what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As mentioned here, I played at my next-door neighbor's 50th anniversary celebration, together with my other next-door neighbor and his wife.

img_1072621_0_95d802b2e07c671c04b0407f1652568b.jpg

It was at a great location right next to the Trinity river, and the weather was perfect.

img_1072621_1_1150a4f1b5b8a9a6119e22d26a5d3b01.jpg

It was a complete surprise to the couple, and a lot of fun.

For a complete slide show, click here.

My DW and I went out for dinner last night to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary.

Z's Fusion

Wonderful meal in a very nice atmosphere.

Yesterday, I made a seafood chowder in the Crockpot for my SO and I, to celebrate the fact that she found a job. Shrimp, catfish, bacon, diced potatoes, tomato paste, canned diced tomatoes, ground pepper and cajun seasoning all went into the slow cooker with a little water and left for around 7 hours. Served with a garnish of chopped cilantro. I would have taken a picture but we were too eager to sit down and eat.

We ate it while watching "Law And Order UK" which is basically the same as the US version, but with a slightly different legal system, and funny accents.

As mentioned here, I played at my next-door neighbor's 50th anniversary celebration, together with my other next-door neighbor and his wife.

It was at a great location right next to the Trinity river, and the weather was perfect.

It was a complete surprise to the couple, and a lot of fun.

For a complete slide show, click here.

Looks like a very enjoyable afternoon was had by all - and the setting is beautiful.

Preached the sermon at church today. (Technically, it was "delivering the message", since I'm not one of the ministers.) Expounding on St. Augustine's quote "He who sings once, prays twice", I spoke about the use of music in our church. It went well, I think. At least, people were kind enough to say they liked it. And I had fun doing it.

Last night, I helped chaperone the Junior Prom at the high school where the young wife teaches. A very interesting experience, although I did feel somewhat like an anthropologist observing one of the "uncontacted tribes".

Made dinner for the work crew (our awesome neighbors) and then finished hauling the brush up from the back yard. Helped keep the chipper fed after that. Apparently we chipped about 80 yards of brush.

DW and I spent the morning working to install a suspended ceiling in a portion of our basement. Going well so far, first time we've tried this and so far, not so bad.

Phase II of simplifying our yard chores...

I have a 1990s vintage weed whacker that is very heavy and is difficult to start. The vibration from the engine and the weight of it just kills my hands and upper body.
I researched and purchased a cordless weed whacker.
Amazon.com: Black & Decker NST2118 12-Inch 18-Volt Ni-Cd Cordless Electric GrassHog String Trimmer/Edger: Home & Garden

Mr B and I will have no trouble using this lightweight, automatic starting (by trigger) machine. No extension cords to drag around. No more mixing and storing excess fuel. :D
It is dual purpose as a trimmer and edger. I need to edge the driveway in preparation of getting it resealed on contract. It is way overdue for that.
I will get Mr B busy selling the older weedwhacker to one of his coffee buddies at the Legion. So much easier than advertising it on craigslist. :D

Your post is timely to my situation.
Why just the other day I was making yet another repair on my electric weed wacker. It would take a full paragraph to describe the faulty design that has 2 6-32 screws pushing on the plastic housing with the full torque of the wacker. And the life saving repair that involved sheet metal and drywall screws. Electrically insulated from me with duck tape (this is NOT OSHA approved).
I deserve this new cordless lifesaver. I think I will buy.

Thanks (you too Is99)

Today begins my recuperation from being out of town. I spent time with daddy at his house and momma at the nursing home. She developed pneumonia a couple of weeks ago but is doing a bit better now.

While at the nursing home I noticed a new RN. He went to momma's room with me and we talked about her condition. I didn't pay any attention to his name tag, but he looked so familiar. I noticed he kept glancing at me with a quizzical look on his face. At the same time, we recognized each other....he was my first boyfriend and I was his first girlfriend. We dated each other for a while and went to the high school prom together...37 years ago. :)

There's no doubt he'll take very good care of my momma.

Today begins my recuperation from being out of town. I spent time with daddy at his house and momma at the nursing home. She developed pneumonia a couple of weeks ago but is doing a bit better now.

While at the nursing home I noticed a new RN. He went to momma's room with me and we talked about her condition. I didn't pay any attention to his name tag, but he looked so familiar. I noticed he kept glancing at me with a quizzical look on his face. At the same time, we recognized each other....he was my first boyfriend and I was his first girlfriend. We dated each other for a while and went to the high school prom together...37 years ago. :)

There's no doubt he'll take very good care of my momma.

We missed you! So sweet that your first boyfriend is taking care of your mother.

Your post is timely to my situation.
Why just the other day I was making yet another repair on my electric weed wacker. It would take a full paragraph to describe the faulty design that has 2 6-32 screws pushing on the plastic housing with the full torque of the wacker. And the life saving repair that involved sheet metal and drywall screws. Electrically insulated from me with duck tape (this is NOT OSHA approved).
I deserve this new cordless lifesaver. I think I will buy.

Thanks (you too Is99)
My pleasure to have been helpful. :D
I am an ace at defining critical specs and researching equipment of many types, a skill I took away from my technical career. The specs were...preferably no gas or power cords and rechargeable battery with a spare included, low weight, easy to start, easy spool change, and low to medium cost. I looked at a LOT of weedwhackers online before I chose this one. The dual capability (trimmer and edger) was a bonus.

My thanks also to ls99 for the feedback :flowers:

I did laundry and surfed today. I cleared a path for the removal of a very heavy treadmill that was left here by a previous household resident. Two guys will showing up Wed with a pickup truck and their muscles. :dance: It will be sold at a weekend public garage sale whose proceeds will benefit the local VFW.

I have the trickle charger on the Mustang battery. Tstorms are forecast for today, but the minute we get clear weather, it's gonna be vrooooom vrooom time. :D

Helped my downstairs neighbor (48) clean and organize her kitchen. She has MS and ADD and had gotten to that state where she was overwhelmed by the situation and couldn't get the project started. I was the catalyst.

She did all the dishes and I helped her re-organize the cabinets so everything was easily accessible, swapped in a smaller table and got her to throw a bunch of stuff away. It took us a couple of hours but the kitchen was transformed when we were done. :dance: She was elated and I earned myself a big hug!

Took one of our shelties to the vet due to having a cycst between her toes (which she is chewing).

We're starting out on oral meds with the hope that she does not have to wear the "cone of shame", like Dug (of the movie "Up")...

2v0mmu0.jpg

We missed you! So sweet that your first boyfriend is taking care of your mother.
Thank you. :flowers:

I know he has many other patients to attend to, but I like to think there is a bit of a bond there. :)

Helped my downstairs neighbor (48) clean and organize her kitchen. She has MS and ADD and had gotten to that state where she was overwhelmed by the situation and couldn't get the project started. I was the catalyst.

She did all the dishes and I helped her re-organize the cabinets so everything was easily accessible, swapped in a smaller table and got her to throw a bunch of stuff away. It took us a couple of hours but the kitchen was transformed when we were done. :dance: She was elated and I earned myself a big hug!
Well done......here's another one!
sLo_BigBearHug.gif

:)

I sold my house for 3.08 times what I paid for it 20 years ago. Simplistically, that's a 7% IRR, not accounting for fees and investment in the house over the years. I could have done much better had I listed a month earlier, when there was no inventory. Unfortunately many other people listed their homes the week I did. But I do think it's a fair price. I am so glad to reach this stage and move on! :dance:

Congratulations on selling your house, Meadbh, and getting such a good price for it! That's the type of happy occurrence that seems more and more rare these days, so you have every reason to be very happy. :D

I sold my house for 3.08 times what I paid for it 20 years ago. Simplistically, that's a 7% IRR, not accounting for fees and investment in the house over the years. I could have done much better had I listed a month earlier, when there was no inventory. Unfortunately many other people listed their homes the week I did. But I do think it's a fair price. I am so glad to reach this stage and move on! :dance:
Congratultions ! That was great & fast ! Enjoy your new life !

Recovering from overnight jet flight, jet lag, and the joy of the weather-induced backup at JFK. Oof.

We had the extended family back in New York for our older daughter's graduation from law school. I think DD was a bit overwhelmed with Too Much Family. She's got some quiet time now, though. Just her and the bar exam prep course... :facepalm:

Stopped at the Goodwill store the yesterday just to poke around. They had a huge box of VHS tapes with a sign reading "25 for $3.99" I found about a half dozen that looked like good fare for my grandson and took them to the counter. Total was $6 plus tax. WTF! :facepalm:

No amount of reasoning with the clerk did any good. She insisted they were $4 for 25 or $1 apiece. I just left and will stick to garage sales. :nonono:

Replaced one sticking brake caliper on Jag. Soon off for coffee.

Edit add: DW just presented a large box of stuff to drop off at Goodwill. No I'm not peeking inside.

Stopped at the Goodwill store the yesterday just to poke around. They had a huge box of VHS tapes with a sign reading "25 for $3.99" I found about a half dozen that looked like good fare for my grandson and took them to the counter. Total was $6 plus tax. WTF! :facepalm:

No amount of reasoning with the clerk did any good. She insisted they were $4 for 25 or $1 apiece. I just left and will stick to garage sales. :nonono:

Why didn't you just go back and get 25 pieces? Then, keep the 6 that you wanted and then donate back the remaining pieces and deduct $19 ($1 a piece) for your charitable deductions.

Today I went furniture shopping & then to the movies to see "Bridesmaids " . It was marginally funny . Wait for the DVD .

Why didn't you just go back and get 25 pieces? Then, keep the 6 that you wanted and then donate back the remaining pieces and deduct $19 ($1 a piece) for your charitable deductions.

I thought about it, but can't itemize anymore. :LOL:

Another super day for me. I went to the gym, and when I was finishing my rowing intervals session a woman that I had danced Lindy with back in the early to mid 00s sat down on a stretching device alongside me. We chatted a little and she told me that she had started doing salsa and mostly went to a dancehall near me. She has picked up a little gray hair but still looks hot hot hot.

Then I left feeling expansive from the workout and all so I went to a nice oyster bar happy hour and spent the better part of 2 hours talking with a very sweet middle aged flight atttendant who was on a layover enroute from New York, and then on to LA which is her home. I am practicing strict fidelity, but she did ask for my phone so we might have another happy hour together.

Took a bus up the hill and got some victuals from Trader Joe and now I am thinking about dinner.

I really do like these interval training sessions. They kick up my T, and do not wear me out completely.

Ha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom