what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
4 days in Orlando, 3 days in Tampa to visit 2 former colleagues BEFORE the summer heat gets too bad.

Sorry, but I think you're too late. The high temp is over 90 every day in the 10-day forcast with "low" temps not going below 77. Hope you have a good time any way:greetings10:

After w*rk I had a very pleasant evening. Got my hair cut & coloured. While waiting for the colour to set my hairdresser let me play with her new iPad (she trusts me!). Then off to The Body Shop at the mall. They are introducing several new product lines and all my favourite stuff was on sale! With my accumulated points, I got almost 40% off. Yippee!

The Apple store faces The Body Shop and I just couldn't resist going in. It was already quite late and the crowd was thinning, so I got an excellent tutorial from the (very young) sales agent and tested everything I hadn't tried at the hair salon. Specifically, I made a spreadsheet and emailed it to myself. Well, now I'm home, and I can tell you, no, you can't open an Apple spreadsheet on MS Excel; the title is there, but the figures are gone. There are many things I do that it just can't cope with, including sharing memory sticks. But I do love the book reader app!

After an evening of fun with the iPad I now know that if I ever buy one it will be strictly for pleasure. And as of today I am just too damn LBYM to indulge.

:LOL:

If you get a chance, try beet greens. They taste like chard.
Yes indeed, they do. That's cuz chard is a beet. :)

I didn't do much today. Just a little laundry & dishes, made the cat's food & drew up my ailing cat's prednisone. Thought about how I'm going to fix a thing or two around the house but didn't do much of anything.

If you get a chance, try beet greens. They taste like chard.

Khan, Happy2BRetired - do either of you do any gardening? I have to tell you that I have found chard to be one of the most foolproof veggies I grow. And it grows well throughout most of the year, all but the coldest part of winter. If you're at all inclined, buy a packet of seeds and throw them into some corner of your yard. You might be surprised with fresh homegrown swiss chard!

Khan, Happy2BRetired - do either of you do any gardening? I have to tell you that I have found chard to be one of the most foolproof veggies I grow. And it grows well throughout most of the year, all but the coldest part of winter. If you're at all inclined, buy a packet of seeds and throw them into some corner of your yard. You might be surprised with fresh homegrown swiss chard!

I have a share cropper agreement with my neighbor; he tills and plants my back yard and we both eat the results.

Yesterday's weather was almost perfect - a tad warm at 90 F - so I was outside as much as possible. A grocery run during which I bought a lot of junk food (Doritos, large pepperoni, hot cheese) which I rarely do but since the scale showed I dropped to 144 lbs I figured I could afford the caloric indulgence.

Since the tall grass was still wet from rain there was nothing else to do but go for a two-hour motorcycle ride, came back and mowed the lawn. Ate a junk food lunch and went out for another three-hour motorcycle ride, getting back at dusk.

DW was babysitting a 4-year-old and a 7-month-old for a nephew whose sitter had some emergency and couldn't come.

And we had the now-standard conversational ritual when she's away overnight:

Her: "How are you doing?"

Me: "I'm cold and lonely."

Her: "You'd better be!"

I mostly grow flowers but I do have a very small patch of vegetables this year. I'm glad to know that about chard. I might try planting some at some point. Sounds like a good vegetable to have during the cooler months. I'm really trying to eat lots of green leafy vegetables these days.

Had to get up at 4 a.m. today to get ready to dance with my local dance fitness class on the morning news show LIVE! (we danced various times from 5:30 to 7). So much fun! Glad I have today off to chill out and nap whenever I need to. :)

Spent the week working on the new house, helped with pouring the concrete basement floor on Wednesday, not sure what I was thinking when I volunteered, lol. The concrete was moved from the door using man powered Georgia Buggies and I was assigned to one of these. A great workout but by 2 pm, had to take a nap to recover.

Here's a link to the blog about the house build as some have said they were following it.

Romney West Virginia Log House Build

I mostly grow flowers but I do have a very small patch of vegetables this year. I'm glad to know that about chard. I might try planting some at some point. Sounds like a good vegetable to have during the cooler months. I'm really trying to eat lots of green leafy vegetables these days.
Plant rainbow chard. It is so pretty it can go in the flower garden with its deep green leaves & red & yellow stems & veins. I've had it last thru the summer tho it does taste better when it isn't too hot.

Had to get up at 4 a.m. today to get ready to dance with my local dance fitness class on the morning news show LIVE! (we danced various times from 5:30 to 7). So much fun! Glad I have today off to chill out and nap whenever I need to. :)
Hey...we have a celebrity on our forum! :clap:

(now what is this 4 a.m. you speak of? :blink:)

Still moving, and yeowee, did we ever step into a hornet's nest!

We have rented a condo in a "failed" apartment to condo conversion. We are renting from an individual who purchased two units during the bankruptcy, finished the upgrades himself, and is renting them. The conversions included adding washer/dryer connections, but the developer went bust before the 220v outlets were installed in our unit.

In our naive and pollyanna-ish fashion, we contacted the HOA president and the management company to find out how to go about getting a 220v outlet put in. We figured that if it didn't cost too much, we would offer to pay for the upgrade ourselves, but we wanted to get some info first. The rent is low enough that we figured that we might be able to pay for the upgrade and still come out OK over the course of the lease compared to other rentals in the area. Our landlord is fine with that (hey, he would be getting an improvement for free).

He HOA president called us back in a rage wanting to know how we got his number, and to inform us that we were not to contact him directly. I think he then called our landlord and gave him an @ss chewing also. The management company sent us a snippy letter to the same effect.

Gee willikers. We know that some folks in the complex have done just this upgrade, and we were just trying to find out how much it might cost, what folks experience had been, and what the approval process was. We weren't expecting to have the riot act read to us. What a welcome and introduction!

Seems like having purchased condos at the top of the bubble then seeing their values plummet has pushed folks over the edge.

Here are the property tax records for our 2 bedroom unit

2007 - $80,000 (probably the sales price of the whole complex allocated by square foot)
2008 - $280,000 (the price that converted units were selling for)
2009 - $130,000 (what our landlord paid)

current asking price for similar units: $180,000

Can we say volatility?

Was going to run errands today; screw it. Will stay home & cook. Errands tomorrow.

Sorry, but I think you're too late. The high temp is over 90 every day in the 10-day forecast with "low" temps not going below 77. Hope you have a good time any way:greetings10:

Boy, aren't you the kill joy. :LOL:

Of course she is going to have a great time!

Was going to run errands today; screw it. Will stay home & cook. Errands tomorrow.

Uh oh. That means running errands on a Saturday, when all the w*rking folks are out and about. :nonono:

Funny how I used to love the weekends, and now I find them a little bit annoying. :D

Errands tomorrow....but tomorrow is Saturday! :eek:.....:D

ooops, didn't see ksr's post....oh well...:LOL:

Last edited:
Sorry, but I think you're too late. The high temp is over 90 every day in the 10-day forcast with "low" temps not going below 77. Hope you have a good time any way:greetings10:

Boy, aren't you the kill joy. :LOL:

Of course she is going to have a great time!
That's why people like me developed air conditioning. :cool:

This going to FL is starting to really grow on me. ;)

Did my errands today...no Satudays for me. Went to the credit union to cash a nice little rebate check from State Farm. Had a new battery installed in my watch. Went to the frozen yogurt place and had strawberry kiwi sorbet. THEN, I spent some money.:( I needed some new shorts and capris since I've lost a little weight. I was getting tired of holding up my pants with safety pins.:D

Sent some money to a high school graduate (after asking permission from her father)

Funny how we take for granted the little things in life like the use of a laptop computer. A couple of days ago, my pc would not boot up due to corrupt files. I couldn't even get into safe mode or any other mode. To make a long story short, I had to reformat the hard disk, reload the OS, drivers, at&t dsl software and I am now back in business. I almost bought a new laptop today as I was struggling to get this thing going.(not pc savy) Still have to get virus software and Firefox loaded but that won't be a problem. Some lost personal data but can live with out it. Oh well..............thank God for med's.:blink:

This evening we watched some old home movies from DH's side of the family. The dates were from 1964 to 1976. So much fun to watch everyone ham it up in front of the camera....and of course wave.

It was amusing to watch the men looking like FBI agents and the women with big hair, pill box hats and dresses morph into a long haired, bell bottom jeans wearing crowd.

Quite a few folks are gone now, but not forgotten. The babies born during the earliest films have grandbabies of their own now.

The beat goes on. :)

Dropped our kid off at the airport. Woo-hoo!!

In about an hour she's flying halfway around the world for a two-week visit to a high-school classmate whose Navy parents are now stationed in Naples. I figure it's a good intro to her future NROTC life-- two 17-year-old girls in a port full of sailors. What could go wrong? Maybe she'll get a free P-3 ride, too.

She's following that up with a couple weeks at a Russian-language immersion camp in the northern U.S. (During her sophomore year she became good friends with an exchange student from Tajikistan. So she knows the Cyrillic alphabet and some vocabulary. I figure the Navy would encourage that, too.) Keep in mind that this surfer grrrl has never in her life worn insect repellent, let alone encountered a serious mosquito. They also keep the campers totally off the grid-- no cell phones, no iPods, no e-mail, no Internet, no computers, not even any electricity in the cabins. Snail-mail only, or faxes at [-]$1[/-]32 rubles/page. It should be a very educational fortnight in more ways than one.

Happy graduation.

And happy grownups vacation, too! We're wondering how much we could get for renting her room out. OTOH this is a fantastic opportunity to proclaim four weeks of no adult parenting, no responsible eating let alone meal-cooking, and no example-setting kitchen-cleaning behavior. In fact we're probably going to declare the entire house a clothing-optional zone with a two-drink minimum...

I figure at least one Waikiki staycation and probably a few days' holoholo. But not tonight, anyway.

...They also keep the campers totally off the grid-- no cell phones, no iPods, no e-mail, no Internet, no computers, not even any electricity in the cabins. Snail-mail only, or faxes at [-]$1[/-]32 rubles/page. It should be a very educational fortnight in more ways than one...
Nords I think you are creating a monster. She will come home committed to staying there as long as she can.

Have a great staycation though - well-deserved!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom