what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're visiting DD#2 and family in West TX. I've been helping my SIL build some shelves in his new man-shed. After six hours in the breathtaking heat, I surrendered and left it with him. The thermometer says 110 F...

Dawn patrol again this morning, but "only" 3-5 feet. Instead of my daughter's 7'9" I used my 9'0" for a completely different ride.

We met with the architect last night for our familyroom rehab. (Step 1: Rip off the roof and raise the ceiling.) After an hour on the roof with a roll of blue painter's tape we figured out the rough outline of what can be done. Best of all was the suggestion to also raise the roof/ceiling in our back lanai, which opens up all sorts of possibilities for enhanced longboard storage. Whatever this guy charges, he's worth it.

Spoke to our daughter this morning for the first time since she's had her midshipman submarine ride. She had a great time. Heck, she even finished their mid qual card and observed a set of engineering drills. She has surrendered to the pull of The Force.

I saw the Google car twice in one day in 2008. I kept checking for our area to show up and it was about 5 months later that it was updated.
Thanks, I'll put it on my calendar!

BTW, the new owner of the house has asked us to meet them there one day this week to show them how a number of things work, pool controls, home theater, and a couple of other general questions- does anyone see an issue with doing this before closing?

I would just leave a binder with all of that information for them, and be firm that that is all they are going to get. Normally there wouldn't be an issue, but why take a chance?

Sounds just what I am doing these days! I have a bookcase in my living room but I am thinking of moving it to one of the bedrooms. I have a small office/den in my new place, and before buying anything I measured it every which way, several times. I bought the mirror image of this desk on sale

http://www.slf-co.com/home_office_collections/kendall.html

and am very happy with it. The chair is on order. Since I now have my printer and all my electronics set up I am ready to organize my desk as soon as the laundry is done (the laundry is off the den). I splurged and bought myself a new bamboo sheet set. This is my first big laundry day in my new place, and I made a horrifying discovery: I have no dryer sheets! :2funny:

I love your big desk, Meadbh!! That is just gorgeous and looks like it would have plenty of room for everything one might need in a home office. If I had a larger home office I would get one just like that. :D

I can sure sympathize with your furniture/bookcase moving.

My home office is in a room that is just too small for many desks. I decided on the 56" wide desk in the attached commercial photo, because 60" wouldn't fit. I can put my desktop computer monitor on top of the little hutch, where the vase is in the photo. The keyboard can go in the drawer, or under the hutch, or maybe even on top of the hutch when not in use, and at any rate I will still have room to write. Also, I think probably the legs are just screwed onto the desk, so I can take them off to get it into (and later maybe out of) the tightly packed tiny home office room.

Mostly I will be so glad to have the drawers and nooks for my office supplies, so that I can finally find what I need when I need it. Paper clips, or envelopes, or erasers, will all be at my fingertips... :D I just bought a file cabinet so I didn't need a file drawer in the desk.

Attachments

• desk.jpg
    desk.jpg
    31.7 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:
H&K = Hug and Kiss :D

Yes, still held at Morrisville College. Over 1000 young men, in the top 15% of their class scholastically, from all over the state are attending. Mr B signed up as an Assistant Counselor, not a full-fledged Counselor, to see if it is something he will want to continue to do. He told me that wakeup call for everyone is at 4 AM, with active duty Marines managing the flock of boys before they attend classes.

I too was envisioning something far more exciting than a mere hug and kiss.

And, as for Boys State, I don't remmeber military dudes having anything to do with it. I wonder if the parents sending their kids there know what kind of military exposure they are going to get. Sorry for getting political here, but I sure wouldn't want my kids (well, now grandkids) exposed to that stuff.

Love your desk, W2R. It looks like something I would buy. I have a desk built into my kitchen cabinetry that I use for bill paying and paperwork. As I have a wireless router and a laptop, I have fallen into the bad habit of lounging on my sofa like a (clothed) odalisque to do my recreational computer stuff.
Today I did not do much except sleep in, take the pooch for a walk, shop for groceries and do laundry. The usual tasks one does when one works M-F.

Tomorrow I have to get up quite early, though, as a friend from the office is picking me up at 7 a.m. for a day-long garden tour sponsored by the Pittsburgh Botanic Garden with town and country sites all over Allegheny County. Should be fun, glad she is driving.

Reactions: W2R
I would just leave a binder with all of that information for them, and be firm that that is all they are going to get. Normally there wouldn't be an issue, but why take a chance?

I concur. When I sold my house last month, my real estate agent worked with me to include not only photographs of the garden in bloom, but details of all the major renovations and maintenance items over the years. I had all the manuals ready for the new owners. In fact, I had the design for the basement reno that I never did. The binder was a major selling point. The buyers asked if they could have the designs before closing so they could get ready to implement them right away, and I was fine with that. But I would not have agreed to a post hoc discussion of the house's pluses and minuses. That might have led to sober second thoughts and I would consider it risky. I prefer not to meet with the new owners at all.

I love your big desk, Meadbh!! That is just gorgeous and looks like it would have plenty of room for everything one might need in a home office. If I had a larger home office I would get one just like that. :D

Thanks W2R. I didn't buy the really big desk, I bought the computer desk and hutch (8098-916). That's 60" wide and fits nicely with space on each side in a 75" alcove. It has one file drawer and loads of space for all the little stuff. I also have a metal two drawer filing cabinet which I had in my last home. But I need a lot more filing space, so I have purchased two nice four drawer legal ones from Staples and will assemble them soon. They will replace the cardboard filing drawers that I had in the basement!

WhoDaresWins said:
Love your desk, W2R. It looks like something I would buy. I have a desk built into my kitchen cabinetry that I use for bill paying and paperwork. As I have a wireless router and a laptop, I have fallen into the bad habit of lounging on my sofa like a (clothed) odalisque to do my recreational computer stuff.

Thank you! I do essentially all of my computing on my laptop, too. I probably don't really need a desktop computer, but I have one. It is nice to have when Frank comes over, so that we can both get online if we want to, but mostly it is just a spare.

Thanks W2R. I didn't buy the really big desk, I bought the computer desk and hutch (8098-916). That's 60" wide and fits nicely with space on each side in a 75" alcove.

Oh!!! That explains it. I was wondering how you could fit the really big desk into what you described as a smaller office/den. :LOL:

I like your choice of computer desk and hutch too (though, with infinite space, of course that big one would be terrific. :) ). Nice hutch!

With a 75" alcove, you have about the same space constraints that I have. In my case it is 72" of wall space for the file cabinet and desk. It should fit with about 1"-2" to spare. :D

Meadbh said:
It has one file drawer and loads of space for all the little stuff. I also have a metal two drawer filing cabinet which I had in my last home. But I need a lot more filing space, so I have purchased two nice four drawer legal ones from Staples and will assemble them soon. They will replace the cardboard filing drawers that I had in the basement!

That's great! I hope they fit in your office with room to spare. I am enjoying my recently acquired file cabinet so much. It is much easier to find things, and to file things, now.

When I first bought my house, I was LBYM'ing too much to buy a desk so I used a table that I already had. Then, after retiring we were planning to move north, so still no desk since I didn't want more to move. Now seems like a good time in my life to get one.

Last edited:
When I first bought my house, I was LBYM'ing too much to buy a desk, so I used a table. Then, after retiring we were planning to move north, so still no desk since I didn't want more to move. Now seems like a good time in my life to get one.

I love your new desk, W2R. It's a very refined writing desk and looks like Mission style. I would love one like that too if it met my needs.

Good thing, too. You can get quite a little scorch mark when the laptop battery gets hot.

Breakfast with wifey at a small local diner in Bossier City. Then, we went to the commissary at the Air Force base & bought the week's groceries. Then....went to the movies to see Bad Teacher, with Cameron Diaz. Ok...I suppose. More of a chick-flick to me. But...it did have some salty language and one VERY nice set of ta-ta's exposed & close up...!!! Then drove around near DD's house & looked over some neighborhoods for a possible retirement home for us. Last thing was we stopped off at a local BBQ joint for some dinner. That's enough for one day!

Breakfast at diner, back home to tend to yard work and laundry, then off to BF's birthday gathering for Grandmama - she turned 102 today! Funny thing is her "special meal request" was for KFC!!

Oh, and played with the new iPhone whenever I was a passenger today! So many good free apps, so little time. Discovered the AAA apps...

I too was envisioning something far more exciting than a mere hug and kiss.

And, as for Boys State, I don't remmeber military dudes having anything to do with it. I wonder if the parents sending their kids there know what kind of military exposure they are going to get. Sorry for getting political here, but I sure wouldn't want my kids (well, now grandkids) exposed to that stuff.
Good observation, because I asked Mr B the very same question about the Marines. :D
Boys' State is sponsored by the American Legion, a national veterans' organization. The Marines are there as volunteers, specifically to lead a huge group of teenage boys in the physical exercise and morning meal parts, not as recruiters. The entire day (after PT and breakfast) is spent with veteran (former military) counselors and instructors in smaller groups.

And my H&K's tend to be pretty exciting, judging by Mr B's reaction. ;)

I almost forgot....:blush:...I launched the boat today. It was supposed to be just cloudy, but it rained lightly and steadily throughout the entire process. I am happy to report that I did not melt. ;) I owe the guy friend who helped me launch it at least 2 free dinners out. He wore a long sleeve shirt, ending up soaked from his chest to his wrists.
I wore very light clothes, hoping it would bring nice weather. Nice try but no cigar.
It took almost $96 to fill the gas tank. Ouch! :( My new boat mantra is Cost/benefit, cost/benefit...argh :facepalm:

I couldn't open it up and take a joyride, but it is safely tied up at the walkup slip. Rain is expected for the rest of the week, I think, so I will be going over and running the bilge manually.
My canvas cover is on its last legs, so I will have to come up with a solution to that. I may just stitch some waterproof fabric over the existing cover versus investing in a brand new cover. TBD...I have a roll of leftover marine cover fabric (from a previous boat) hanging around in the garage. Sometimes it is good to be a packrat. :cool:

My canvas cover is on its last legs, so I will have to come up with a solution to that. I may just stitch some waterproof fabric over the existing cover versus investing in a brand new cover. TBD...I have a roll of leftover marine cover fabric (from a previous boat) hanging around in the garage. Sometimes it is good to be a packrat. :cool:

Duct tape.

Laughed at a pic of Arnold Ziffel, watched a fascinating program regarding Quantum Physics then later watched Alice Cooper in concert.

:)

It is not raining today. :dance:

I think I will go out to the garden and do some "persuading" of my 3 year old grapevines. They survived the winter and are going crazy. I was going to prune them way back in early spring, but I want them to establish a strong vine base before I start doing that. I'll just cut back the long thin vines and leave the medium size ones to develop along the horizontal wood supports.

Still playing around with the new camera. This thing has what appears to be 9x9x3 different combinations of autofocus modes alone, or over 200. But it is fast and in most situations is faster than a human could be.

Finished reading a book for a review titled The Problem With Money? It's Not About the Money! by Jane Honeck. It's a short book but a good read. Think along the lines of What Color is Your Parachute? but focusing on the emotional aspects of why people do what they do with money. Or more specifically, why you do what you do with money.

An interesting question is what is your earliest memory about money? For me it is being about six years old and holding a flashlight for my father while he tried to get the oil-fired furnace working. Outside temperatures were in the single digits, the house was getting cold fast, and we didn't have the money to pay someone to fix the furnace.

That made me realize why, when I bought a house, from day one I always wanted enough money in the bank to write a check for a new furnace even though at the time I had the skills to build one from components.

Awakened to the nasty sound of my alarm clock. :mad:

I thought I was done with that clock when I retired, but I am tired of sleeping past noon and missing half the day. I hope this is a good idea and that I am not completely cuckoo to be doing this. :crazy:

Maybe time to stop watching the late night three hankie movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom