what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Skated, chatted with some "ice tourists", took a nap, lit a fire in the stove around 5 PM.

It is now 22F outside, 80 F inside. And goofing off. Tonight's low is scheduled to be around 16 F.

Picked up turkey from local farmer, and got invited to a Thanksgiving dinner.

As usual, began the day with the 104th annual running of Cincinnati's Thanksgiving Day Race.

Cold (20°F) at the starting line, but I managed my best 10K time since 2004 and that was a treat!

Happy Thanksgiving ! I have had my daughter,sil and two grandsons visiting this week . Today I am cooking the traditional meal . Time with my family priceless !

Attachments

• BTS1.jpg
    BTS1.jpg
    442.4 KB · Views: 21
Yesterday we went to dinner at a buffet restaurant with DW's newphew's in-laws and had a great time. The plates were HUGE, and there was enough room for everybody since they weren't trying to eke out ever nickel they could from every square inch of floor space. The place must be family-owned, in southern PA a few miles from the PA line. Food was terrific. I was impressed. When we left we were, as one BIL used to put it, "full as a tick".

We had the GPS set to take all the back roads since we're still in the break-in phase on DW's new car and that only added 20-25 minutes to what is normally a two-hour drive anyway. Beautiful country there.

Neither one of us ate breakfast this morning (not hungry) and headed off to the gym.

Hiked 5.6 miles, 900 feet elevation change, in Briones Regional Park here in the east bay. Found a new Meetup group that doesn't go 12 miles in 6 hours with 1500 feet elevation change. :nonono:

I love Meetup! You can find a hiking group just at the pace you like. :dance:

Yesterday, we had Thanksgiving dinner at my sister and brother-in-law's. It was lovely! I picked my Dad up from his assisted living place and brought him over. He ate well and seemed to enjoy being out although it was a lot for him.

It was also the first day of BIL's retirement! He's 66 and he has been an engineer at his Megacorp for about 35 years. He had a choice of a pension or a lump sum and he took the lump sum. He has plenty of investing experience and happily he has plenty to work with. He's one of the rare folks who loved his work, loved his company and almost hated to leave. He's been Financially Independent for many years and could have retired a while ago.

I asked him if he has any plans besides some upcoming travel and he told me he really wants to pay more attention to his investments. It sounds like he had a lot on auto for a while and he loves to read financial stuff so he wants to be more hands on.

I'm so happy for him and I hope he has many healthy and happy years as a retiree. My sister has been married to him for 15 years and she's hinted that financially, even she (a spendarina princess), couldn't spend it all in their lifetimes.

I'm so happy for him and for her.

image-3682475337.jpg

Went to Weight Watcher, made this WW sandwich....cream cheese, blue cheese & minced onions spread on a warm tortilla. Topped with arugula, turkey & cranberry sauce.

Took mom to William Dean Chocolates (chocolate and more) and then to Publix. Since her car sold this week, she can't get to the store on her own anymore. DH and I are available to take her as well as our 55+ apt complex van (multiple trips scheduled weekly to a wide variety of grocery stores) or a taxi.

William Dean Chocolates were in the first Hunger Games movie and their macaroons are in the new one. We are so lucky to have them in the neighborhood!

I have thought about that, but I'm just starting out and didn't want to "push the envelope" too hard right out of the gate for concern of injury. So for the next couple of weeks I'm going to stay where I am, right at the edge of soreness but not quite there. The gritty reality is that I'm 63 and I'm not going to be able to whip myself into shape like I could do in a few months 30 years ago. This is a years-long project and I'm willing to take the time to get there.

In another month or so I'll start pushing a bit harder to get to where I'm a bit sore the next day but not the day after.

If you are doing anything at all, you are way ahead of most...

Took mom to get her blood drawn to have results for doctor's appointment in 2 weeks and then out to breakfast and then a little shopping.

She has much more strength and stamina without smoking and after starting to take short (15 - 20 minute) walks twice a day. She's aging in reverse and it's amazing to watch! It makes me want to cry with joy and relief. Of course, much damage has been done and there will always be lingering effects and health risk, but she's a new woman. :dance:

She quit smoking 28 days ago. She's still wearing a Stage 2 patch but she is leaving it on longer than 24 hours or not replacing it right away to test life without nicotine after 60 years. She puffs intermittently on a Blu e-cig.

Am resting up for tomorrow, when it warms to the 50's.
Ten days ago, as a result of the tornadoes that hit Illinois, high winds broke off a huge tree limb from a 150 yr old black oak that hung over my place at the lake, 25 miles from here. How big? Well the limb that's now on the ground is about 10 inches in diameter, and I'll guess the whole limb weighs about 2 to 3 thousand pounds. It clipped the roof of the add a room, and splintered a 5 piece wooden table and chairs.
So tomorrow... big day... chain saw and several hours of trimming, stacking and burning the small branches. Looking forward to the fun. Also... maybe to rake some of the leaves that fell really late this year... while the park still makes the rounds with the super sucker, so I don't have to bag.
BTW... was absolutely amazed at the insurance estimate... Check due today.
:dance:

Ok...I'm gonna add a couple more :dance:

Been up since 8:30 this morning taking care of all kinds of household chores. Music has blaring away and I've been rockin' and rollin'. I've changed to very healthy food and an exercise (well dancing) program. I feel the burn....toning up baby!

:dance:

2 Hrs of figure skating, stopped at Goodwill found a Christmas themed Raggedy Ann doll for DW. Stooped for coffee. Got home did a car repair which was waiting for me since Saturday. Can't rush these things.

Flew in a powered hang glider over Cumberland Island. I was given some instructions and was then handed the controls. Woo Hoo! :dance: I've been wanting to do this for almost 40 years when I first heard about ultra light flying. Check another one off the bucket list. I may have to do this again though.

Cheers!

Got a second estimate on house air conditioning replacement today. I've read that this is the best time to buy AC, though the estimators swear they have the same prices year 'round. In any case, estimate #2 was $2600 for a mid level AC unit vs $3200 for a low level unit from company #1. Not bad, considering this is for brand name (Carrier / Lennox) units. I'll go for one more estimate next week. I did my own Manual J calculations and have had to fight to get quotes on a small enough unit to provide some humidity control.

A 13 SEER unit will double the efficiency of my circa 1972 unit and I only use AC a couple of weeks a year, so no fancy two stage technology for me.

Got the state inspection sticker on DW's new car (selling dealer is in MD so they couldn't do it) went to the gym with DW, a one-hour nap, and an hour and a half motorcycle ride. Sorta dozed through Walk the Line movie about Johnny Cash.

Later this morning get the inspection done on the motorcycle then park it in the garage until the nasty weather passes. We'll only get a fringe of the storm so "wintry mix" is forecast.

Got my third central air conditioning estimate and pulled the trigger on the best offer. This is a ridiculous time to have AC installed in Michigan, but they are not busy and I got a good price (I hope...).

• None of the three contractors (all top rated on Angie's list) did a proper Manual J calculation, only one even measured the house square footage.

• When I expressed interest in maximizing humidity control, two of three suggested a bigger evaporator coil, which is exactly backward.
I'll feel sorry for the installers working under the gaze of a retired engineer with nothing else to do. I already downloaded the installation manual and am reading up. :D

Balanced my portfolio yesterday. Also figured out that at the 6 month mark in retirement I am spending about 10k more per year than I planned. Oh well, I guess the kids will have to do with a little less when I am gone...

Got car inspection, wheel alignment and oil change. Normally I do oil changes, since it was slightly overdue, it was already in the shop, had the shop do that too. Less floor crawling. I consider it a hoilday splurge.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom