what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I spent day 5 of recovery in the house. I did some laundry, cooked some chicken fricassee in the crockpot, surfed, watched TV with Mr B, and generally goofed off.
I was supposed to wash the inside of my windows, but my recliner kept me captive.
Oh, well, manana...manana...

:D

I was supposed to wash the inside of my windows, but my recliner kept me captive.

No big deal, that can wait 'til tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after that....:D

I was going to sign up for a 4 week fine art photography class today but noticed there is a discount for seniors. I'll be 65 shortly so I'll wait until then and register.:)

No big deal, that can wait 'til tomorrow, or the day after, or the day after that....:D

I was going to sign up for a 4 week fine art photography class today but noticed there is a discount for seniors. I'll be 65 shortly so I'll wait until then and register.:)
Thank you for the window pass. :flowers:

However, it was a gorgeous sunny day today, so I motivated myself to do the front picture window. I cleaned the sills, framing, the glass, vacuumed the floor and under the heater cover, and also the glass topped round table nearby. Then I got the vacuum going on the living room and kitchen floors.
Wore myself out, but it felt good to get up and move around and get something constructive done on a very cold but fabulously sunny day.

Not long until I can come out of winter hibernation and be outside in the yard and at the lake on my boat. :D

Had an appointment with pain management. In at 2:15 out ay 3:15, including a cervical epidural!

Amazing I have no idea why I was so afraid of the procedure. Had 2 in 2000, swore I'd never do another. In the end I actually said yep doc let's go ahead and do it now. Pain will make you do many things you swear you will not do.

Home now, don't feel as much pain and numbness. Hope this actually keeps working.

And fire up the Mustang!:police:
Oh yeah...vroom vroom...

I wait for 3 good solid rainstorms to wash the salt off the roads before I take my baby out. Temperature does not necessarily have to be shorts and Tshirt weather. I bundle up under a windbreaker and wear gloves, and run the heat full blast with the top down. I love the looks I get from people. :LOL:

Today I just hung out and watched the Mets almost win a game. It was not decided until the last out of the 9th inning. It was a great game to watch. :cool:

Dinner tonite is meatloaf and mashed potatoes with gravy. Yum yum yum.
Tomorrow is house breakout day. Wings and beer after my dentist appointment ! :dance:

Today was an interesting day for house building. Yesterday I put together a section of wall but it was too windy to stand it up. This morning I got it stood up and braced and was building the next section of wall. I started hearing the section I has stood up moaning and groaning so I thought I would put another brace across it that was attached to the floor. Just as I started to set up the brace, a major gust of wind came up and the whole corner of the wall came up off the floor about 6 or 8 inches. I stood on it and it set back down. Got it nailed down and got the brace installed. No harm, but I thought I might be on my way to Oz! :LOL: I got the next section built, but I will wait until Thursday to set it up.

Today was an interesting day for house building. Yesterday I put together a section of wall but it was too windy to stand it up. This morning I got it stood up and braced and was building the next section of wall. I started hearing the section I has stood up moaning and groaning so I thought I would put another brace across it that was attached to the floor. Just as I started to set up the brace, a major gust of wind came up and the whole corner of the wall came up off the floor about 6 or 8 inches. I stood on it and it set back down. Got it nailed down and got the brace installed. No harm, but I thought I might be on my way to Oz! :LOL: I got the next section built, but I will wait until Thursday to set it up.

Wow, watch yourself. You don't want any injuries.

Wings and beer after my dentist appointment ! :dance:

MORE dental work? Man oh man, when it rains it pours. You have really had a LOT of dental work this spring. :( I hope you are done with most of it pretty soon.

I'm feeling especially sympathetic, because I have a root canal next week. Still, with modern improvements in root canal technology and procedures, that should be a breeze compared with all that you have been through lately with so much major dental work. (IIRC).

Last edited:
I stockpiled frozen foods and nonperishables from the the local Fresh and Easy stores closing. Just about everything was 50% off, even the entire stock of wine and beer.

Wow, great buy!

I was pretty happy! I bought $1K worth of groceries, wine and beer for $500. I think 50% off our own personal grocery futures makes a better return than an I bond these days. When one of the kids comes home for spring break he is going to have to sleep between jars of pasta sauce, pasta and wine bottles because I'm stockpiling all the nonperishables in his bedroom. :)

I don't think he will complain though because I bought half of it for him to take home with him. I bought so much I got $5 in bonus points which meant another $10 worth of free beer today. :)

Last edited:
Yesterday our Bible study group made my stew for Wednesday night services at the church. It was pretty easy, but there were some tense moments. I brought the meat and spices which I picked up at the grocery store with the meat already cut up. Another guy brought the potatoes, carrots, and onions which he had already cut up. So all we had to do was throw them in a big roaster pot and let them cook for the afternoon. The problem was we had a major snow storm and the guy with the veggies was about an hour and a half late. I went out to look for him because the roads were real slick and he does not have 4wd. He made it shortly after I went out and all was good. Everyone enjoyed the stew along with salad, bread, and desert. This was the first time I had cooked for a group since we moved to Virginia about 14 years ago. The late DW did all the cooking for the church before that and I was her chief helper. (In other words the dish washer)

I am back from the high-elevation home. I still need to clean up a few things in the main home before hitting the road in the RV in a few weeks.

Down in the low desert, temperature will be in the 90s this weekend. I would not mind a snowstorm to delay the arrival of summer. I would not mind making a stew either, which I would not want to eat sitting under a ceiling fan going full speed.

I am back from the high-elevation home. I still need to clean up a few things in the main home before hitting the road in the RV in a few weeks.

Down in the low desert, temperature will be in the 90s this weekend. I would not mind a snowstorm to delay the arrival of summer. I would not mind making a stew either, which I would not want to eat sitting under a ceiling fan going full speed.

Looking at a snowstorm out my window right now--stew is a great idea!

MORE dental work? Man oh man, when it rains it pours. You have really had a LOT of dental work this spring. :( I hope you are done with most of it pretty soon.

I'm feeling especially sympathetic, because I have a root canal next week. Still, with modern improvements in root canal technology and procedures, that should be a breeze compared with all that you have been through lately with so much major dental work. (IIRC).
I had 1 extraction on March 5, then 2 more on March 17. All molars that were wobbling and giving me bite problems. It's been a fun month...NOT !

The good news is I went on the 25th for a routine cleaning, followup inspection of the multiple extractions, and got the pre-approval process going for flexible partial denture appliances. I have a Delta Dental insurance policy thru AARP. Not sure how much they will cover, but anything is something. My annual max benefit is $1500.
I have to wait a month for my extraction sites to reach a steady state, then I go for a mouth impression session. I'm taking it all in stride with a positive attitude (except the few days after the extractions :().

Hope your root canal went ok.

I had 1 extraction on March 5, then 2 more on March 17. All molars that were wobbling and giving me bite problems. It's been a fun month...NOT !

The good news is I went on the 25th for a routine cleaning, followup inspection of the multiple extractions, and got the pre-approval process going for flexible partial denture appliances. I have a Delta Dental insurance policy thru AARP. Not sure how much they will cover, but anything is something. My annual max benefit is $1500.
I have to wait a month for my extraction sites to reach a steady state, then I go for a mouth impression session. I'm taking it all in stride with a positive attitude (except the few days after the extractions :().

Hope your root canal went ok.
Sounds like you are seeing the light at the end of the tunnel, at last! Good. :dance: Those extractions sound awful and I doubt anybody could have maintained a positive attitude right after having all that done.

My root canal is next Thursday. My dentist already prepared me for the possibility that i might have to have another dental implant, if it doesn't work. Ugh. That tooth has had a gold cap on it since 1969 so I understand his uncertainty in opening that Pandora's box. I just want it over with so I can go on with life. I'm sure you can relate! :LOL:

Spring cleaning commences...last week I did the front picture window.

Today was the microwave/convection oven's turn.

I removed the front grill covering the internal fan, and cleaned the interior and mini metal filters using 409 and a stiff brush. I used a small screwdriver to get in between the grill louvres. The greasy gunk was stubborn but no match for me on a mission. :bat:
I also cleaned the wood cabinets above the stove with Orange Glo wood cleaner. More grimy gunk. :nonono:

Mr B loves his little deep fryer, but I have declared a moratorium on deep frying indoors. I'll set him up outdoors on the open air deck with a plastic drop cloth next time he wants to make homemade steak fries. Or just convince him to buy premade frozen steak fries that can be heated up in the oven.

Next victim of my spring cleaning is TBD...

I stockpiled frozen foods and nonperishables from the the local Fresh and Easy stores closing. Just about everything was 50% off, even the entire stock of wine and beer.
My wife just came back from the local Fresh-n-Easy. She was late, and the stuff was mostly gone. No booze left, she said. Still, she managed to buy $135 worth, and paid $35 with a mixture of 50% and 75% off.

... Mr B loves his little deep fryer, but I have declared a moratorium on deep frying indoors. I'll set him up outdoors on the open air deck with a plastic drop cloth next time he wants to make homemade steak fries. Or just convince him to buy premade frozen steak fries that can be heated up in the oven...
We stopped frying food inside the home long ago. Out in the covered patio in the back, I have installed a counter with an electric cooktop and a sink. And in the open, I have a freestanding gas burner where I can stir-fry and brown meats with abandon. The gravel around the foot of the burner is coated with grease. Imagine all that gunk inside the home!

...We stopped frying food inside the home long ago. Out in the covered patio in the back, I have installed a counter with an electric cooktop and a sink. And in the open, I have a freestanding gas burner where I can stir-fry and brown meats with abandon. The gravel around the foot of the burner is coated with grease. Imagine all that gunk inside the home!

He's still pouting, but when I explained it took me 2 hours to degrease the small oven/microwave unit and it's interior and the wood cabinets, and gave him "the look" :cool:...he realized the mess was not worth it.

I'll come up with something he can use safely out in the covered walkway that goes around the outside of the enclosed porch. I like the gravel idea. I might use sand instead in a low profile basin under where he will be frying out there. Already designing it in my head, with standard COTS components.
I need a waist high stable metal plant stand with a top large enough to hold the mini deep fryer and a sand filled flat metal pan to place under to catch any oil drips or spatters. Outdoor power outlets are already there.

He'll be happy, I'll be happy. :D

My wife just came back from the local Fresh-n-Easy. She was late, and the stuff was mostly gone. No booze left, she said. Still, she managed to buy $135 worth, and paid $35 with a mixture of 50% and 75% off.

Good for her. I am glad she found some bargains.

So far, just watching the snow fall all day. Happy Spring indeed.

So far, just watching the snow fall all day. Happy Spring indeed.

I feel bad for ya. It's almost cold enough to snow here but thankfully mostly clear.

Dreaming of warmer weather I looked at R/C boats online, which I've never run before. I'm thinking about this one, a model of an offshore racing boat. The video shows impressive performance that used to cost serious money (for an R/C boat). Anything bigger/faster would be oversize for the creek nearby. It even self-rights using motor torque if it overturns in the water! That is shown at 1:00 in the video.

Oh, and we got a letter from the bank that they lost a deposit for $800. Great - I'll be there early Monday!

Th RC boats look like salmons swimming up the creek, diving under the surface at times!

The temperature here is 95F right now. Early in the morning when we went for a walk around the neighborhood, it was a nice cool 60F. It heats up so fast because the sky is perfectly clear, with no hint of humidity.

In our upcoming RV trip, we will visit Death Valley for the 1st time. My wife just asks me if that is a right thing to do. The main campground there is called Furnace Creek. The temperature there is 97F currently. It has the dubious honor of having the 2nd hottest temperature record on earth, at 134F. The hottest temperature on earth was recorded in Libya at 136F, but who cares about a mere 2F difference? Either one would be enough to cook steak to near medium.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom