What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
pretty much did this all day yesterday, and more on the way tonight through tuesday:

arian2.jpg

Had to do a complete net worth recalculation, as the price of a Forever stamp went up by two cents (a whopping 4.25%). I have at least a couple of books of them in a drawer somewhere. Better than bonds! :dance:

Took an extra day due to the storm and getting out. DW and I went snowshoeing. I thought she was calling it quits a little early till I sat down.:D

Pretty good exercise.

Last edited:
Slept in till 7:30am, a true anomaly since entering my 50's a few years back . . .

Fussed around the house vacuuming and dusting to continue locating the unbelievable amount of dust putting in hardwood floors recently created. Looks fantastic, however, so worth all the pain to get here.

Met a GF for lunch, and she told me about a six week boot camp her fitness club is running. I love a good challenge, so I said 'Yes' and am looking forward to it. Afterward we wandered through Whole Foods, 'window shopping.' I ended up buying two containers of Italian gelato to take home. I do love that market, even while using it quite cautiously.

Home to meet a window coverings rep, then to the gym for an hour of cardio. Showered back at home, then prepared a terrific dinner - curried chicken, brown rice and a cucumber-tomato salad. Reading and electronic jigsaw puzzles until bed.

Last edited:
Spent my last day at work, followed by a wonderful retirement dinner. I am free at last.

I'm right behind you. Enjoying 2 weeks of vacation at home right now then back to the project for a week and I'm done on the 10th. Sent out an email inviting our friends to a retirement dinner and looks like everyone will be able to make it. Also have a bottle of Asti in the fridge that DW and I will share in our private celebration.:dance:

Finally got my new hubcap (from Amazon) installed on my car. First attempt didn't work and I was afraid to force it, so I just waited til another day to see if my luck would change. Tried it again after a few days and it went right on! Now my car is back to its regular non-ghetto look. All right!

I told my boss yesterday that I was retiring in May. To celebrate, I burned a vacation day today setting up Sonos speakers throughout the house, including a Sonos amp and nice speakers in the back yard. I am very impressed with the sound. I also have a team of people at my house right now setting up a new new home theater system. The old Bose system couldn't handle the 4k tv, so out with the old and in with the new. My kids are going to be so excited when they get home from school!

Walked in the Women's March on Austin yesterday with some friends and about 50K more folks. It was completely peaceful and amazingly positive. Came home and took a nap, fixed dinner (steak and noodle bowls), then watched Duke beat Miami in a really strange game - all Miami in the first half, all Duke in the 2nd.

+1
Went to the march in DC with DW, 3DD's and one other. Awesome experience. Met marchers from FL,CA,NY,PA,VA,MN,NC,NY and some other places too, I guess. Watched Duke-Miami too, but I missed out on the steak.

+1
Met marchers from FL,CA,NY,PA,VA,MN,NC,NY and some other places too, I guess.

My sister from GA was there too, but she didn't say anything about seeing you.

I didn't do anything today. DW made a chocolate cake. Yum.

Got my skis out and checked that all my gear is ready. Heading to Colorado this weekend to slide down some slopes. One of my favorite parts of the year!

I'm going to build a snow pull sled. It will be built on a set of old ski's reviews say they really are easy to pull. I do many outdoor activities in the winter and at times I need a sled. I know I could go buy one but I love to build things and in most cases the material is free. Lol It is called a smitty sled you can google it if you can to see what this sled looks like.

We had a windstorm that lasted a few days and it blew a 7 foot hefty branch off a town tree with about a foot on my side over the property line between my neighbor and I. This has happened before, and within a few days the branch gets moved entirely onto my side of the line. Sigh. I hate confrontation but also my neighbor is not all there. So I was planning to saw it up today and put it out with the yard waste, like I always do.

THEN last night the town tree farther in on my neighbor's property split and a huge 20 foot trunk/branch fell in her yard. This morning the town came and chopped that up and while they were at it, they picked up the one in my yard.

So I did NOT chop up a branch today - yay town!

Replaced some doorknobs, and took the opportunity to update from brass to "aged bronze". Will go to a different Lowe's tonight or tomorrow to buy the rest I need (the store I visited today didn't have all I need).

Went to third physical therapy visit to work on left elbow pain. When rest, ice and anti-inflammatories don't do the trick go see the experts. Huge progress in a short time. They are working on the fascia and scarring that occurs through a lifetime of injuries and over use.

Took DW out to lunch at Outback Steak House, she's been a sweetheart to me the last couple of weeks with health issues and especially with the aftermath of some surgery a week ago that left my right arm temporarily somewhat disabled, there's a 10 lb. limit on what I can lift/carry for now. Also we realized that for the last two weeks the only places we went going outside was either the grocery store or doctor's appointments!

Also got my new Blade mSRS R/C helicopter set up in the transmitter and pretty much dialed in, it will hover nearly hands-off in the family room. Hopefully photos tomorrow but that takes some setting up. It has a 1.1 ounce all-up flying weight and 7" main rotor diameter so a good size for indoor flying.

Picked up DW at the airport. She has been in Hawaii (multiple islands) for the last couple of weeks with some girlfriends. I'm utterly in awe of the astounding photos she put on Facebook, but she told me she took nearly 1,600 photos, deleted about 700, and posted fewer than 100. If that were me, the numbers would have been an order of magnitude smaller, but I still wouldn't have had nearly as beautiful an array of shots. The iPhone 6S camera is truly impressive.

Yesterday I trimmed out a sliding glass door then cut and hung exterior siding around it. We are finishing our basement, a real DIY project involving removing supports and adding I-beams to open the area. A six month project for sure.

Today was so nice we decided to take a day off from reno work. We went for a nice hike in the mountains to a waterfall then spent the rest of the day on the deck reading with a glass of wine. Tonight for dinner it's steak on the grill! Not a bad way to spend a sunny January day.

Made another batch of jerky from ground meat with my new jerky gun. The first batch turned out fine, using 90% lean ground beef from the supermarket. I wanted to experiment, and saw 90% lean ground bison at Costco, so picked up a package. Amazing difference, using the same recipe. Way better than the beef, so I think this will be my standard from now on.

Sort-of good news. Had an appointment with the oncologist for the melanoma and I'm at stage IIA, which basically means "watch and wait". Hey, at least he didn't say "Get your affairs in order" so that's good.

Played with the new helicopter some more but the photos I got were lousy so I'm not posting those. I know what I did wrong so will try again tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom