What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pain is a good reminder that we're still alive.

Washed more windows, got up on the roof and blew out the gutters and then blew away all the gunk I blew out of the gutters.

Gonna make me a nice bowl of shrimp wanton soup for supper

Aja8888 - great news about your wife's recovery. Stay dry and safe with the hurricane!

I've had a busy week.
** Pursued the email negotiation for a new car (Subaru Forester) following tips in the other thread.
** Realized after my t-mobile experience (see that other thread) that - doh - I'd need to unlock my credit to take advantage of the 0% financing they were offering on 2017s.
** Took my old car to CarMax to get an appraisal so I could see if the dealer would beat it. It came in higher than KBB so I was pleased.
** Got an tentative offer on the highlander (old car) from one of the beach regulars. It was for $800 more than the CarMax appraisal.
** Finalized my price and went with the cheaper dealer (cars were literally exactly the same - even the color and options.)
** Had the beach buddy offer fall through just as the mail arrived with my new pin for Transunion.
** temporarily unlocked my credit.
** Purchased my new car - snagging that 0% (so I don't have to create a tax event to get the cash.) Yesterday
** Sold my old car to CarMax today.

... Oh... and this morning swam a mile for the first time. I've been slowly adding laps to my lap swimming I do after the "old lady water fitness" classes I take. I started at 4 laps (200m) at the beginning of summer and today I did 32 laps (plus another half length to make sure I rounded up.) That's 1610 meters. A mile Woo Hoo. Proud of myself. I'm still fat - but I'm developing some muscle tone under this fat. LOL.

Played golf this morning. Perfect weather for a change. Low humidity made it feel like Fall. Speaking of Fall.....I'm ready for it.

While out for my morning bike ride, I came across a young red-tailed hawk that had been hit by a car and badly injured. Rode home to get my vehicle, and transported it to a wildlife rehab center.
Not sure if it will survive, but it deserved the chance. The people at the rehab are a devoted group. I plan to make a generous donation.

Congrats on the mile swim, rodi! My preferred exercise in my 20s was lap swimming and it was difficult to get to the mile marker then - so double good on you!

Hosted a reunion dinner for the Peru trip group tonight - had photos from the trip on one monitor and the Weather Channel on the other, watching Harvey arrive. Very nasty on the coast now but only one squall so far up here. The rainfall projections are frightening, especially southeast of here. Hope all ER folks down that way are on high ground!

Played golf this morning. Third time this week. It's coming together. My handicap factor is coming down. Yay! Did as little as possible this afternoon. Made a caprese salad for late lunch. Went to a great free outdoor concert this evening, a couple of blocks away from my home. Feeling blessed!

aj8888 - I hope your wife has a speedy recovery.

banaman - You seem like a caring dad who has done his best. Maybe the tough love approach will work in the end. It sounds like you were running out of other options.

We went to a concert tonight by an Earth, Wind and Fire tribute band, Kalimba. They put on a great show. They sound just like the original band.

Getting ready for hockey season - need a bigger tv, and a bigger entertainment center. Started building today.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 7.45.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 7.45.02 AM.png
    70.1 KB · Views: 55
I see you left some room to expand your screen size. Good idea. :)

Yep - I'm not going to get caught in this situation again. Our fireplace made it impossible to increase tv size. So I'm ripping the fireplace out to make room for a bigger tv.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 7.47.09 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-08-27 at 7.47.09 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 39
It was hot here today so we went to Redwood Regional Park for a hike but it was pretty hot there, too, even with all the shade from the trees. We brought some snacks and lawn chairs and set up by a stream for some shinrin-yoku (forest bathing).

Last edited:
Went to wally world to pick up a fishing reel for DW. On the way there four mule deer were raping the trees in a person's yard. I thought the first couple were bull Elk, quickly realized they were the biggest mule deer I've ever seen. Why they all wanted to mount the ornamental trees? I don't know, perhaps practicing for the rut?

We went fishing down at one of the lakes in our development. DW has fished, but never cast a line before. She did awesome! Casting bait and bobber she did as well as any novice. Neither of us had any action on bait. I eventually switched to lures, and caught an 18" Rainbow on a rooster tail. I originally tried to release it, but tonight it's dinner.

ETA: The trout was amazing! Oh so different from the restaurant/grocery store variety.

She said she felt confident enough to cast some lures the next time. I'm looking forward to it. There's a couple of places where there's salmon and trout fishing that's lures only, I'd love to see her land a trophy fish.

Last edited:
Shipped a box of food to family members in Venezuela today. 25 pounds of staples, things like flour, rice, sardines, and personal hygiene items. Looks like this will be a regular thing for us.

Just came bacjk from the Dr. to get the results of DW's PET scan. She was totally freaked out because she was afraid she had either Leukemia or Lymphoma.
Thank goodness all the findings were either negative or were things we knew about.:dance:

Just came bacjk from the Dr. to get the results of DW's PET scan. She was totally freaked out because she was afraid she had either Leukemia or Lymphoma.
Thank goodness all the findings were either negative or were things we knew about.:dance:

Great news!!

Shipped a box of food to family members in Venezuela today. 25 pounds of staples, things like flour, rice, sardines, and personal hygiene items. Looks like this will be a regular thing for us.

Having only the limited knowledge of what I see on the news, how secure is the transportation system? Does what you send = what they receive?

Souchef, That's great news.

MichaelB, What REWahoo said, I was wondering the same thing.

Having only the limited knowledge of what I see on the news, how secure is the transportation system? Does what you send = what they receive?

I'm not sure, but not also worried. The shipper and intermediary are established businesses and they say there are no customs issues for personal consumption items. The only prohibited items are things that can be weaponized.

If there is leakage, we'll just send more stuff. This shipment went by air, which is a bit pricey, but there is a sea option, much more practical for heavy items, like flour, rice, canned goods. Also, the sea option lets us send a larger amount of supplies on a regular timetable. Nothing of high value here, but still worth a lot to the recipients. :)

We've been sending prescription medicine and medical supplies for the past year. (Even a pacemaker). This whole process is set up on trust, transferring money to bank accounts of people we don't know and never met, based entirely on third party references. People will find a way..

Last edited:
This whole process is set up on trust, transferring money to bank accounts of people we don't know and never met, based entirely on third party references. People will find a way..

Sounds kinda like Hawala.

After spending most of the day alternating between freak-out :eek: and no-freak-out :greetings10: mode concerning Harvey, I finally decided the latter was suitable and stopped freaking out.

Then both my iPad and laptop broke multiple times in weird, major, challenging ways, keeping me busy the rest of the evening. I managed to fix my laptop (both times, yay!), but the source of my iPad problem turned out to be physical/structural damage due to dropping it, and it may not work for long. Not quite as bad as the photo below, but along those lines.

But see, this is good. Everything broke already, so I won't have another computer breakdown for ages, right? Right? Isn't that how it works? :D

:duh:

Who ever said retirement was boring? :LOL:

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.7 KB · Views: 179
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom