what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Today I go to the dentist...I have two molars that have been wobbling a bit due to moderate bone loss back in the 1980s when I had periodontal disease. I have been able to continue chewing carefully so as not to aggravate them.
But now one of them is very painful and needs to be fixed. I've been eating softer food for a few days now, hoping it would recover. No such luck.
It may be extraction, it may be a crown...argh. The outcome for the other molar is a tossup since it only bothers me once in a while.
I have a real fear of anything involving dentists, so I'm trying to get myself prepared for whatever ordeal lies ahead.
My dentist is a really nice guy and I trust him. I just cringe at the thought of sitting there.

End of whine. :LOL:

I knew of the Salton Sea and the Slab City in Niland, also on the shore of the lake, but not about Salton City until that thread.

The Internet map showed a layout of streets, and I thought that this was a developed city. Satellite photo reveals that not much housing has been built, and Google street view confirms it. Quite an interesting place! I was surprised too, to learn that there are geothermal plants in the area producing 180 MW total. Wow, heat from above as well as from under!

I drive by this area on either I-10 or I-8 all the time when visiting California, but never stop by to take a look. For my upcoming RV trip, I am planning to drive through and to visit another low spot in CA: Death Valley National Park. I was surprised to learn that many campgrounds there closed in mid or late April due to the heat. Imagine that, you snowbound people.

I'm sitting here with a bottle of Jack Daniels and a pistol on my desk.

OK, I lied about the Jack Daniels. I'm getting rid of "stuff" and trying to find a new home for the air guns I never use anymore. EBay and Craigslist won't let one advertise air guns. I need to find a good site to get rid of these old guns.

Skated in the morning. Blew away about 4 inches of global warming in the afternoon after a half hour of whiteout.

... I went to church this morning and then to the grocery store. Its my turn to do the meal for our Bible study group. I bought enough to fix beef stew for 12. I am used to cooking for one and calling it cooking is a stretch. I am pretty good at opening a can of Progresso soup or a frozen dinner and heating it in the microwave. My efforts this coming Tuesday should be interesting. I may add a comment after it is over...

The beef stew went over pretty good (at least everyone was kind enough to tell me it was good). The only trouble was I had enough to serve at least 20! There was plenty of leftovers, but that's much better than not enough. :) We also had carrot salad, green beans, fresh baked rolls and a nice desert. Others brought the carrot salad, bread, and desert. I ate too much...

We had a foggy morning here but by afternoon the sun was out. We took the dog and went hiking in the afternoon at a park with some pretty views and a working ranch. I put a crock pot meal on in the morning so that was ready when we got home for dinner. After dinner we watched a DVD from the library - Ender's Game. I give it a thumbs up, especially for an original script.

I'm sitting here with a bottle of Jack Daniels and a pistol on my desk.

OK, I lied about the Jack Daniels. I'm getting rid of "stuff" and trying to find a new home for the air guns I never use anymore. EBay and Craigslist won't let one advertise air guns. I need to find a good site to get rid of these old guns.

How about taking them to a local gun show?

Also, gunbroker.com is safe and reliable. I've used them for years, both as a buyer and a seller. They handle air guns as well as "real" guns. Basically just like eBay, except that when firearms are involved, there are extra considerations (like shipping/receiving through a local bricks & mortar dealer).

Went out in 7 degree weather (coldest I've ever seen it here in 20 years) and checked to see if the hose bibs were still dribbling (set them dribbling last night). Two were frozen :facepalm:. Only one was still dripping. I guess I should have gone with a higher flow rate.

How about taking them to a local gun show?

Also, gunbroker.com is safe and reliable. I've used them for years, both as a buyer and a seller. They handle air guns as well as "real" guns. Basically just like eBay, except that when firearms are involved, there are extra considerations (like shipping/receiving through a local bricks & mortar dealer).
Thanks I'll check it out. I also need to figure out the logistics of mailing. Apparently some just mail as sporting goods USPS.

If it involves going outside, we're not doing it. Too cold.

Later on I'll make some rice pilaf from scratch and chicken with BBQ sauce. I'll probably even cook the chicken inside rather than grill it out on the deck. No special recipe for the rice, just whatever I can find online that is simple.

I'm building a monster 4' x 8' table in my 42° workshop. Not bad considering the outside temp is 4°. I don't know how I'm going to get the table out of the garage. It's going to take a few of us to move it, and I'll have to clear a path to the driveway first. Unless it melts. That doesn't look likely.

We had computer outages all morning. IT is blaming the cold:confused:? I'm now working from home.

Used to be an airgun pistol was non mailable though the USPS, looks like they made some changes? (Lost revenue will cause that at times)

Policies, Procedures, and Forms Updates

432 Mailability
Apparently can mail USPS but need an adult signature. - PITA

c. Air guns that do not fall within the definition of firearm under 12.1.1a that are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable; but must include adult signa*ture service under 503.8.0. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.

I'm building a monster 4' x 8' table in my 42° workshop. Not bad considering the outside temp is 4°. I don't know how I'm going to get the table out of the garage. It's going to take a few of us to move it, and I'll have to clear a path to the driveway first. Unless it melts. That doesn't look likely.

Curious...what's the table for?

Apparently can mail USPS but need an adult signature. - PITA

Might check out Fex Ex or others. I know I shipped a Dan Wesson 1911 back for repair. I had to take it to a Fex Ex place properly packaged, don't recall what the return procedure was. I know I bought a CVA muzzle loader, don't think I was home to sign for delivery.

For selling, check out forums dedicated to air pistols, maybe even down to the brand. They generally have a sale/buy section, with info on proper controls for payment and legal transit.

Maybe high volume Lemonade Stand?

Made a starter batch of kombucha...my very first one (only a quart until I get a nice SCOBY).

We had a foggy morning here but by afternoon the sun was out. We took the dog and went hiking in the afternoon at a park with some pretty views and a working ranch. I put a crock pot meal on in the morning so that was ready when we got home for dinner. After dinner we watched a DVD from the library - Ender's Game. I give it a thumbs up, especially for an original script.
It was based on the first book of a big non sequential series of books.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom