what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yesterday I installed some cabinets I made for a room off our home theater. Room is narrow so the cabinets are only 22" deep instead of the usual 24" depth. The face frames were made from some lumber I milled from a couple of oak trees that came down when we lived at our old house. Carcass sides were made from oak ply. I have about a 5' high stack of oak and finally used some of it, it worked well and very little problems even though it's been stacked outside for about 5 years. Slowly working through my stash of lumber from when I had a sawmill. I still have a good amount of cherry and walnut to use when the right project comes along. I'm happy with how they came out, first time making cabinets and I took a few shortcuts here and there and learned a lot for the next time. I used pocket screws for most of the construction and find I really like that approach for projects like this one. Small fridge is perfect size for the area but was too low so brought it up to countertop level. I used French cleats to hang the upper cabinets and it was really easy to get them level and situated before screwing them to the wall.

Hope to get the bar sink in place today and will use ceramic tile for the countertop- have some tile left from other projects that should work fine. Will also build a wine rack and place to hang some glasses in the area above the sink.

This time of the year, it's good to have a mix of inside and outside projects as you never know from day to day what the weather will bring.

012915cabinets%2B001-758192.jpg

Last edited:
Had a biopsy done today on a mole on my arm that has recently gotten bigger.

Ended up with 2 stitches that have to stay in for 2 weeks so no pickleball for the duration.

Oh well, better no pickleball for two weeks than skin cancer. Melanoma runs in the family so I check my skin religiously!

Let's see...it was a full home day for me and Mr B. We had 4 inches of fresh snow overnight, so I got my exercise shoveling the steps and cleaning off the cars.

Laundry, bonsai plant torture session >:D done to my 3 Granny Smith baby apple trees, planted a few San Marzano tomato seeds, got takeout fish fry dinners for 2, watched a movie on HBO on demand, and had blueberry pie for dessert.

I am now watching a National Geographic show "Hacking The System" about personal security and ID theft. Very interesting how a lot of people do not keep a close eye on their personal or electronic perimeter in an urban setting, w*rk, and/or at home. Granted the show host is an expert at this, but none of it is high level rocket science. I learned a few things.
Next up is "Survival Hacks". This is a cool show.

I am now watching a National Geographic show "Hacking The System" about personal security and ID theft. Very interesting how a lot of people do not keep a close eye on their personal or electronic perimeter in an urban setting, w*rk, and/or at home. Granted the show host is an expert at this, but none of it is high level rocket science. I learned a few things.
Next up is "Survival Hacks". This is a cool show.

Thanks for the tip, freebird! Just set this up to record on the replay later tonight.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Made nice breakfast for DH, this is his first birthday in years that I wasn't at work. This evening went out to dinner and brought 2/3 of the food home for future meals--yum! Stayed in today and did some decluttering. Goofed off--a lot!

Talked to my cousin tonight and decided to go to California for a few days, booked my trip. This will be my second trip to California in a month. When I get back I'm going to the second half of a flute festival that happens to be at the hotel where I will park my car while in California. Sooo perfect!

It snowed last night. I spent over 2 hours sweeping the floor of the house, the snow off the tarps that cover all the lumber piles and other places that shouldn't get too wet. Then it started snowing again. Sigh. Its time to go out and sweep some more snow.

I got my plow truck back yesterday. Unfortunately, it has a small leak in the part that was replaced. The rebuilder is shipping another unit and the mechanic let me take the truck because he knew it was supposed to snow this weekend. Its a good thing he let me take it. I was dropped off and it would have been a very long walk home.

Hermit, Is it a wet snow? If not, do you know you can use a leaf blower to remove snow quickly? Glad to hear your trucks back.

Hermit, Is it a wet snow? If not, do you know you can use a leaf blower to remove snow quickly? Glad to hear your trucks back.

I've used an air hose when it is thin and light. A leaf blower might work with more snow. Thanks for the tip.

The stuff this afternoon was a real mess. It is above 40 and everything was water and slush. I just swept it off as best I could. Got a lot of water dripping into the basement and on all the wood down there. I think I will need to get a squeegee and caulk all of the joints the next warm day. I'm about ready to start putting up the upper walls, so, hopefully, I won't have to contend with the weather as much soon.

I've used an air hose when it is thin and light. A leaf blower might work with more snow. Thanks for the tip.

I've used a leaf blower too with good results. Of course the snow has to be the light, dry, fluffy kind, not good for snowballs. Don't bother with wet or heavy snow.

I use the leaf blower as well. Probably got the idea here.

Snow removal - I drive south and let it melt naturally.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I guess it hasn't snowed here for about a decade. IIRC I usually stay inside and the sunshine melts it all away. :)

Tonight, I battled my way through a huge tangle of parade traffic in the French Quarter. The Krewe de Vieux parade had things at a complete standstill. It's so good to be home.

("There's no place like home!") OK, after that quote I need to add a photo of the Ruby Slippers.

Attachments

• slippers2.jpg
    slippers2.jpg
    10.8 KB · Views: 225
Last edited:
Another day in winter wonderland...my gardening buddy came up and helped me move some heavy Gorilla steel frame shelving units around the garage and then carried one lightweight PVC shelf unit upstairs into my growing room for seedling propagation in February. So good to have a guy buddy who will come over and help me do those type of things that could be a physical strain for Mr B. Why tempt fate ?

I can see that the tools in the garage need to be gone through. Some things I know that I or Mr B will never use will be sold very cheaply or given away to the maintenance guy at the Legion. My late husband was into doing a lot of DIY projects, none of which I will ever attempt.

Mr B made some favas and linguica stew for all of us for dinner, then we watched the movie "Ted" on cable. This was the uncut version...totally crude and hilarious. "Ted 2" is coming out this summer. I can't wait ! :LOL:

Winter storm warning for tomorrow with 7-10 inches forecast. Look out ! :cool:

Last edited:
We went to the other fine art museum in San Francisco today, the Legion of Honor, and took a walk along some trails nearby that overlooked the ocean. It was a pretty day - sunny and about 70 degrees.

We got in free with our NARM membership and packed snacks so it was a fun, cheap date.

Raked leaves, filled about 10 bags with them, trimmed trees, made a list of new Honey Do's, walked the dog 4 times (never tiring young one), took DD and BF out for pizza. Watched J.J. Watt get his award. Then the rain came. :(

Shoveled snow 15 hours after returning from Cozumel. Nature is cruel that way sometimes. Confirmed stupid COBRA company has indeed informed insurance co that all premiums were indeed paid right on time--grrr--so second cataract surgery can take place tomorrow but think it will need to be postponed. Hope not.

Heard there is a football game on TV tonight.

Had my chauffeur hat on yesterday and today.

Yesterday - did family laundry, took younger son to basketball game (he had an amazing game), drove older son to my sister's for math tutoring and then back to pick him up... then older son had to go to the first baseball practice of spring season. (Team rosters were announced Friday night - and the coaches are gung ho.)

Today - the boys had piano lessons, I'm about to drive younger son to his first baseball practice of the season, then an hour later drive older son to sisters to finish up the math tutoring (huge assignment that was "forgotten" for 2 weeks)... then an hour later pick up younger son, then an hour later pick up older son.... Fortunately - the baseball practice and my sister's house are only 1.5 miles away... But still, that's 12 miles of driving I would rather not do. Unfortunately, baseball catcher gear is to bulky for him to bike over, and there are a lot of math books involved in the tutoring.

then we'll eat junk food and watch the superbowl.

I also did Italian class homework and will work on taxes during the superbowl. (I think I have everything but the schwab taxable account - which won't be released for 2 more weeks.)

The food preparations are ongoing...I made deli sliced ham + cream cheese + green onion rollup appetizers. The chicken wings are defrosted and marinating all day in olive oil/granulated garlic and Frank's RedHot Original sauce in 2 different Ziploc bags.
My gardening buddy is bringing some of his very potent homegrown garlic to chop up and toss the garlic wings in along with some Asiago cheese after they are baked.
Wow are they gonna be good...:dance: I'll be oozing garlic fumes for days. :LOL:

I'm trying to decide if I want to drink boxed chillable red wine or Coors Lite today. Maybe I better try a sample of the wine first. ;)

Mr B is defrosting the stuff for a homemade pizza. Toppings will be pepperoni, homemade medium hot Italian sausage and sweet peppers.

To hell with the diet today. :D

Here is SE MI we are getting blasted with an all day, predicted 11 inch snow storm, so I've been clearing the subdivision road with my 4WD compact tractor. Last year I put a golf cart cab on it and this fall I added a small heater made from an automobile heater core. It is glorious plowing snow in a toasty cab.

Here is SE MI we are getting blasted with an all day, predicted 11 inch snow storm, so I've been clearing the subdivision road with my 4WD compact tractor. Last year I put a golf cart cab on it and this fall I added a small heater made from an automobile heater core. It is glorious plowing snow in a toasty cab.
Nice setup ! How much snow so far ?

I have the weather channel on with no sound. Chicago was getting blasted earlier today and now it's your turn.
Next up...Ohio, Pennsylvania, western NY and then some my way before Linus continues on and slams the coastal NE states.
We're supposed to get anywhere from 6 to 10 inches, with 100 % chance of snow over the region. Normal stuff. :D
My gardening buddy has arrived, so we 3 are hunkered down for the snowstorm and the SuperBowl. Plenty of food and beverages and light sources on hand. And...mwah ha haaa...I have a generator just in case.
We rarely lose power up here because the snow tends to be light and fluffy versus wet and heavy, and ice is rarely of any consequence to power lines.

Last edited:
Pot of chili is on the stove and rolls are getting ready to go in the oven. We will have a nice salad also. Doritos and chocolate candy for the junk food. Blue Moon in the frig for me and Diet Pepsi for DH.
DD and her DH came from working out and picked up their kids and left for family swim from 5-6pm and then we will eat when they get back. We will watch the game, but we are not too excited since the Steelers are not in it. Go Seahawks!

We went to see"American Sniper " . What a great movie ! Bradley Cooper did an excellent job ! One of our local theaters remodeled and now has stadium seating with recliners . They are so comfortable if it isn't an action movie I can see people dozing off .

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom