Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-07-2017, 07:44 PM   #3241
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah, lousy weather here too (j/k). It was around 82, with 80% humidity. I repaired our wooden gate, which had been wrenched off and bent during Hurricane Irma. ...
It was -4 this morning, but, then again, I don't think I have ever seen a hurricane in these parts. Just sayin...

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-07-2017, 08:37 PM   #3242
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Got a call from a friend to fill in for their bass player for a gig in early January when their regular bassist will be out of the country.
Sounds like a blast. I hope you have a great time.

Old 12-07-2017, 08:40 PM   #3243
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
Got a call from a friend to fill in for their bass player for a gig in early January when their regular bassist will be out of the country. He sent me their set list of 38 songs and I took a look at them and separated them into groups.

- I already know how to play 14 of them
- 12 fall into the "easy" category and can be learned in a few minutes each
- 8 of them are medium difficulty, will take between 30 minutes to an hour each to learn
- 4 of them are hard and will require a fair bit of work...and 1 of the 4 will definitely test my abilities to the limit

I put about 3 hours into it and learned 9 of the easy ones and 2 of the medium ones. They're rehearsing Tuesday next week and I'm hoping to know all 38 songs even though it's not required or expected so soon. Realistically, I should be up to speed on all but a couple of the hard ones.

It's definitely a pleasure having the free time that retirement provides to practice and learn songs.
Are the 4 hard ones necessary for that one gig?
pb4uski is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2017, 08:50 PM   #3244
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
Yeah, lousy weather here too (j/k). It was around 82, with 80% humidity. I
Damn! Hope you get some relief soon
Old 12-07-2017, 11:28 PM   #3245

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Are the 4 hard ones necessary for that one gig?
Sorry, I didn't make myself clear...I'll definitely know the songs for the gig. My goal is to know them all by Tuesday.
Old 12-08-2017, 01:33 AM   #3246

Just saw the national tour of A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder tonight at the local university. A lighthearted, funny musical set in turn of the century London. Especially enjoyed the musical numbers and the stage design. Met someone I had worked with in the lobby and they commented that I must be enjoying retirement since I'm now free to go to the theater on a week night. Yes indeedy!
Old 12-08-2017, 03:03 PM   #3247

More band stuff...I got a call earlier today from someone who was given my name from a mutual contact as a potential bass player for their band. This band will be doing mostly 60's music and has some solid musicians including a sax player, which I think is great. One of my other bands has a part time sax player and that allows us to play a lot of good songs we otherwise wouldn't bother trying.

The fellow I talked to seemed normal, so I said that I'd come out to an audition to see how it goes. Of course, I'm auditioning them too...there are a lot of flaky musicians out there...present company excluded, of course

So, now I have another set list to work on...there are 40 songs on this one, and about 25 that I've never played.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:17 PM   #3248
Give me a forum ...

Today's a gym day but we played hookey. Instead we went to the Springs, for a nice outdoor soak in 37F! There were chunks of ice floating in the river!

Brilliant sunny day, with steam coming from the springs. After a couple of hours in 104F water I'm pretty relaxed.

I was talking with a fellow about jumping in the river when it's cold. When I've done it the river was up, only one step and your chest deep. Today it's down, this fellow worked hard to get up the nerve to submerge himself. He said it was great.
Old 12-08-2017, 03:37 PM   #3249

So far it's been a very good week. Got together with my closest friend on Tuesday for lunch - we live on different coasts and only see each other a couple times a year. Then today DW and I took DM out to lunch to celebrate her 90th. Life is good.
Old 12-08-2017, 10:21 PM   #3250

Still bowing hunting and made venison jerky. it will be done tomorrow can't wait to taste it. I love it in the winter to take hiking and ice fishing.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:25 AM   #3251
Recycles dryer sheets

After several attempts at talking to the MetLife Customer Service people, yesterday I spent time with a MassMutual agent (as an agent for MetLife), trying to convert my old MetLife policy into a small retirement income stream. It seems that ML customer service people can only offer to cash out my policy and have me purchase an annuity. My policy allows several options, one being a minimum guaranteed benefit amount which none of the customer service people can, or choose to see. The difference between the an annuity and the policy numbers, both being lifetime income with 10 yrs certain, is ~$500 per year. Not that $500 will make a difference, it is the principle of the thing. I paid premiums per the policy contract for 44 years. I now want them to (will get them to) honor the terms of the contract. I don't want to give that to MetLife just because they can't read or can't see my contract.

Thru the agent's ML help line, we started an inquiry. A settlement analyst at ML is going to research my policy and determine what they think the monthly benefit is going to be. My MassMutual person agrees with my analysis but says she gives ML a 40-50% chance of coming back with the correct numbers on the 1st pass. She has seen this before.

They have 10 days to respond.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:54 AM   #3252
Administrator

What did I do today? Well, yesterday anyway?

LAUNDRY.

Even retirees have to do....laundry.
Even people living in New Orleans, "the city that care forgot", have to do....laundry.
And even after 8 years of a booming market, with sky high portfolio balances that we never expected, we all still need to do....laundry.

OK, got that taken care of. And it was snowing yesterday so (not knowing how to drive in it) I was going to stay home anyway. Great day for doing laundry I suppose.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 03:44 PM   #3253

Went to a bowl turning seminar at a woodworking store - and left with a bunch of new tools.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:27 PM   #3254
Administrator

Made 8 pounds of hot Italian sausage.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:34 PM   #3255
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRLLS View Post
After several attempts at talking to the MetLife Customer Service people, yesterday I spent time with a MassMutual agent (as an agent for MetLife), trying to convert my old MetLife policy into a small retirement income stream. It seems that ML customer service people can only offer to cash out my policy and have me purchase an annuity. My policy allows several options, one being a minimum guaranteed benefit amount which none of the customer service people can, or choose to see. The difference between the an annuity and the policy numbers, both being lifetime income with 10 yrs certain, is ~$500 per year. Not that $500 will make a difference, it is the principle of the thing. I paid premiums per the policy contract for 44 years. I now want them to (will get them to) honor the terms of the contract. I don't want to give that to MetLife just because they can't read or can't see my contract.

Thru the agent's ML help line, we started an inquiry. A settlement analyst at ML is going to research my policy and determine what they think the monthly benefit is going to be. My MassMutual person agrees with my analysis but says she gives ML a 40-50% chance of coming back with the correct numbers on the 1st pass. She has seen this before.

They have 10 days to respond.
Do you have the original paper policy?

They've probably lost the paper and the image that's supposed to represent the paper.

Your paper may be worth much more than their lost data.
Old 12-09-2017, 05:48 PM   #3256
Recycles dryer sheets

I started the day with an hour long weightlifting class; came home and made a delicious polenta dish with chicken Italian sausage; went for a haircut; shopped at a friend's artist co-op; bought two pair of earrings; went to the library and picked up a 3D printed ornament that I made last Monday; shopped at the Irish store and stocked up on black and white pudding and bangers for Christmas breakfast; bought and set up a real Christmas tree; caught up on tv shows that I was behind on.
Doribe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:26 PM   #3257
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Do you have the original paper policy?

They've probably lost the paper and the image that's supposed to represent the paper.

Your paper may be worth much more than their lost data.
I do I'll give them copies if necessary. Never the originals. The number of companies that MetLife has partially sold off to scared me. Brighthouse, and MassMutual are part of the selloff. But MetLife still operates (and collects my premiums).

I bought a different term life policy 10 yrs ago. At that time, the agent who sold me that one looked at this policy. He said I was mistaken. That's not how they settle policies nowadays. I said "But the policy says..... It's a legal contract." He said I was reading it wrong.

This agent I'm dealing with now says I am reading the policy correct. MetLife hasn't written guaranteed payouts in policies for many years. A lot of agents haven't seen one like this. They screwed another client a few weeks back according to this agent. They gave him a song and dance why he was wrong. In that case, he was in financial bind and took their low 1st offer. I am hopeful, but also prepared for an offer of lower payouts. I will not budge.
Old 12-09-2017, 10:13 PM   #3258

Stood the benches in the tub on their struts and sat on them all. Good thing too. They tell you to do this so you will know if they are too tall / short. I'm tall and so is Kelly so I will cut to size and install tomorrow.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:27 AM   #3259
Give me a forum ...

I played a solo piano gig last night at a chamber of commerce Christmas party. I haven't been playing much, and not gigging at all, so I was a bit worried (I only had nine days to rehab my playing), but it went well. The place has a wonderful Steinway that had once been owned by Ira Gershwin--built in 1929.

Here I am with Lena:

Old 12-10-2017, 10:09 AM   #3260
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Nice looking couple...

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote