of our wedding gifts from 1976. I figured if I hadn't used those silver platters and crystal candleholders by now, maybe I don't need them around.

DH sold most of his electronics and our son sold his bike and all of his HO scale trains. I sold $10 worth of Tupperware and nothing else. I guess nobody else needs my 35 year old wedding gifts either.

I'll drop the prices for Day 2 and if things don't sell I'm going to have to decide of it all goes to Goodwill or if I bring the stuff back in and try eBay.

Overall, we've made about $300 so far, about half of that belongs to our son for the stuff he sold.

Most asked about item - a Technics SL-1300 turntable. People notice it and drool over it and 2 guys have said they may come back for it. I really hope it sells and I'll throw in a silverplated water pitcher for free!

We're on vacation this week in NC. Spent time with the granddaughter (4yrs old). Met my best friend since high school for lunch. Went out to dinner (seafood) with mom (81 yrs), my wife, youngest sister (49), her boyfriend, mom & granddaughter. Had a real nice time today, and really...the whole week was great. After this week's vacation, I still have 3 weeks that I have to take before the end of the year or I'll lose them, and no way I'll let that happen, so I'm thinking about coming back up here for my granddaughter's 5th birthday on August 14th. Life's good when you spend it with family & friends...

Finally got to mow all of my lawn as it has not rained for nearly a week. Planted some garden Tomatoes Squash and Peppers. Garden still too wet so planted everything in old tires to raise them above the grade. This took three days need a day off.

Was up until 4am recording a voice-over for a radio commercial. I don't work now, but this was a favor for a producer I used to work with. The commercial is for an [-]investment[/-] trading product that involves leveraged ETF's, probably some fancy software, and who knows what other jiggery pokery. When I was working, the overwhelming majority of my voice work was representing a company that I knew very well and which I believed in. This one felt a bit weird. The first 30 seconds involved selling the product, and the second 30 seconds was just disclaimers (you could lose all your money etc etc).

I was very tempted to include a backwards subliminal message that when played forwards would say "Pssst.....Wellesley" :LOL:

Yesterday we collected 1-4" of rain all over Oahu, with impressive lightning displays. Not exactly inspiring surfing weather.

It looked like more of the same enroute dawn patrol this morning, but after 30 minutes the rain cleared over Ewa & White Plains. The water had cooled off considerably from yesterday's weather and it felt like February all over again. We could watch the lightning a few miles away from the lineup as Honolulu was getting soaked, but the waves were worth the miserable cold water and the windchill.

Unfortunately I stripped out the screw on my center fin and didn't have a spare in the car. But my shoulders are telling me now that I stayed too long anyway.

Six feet today with promise of 6-8 by Monday. I'll be there. It'll give me a chance to make sure my daughter's 7'9" board isn't getting all dried out while she's on summer training...

Day 2 of our garage sale has ended and overall it's been a success. DH sold his Technics SL-1300 turntable and a woman bought 3 out of the 4 silver pieces and both sets of candle holders for a bargain price. We gave away a set of dishes for free at closing time. Our son ended up with $330 and we netted $336, so I'll call that a success. Most of the remaining stuff will go to Goodwill next week.

I'm torn over a wood desk that didn't sell, even when I dropped the price to $15. It was my Dad's, when my parents moved to a condo in 1995 they gave it to me and it's been in my living room. It's "Early American" maple and kind of small for a desk. I used to think it was "good furniture" because my parents used to buy at Ethan Allen but it's obvious this was not purchased there. The knee hole is short and narrow, just not comfortable. When I cleaned it out all I had in it was old junk. The only thing we used it for was a place to put down the laundry basket when I came up from the basement. I've lived with it many years and now I can't find someone to take it off my hands.

I put it at the curb with signs saying "FREE TAKE ME" but it started to rain so we moved it into the garage. I'll get tough and move it back to the curb.

I walked to the drugstore (about 5 blocks) to bring in a presciption. We spent the afternoon vegging out on the patio taling, reading and napping. A wonderfully relaxing day.

I'm torn over a wood desk that didn't sell, even when I dropped the price to $15.

I've lived with it many years and now I can't find someone to take it off my hands.

I put it at the curb with signs saying "FREE TAKE ME" but it started to rain so we moved it into the garage. I'll get tough and move it back to the curb.

I'm also trying to sell old furniture. Today I sold a church pew for $150. It worked very well in the hallway as a place to sit and take off my boots. But I am going to donate most of my unwanted furniture, because the bottom has gone out of the used furniture market. Around here there are many baby boomers downsizing, flooding the market with traditional and antique stuff. And lifestyles are changing. Style is more minimalist, and nobody buys a piece of furniture just to fill a space.

Not today, but this week.....

I spent 5 days in northern Saskatchewan on health related business. I was working with a great team. I got to travel in several small planes including the smallest I will probably ever fly in, which is ironic since I am a white knuckle flyer :eek: but it was a lot of fun.

Here are some pictures taken with my Blackberry. Can anyone explain the optical illusion that the propeller blades are horizontal? I am not in the photos, BTW.

1. Beechcraft King Air 100 (9 passengers)
2. View from Piper Navajo (7 passengers, big windows, great views!)
3. Cessna 185 Skywagon floatplane (4 passengers, old, unpressurized and tiny)
4. Piper Navajo
5. Saab 380B (34 passengers)

Last edited:
Here are some pictures taken with my Blackberry. Can anyone explain the optical illusion that the propeller blades are horizontal?
We hope that's an optical illusion, and not imminent material failure?

My son and DIL and granddaughter came by and we walked up to the park and played and when we got cold and hungry walked down and got hamburgers.

There is no way I would rather spend my time. At the bar, some guy was playing Mick Jagger and ZZ Top on the jukebox, granddaugher Chloe got up and danced.

Ha

Not today, but this week.....

I spent 5 days in northern Saskatchewan on health related business. I was working with a great team. I got to travel in several small planes including the smallest I will probably ever fly in, which is ironic since I am a white knuckle flyer :eek: but it was a lot of fun.

Here are some pictures taken with my Blackberry. Can anyone explain the optical illusion that the propeller blades are horizontal? I am not in the photos, BTW.

1. Beechcraft King Air 100 (9 passengers)
2. View from Piper Navajo (7 passengers, big windows, great views!)
3. Cessna 185 Skywagon floatplane (4 passengers, old, unpressurized and tiny)
4. Piper Navajo
5. Saab 380B (34 passengers)

The only one of those that I would fly on was the Saab 380 B .

Prop: My guess is that the camera is "scanning" from one side to the other. The prop is going so fast that as the scan progresses the prop has moved.

I'm goofing off, listening to digital cable music from the1970s while Mr B attends yet another meeting. He is really getting into this Legion stuff. I haven't heard him say he wanted to get a part time j*b in months. :LOL:

I sold my 2003 vintage, way too heavy Riyobi weedwhacker today to a very close guy friend for $50. It started right up after 1 year of no use. He has a lot of heavy brush to cut down, so the interchangeable metal blade will w*rk perfectly for his needs. He is one happy camper. :D And I didn't have to mess with advertising it or having strangers come to the house to offer me an unfair price.

I guess I better figure out what we are having for dinner. Frozen fish sticks sounds easy. :)

My son and DIL and granddaughter came by and we walked up to the park and played and when we got cold and hungry walked down and got hamburgers.

There is no way I would rather spend my time. At the bar, some guy was playing Mick Jagger and ZZ Top on the jukebox, granddaugher Chloe got up and danced.

Ha

That sounds like the perfect day to me also. Family, park, good music.

We are going to CA to see our granddaughter toward the end of the month. I can't wait. Skyping is nice, but no substitute for having her in my arms!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom