what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had a pretty good day today. Portfolio stayed flat even though the market was down. Yes, I do own some stocks.;)
Now, time for a much needed med.:)
Argh!!! I am down 0.46%. This emoticon is now mine! :banghead:
You don't need med. I do!
Never mind, your med is too diluted for me. Mine is 80 proof!

I am only down 0.28% since yesterday. Barely perceptible! I'm happy as can be, and I am still up 2.04% since February 1st. :)

Life is good, and retirement is still sheer bliss. When is the honeymoon period over anyway? I'm working on month 7.

Trumpeter swans at wildlife refuge in northern Minnesota. Nice birding day but too many woodticks.

068.JPG

Painted. More precisley primed. It will be good when it is all done. Making some progress on my do list.

I seem to be the family go-to guy for home electronics. In a challenge to replace a dead videotape machine at the father-in-laws place, I found that it's getting really hard to find electronics that put out a picture on analog channel 3. Yup, that's how his TV was set up, with a tree of A/B switches and a stack of electronics all putting out signals on channel 3.

So, today I went shopping for a TV set made in this century for him. I found a nice one for cheap at a local big box store, with all the right modern inputs. Now I just need to convince him to part with some of the less-used peripherals. Betamax VCR, anyone?

Sometime in the next few days I expect to be rewiring his home entertainment system...

I would love a little boat like that. What did it/she cost, and how much to maintain? Is it necessary to have a tow-ready vehicle?

I bought a similar model (Sea Ray 175 BR) in '95 for $8500 from my credit union's repo lot. Dry weight is 2100lbs., so fairly easy to pull.

The guy I bought the RV from was also selling a boat, which was more than 10 years old, but in really good shape. The clock on the inboard engine read 100 hrs. It was kept under cover hence the seats were in good shape. It seated 8.

He offered me a heck of a deal if I bought both, and towed away the boat with the RV. Never owning a boat in my life, DW and I were really, really tempted. We refused, because we were not sure if the RV would fit in my driveway, leave alone an additional boat. The next day, as we picked up the RV, he said he already sold it for $800 more than what he offered me.

The problem with owning a boat in AZ is that the lakes here are not appealing to me. If I were up in the Puget Sound, that would be the first thing I bought.

Played golf this morning and had a decent day. Rained this afternoon so have been indoors watching stock market crap. Portfolio down .68% today.:mad:

Played golf this morning and had a decent day. Rained this afternoon so have been indoors watching stock market crap. Portfolio down .68% today.:mad:

This took my portfolio back to February 12th. :yuk: Here we go again.

Last night was the last night of my four-week Photoshop Elements class for editing photographs. Pretty cool software.

I went for a bike ride this morning for a couple of hours while DW got herself in gear prepared to go out. Then we went to a restaurant for lunch, then walked around historic Harper's Ferry for a while. DW bought a couple of nice ceramic thingies - a bowl and a ring holder. Came back home and I mowed the grass, and as I write, marinated chicken is cooking on the grille. The weather was perfect.

Attachments

• Harpers Ferry 027.JPG
    Harpers Ferry 027.JPG
    493.2 KB · Views: 2
  • Harpers Ferry 006.JPG
    Harpers Ferry 006.JPG
    614.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Harpers Ferry 083.JPG
    Harpers Ferry 083.JPG
    221.6 KB · Views: 3
made an offer on a house buried in the dirt. may become a cave dweller.

in other news, had a panicked call from a tenant with a mystery buzzing noise from the light in her bathroom. got my immediate attention, VERY strange noise that I couldn't locate for a while, till I finally found it buzzing away on the top metal shelf inside her medicine cabinet. cordless toothbrush. much better than wiring sizzling away....

Didn't sleep much last night as DH is gone, but got up early. After a while, I got the sleepies and went back to bed. Not long after, I woke up to the sound of thunder.

Watched the rain in my jammies and finally got dressed around 4. Nodded off and on in the recliner with a cat in my lap.

At 9 tonight, I baked a chocolate cake. I'm not gonna touch it...:nonono:

;)

Painted ceilings - about 1/3 of my house. Tomorrow I can do the walls. I'm getting quite an arm & shoulder workout with all this plus the added bonus of new decorative spots on me!

...............finally found it buzzing away on the top metal shelf inside her medicine cabinet. cordless toothbrush. much better than wiring sizzling away....

At least it wasn't a vibrator. :whistle:

Ut-oh Gotta start some serious apartment/condo looking. Our landlords sold their house, so we will probably have to vacate our little garage apartment.

Seems like the Austin housing market is alive and well. By the second day on the market they had two offers on the house, one full price ($1,150,000), cash.:blink:

Still on the planet

We've had a run of gorgeous weather here, so Miss Freebird is out in the sun and having fun! :D
Let's call this a fair weather induced sabbatical. :cool:
I will be checking in here and there. :greetings10:

Had a very efficient day of garage sale-ing and errand running. Got two things that I've been after for a while (a physician's scale ($5) and a Dremel tool ($10)).

My iPod's Garage sale application did its job, the Reqall shopping list app worked well, and I got all my tasks completed. I even read a book on the iPod while waiting for lunch.

PhysicansScale.jpg

Cruised the farmer's market, bought tomato & basil plants, bought coffee, met up with my friend, strolled downtown, shopped the shoe store, ate some gelato, returned to the farmer's market to get some chicken tamales for tonight's dinner, took the dog for a walk, finished a watercolor painting, did some web surfing, quiet evening at home. LOVELY DAY!

We've had a run of gorgeous weather here, so Miss Freebird is out in the sun and having fun! :D
Let's call this a fair weather induced sabbatical. :cool:
I will be checking in here and there. :greetings10:

Ditto! I've been spending almost all of my time outdoors, enjoying the nice weather, and getting a bunch of gardening and planting done! I've only been getting online long enough to check email, facebook, ebay, and read the local newspapers.....then it's either back outside or off to bed depending on what time it is. Now it's about 11pm, so now it's off-line and off to the pillows!

Went to my mom's today for lunch. We had bbq pork, potato salad, black eyed peas and green beans. Oh yes, with tea and corn bread. I'm a southern boy you know.;)

Took the mutt out in the country today for some practice with my new Nikon camera. I'm sure your tired of mutt pictures, but it's the best subject I have right now. Maybe some wild life pics in the future. Damn it was hot out there.:(

img_939561_0_d0aa8102f4833ee673114d8407b0164a.jpg

img_939561_1_4daeaa485d2d83dfea94b1dd3c6a1115.jpg

img_939561_2_f3b9c626642ab4d33a03d9b78f742107.jpg

Had a quiet morning disturbed by the piercing sound of an alarm going off somewhere in the house. Sounded like a smoke alarm only somewhat muted. Finally traced it to a water alarm I had placed in the water heater drip pan. Yep, it is leaking, time for another replacement - this one, like the first, lasted only six years (I think I see a pattern developing...). Our well water is very tough on pipes and fixtures, and murder on water heaters.

We went to lunch and then swung by HD to pick up a replacement. I'm draining the old one but there is obviously so much gunk in it the water will only trickle out very slowly. It will have to drain overnight before I can remove it.

We'll probably have to fire up the motor home for a shower in the morning. Nice to have an alternative.

EDIT: As I was posting the above the old wh started draining much faster. It is now two hours later and the old wh is out and the new one installed and heating water. DW is a happy(ier) camper. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom