what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm officially a Senior Citizen™.
Got my Golden Buckeye card in the mail.
(from the Ohio Department of Aging)

2 day report...:cool:

Yesterday I wrapped up birthday presents for my favorite guy. I've been teasing the heck out of him, saying I have a neat surprise for him for Tuesday. And NO HINTS! I was going to make a cake, but he isn't a real dessert eater unless...it's Boston Cream (newsflash :LOL:) or Blueberry pie.

Last night I watched "Julie and Julia" last night at home (Netflix). Meryl Streep gave a command performance portraying Julia Child. Streep had her mannerisms and voice spot on. What a character Child was. :ROFLMAO:

Today is watching the grass grow in the lawn. I was going to mow it, but it does need to go to seed so I can distribute natural seed to bare spots using effective mowing maneuvers. Why spend money on grass seed ?:whistle:

Putting the finishing touches on the house and myself since DH should be home tonight. I doubt he will notice but that's ok since I'm sure he'll be exhausted.

I've slept fine a couple of nights but the rest of the time not so much. I guess I've gotten used to his big hairy legs being thrown over me, his grunts, snoring and stealing the covers.....:blink:

I guess I've gotten used to his big hairy legs being thrown over me, his grunts, snoring and stealing the covers.....:blink:

Sounds like a description of my dog.

img_972870_0_e72a364271a785edb454e4152d089ee4.jpg

I've been bustin' my butt trying to not have the house look like a bear den.

Last edited:
Ahhhh the joys of home ownership. Missed golf today as I had to wait around on a guy to come and install a new gas hot water heater. Old one played out. It was probably 40 years old or so. Just don't make them like they used to.;) But $460 later, I have hot showers once again.

Easrlier this week one of the dual gas 75 gal hot water heaters crapped out. The other was old, so management decided to replace them both. $7300. Still, these are residential units, a single fast heating commercial unit would have cost $12,500. The installer told me that two heaters our size and type are actually underspec'd for a 30 unit building, but I have lived here 3 years and always had seemingly infinite hot water.

Ha

Putting the finishing touches on the house and myself since DH should be home tonight. I doubt he will notice but that's ok since I'm sure he'll be exhausted.

I've slept fine a couple of nights but the rest of the time not so much. I guess I've gotten used to his big hairy legs being thrown over me, his grunts, snoring and stealing the covers.....:blink:

Hang on, I think we might be married to the same man.

Went to my son's high school preseason football game. It was a good game until he 4th quarter and some turnovers gave the opposing team some easy scores. My son is the starting center as a freshman (8-man football), but hurt his back midway through the third quarter. Sciatic nerve issue. This morning before the game I stripped the field. Despite the lose and injury had a great time. Next week we travel to Owyhee, Nevada. Find it on Google maps. You don't get much more middle of nowhere.

Took DW to a farmers market, and came home with a truckload
Tried to figure out the Mad Mimi newsletter emailing program
Took a boat ride
Cut the grass
Sprayed sealer on the patio and paver sidewalks

I went to a Seattle Sounders game with one of my sons. Good game, sounders won 2-1. Everyone stood the entire game, crowd of about 35,000-soccer has really caught hold here.

Lots of drunk girls in attendance. I can't quite figure why anyone would spend $$$$ for a season ticket, $8.50 each for beers, and get smashed early on.

Ha

Interesting introvert's day today.

Spouse is spending a week in San Diego volunteering with a non-profit. It's one of those intense immersion situations where she'll be at meetings for 10-12 hours and then spending the evenings with friends [-]bitching[/-] discussing the day. When she finishes her volunteer training she'll stay on a few more days to treat herself to some Mainland shopping. After 24 years of marriage, in this sort of situation we each feel as if we're getting at least 60% of the good deal.

Spouse and I have made solo trips before, of course, but for the past 17+ years it's usually meant that the other parent has been in solo charge. This sort of situation was highly stressful (admittedly less so during the last 3-4 years) and of course the parenting partner was sorely missed within an hour of their departure. By the child as well as the remaining solo parent.

However three weeks ago our kid departed for college. So for the first time in the decade since we've bought this house, I spent 24 hours alone in it. I'm still trying to remember, but I don't think that I've spend 24 hours home alone in at least the last 15 years.

Yesterday was a total "me" day-- writing, reading, catching up on personal projects, working out. Eating & sleeping when/as much as I wanted to. Time passed so quickly! The sheer hedonism is almost overwhelming.

And I still have seven days left!!

Nords, I've spent ~17 years alone. Good you have someone coming home.

However three weeks ago our kid departed for college. So for the first time in the decade since we've bought this house, I spent 24 hours alone in it. I'm still trying to remember, but I don't think that I've spend 24 hours home alone in at least the last 15 years.

Yesterday was a total "me" day-- writing, reading, catching up on personal projects, working out. Eating & sleeping when/as much as I wanted to. Time passed so quickly! The sheer hedonism is almost overwhelming.

And I still have seven days left!!

Sounds like you are having a wonderful time. Enjoy!!! :)

Temps got around 90 today and humid. I couldn't pass up getting loads of free dirt someone offered up, so I picked up another 10 - 5 gal buckets (total of 72 buckets for this weekend) to increase the drainage of the soil around the foundation of the house and to fill any low spots around bushes, trees and the garden. I looked at it as a 2 for 1, got in exercise while doing something productive around the house.

I bought a bundle of medium sized boxes just to start with, so now I need to do some more packing.

Today I got a handyman to come over and take a first look at my attic fan and the outdoor ceiling fan on my covered patio that hasn't worked since Hurricane Katrina. Sometimes I think I will never get done with the hurricane repairs. Anyway, once both fans are working again I can cross those jobs off my Gantt chart.

The Gantt chart says that sometime soon I need to call the (shudder) plumber for a couple of small jobs. Hopefully they will still be small jobs by the time he is done. :eek:

We also made another trip to GoodWill yesterday. I still have a big pile of stuff that we need to take over there. I threw out all but three pairs of shoes since I don't need the rest and they were not suitable for donation. I found out that packing peanuts are ridiculously expensive, so instead of throwing out the rest of my work clothes I am going to use them to cushion fragile things that I am packing.

HOLY LAWNMOWER Batman!

I mowed my lawn in twilight with the company of a few bats emerging from my 2 homemade bat-houses. They flew around overhead in a swirling pattern.

I continued mowing after dark with the headlights on. That was FUN! :LOL:

Am I getting eccentric ? Or just perfecting it? :whistle:

HOLY LAWNMOWER Batman!

I mowed my lawn in twilight with the company of a few bats emerging from my 2 homemade bat-houses. They flew around overhead in a swirling pattern.

I continued mowing after dark with the headlights on. That was FUN! :LOL:

Am I getting eccentric ? Or just perfecting it? :whistle:

Neighbor mowed the the lawn. Very brown .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom