what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went in for a skin cancer treatment (Levulan Karastick PDT - "Blue Light") for my entire face. For a little over 16 minutes it made my face feel like it was being severly burned. They blew cold air on my face during the treatment to limit the discomfort. It still feels burned after 5 hours. When it was over it looked like it was severely burned or I had the plague. I have to stay out of the sun and even strong indoor lights for 48 hours then minimum exposure to sun for a few more days. Sure hope this works. I've tried every other treatment on the market during the past 15 years with little success other than a few Mohs surgeries.

Time for a beer or three.

Cheers!

I did this about 1.5 years ago. I had to go in for 3 (steadily harsher/longer) treatments over about 2 months. If you are not to concerned about getting messed up, the lady that did my treatment had a mist water sprayer and was constantly spraying me. It was only the 3rd treatment that really hurt. Kept the spots from coming back for a good year.....now they are creeping back again but still not quite as bad as they were.

Just back from the one week check up after big toe arthritis surgery. They seemed to be fairly impressed that I had no swelling. I got the feeling that most people don't sit with their feet up like you are supposed to.

Just back from the one week check up after big toe arthritis surgery. They seemed to be fairly impressed that I had no swelling. I got the feeling that most people don't sit with their feet up like you are supposed to.

DWs big toe arthritis isn't severe enough to need surgery, and hopefully she never will now that she's discovered the alternative medicine treatment for it - Gin-Soaked Raisins for Arthritis

DWs big toe arthritis isn't severe enough to need surgery, and hopefully she never will now that she's discovered the alternative medicine treatment for it - Gin-Soaked Raisins for Arthritis

Oh oh....now you got my wife's attention. Being a Brit.....anything Gin related....and can possibly be used as an excuse for actually being good for you (even if very nebulous) is a good thing. Although I don't think she is willing to let the Gin evaporate off......

Actually....my toe wasn't that bad...yet. It had been getting worse though and the timing was right to just get it done now. Fair amount of bone to be shaved off in several places around the joint. But....I don't really care for gin.... so that treatment wouldn't have been very appealing anyway.

My considered medical opinion is that gin can improve any health condition. I hear that Bombay Sapphire is particularly helpful in these situations. You simply pour a glass of it, show it a picture of a vermouth bottle, and call it a martini.

As I recall, my father and stepmother had a gin and tonic every evening when we were growing up - for "medicinal purposes" they used to say.

I did this about 1.5 years ago. I had to go in for 3 (steadily harsher/longer) treatments over about 2 months. If you are not to concerned about getting messed up, the lady that did my treatment had a mist water sprayer and was constantly spraying me. It was only the 3rd treatment that really hurt. Kept the spots from coming back for a good year.....now they are creeping back again but still not quite as bad as they were.

Not pleased to hear the treatments get more intense. The first was bad enough and I have to go back for a second treatment in Feb. for the top of my nekkid head that will have been done 7 months previously. I'm hoping that will be the last of them. It's still better than Effudex.

I heard about the arthritis treatment a few years ago. Maybe when Mrs. Kerry was in the news talking about it. I may have to try it. The yellow raisins are easy enough to find but is all gin still made with juniper berries? I would hate to have to start all over with another bottle after finishing the first if it wasn't the correct kind. :D Or is this an on going treatment?

Cheers!

I have not had arthritis problems, but do have a bottle of Bombay Sapphire in my cabinet.

Perhaps I should cut back on my alcohol intake elsewhere and up the intake of gin to ward off any potential arthritis. Some may say to add the gin to the existing intake as cutting back the wine and the cognac may cause some other medical problems, so there's that dilemma. :)

Last edited:
Currently sitting in the waiting room while my sis in-law has physical therapy. Have been helping out since her knee replacement a week and half ago.

Oh oh....now you got my wife's attention. Being a Brit.....anything Gin related....and can possibly be used as an excuse for actually being good for you (even if very nebulous) is a good thing. Although I don't think she is willing to let the Gin evaporate off......

Actually....my toe wasn't that bad...yet. It had been getting worse though and the timing was right to just get it done now. Fair amount of bone to be shaved off in several places around the joint. But....I don't really care for gin.... so that treatment wouldn't have been very appealing anyway.

Speaking of gin, I always sort of liked g & t's and have a current favorite (Hendrick's...distilled in Scotland) which I find to be much smoother than any other brand. I put a splash in a glass, add some lemon-flavored seltzer water (a diet friendly mixer), and a squeeze of fresh lemon. I am having a tipple right now in celebration of TGIF while I ponder what to throw together for my dinner. I don't add ice...waters it down.

Speaking of gin, I always sort of liked g & t's and have a current favorite (Hendrick's...distilled in Scotland) which I find to be much smoother than any other brand. I put a splash in a glass, add some lemon-flavored seltzer water (a diet friendly mixer), and a squeeze of fresh lemon. I am having a tipple right now in celebration of TGIF while I ponder what to throw together for my dinner. I don't add ice...waters it down.

I agree--Hendrick's is the best. :)

Now that summer's over, I've moved to Johnnie Walker, though. ;)

Gotta love the Scots!

Visiting my sister and we made freezer meals. Parmesan Garlic Chicken, Sloppy Joes, Finger Lickin Good Ribs, Bacon and Ranch Chicken, Melt In Your Mputh Potroasr, and Montery Jack Chicken.
All told we ended up with 62 meals. We divided them three ways giving one set of each to my sis inlaw who just had knee replacement surgery.
Phew! Feels good to sit down for awhile!

A friend and I made freezer meals today for a mutual friend who is a temporarily single parent. These sound very interesting - where did you get the recipes?

I'm putting in a radon abatement system. Today's task was busting a 5 inch hole through 4 inches of old concrete for the suction pit. I bought a new Harbor Freight hammer drill for the task and it banged about 20 holes around the hole perimeter pretty quickly. Still a lot of work. :(

Attachments

• radon.gif
    radon.gif
    17.3 KB · Views: 198
We drove up to southern PA to take a shredder/chipper machine, hand-held gas leaf blower, old wheelbarrow, and a chain saw to DW's nephews in-laws. They took us out to lunch. We got a nice lunch with a pleasant couple, I got rid of some stuff I no longer use since FIL's house sold and have no use for. Good deal all around.

Got the bad news the transmission in DW's car is toast so she's getting a new car for her birthday later this month, almost certainly a new Honda Accord. The value of her car is ~$2k, about what a replacement transmission is and there is a slight oil leak in the engine that will only get worse with time. Oh well, we got 174k miles out of it. Stopped by the Honda dealer on the way home just to get the brochure that describes what is in the different trim lines and such.

Last edited:
Went to the Waffle House for breakfast, then went by my daughter and son-in-law's house (I own) and watered some plants that I had put in the ground last week. I then came home (4 miles) and blew the leaves off the roof of my house and two garages, also cleaned off gutter guards. I then raked the leaves from the rear of the house around the side to the front and burned them. :) By then it was 4:00pm. I checked out some baseball cards on eBay and then helped my wife with bringing in groceries. Now I'm online again, posting here and checking out eBay again.

I pulled a muscle in my back over the weekend, and it hurts a lot so I slept 0 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds last night. Due to the pain in my pulled muscle, all my other muscles got really tight too so now I ache all over with a nice sharp central pain where the pulled muscle is.

It's dark, rainy, cold, and miserable outside. I am exhausted beyond belief and my back still hurts every single second despite ibuprofen. I couldn't even try to work out at the gym, because there is nothing there that I felt like I could do.

It has STILL been a better day than my best day at work, and I am so glad that I am retired today and do not have to report to work. Other than that I can't think of anything nice about this cold, miserable Monday. :)

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about the pulled muscle - ouch!

We went to the gym yesterday, 2nd training day to learn how to used the equipment. I was worked! No soreness though so I guess they got the loading/times correct.

We also bought DW a new Honda Accord Sport. I am astonished at how well a 4-cylinder engine performs now. Them engineer guys (and gals) have been busy!

I pulled a muscle in my back over the weekend, and it hurts a lot so I slept 0 hours, 0 minutes, and 0 seconds last night. Due to the pain in my pulled muscle, all my other muscles got really tight too so now I ache all over with a nice sharp central pain where the pulled muscle is.

It's dark, rainy, cold, and miserable outside. I am exhausted beyond belief and my back still hurts every single second despite ibuprofen. I couldn't even try to work out at the gym, because there is nothing there that I felt like I could do.

It has STILL been a better day than my best day at work, and I am so glad that I am retired today and do not have to report to work. Other than that I can't think of anything nice about this cold, miserable Monday. :)
Bummer.

Previously someone mentioned Martini. Given the holidays maybe try a Passover Martini or two. Take gin, pass it over a bottle of vermouth, drink several glasses. By the time you wake up the muscles should have relaxed and the pain gone.:D

I had my usual morning workout at the Y and the usual breakfest while being charmed by the hostess withe mostest. A good start ot the Yukky day here in SW PA.

Last edited:
Thanks for the sympathies, all. I finally figured out that (despite the cold weather) icing it was a better idea than the heating pad. So, last night I was able to sleep, and after resting, taking ibuprofen, and icing repeatedly, I slept 11+ hours. This morning it still hurts but a lot less and I am on the mend.

I would try the gin, but I don't drink so if I did that, I would probably get completely blotto and pull another muscle somehow! :LOL:

I skipped the gym yesterday and slept right through WeightWatchers this morning. Oh well. Guess today is my vacation from my usual retirement activities.

Walt, if you are not sore then it sounds like your trainer did not ask you to do enough. Although a lot of soreness is not desirable, a little soreness that is gone in a couple days can be a good thing because it tells you that you have been doing something. I had the same experience with trainers at my gym, that they didn't ask me to do much at all. Once you can do what they tell you to do, you can always increase later on if you feel the need to do so. You are right about the new 4 cylinder engines. I got a 6 cylinder when I bought my Venza, and kind of wish I hadn't. It is overly powerful and I never need or use that much power.

Last edited:
Walt, if you are not sore then it sounds like your trainer did not ask you to do enough. Although a lot of soreness is not desirable, a little soreness that is gone in a couple days can be a good thing because it tells you that you have been doing something.

I have thought about that, but I'm just starting out and didn't want to "push the envelope" too hard right out of the gate for concern of injury. So for the next couple of weeks I'm going to stay where I am, right at the edge of soreness but not quite there. The gritty reality is that I'm 63 and I'm not going to be able to whip myself into shape like I could do in a few months 30 years ago. This is a years-long project and I'm willing to take the time to get there.

In another month or so I'll start pushing a bit harder to get to where I'm a bit sore the next day but not the day after.

First snowfall of the season last night. Not enough to seriously matter, but DW and I went out and had a snowball fight like little kids for about ten minutes.

Every day is good, but yesterday was REALY good. Went sking with my kids at Copper Mountain in Colorado. It was wonderful. I had to stop a couple hours early. My legs weren't in shape for a full day. Next year when I get moved out here I'm getting a season pass!

The bride and I took off a couple of days and went to Key West. Ahhhhhhhh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom