Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 04:36 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I just got back from dropping the kid's camp Jeep off at the 4WD shop. The shop owner has collected all the parts (which he solicited from his suppliers) necessary to make it a real off road machine. It will be used to ferry sleeping bags, tents, food and cooking equipment for back country campers. I'm also going to try to get it used for local parades, etc.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2017, 04:37 PM   #62

First official day of retirement - went and had my annual physical this morning.
Old 01-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #63
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
Do you get sheet music, or pickmit out by ear, or find youtube instruction or what?
For most songs, I learn by ear. For Baker Street and found someone on YouTube, but once I got the changes down I fine tuned it by playing along to the recording.

Quote:
I came across this yesterday and it made me want to never play again (Ill never be that good or that happy)

Ah...to be young again!! I'm going to have to give that song a try...there are a couple tricky parts, but I should be able to handle it.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #64
Give me a forum ...

wmc1000 >>> good for you! Congrat

I moved more snow and raked it off my roof again. This has been the 3 time I had to remove snow from the roof. I'm running out of room to put snow. lol
Old 01-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #65
Full time employment: Posting here.

Happy New Year!

Today we slept in, then went to AAA to get our international driving permits for our upcoming trip to Spain. I had coffee with a friend, and picked up some pre-made dinner to microwave cause I'm feeling lazy.

I switched to half-time work last year, and dropped down to just one-day-per-month recently. It's been incredible so far. I swear ER is worth it for the sleep alone....

SIS
Old 01-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #66
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmc1000 View Post
First official day of retirement - went and had my annual physical this morning.
Congrats! You're gonna do something more fun tomorrow, right?
Old 01-03-2017, 08:00 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
I just got back from dropping the kid's camp Jeep off at the 4WD shop. The shop owner has collected all the parts (which he solicited from his suppliers) necessary to make it a real off road machine. It will be used to ferry sleeping bags, tents, food and cooking equipment for back country campers. I'm also going to try to get it used for local parades, etc.
Pics when you are done?
Old 01-03-2017, 08:10 PM   #68
Moderator Emeritus

Still recall the taste of those back eyed peas from the other day - they still taste like dirt to me.

Got the SUV inspected for the annual sticker. Got it washed as it was 80 F here today. Played with the dog, took down Xmas decorations. Worked on taxes.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:11 PM   #69

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Pics when you are done?
Hope to have before and after pics. I'll post them then.
Old 01-03-2017, 08:12 PM   #70
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
Pics when you are done?
+1
Old 01-04-2017, 07:11 AM   #71
Dryer sheet wannabe

Today: Correspondance, some bills, Gym, Tai Chi, 1 hour lecture for continuing ed, pack, and leave for Flagstaff. Little bit of housework/decluttering.

Newly retired, feels weird. I am liking the slower pace. Am realizing how fatigued I am--I suppose this is normal.

Nice to meet y'all

Pedi
Old 01-04-2017, 07:37 AM   #72

Thanks all for the congrats! Today I am going to spend a few days with my dad - lives 300 mi. away in MI. DW will stay home and watch 1 of our grandkids.
Old 01-04-2017, 09:35 AM   #73

Yesterday DS and I tackled the big project I had lined up for him while he's in town - replacing nearly all of the lightbulbs in the house with LEDs. It's hard for me to do ceiling fixture lightbulbs on my own, so I figured this would head off future frustration. One bulb is stuck in a vaulted ceiling fixture, so that will go on the list when we have an electrician come out for other stuff. Best results: replacing the recessed can lights in the kitchen with the LED retrofit kit - so much brighter and better looking to boot (I got the Cree 100W kits which seem to be much easier to install than most - flip out levers rather than springy gadget to hold them in place). Also put 100W LEDs in the master closet - can actually tell black socks from blue now! We have a few more to finish up today - just in time as DS heads back to grad school in the morning.
Old 01-04-2017, 10:24 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Do you get sheet music, or pickmit out by ear, or find youtube instruction or what?

I came across this yesterday and it made me want to never play again (Ill never be that good or that happy)...
With practice and attitude adjustment, you can be. However, you will never be that young again.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 01-04-2017, 12:59 PM   #75

I noticed that my SiriusXM subscription was due to renew in a few days, and I remembered that someone here said you should never pay their regular rate.

So I called them and said I wanted to cancel because it wasn't worth that much money to me.

I had the Mostly Music program (80 channels) which would have renewed at $132 plus fees and taxes. They offered me the Select program (140 channels) for $99 plus the same fees and taxes. I accepted.

I'm sure some here could have done even better, but I'm happy.
Old 01-04-2017, 03:48 PM   #76

Gym day, and on the way to the grocery afterwards, on impulse we decided to have a late (2:30) lunch at a new Chili's restaurant on the way. At normal meal times the parking lot is always packed, we'd never been in that chain, and were meaning to try it in the off hours since we don't like crowds.

It was okay but we both thought it overpriced for what we got. The music was too loud and my meal was served just barely warm enough to be acceptable. We won't go back.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:17 PM   #77

I slept late for me, so had to hurry a bit when I got up at 6:30. I had my coffee and a shower, then did my once a week stop at my son's shop to switch out some of the part time work I do for him.

Then I headed right to 9:00 yoga, which was lovely and met a friend for lunch. She works full time, so I pick her up at the door and drop her off.

In between I dropped an eBay package at the post office. I have cleaned out lots of my house this way and I also sell a few things for friends. Great travel spending money!

Relaxing at home with my hubby now, meatloaf in the oven and a nice glass of Chardonnay by my side.

This is the only board I have found where you could write this!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:38 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
With practice and attitude adjustment, you can be. However, you will never be that young again.
Yeah, maybe the combination of a flawless performance from an apparently joy-filled youngster was too much for my curmudgeonly mood yesterday. You're right, if I set my mind to it, I could probably get most of the way there on everything but the youth.
Old 01-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #79
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Gym day, and on the way to the grocery afterwards, on impulse we decided to have a late (2:30) lunch at a new Chili's restaurant on the way. At normal meal times the parking lot is always packed, we'd never been in that chain, and were meaning to try it in the off hours since we don't like crowds.

It was okay but we both thought it overpriced for what we got. The music was too loud and my meal was served just barely warm enough to be acceptable. We won't go back.
Walt, I don't like Chili's either. It's too expensive and I don't like the food plus I think it is fattening. Haven't eaten there for at least 25 years, even though we have one just down the street.

We are waiting for the brakes on F's SUV to be repaired. I don't think they will finish today. Earlier we went to the dump to recycle some boxes. OK, this is probably not the most fascinating day ever, but being retired made it so nice.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 01-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #80

MBAustin - good work on the led changeover. DW and I did that also. One question, is there a reason you did the conversion kits as opposed to using standard screw in led bulbs? I only ask because we just changed the bulbs from regular incandescents to screw in led floods.
Closed Thread