what did you do today? (2008-2015) (closed)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a new friend. He is originally from the Bronx (NYC). He is so funny he could do standup, albeit with a very salty edge. He has a storehouse of jokes in his brain. My face still hurts from laughing. :LOL:

Nice to be meeting folks originally from my neck of the woods (just north of NYC). He wants to hop the Amtrak and show me the Big Apple the RIGHT way on a day trip. And of course I will have to eat a big salty soft pretzel,
a slice [-]or two[/-] of REAL pizza, and a hot pastrami sandwich on REAL rye bread while I'm there.
I'll walk the calroies off sightseeing. :blush:

Twist my arm...:D

Living in Ohio, I miss real rye bread.

I have a new friend. He is originally from the Bronx (NYC). He is so funny he could do standup, albeit with a very salty edge. He has a storehouse of jokes in his brain. My face still hurts from laughing. :LOL:

Nice to be meeting folks originally from my neck of the woods (just north of NYC). He wants to hop the Amtrak and show me the Big Apple the RIGHT way on a day trip. And of course I will have to eat a big salty soft pretzel,
a slice [-]or two[/-] of REAL pizza, and a hot pastrami sandwich on REAL rye bread while I'm there.
I'll walk the calroies off sightseeing. :blush:

Twist my arm...:D

Yum!! Sounds delicious. Pretzels, pizza, hot pastrami - - mmmm!!! :D

Dating several people before settling down with one is a smart idea, not to mention fun. :angel: There are a million fish in the sea.

I had a wonderful time at the Houston ERs chapter meeting. Thanks for herding all us cats, Htown Harry!

Families Weekend is finished, and our kid seems firmly ensconced at Rice. She'll have better feedback when four-week exams & grades are finished.

Hey Freebird, what happened to the Favorite Bostonian?
You're not two timing, are you? :whistle:
Maybe she's just visiting a lot of ports?

It rained and I walked barefoot in the mud.

What a fine thing to do!

Today i drove, yesterday I drove. Am now plopped down in a motel room in 29 Palms waiting for my gal to give me the come ahead or have her come down here. I'm 6 miles from insanity and hoping to avoid it altogether - she's been living with it for a week.

Got the call this morning while I was on the road that my old man cat Blue has checked out of this world. He was a good ol' boy, hated other cats and never forgave God for sticking him him in a cat body when he was so aware of being a former CEO human. He'll get planted out front away from the other cat graves so he can have some peace and be first to eyeball any human visitors.
http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e73/calmloki/hot.jpg
This is he in younger warmer times. Only cat I knew who liked Posole and Mexican food, expressing a great preference for tacos after being doctored up with tomato, onion, hot sauce, and lime vs. just getting carnitas meat on a plate on the floor.

As a young cat a neighbor ran over his foot - didn't break any bones, but it was an introduction to good drugs - he swore constantly thereafter about the fate that cursed him with no pockets - had he had them he would have been out buying downers. As it was, he was left with a slightly deformed set of right toes, which had him flipping off the world at all times. Which fit his personality just fine.

Sorry to hear about Blue. It's always difficult to lose our furry friends. He sounds like quite the gentleman cat, and I'm sure you will have fond memories of him.

Hey Freebird, what happened to the Favorite Bostonian?

You're not two timing, are you? :whistle:

Yum!! Sounds delicious. Pretzels, pizza, hot pastrami - - mmmm!!! :D

Dating several people before settling down with one is a smart idea, not to mention fun. :angel: There are a million fish in the sea.

She probably has a few more cities to cover . She now has a Bostonian & a soon to be favorite New Yorker .:)

...Maybe she's just visiting a lot of ports?

How does that Beyonce song go..."If you like it then you shoulda put a ring on it...Oooooh oooh OOOOOOH Oooooh oooh OOOOOOH " :whistle:

Miss Freebird has her pick of suitors. I'm 52 years young and still can knock 'em dead. It's all in the legs...32" inseam. ;)
I am finding that gentlemen in their late 50s and early 60s are a very nice age range for moi. :cool: Not freshly divorced, not too much older, kids well grown, and still...um...well you know. :LOL:

To be fair, I brief them ALL on the "Freebird" mentality (..and this bird you cannot cha-aa-ange...no-o-o-o-ooooo-oo...a la Lynyrd Skynyrd) on first meet. Most of these guys don't want a wife or steady girl. They are very pleased to be with a fun silly girl like me to get out of the house and do things with and have some laughs.

However, Mr. Boston is STILL my fave. He is sensing he better get on the stick, and quick. :D

Our kid's back in the college routine today, so we just hunkered down in our air-conditioned space and got caught up on our own lives.

I made a bunch of changes to the 64-page version of "The Military Guide" (thanks for the social group's feedback!), including such fascinating features as footers shifting from Roman page numbers to Arabic numbers and alternating left/right sides of the odd/even pages.

Tomorrow's flight leaves at 9:30 AM from almost the opposite side of Houston, and it took easily 30 minutes to deal with the rental car, so it's gonna be a very early morning. The good news is that we're going away from the city center, so hopefully the traffic jams will be on the other side of the median.

Finis!

The light at the end of the tunnel...my hallway painting project is DONE DONE DONE :clap:

The rest of the living room will be a piece of cake compared to the hallway with 5 doorways, 2 chair rails, 3 smoke detector/motion sensor/doorbell cover things to paint around, 2 archways....ARGH.
Add tendinitis and carpal tunnel in both hands = this took me a loooooong time to do. 2 coats of course. :D

Attachments

• downsized_0905000937.jpg
    downsized_0905000937.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 5
  • downsized_0905000938.jpg
    downsized_0905000938.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 1
  • downsized_0927001512.jpg
    downsized_0927001512.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 1
Last edited by a moderator:
After several failed attempts at hiring a painter we have started our projects . Gary is painting and I am the Home Depot / Lowe's gopher . Our house is in complete disarray but there is an end in sight .After the painting is done the new carpet will be installed and I get to check off my projects for this year .New molding in the living & dining areas ,New paint & carpet in the den , New paint & carpet on the stairs and landing . Next year will be new paint & carpet in the master bedroom & gut & renew the master bath . I feel since real estate is so bad we might as well enjoy the house while we wait for it to pick up .

Miss Freebird has her pick of suitors. I'm 52 years young and still can knock 'em dead. It's all in the legs...32" inseam. ;)
Woo Hoo.....you got it goin’ on!

As far as legs go....well, I've got two of 'em. :greetings10:

Danced a bit with Eric from Vanguard today.

Had to take a few ibuprofen pills as my back has bothered me quite a bit. I think it’s because of the cooler weather and has nothing to do with my age….:angel:

I'm too susceptible to the call of the Whopper. :blush:

Ditch the bun, and the fries, and the soft drink, and the Whopper ain't all that bad...

Living in Ohio, I miss real rye bread.

Don't eat much bread, but I do occasionally baked some pumpernickel in the old bread machine. 'Bout as real as you can get: flour, yeast, salt, water...

He is sensing he better get on the stick, and quick. :D

Isn't that your job? >:D

Wow, this must be the season for painting. I had some ceiling damage from a leaky roof (covered by insurance). The ceiling was repaired and painted a couple of weeks ago. I decided to hire the painter for wall painting too since my walls are getting a little shabby.

He showed up this morning and now I have a freshly painted room for my computer and small TV. He will come tomorrow for the bathroom and hallway. Don't know yet when he will tackle the living/dining/kitchen area AND my basement. He is very reasonable cost wise and paints much faster than what I would be able to....he's a bargain.

You can cross me off the list of those having their house interiors painted, because my painter is done, done, done!!! At least he is done with the inside of my house. He painted every single room in the house except the dressing room that I painted earlier. He even painted the closets and all cabinets, not to mention curio nooks and all the molding (and my house has a lot). Having the entire interior of my house freshly painted in coordinated neutral earth tones with complementary trim colors makes a world of difference. Originally I just wanted to paint a couple of rooms, but my realtor persuaded me to have all of them painted and I am so glad he did.

Tomorrow my painter does the shutters and front door, and will spend some time doing last minute touch-ups and cleanup. Today I cut back the shrubs to make painting the shutters a little easier for him.

Next? Fresh new carpet installed throughout the entire house (except the kitchen, bathrooms, and hallway, that are not carpeted). Also the roofer is coming this week to install a new attic ventilation fan.

The new paint definitely screams "Buy me! Buy me!"

Last edited:
Eight-hour flight from Houston to Honolulu.

There's no place like home. It's good to see the Ko'olau again.

5-7 feet on the south shore tomorrow: dawn patrol.

I invited a neighbor over for supper tonight...have chili slow cookin' on the stove.

Took another pic of my 'fluffies' in my backyard. :smitten:

Attachments

• DSC02150.jpg
    DSC02150.jpg
    1,021 KB · Views: 8
I bartered my (80 pound) 42" plasma TV for some of the painting work. That's one heavy, fragile thing that I won't have to move north.

I'll buy a cheap, 10 pound, 19" flatscreen TV to use temporarily. I can put it in my bedroom after the move.

I am so glad to be done with all the painting, both inside and out. Now, the roofer! :D

Last edited:
Today, I figured out my estimated taxes. Really should have done it sooner... Other than that, it seems like all I do is play with & train the puppy and hunt down stink bugs. Cooler today so the stink bugs are less active - whew!

Went to the farmers market. Mennonite lady gave me some free gizzards.

Plumber did not show up.

90-mile motorcycle ride before the monsoon starts for the next couple of days.

Went to see DW who is pet-sitting for her brother & SIL again while they're off on a trip spending money they don't have since they just took out a loan to pay off cc bills.:uglystupid:

Played with a new toy, an X-rite Colorchecker to set the white balance in the camera so the colors are read accurately. Hey, it works! A print of the photo has the colors coming out with differences so slight they are almost imperceptible to my untrained eye.

Attachments

• Color test small.jpg
    Color test small.jpg
    495.4 KB · Views: 1
Love bbbamI's fluffies.....:D

Painter will start on living room/dining/kitchen tomorrow. My dog was driving me mad with the painter here. She is now at the kennel 'til Friday. For someone that is not doing the painting, I'm pooped. I removed all the wall hangings and moved the furniture away from the walls. I also undid the TV and VCR...hope I can put it back together. Appeasing the dog was also very tiring, probably the worse part.:mad: Tomorow, with no dog underfoot should be very peaceful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom