what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
W2R and REWahoo---Thanks for the heads up on my CRT TVs. I will most definitely inquire with the SA on whether they would want the behemoths. I was planning to write a check by way of donation, too. I know the national store you are referring to that will remove a TV if you purchase and get delivery from them. My dilemma is the husband of a friend is a TV salesman, and I feel obliged to buy from him. If the SA won't take them, I will pay a disposal service and just deliver the rest of the stuff to the thrift store in person.

W2R and REWahoo---Thanks for the heads up on my CRT TVs. I will most definitely inquire with the SA on whether they would want the behemoths. I was planning to write a check by way of donation, too. I know the national store you are referring to that will remove a TV if you purchase and get delivery from them. My dilemma is the husband of a friend is a TV salesman, and I feel obliged to buy from him. If the SA won't take them, I will pay a disposal service and just deliver the rest of the stuff to the thrift store in person.

I think our Parish (=County) is able to handle CRT's at a special facility at the dump. We'll ask about it, and if they will accept CRT's then we plan to take our TVs there ourselves and dispose of them. If not, then "back to the drawing board" as they say! :LOL:

Maybe your friend's husband would have an idea of how to get rid of your CRT TV's. They might even take care of it for you "on the QT", if you bought a TV there.

We'll rent a furnished apartment, most likely, until we are ready to move into a house or houses. Well, depending on how much furniture we end up moving ourselves via rental truck. Hopefully it will not be much because we are not getting any younger. We can re-assess at some point.

No RV, though. We talked about that again today and we are both of the opinion that we would be better off without buying an RV, at least right now.

Too late, NW-Bound - - the problem has been mulled over for years, the decisions have been made, the Gantt chart has been created and we are on a roll. After all the years of thought we have put into this, and the discussions on the board (and between ourselves) about it already, we have reached the point at which we have to draw the line.

Just teasing about the RV. ;)

So, you do keep some furniture to move with you. I thought you will get rid of everything, hence wonder why some pieces cannot be left as gift to the new owner, and for you to use while the house is on the market.

I thought you will get rid of everything, hence wonder why some pieces cannot be left as gift to the new owner, and for you to use while the house is on the market.

Just wait and see!! All is in progress and soon will be revealed. You will find out as it happens.

I know, it is KILLING you that you aren't in charge of our move. Sorry 'bout that! :LOL: (not really!)

I know, it is KILLING you that you aren't in charge of our move.
Just curious, that's all. :) And trying to make a conversation. I guess I am not doing that well.

Particularly after the posts about SA only wanting flat screen TVs for donation now, I thought that, gee, perhaps nobody nowadays wants anything used anymore. When we bought our 1st house many years ago after we just got married, did not even have a sofa to sit on, and had no money to buy one. The house we bought was new, but if it were pre-owned and the seller wanted to give us some furniture, heck, we would love it.

So, I wonder if people nowadays would be offended if offered some used furniture, despite how bad the economy is as we heard on the media.

PS. I just gave away my son's junk car to his friend. He was a college student, and grateful to have a ride.

So, I wonder if people nowadays would be offended if offered some used furniture, despite how bad the economy is as we heard on the media.

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Depends on the people and the used furniture and other considerations

Every seller makes their own best decision based on everything they can possibly know

Speaking of which, did YOU know that this is a thread about "What did you do today"? I posted one post on that about 20 posts ago and it seems to have sprouted legs. :rolleyes:

Can't imagine why anyone would be offended. I'll take anything I can get for free. If I can't use it i'll sell it or re-gift it. I only purchased 1 piece of living room furniture in my life. It was a $100 futon and I still own it 12 years later(on it's 2nd mattress which was givin to me free). The only other furniture I have is a 20-30 year old chair that my grandma gave me and a lawn chair that my parents gave me. I doubt i'll ever buy a new piece of furniture.

Last time we tried to donate a working CRT TV the charity wanted $20 from us to accept it!
Now, they may say "Just give us the $20, and you keep the TV". :LOL:

I have 5 TVs in this house, only two are flat-screen HDTV. When I want to get rid of the old TVs, at least where I live, the city will collect them twice a year if we leave them by the curb. No extra fees yet.

What I have done so far today: The Salvation Army truck has already come and gone, and they took the furniture I specified in the quote below. It's wonderful to be rid of it, and my house seems so much more spacious. Now, I can choose a carpet and schedule some carpetlayers to start with the recarpeting project! :D I wonder if the landscaping people will show up today.

Tomorrow they will take my 8' lazyboy sofa, coffee table, end table, china cabinet, dining table with leaf, and six dining chairs.

I think the odds are good your landscapers will show up the same day as the electrician and the carpet layers...

That's what I figured. But then again, my lawn guy comes to mow on Wednesdays, so I figure there's at least a slight chance that the landscaping people will cut down that tree and have it lying across the lawn when he gets here... :LOL:

Didn't sleep well last night...probably because I knew I had an appt with my doc early this a.m. Went to my appt and my blood pressure was 100/58. It's never been that low. I only got poked one time for a blood sample....usually it takes them 3 or 4 tries.

....also, it's drizzlin' rain and the temp is 72 degrees.

:blink:

The end is nigh. I need some chocolate. :greetings10:

I had no trouble selling a 27 inch CRT on craigslist before we moved for a nominal amount. Maybe 20 bucks? Can't recall for sure. I got a number of calls on it.

I just got back from two Mini vacations to visit friends. The first was 4 days in Cleveland in which I played golf twice at my friends club. He took me out to two excellent restaurants for dinner and an outdoor concert with the Cleveland orchestra. The next vacation was to friends that have a summer home in Montreal. I was there for six days. They live in the historic area and I did a lot of walking averaging 7 miles a day. Again we ate at some excellent restaurants (Pied de Cochon and Kitchen Gallery de Poisson). Green Day performed a concert and we listened for free just outside the gate. I would recommend Montreal as a vacation spot. A very safe city with the feel of Europe and the friendliness of the US.

Sorry to hear that :whistle: ...
:D

Well I would reply in my usual naughty way, but since my bp is low I don't have a lot of energy and could just faint dead away....

Mmmm, hmmmm...but I will muster up one of these ---> >:D

Still cramming over 200 pages of 6"x9" manuscript into a 64-page 4"x5" pocket guide. I'm down to just 93 pages.

Writing? Easy. Editing? Not so much.

How small is the font size? :)
12-point titles and eight-point text. Lots of this, this, and this too.

It's not all content. Some of it's the table of contents and the chapter checklists. A couple pages are advertising & order forms. I guess my contribution is really only about 55 pages.

I trust the publisher's instincts (and most especially his sales record) but I don't see (so to speak) these pocket guides being a big hit with the presbyopian crowd. ("Free pocket magnifier with every copy!!") Ideally the pocket guides are just a gateway drug (with a high profit margin) to the main manuscript, but their bulk sales are impressive.

Of course to optimize those sales I need to avoid snarky comments about DoD, the transition assistance programs, and the veteran's benefits bureaucracy. Like I said, tough editing.

I'm probably overdoing the daily effort, too, in an effort to stay ahead of the editor. Last week's update said "We should have the editing done within the next two weeks. This may go faster than anticipated." (Thanks again to all you contributors, reviewers, and proofreaders in the social group!) Luckily this week's surf sucks.

Last edited:
Oh boy - selling out to the establishment. I thought better of you...:LOL:
Ahem, [-]I[/-] we here at The Military Guide Galactic HQ prefer to conceptualize it as "shameless & flagrant [-]manipulation[/-] flattery of the authority structure's philanthropic instincts". One way or another they'll end up supporting veterans.

The psychology is sort of like Ted Turner's old peer fundraising pitch of "C'mon, you pathetic losers, it's for charity!!"

There will be an entire blog & website full of "material that our lawyers wouldn't let us send to the printers"...

I did purchase a CRV EX and I got what I think is a really good deal . After talking to a few Honda places I Knew what price to aim for . Plus I ordered the Invoice so I was armed with info . I am now the proud owner of a Honda CRV . I hope it will be as trouble free as my Solara was.

My friend just bought one of these. He loves it, and it is not his first one either.

Ha

DW and I celebrated our 31st anniversary today. No big activities, just a nice day appreciating each other (and a good seafood dinner). :D

Yesterday DW was off on an emergency baby-sitting run so I had the place to myself. I was going to take the bike and GPS and just follow some road 'til I got lost but the weather looked iffy.

So I stayed home and read online most of the day about color calibration for digital photography, monitor calibration, and printer calibration. It can get pretty deep, but it's interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom