What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Attended a neighborhood feast. Host smoked pork and turkey, others brought stuff. We brought pumpkin pie made from own pumpkins.

We saw a fun musical last night, Honky Tonk Angels. They fit in oldies but goodies like Harper Valley PTA and These Boots Are Made for Walking. I had those on 45rpm vinyl records growing up.

We had a nice Thanksgiving meal out with the family today for mimosas and turkey dinner with all the trimmings.

We had Thanksgiving dinner here with the kids and our 4 grandsons (4 years, 2 years, 18 months, and 8 months).

It was a wonderful, but exhausting, day. Within 15 minutes of saying goodbye, my DW was asleep on the couch. :LOL:

Ordered an iPhone X. Bought new Adobe Lightroom software. Canceled Netflix. Took Dw and MIL to a Christmas tree festival and out for a late lunch.

Went to hard yoga with my sister, who is in town this weekend. Had lunch with my folks and my other sister. I made chicken rice soup and took it over. Unfortunately, some of it spilled in my trunk, so that made a good mess.

We all went to Walmart together, which sounds corny, but it was fun and we got stuff we actually needed. Tonight I cooked bacon wrapped tenderloins on the grill with all the trimmings for my DH and me.

Yesterday I made the mistake of going to Bed, Bath & Beyond to return the coffee maker I bought that was defective.

One of the managers was working the customer service desk and I watched in amazement as she worked the register, fielded questions from other workers, while at the same time answering the constantly ringing phone.

She was pretty unflappable; much more than I could be, even when I was younger and more tolerant of people's bull****. When she got to me, I told her that I was in awe of her. That gave her a chuckle. :)

One of the managers was working the customer service desk and I watched in amazement as she worked the register, fielded questions from other workers, while at the same time answering the constantly ringing phone. :)

Back in high school and college, I worked in a hardware store. Most of my co workers and myself could answer the phone, run cash register( count change by yourself) greet customers, answer questions and point to aisle where departments we located at the same time. Nowadays, you're lucky if you can find a clerk/salesperson who is not on their "dumb phone", oblivious to their surroundings.:mad:

Bagged an enormous number of leaves, covered my fig trees for the winter and canned 7 pints of turkey stock.

Got new yearly beach parking passes, scraped off the old ones with a razor and stuck on the new ones. Then I took out the tree and set it up for DW to decorate.

Oldest DD got engaged. DH and I knew it was coming, but it was a surprise for her.

We put up the tree, outside lights, and holiday decor. We visited friends this afternoon who just adopted a puppy - so fun to play with the pup.

It has been rainy here today so we mostly just stayed in and caught up on chores, walked the dog and I made a big batch of home made soup. Yesterday we went to a flea market on Treasure Island during the afternoon and watched a Redbox movie, Valerian, at night. I though Valerian was great and wished we'd seen it at the theater on the big screen. Friday we went into the city for a SF Symphony performance.

We are sitting around in our "lounge wear" handling the Christmas shopping. Dog isn't even in a hurry for a walk. Life is tough.:)

Oldest DD got engaged. DH and I knew it was coming, but it was a surprise for her.

Congratulations!

Same thing for us (only DD) about a year ago... since then we moved them out of one apt... did the wedding (a lot of work but worth it) and then helped them pack for a 1,500 mile move. Busy year for us! Hope yours is less hectic.

DD and hubby came up to the mountains Friday and we had an enjoyable weekend. We all went back down the their place Sunday. They are both at work and I am going through the moving boxes of mine that have been packed for several years and now are taking up space the the kid's basement. I am trying to do the de-clutter thing. I got to a couple boxes of family photo albums. I decided I would just keep those. That way I don't have to go through them. That is a struggle even eight and a half years after DW passed away. I will build a nice set of bookshelves and they will go there. Maybe I will even look at them some day...

Went out and bought a new 24" Ariens snow thrower. I already have an older model that works fine as designed but the problem now is that maneuvering it around is a hard upper body workout that evidently I can't do anymore. Six or eight years ago I'd do our driveway and four or five of the neighbor's. Then that became three or four of the neighbor's, then two or three, and the last time I used it doing just our driveway had me worn out. The two wheels are on a straight shaft so when turning one or both has to drag on the pavement, and that's what makes it hard to turn.

The new one has a feature called auto-turn, which behaves sort of like a differential and makes it very easy to turn. I tried it out in the parking lot before buying and it is no harder to turn than a lawn mower. Hopefully this will keep me able to clear the snow for at least a few more years.

After I bought the first snow thrower we didn't see snowflake one for four years. I'll take that deal anytime!

I bought that same model four years ago. Didn't have the auto turn feature, but still easy enough to maneuver. Worked very well for me so you should be happy with it.

braumeister, that's good to hear. I was hesitant about the auto-turn feature because although most reviews said it was the best invention since canned beer others claimed it was over-sensitive and tried to turn on it's own with every little disturbance in the surface. That's why I wanted to try it out before plunking down the credit card.

With my Craftsman snowblower there are controls for each wheel... if I engaged the control for the left wheel it disengages but the right wheel continues to turn so the snowblower turns left... and vice versa. Engaging both allows you to free wheel. I often just free wheel and pull it backwards rather than using reverse.

Did an oil and filter change on DW's 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. It's at 65,050 miles and I have been doing oil changes roughly every 7,500 miles since new. Air filters every 20,000 miles. Great car, never seen a dealer, no issues to date. It's on its second set of tires and original brakes.

This morning my wife and I drove to the hospital for my second in a series of six cancer treatments.

Unfortunately, they decided at the last minute that this round needed to be done while on a heart monitor and they didn't have a monitoring room available.

So we drove back home and will wait to hear when the room becomes available.

Oh well.

Went out and bought a new 24" Ariens snow thrower. I already have an older model that works fine as designed but the problem now is that maneuvering it around is a hard upper body workout that evidently I can't do anymore. Six or eight years ago I'd do our driveway and four or five of the neighbor's. Then that became three or four of the neighbor's, then two or three, and the last time I used it doing just our driveway had me worn out. The two wheels are on a straight shaft so when turning one or both has to drag on the pavement, and that's what makes it hard to turn.

The new one has a feature called auto-turn, which behaves sort of like a differential and makes it very easy to turn. I tried it out in the parking lot before buying and it is no harder to turn than a lawn mower. Hopefully this will keep me able to clear the snow for at least a few more years.

After I bought the first snow thrower we didn't see snowflake one for four years. I'll take that deal anytime!

That's a powerful snow blower. I clicked on that link and now Yahoo, FB, Reddit all think I'm ready to buy!

Mine doesn't have the turn assist. That's one thing I'd like.

This morning my wife and I drove to the hospital for my second in a series of six cancer treatments.

Unfortunately, they decided at the last minute that this round needed to be done while on a heart monitor and they didn't have a monitoring room available.

So we drove back home and will wait to hear when the room becomes available.

Oh well.

All the best to you...hope your condition vastly improves.

Did an oil and filter change on DW's 2013 Hyundai Santa Fe. It's at 65,050 miles and I have been doing oil changes roughly every 7,500 miles since new. Air filters every 20,000 miles. Great car, never seen a dealer, no issues to date. It's on its second set of tires and original brakes.
Very nice.

I set up my spending spreadsheet for 2018, in the way that I like it.

That doesn't sound like much, but I get a lot out of making it just perfect (for me), well in advance so that I don't have to think about it on January 1st, when I am withdrawing, rebalancing, and so on.

OK, I posted a little here, and played a little "Animal Crossing, Pocket Camp" on my new iPad, too. And we went out to lunch. Rough day, huh. :LOL:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom