what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you HAVE to be awake for cataract surgery? ��

Normally you are, so that you can move your eyes in the directions dictated by the surgeon, I guess to help him position the intraocular lens properly.

But honestly (and I say this as the most terrified cataract patient that ever lived), it is no big deal. They give you a light anesthesia (Versed, in my case), that just totally removes nervousness and calms you to an unbelievable extent. It's like you are a log just lying there. You are super spaced out, but you can still follow directions. I think the directions were something like "look at the light and follow it while it moves" or something along those lines, because I was too spaced out to figure out right vs left. The whole surgery only takes 7 minutes on average.

Of course, in my case I was not uncomfortable. It probably would have seemed much longer if I was.

Last edited:
Normally you are, so that you can move your eyes in the directions dictated by the surgeon, I guess to help him position the intraocular lens properly.

But honestly (and I say this as the most terrified cataract patient that ever lived), it is no big deal. They give you a light anesthesia (Versed, in my case), that just totally removes nervousness and calms you to an unbelievable extent. It's like you are a log just lying there. You are super spaced out, but you can still follow directions. I think the directions were something like "look at the light and follow it while it moves" or something along those lines, because I was too spaced out to figure out right vs left. The whole surgery only takes 7 minutes on average.

Of course, in my case I was not uncomfortable. It probably would have seemed much longer if I was.

Thanks, W2R.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Did a costco run. Got out of there cheap today because I didn't buy a lot of meat or booze. (Did have 2 organic chickens in there, though...)

Scheduled my ta-ta procedure. I'll have it done on 12/31... just in time to be on this year's deductible. No New Year's Eve plans -so not a big deal. I'm even allowed to drive home since it's all local anesthesia.

Made rough plans for the antique drafting table I'm going to build. Then made a pattern for the metal parts and reviewed it with a metal fabricator. Metal will be done in 2 days, and I'll be ready to start.

Spent 3 hours sitting in the IRS office. I wanted to May a payment on a notice I received for a trust I am trustee of, and I was searched and wanted, then sat for 2+ hours until they gave out numbers. Then another hour waiting for my number to be called. What a nightmare, about 30 people (plus another 10-15 turned away 3 hours BEFORE posted closing) served each waiting 2-3 hours. Only one person working (except for the 4 security guards!). If a second person was there, everyone could have been served and no one turned away! Our gubment at work!

Have the day you deserve, and let Karma sort it out.

......... If a second person was there, everyone could have been served and no one turned away! Our gubment at work!...............
Didn't Congress recently cut back funding for the IRS?

DW was out doing some shopping for the better part of the day, so I thought I'd make supper when she called to let me know she was on her way home. Venison tenderloins, breaded and in a gravy sauce with mushrooms and onions and a side of baby carrots. Delicious!

That sounds delicious! I'm on for dinner tomorrow night and you've got me thinking.

Twenty four hour post op eye exam. Doc says eye looks as expected for post op, little dry and minor inflammation. Tested 20/20 combined, reading eye was able to read the next to smallest text on their sheet.

Pretty happy now, in a week hoping for ecstatic. It's amazing, to me anyway, that our brains can adjust to mono vision and still have perphial vision too. I've been considered legally blind(uncorrected) for 50 years, not wearing glasses and seeing is strange!

Twenty four hour post op eye exam. Doc says eye looks as expected for post op, little dry and minor inflammation. Tested 20/20 combined, reading eye was able to read the next to smallest text on their sheet.

Pretty happy now, in a week hoping for ecstatic. It's amazing, to me anyway, that our brains can adjust to mono vision and still have perphial vision too. I've been considered legally blind(uncorrected) for 50 years, not wearing glasses and seeing is strange!
Good news indeed!

Wow!!! Congratulations! Your vision is terrific. I am so happy for you! What a great improvement good vision can make in quality of life.

I'm happy with mine, too. After 6 weeks I finally came out with 20/25 in each eye separately, and 20/20 with both together. I use readers for reading, but for some reason I like this arrangement.

I agree about how strange it is to see without glasses. Just before getting into bed every night, I reach up for my glasses to take them off.... and nothing is there. I am just amazed at what I can see without glasses. I love driving on sunny days with my new oh-so-cool nonprescription Ray-Ban sunglasses. The lens quality is amazing.

Me and the pooch drove down to the beach for our daily sunrise beach walk to find the beach missing. (See pic below). High tide, combined with sunrise, combined with an offshore storm created a king tide. Part of the parking lot was flooded. I walked the dog on surface streets up to the pier and went down on the beach there... only to be trapped by a wave coming up to the sea wall there at Scripps. Oh well... my tennies dried out nicely in the sun today.

The picture shows a wave breaching the boardwalk/sea wall. The houses further north had waves up to their sea walls - very unusual. (High tide usually still has 10-15 feet of dry beach.)

The waves were huge - I saw several that were more than 10feet.

Other than my wet adventure this morning - I cleaned out younger son's drawers for all the too small stuff and dropped two HUGE boxes at the Salvation Army. Since he's now a teenager he's now in charge of his own laundry... so at least he'll be starting with organized drawers.

Attachments

• IMG_20151208_062951.jpg
    IMG_20151208_062951.jpg
    439.2 KB · Views: 22
Spent 3 hours sitting in the IRS office.
Spent more time than that dealing with the Social Security office today. Couldn't get my local office to answer the phone after days of trying. Just sat in phone queue hell and I would either give up after an hour or get disconnected. A few times I was transferred to another office but they couldn't help. Soooo, I drove in (over an hour away). Sat in the waiting room this time for ~90 minutes before my number came up. Spent less than 10 minutes with the agent resolving the problem that they created. Total time today, driving, waiting, etc, getting them to correct a simple error (that they made) was about 4 hours...

Funny, I never had any problems dealing with the SSA for the 40+ years they were taking money out of every check I ever earn. Now that's it's time for them to pay back what they took, it seems to be a different story. I don't need the money (but I earned it) and I intend to fight them for every nickel.

Last edited:
Spent more time than that dealing with the Social Security office today. Couldn't get my local office to answer the phone after days of trying. Just sat in phone queue hell and I would give up after an hour or get disconnected. A few times I was transferred to another office but they couldn't help. Soooo, I drove in (over an hour away). Sat in the waiting room this time for ~90 minutes before my number came up. Spent less than 10 minutes with the agent resolving the problem that they created. Total time today, driving, waiting, etc, getting them to correct a simple error (that they made) was about 4 hours...

Makes me glad I live five minutes from my local social security office, though it'll be a few years before I need them.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

Makes me glad I live five minutes from my local social security office, though it'll be a few years before I need them.

Look at this way, it will give you something to do in your spare time during retirement. :LOL:

Look at this way, it will give you something to do in your spare time during retirement. :LOL:

Closing in on three years retired. Hasn't been a problem yet finding things to do. But by then DW will be retired, so maybe I'll be looking for more things to get me out if the house....wait...I didn't say that!

Walked 4 miles round trip to the movie theater for a $5 movie, $2 popcorn and free soda...Tuesday special...on the way back stopped by Target, picked up some fun items for the white elephant exchange and the remaining things I needed to finish 2 "really ugly" sweaters.

Went to Costco to return a pair of gloves I had purchased as a Christmas gift for D1. They were a perfect gift for her, and I know it because she had DH buy them when they were at the store last weekend. She came home and said "here, wrap these and put them under the tree. Dad bought me a gift".

A woman in front of me in the return line was returning a dead potted mum. Costco accepted the return, no problem. Silly me...my mums were dead, and I put them in the trash!

Walked 4 miles round trip to the movie theater for a $5 movie, $2 popcorn and free soda...Tuesday special...on the way back stopped by Target, picked up some fun items for the white elephant exchange and the remaining things I needed to finish 2 "really ugly" sweaters.

Last time I walked to a movie that I can remember was when I was 7. I think the total price was closer to 25 cents. Weekday afternoon special for kids out of school for the summer.

Angel Flight

I flew a cancer patient and his caregiver from UCLA up to his home in Santa Barbara. By plane it took less than an hour, as opposed to at least 2 hours by car and the additional stress.
I enjoy doing this to help others.

Very nice.

DW and I noticed that the seafood joint across the street was having an AUCE shrimp special, so that was dinner. Our next door neighbor, a nice kid (mid 20s) was waiting tables there. He wasn't our waiter, but it wasn't too busy so we talked some. I knew he was graduating college soon. Turns out it's this Sat. Along with going to school, he has a pool cleaning business, works at the restaurant, and does a third occasional job as a wine server at a local boutique owned by a friend of ours. probably why we don't see him too often.

Turns out he's paid his own way through college, although it's taken him 5 1/2 years as opposed to 4. I didn't know anybody did (or even could do) that anymore. I did, but that was almost 40 years ago. He had a small scholarship, but not a penny in loans. The rest was on his own dime. I am truly impressed. Plus, he's got a tremendous positive attitude and seems like a genuinely nice guy.

He's going to continue busting his hump for the next year, saving as much as he can, before moving away and starting his life and adventures. We may do some kayaking together, although I'm not sure I can keep up with him. And if I can find something to hire him for I'll try to add to his stash. It makes me feel good that there are still people out there willing to take responsibility and make things happen for themselves. I was starting to thing we had devolved into a country of prima donnas, worried about micro-aggressions and looking for a free ride for everything. Hooray!

Last night: Get on your 80s, Big Bam Boom, Rock 'n Soul. Hall & Oates!

All the tunes you know, including the final encore - Jingle Bell Rock! :D

I flew a cancer patient and his caregiver from UCLA up to his home in Santa Barbara. By plane it took less than an hour, as opposed to at least 2 hours by car and the additional stress.
I enjoy doing this to help others.

That's pretty cool.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom