Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-07-2017, 09:32 AM   #121
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks! I'll post the progress.

You should post a picture of the older VW's.

This is, I think, the first year of the SB. It has the better front suspension, a flat windshield, flat dash, horizontal spare tire storage and has a dual port 1600 CC engine with a Solex 34 PICT -3 carb.

If my memory serves me right, I had a 74 SB in the early 1980's when my youngest was born. I had several 60's Beetles "way back when" and a 1970 VW Bus for a while too.
But were there flowers painted on it??

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-07-2017, 09:35 AM   #122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
But were there flowers painted on it??
"Travelling in a fried-out Kombi, on a hippie trail, head full of zombie."?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:00 AM   #123
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
Nice! My VWs are bit older, a '57 and a '51. Those Supers are good drivers though, although if fuel injected, they can be pretty finicky.
We had a fuel injected one. Bad evil, best thing to happen was when it blew up and was replaced with a carb model.
Old 01-07-2017, 10:11 AM   #124
Administrator

What did you do today? 2017 version

Last night I cut my future cell phone bills by more than half and got a free phone, by switching from Verizon to Cricket (after 17 years with Verizon). Cricket is not the cheapest service out there, but it is cheap enough and it seems like the best match for me overall.

Bored in retirement? Not me. There's always something new going on.

― B. Lee

W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017, 10:33 AM   #125
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Went to the Pampered Pallet for breakfast yesterday. 2.7 km walk one way. Fabulous meal for 90 pesos with smoothie and tip.

Last night a friend's place for dinner. Amazing veal (not chops), Broiled bacon wrapped asparagus, double baked potatoes. Baileys after dinner. Planning for next Europe trip.
Old 01-07-2017, 11:22 AM   #126

We went through a bunch of old file folders and threw out/shredded several year's accumulation of paperwork and files. DW keeps a lot of stuff during the year and then moves it to a downstairs cabinet. This was the year to go through it and clear out the oldest stuff.
Old 01-07-2017, 02:52 PM   #127
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks! I'll post the progress.

You should post a picture of the older VW's.

This is, I think, the first year of the SB. It has the better front suspension, a flat windshield, flat dash, horizontal spare tire storage and has a dual port 1600 CC engine with a Solex 34 PICT -3 carb.

If my memory serves me right, I had a 74 SB in the early 1980's when my youngest was born. I had several 60's Beetles "way back when" and a 1970 VW Bus for a while too.
My '57 and a 1950 Sunroof that I had for 10 years but sold a few years ago.

Old 01-07-2017, 03:18 PM   #128
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Thirty-some years ago the then-wife and I had two dogs and I worked rotating shift work. The dogs knew better than to wake me up when I was sleeping during the day - I got grouchy with them. But if I was half-asleep, I could hear one or both come into the bedroom and rest a chin on the side of the bed and stare for a moment. If I kept my eyes closed and breathing even, I'd hear long sigh and they'd pad out of the bedroom. But if I so much as cracked an eyelid they were all over jumping around (they weren't allowed to actually get on the bed) in effect saying "Okay, you're awake, time to get up and let us outside!"

One has to be a dog owner to appreciate the humor in this.
I'm a dog lover, so I understand.

Ours used to be up early, but has now learned to wait until 7:00am, when I usually get up. She goes outside, does her thing, and then back to bed with mommy while I have my coffee and read the news. (Yeah, we let her on the bed)
Old 01-07-2017, 04:16 PM   #129

I tried out a new bass teacher today...this was the third teacher I have "auditioned" in the last few weeks.

The first one was a guitar player who also teaches bass...nope, that doesn't work as they are different instruments and require different approaches. I've been playing for a long time and already "know" how to play...I'm looking for advanced lessons and technical instruction that most guitarists can't offer.

The second teacher was okay, but it's a 50-55 minute commute each way and they only offer a half hour lesson once a week...that's too much driving for a 30 minute lesson.

Today I found the right teacher. He's been playing a long time, has a music degree, and is proficient and technically sound. The school also offers a 1 hour lesson bi-weekly, which is my preference, and the commute is only 20 minutes each way. As I was leaving he commented that it will be nice for him to have an advanced student for a change as the majority of his students are beginners.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:41 PM   #130
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
I tried out a new bass teacher today...this was the third teacher I have "auditioned" in the last few weeks.

The first one was a guitar player who also teaches bass...nope, that doesn't work as they are different instruments and require different approaches. I've been playing for a long time and already "know" how to play...I'm looking for advanced lessons and technical instruction that most guitarists can't offer.

The second teacher was okay, but it's a 50-55 minute commute each way and they only offer a half hour lesson once a week...that's too much driving for a 30 minute lesson.

Today I found the right teacher. He's been playing a long time, has a music degree, and is proficient and technically sound. The school also offers a 1 hour lesson bi-weekly, which is my preference, and the commute is only 20 minutes each way. As I was leaving he commented that it will be nice for him to have an advanced student for a change as the majority of his students are beginners.
Reminded me of this:

Old 01-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #131

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
That's hilarious.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:40 PM   #132

Today turned out to be quite successful. I could not find my sunglasses for the trip to church this morning. After I got back from church I did a concerted effort to find the battery minder that I had been looking for for a while. I wanted to get the sports car battery hooked up because it probably will not be out again until spring. Not only did I find the battery minder but also found the sunglasses. The sunglasses were in the sports car and the battery minder was right where I left it. The sports car now has the battery minder hooked up, the sunglases are back in the Jeep where they belong, and all is well.
Old 01-08-2017, 04:45 PM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Today turned out to be quite successful. I could not find my sunglasses for the trip to church this morning. After I got back from church I did a concerted effort to find the battery minder that I had been looking for for a while. I wanted to get the sports car battery hooked up because it probably will not be out again until spring. Not only did I find the battery minder but also found the sunglasses. The sunglasses were in the sports car and the battery minder was right where I left it. The sports car now has the battery minder hooked up, the sunglases are back in the Jeep where they belong, and all is well.

Funny and familiar. When I "lose" something in the shop (usually a tool or part that I just had in my hands) I make myself do this: I stop whatever I was doing, forget about that project task, and start at one end of the work bench start clearing it, putting stuff away *where it belongs*. Just clean up the entire bench space. It has NEVER failed me, I always find the thing that I lost and the side benefit is I at least get some of the bench cleared off.....!
Old 01-08-2017, 05:06 PM   #134

After ignoring it for over a week, I finally did the 3rd coat of drywall mud in the basement. A pro would now be done after 3 coats, but I'm not a pro It probably needs 1 more coat to get 95% done, then hopefully just some touch-ups before painting.

Spent an hour practicing scales and modes on bass...although I know the theory well enough, I've never really done the reps to ingrain the patterns in my mind and develop the muscle memory. For years I've just learned how to play the songs and left it at that.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:21 PM   #135

Quote:
Originally Posted by Music Lover View Post
After ignoring it for over a week, I finally did the 3rd coat of drywall mud in the basement. A pro would now be done after 3 coats, but I'm not a pro It probably needs 1 more coat to get 95% done, then hopefully just some touch-ups before painting.

Spent an hour practicing scales and modes on bass...although I know the theory well enough, I've never really done the reps to ingrain the patterns in my mind and develop the muscle memory. For years I've just learned how to play the songs and left it at that.
When I do mud on what will be a flat wall with no texture, I shine a flashlight along the wall with the flashlight touching the wall. When the light is shined over the areas with mud, all imperfections show up. Then I work the imperfections out. It takes more time, but you wind up with a very flat surface.
Old 01-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #136

Quote:
When I do mud on what will be a flat wall with no texture, I shine a flashlight along the wall with the flashlight touching the wall. When the light is shined over the areas with mud, all imperfections show up. Then I work the imperfections out. It takes more time, but you wind up with a very flat surface.
I have one of those 500w halogen work lights...you can't hide any flaws from that sucker. I've also learned that it's also not a good idea to look directly at the bulb
Old 01-08-2017, 06:19 PM   #137

Installed an LED outdoor wall sconce to replace a big ugly and heavy mercury vapor in the backyard. Made a itty-bitty corner shelf of maple to put my oculus rift sensor on. Did some tax stuff and got me a nice prime ribeye for supper tonight.

Now drinking a rum & coke.
Old 01-08-2017, 06:24 PM   #138
Full time employment: Posting here.

I was going to get so many things done today, and then public television ran a Masterpiece Classic marathon . . .
Old 01-08-2017, 07:06 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Epiphany Now that we redid all the Farmhouse dripping faucets and replaced old pipe with PEX the water freezes below zero Fahrenheit.

So got out an old leaky which I saved and drive up and reinstall tomorrow afternoon when the temp goes above freezing.

heh heh heh - may crawl under come Spring and install some heat tape. Shoulda let it leak - the water bill wasn't 'that' bad. It was nice that the temp warm up has held til after the playoff games this weekend.
Old 01-08-2017, 07:20 PM   #140

Went to see "Hidden Figures" this afternoon with a group of friends. We all enjoyed it very much and hope that lots of younger folks will get a small glimpse into some of the *$^@ that women and people of color endured not so long ago. As an aside, the actor who plays John Glenn was a HS classmate of DD (which I didn't realize until I saw the credits and recognized his name).

Came home to find the crockpot of vegetable beef soup ready to serve for dinner. Great timing!

MBAustin is offline   Reply With Quote

« Class of 2017 | - »