Not open for further replies.
Expensive day here too, paid:

2288 balance on Australia trip
639 Clark Pest Control (pd 12 months)
1546 property tax
100 oil change

:(

Last edited:
We are hunkering down due to the fires in our area. Last night the fire was 50 acres, and now it is 50,000 acres.
We are watching the devastation on TV, figuring if we will have to evacuate.
The winds have been blowing 40 to 60 knots pushing embers a mile or more.
With the winds, the fire department cannot launch either fixed wing or helis to help.

My in-laws live in downtown Ventura. They are just a few blocks south of the mandatory evacuation zone. DW is on the phone with them now and they are packed and ready. It's a heckuva fast moving fire.

Hope things end up okay for you.

We are hunkering down due to the fires in our area. Last night the fire was 50 acres, and now it is 50,000 acres.
We are watching the devastation on TV, figuring if we will have to evacuate.
The winds have been blowing 40 to 60 knots pushing embers a mile or more.
With the winds, the fire department cannot launch either fixed wing or helis to help.

Good luck. Forum members will be thinking of you, hoping the fires stay away from your home, and most of all hoping you and your DW remain safe.

Might be a good time to think of a fun destination near home but out of the fire zone, and just GO there, pronto, to play it safe. If the fires don't affect your home, then you can enjoy the destination and return after they are gone.

Yesterday was one of those really nice retirement days. Oil change on one car at local shop, he pointed out that my inspection had run out in August so needed to be done. Turned out I needed a West Virginia repair on my bumper which had a hole from an encounter with someone else's trailer hitch some months ago. Seems that the bumper isn't allowed to have any sharp edges. Went across the street and bought a $9 roll of duct tape to seal the hole, passed the inspection.

Spent the afternoon in the workshop, made a box and turned a couple of pens. Then made chicken Parmesan for dinner and an early night after a couple of tv shows. Ahhh, retirement.

Attachments

• IMG_0864.jpg
    IMG_0864.jpg
    584.8 KB · Views: 31
Today I won play tickets in a contest, we went to a comedy show and on the drive there I saw a meteor in the night sky, so it was a pretty nice retirement day.

Last edited:
One thing leads to another...

I had ordered new dinnerware on Black Friday, because DD2 mentioned the sorry state of our dinnerware while visiting. It arrived yesterday and I ran it through the dishwasher overnight. This set is heavier than the old stuff, and the shelves in the cabinet sagged noticeably when I put the dishes away.

My solution was to flip the shelves. But while removing the shelves, I broke two of the plastic clips. The broken pieces stayed lodged in the holes (of course). So my simple project of putting new dishes away became:

- drill out the broken plastic pegs
- drive to Home Depot for new shelf clips. Endure the sexist HD associate who evidently believes that unattended females are not capable of installing shelf clips [emoji19]
- clean the shelves, flip them over (there’s about 1/4” bow after ~28 yrs), put everything away
- since I’m up there with tools, adjust the cabinet doors to be level and meet properly (at some point they’d gone off kilter)

That, my friends, is how unloading the dishwasher can take two hours.

It is a cold day today, so inside stuff today. I have been using an old laptop forever. It is very slow and clunky and runs Windows 7. I found out I could load another copy of Quicken 2016 on my desktop, so now I am trying to move over to the desktop. I am up and running with Quicken and now I get to learn to use Windows 10. I also need to move the files I use most over. What fun!

Yep, lousy weather here, too - also leading to computer replacement activities.

Just ordered a new Dell desktop when I ran across this $299 bargain. My current Lenovo desktop is 7 years old and runs W7. It failed two attempts to load W10 and has flashed the 'blue screen of death' three times in the past couple of months. My computing needs are pretty simple so when this basic but decent (i3 with 8Gb ram) popped up I jumped on it. Merry Christmas to me!

Got a call from a friend to fill in for their bass player for a gig in early January when their regular bassist will be out of the country. He sent me their set list of 38 songs and I took a look at them and separated them into groups.

- I already know how to play 14 of them
- 12 fall into the "easy" category and can be learned in a few minutes each
- 8 of them are medium difficulty, will take between 30 minutes to an hour each to learn
- 4 of them are hard and will require a fair bit of work...and 1 of the 4 will definitely test my abilities to the limit

I put about 3 hours into it and learned 9 of the easy ones and 2 of the medium ones. They're rehearsing Tuesday next week and I'm hoping to know all 38 songs even though it's not required or expected so soon. Realistically, I should be up to speed on all but a couple of the hard ones.

It's definitely a pleasure having the free time that retirement provides to practice and learn songs.

Lousy weather here too. About 30°F sunny, only a few clouds. Next couple of weeks look like 50°F highs and sunny. NO snow in sight, which isn't great. The sunset tonight was spectacular, bouncing off the mountains for 360°.

We had our two little dogs groomed today. The house was too quite, and it bothered DW. I went to the vets and picked up a medication for the one dog. His bloodwork suggests he may have Cushings disease, so after 3-4 months of medication, we need to have his bloodwork done again.

I'm not so sure of Cushings. Everything I read suggests that the acid test for Cushings is his food and water consumption. I'm starting to put metrics around how much he drinks. His food consumption is pretty close to his housemate, water is more subjective as it's a common supply. He has some other physical symptoms, distended belly, but he's had that as a puppy.

We really love our dogs, but I'm not sure if our new vet understands they don't have insurance. The dog suspected of having Cushings is 11. Last time he was in the vet suggested he had early cataracts and they could fix them. I told her then, his insurance sucks.

Yeah, lousy weather here too (j/k). It was around 82, with 80% humidity. I repaired our wooden gate, which had been wrenched off and bent during Hurricane Irma. We've been here in FL for about a week, and up to now I'd been holding the gate in place (to keep the dogs in) with bungee cords. It was a quick(ish) and dirty repair requiring removing the gate, bending the frame to fit the new dimensions between the posts, sawing off some of the gate to make it fit the opening, then putting it back up. At some point I'll probably have to build a new one, but as DW is talking about replacing the whole fence maybe I'll just wait.

Speaking of waiting, we also completed the paperwork for the contract to get a new roof on. We had gotten a quote for it last May before we went back up north, but that had expired after 3 months. Now, for the same job the quote is ~$2K more (15% increase). According to the roofer, materials (cement tiles) have gone up significantly, plus he has had to increase his workers pay to keep them from being poached by the other companies that have popped up since the hurricane. He's a decent guy, and I believe him, especially on the materials price. I checked them at a supplier, and they are definitely more than they were last year. Delaying costly repairs has saved me money in the past. This time I lost the bet. Que sera sera.

In that I've been retired for almost a year I asked a new-2-me Schwab rep to take a look at my portfolio and let me know if I was still on target to remain retired. There were few good points that she brought up, such as taking a look at behavioral economics and building a bigger slush fund, but she wound up at the end explaining that I could always go back to work if needs be and that perhaps that work could be more loosely defined then the traditional job I held. I left her office wondering if I really am in danger of running out of money, but I don't think so. Despite what she said I think I'm fine. Looking at the last 11 months, I had planned on saving 40% of my income. But I only wound up saving $1,000 a month. So I'm pretty sure I could build up a slush fund rapidly -- I'm just wondering why I need to concentrate on that.

Then I went to lunch with some friends. I'm convinced that I'm better off than most of them and they're all retired but without pensions. I will have SSA in 3.5 years and I do have a pension with health insurance. Both the SSA & pension have a COLA

Went home / Clark Pest Control caught the gopher / looked at my portfolio again and really doubt I'll have to return to work

Last edited:
Yeah, lousy weather here too (j/k). It was around 82, with 80% humidity. I repaired our wooden gate, which had been wrenched off and bent during Hurricane Irma. ...

It was -4 this morning, but, then again, I don't think I have ever seen a hurricane in these parts. Just sayin...

Got a call from a friend to fill in for their bass player for a gig in early January when their regular bassist will be out of the country. He sent me their set list of 38 songs and I took a look at them and separated them into groups.

- I already know how to play 14 of them
- 12 fall into the "easy" category and can be learned in a few minutes each
- 8 of them are medium difficulty, will take between 30 minutes to an hour each to learn
- 4 of them are hard and will require a fair bit of work...and 1 of the 4 will definitely test my abilities to the limit

I put about 3 hours into it and learned 9 of the easy ones and 2 of the medium ones. They're rehearsing Tuesday next week and I'm hoping to know all 38 songs even though it's not required or expected so soon. Realistically, I should be up to speed on all but a couple of the hard ones.

It's definitely a pleasure having the free time that retirement provides to practice and learn songs.

Are the 4 hard ones necessary for that one gig?

Just saw the national tour of A Gentleman's Guide to Love and Murder tonight at the local university. A lighthearted, funny musical set in turn of the century London. Especially enjoyed the musical numbers and the stage design. Met someone I had worked with in the lobby and they commented that I must be enjoying retirement since I'm now free to go to the theater on a week night. Yes indeedy! :)

More band stuff...I got a call earlier today from someone who was given my name from a mutual contact as a potential bass player for their band. This band will be doing mostly 60's music and has some solid musicians including a sax player, which I think is great. One of my other bands has a part time sax player and that allows us to play a lot of good songs we otherwise wouldn't bother trying.

The fellow I talked to seemed normal, so I said that I'd come out to an audition to see how it goes. Of course, I'm auditioning them too...there are a lot of flaky musicians out there...present company excluded, of course :LOL:

So, now I have another set list to work on...there are 40 songs on this one, and about 25 that I've never played.

Today's a gym day but we played hookey. Instead we went to the Springs, for a nice outdoor soak in 37°F! There were chunks of ice floating in the river!

Brilliant sunny day, with steam coming from the springs. After a couple of hours in 104°F water I'm pretty relaxed.

I was talking with a fellow about jumping in the river when it's cold. When I've done it the river was up, only one step and your chest deep. Today it's down, this fellow worked hard to get up the nerve to submerge himself. He said it was great.

So far it's been a very good week. Got together with my closest friend on Tuesday for lunch - we live on different coasts and only see each other a couple times a year. Then today DW and I took DM out to lunch to celebrate her 90th. Life is good.

Still bowing hunting and made venison jerky. it will be done tomorrow can't wait to taste it. I love it in the winter to take hiking and ice fishing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom