What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
38179826585_f827dabd56_o.jpg

My homebrewed BMS consists of 16 cell monitor nodes, linked via a common serial bus to a master CPU. The firmware for the node prototype is about as final as I can think of. So, I started to replicate the hardware until I get 16.

Built two more nodes today, for a total of 4. If I work long hours, may be able to do 3 a day.

When I started using surface mount devices 25 years ago, 1206-size components looked very small. And then, as I moved down to 0603 size, the 1206 parts felt humongous and took a lot of space. Now, they fell small again due to poorer eyesight and unsteady hands. Still, not all guys my age can do this, so I feel pretty good.

My homebrewed BMS consists of 16 cell monitor nodes, linked via a common serial bus to a master CPU. The firmware for the node prototype is about as final as I can think of. So, I started to replicate the hardware until I get 16.

Built two more nodes today, for a total of 4. If I work long hours, may be able to do 3 a day.

When I started using surface mount devices 25 years ago, 1206-size components looked very small. And then, as I moved down to 0603 size, the 1206 parts felt humongous and took a lot of space. Now, they fell small again due to poorer eyesight and unsteady hands. Still, not all guys my age can do this, so I feel pretty good.

Not only can I not do that, I don't have a clue what you are talking about! :facepalm:

Whoa. That's impressive at any age. I've only seen SM machines that place the components -- never a person. :blink:

Oops, sorry that not everyone here is an EE. Well, I don't know what you all did for a living, so forgive me.

Forget the mumbo-jumbo about what I build. But I can show how small these things are.

Here's a picture showing what an 0805, 0603, and 0402 capacitor or resistor looks like. There's no 1206 in the photo.

I worked with these when building prototypes. In production, of course they use pick-and-place machines. When I started with these 25 years ago, tiny components were a novelty and expensive. Not so anymore. Now leaded components are more expensive, and sometimes impossible to get.

6415017.jpg

Oops, sorry that not everyone here is an EE. Well, I don't know what you all did for a living, so forgive me.

Forget the mumbo-jumbo about what I build. But I can show how small these things are.

Here's a picture showing what an 0805, 0603, and 0402 capacitor or resistor looks like. There's no 1206 in the photo.

I worked with these when building prototypes. In production, of course they use pick-and-place machines. When I started with these 25 years ago, tiny components were a novelty and expensive. Not so anymore. Now leaded components are more expensive, and sometimes impossible to get.

6415017.jpg

So what are you building:confused:?

6415017.jpg

Well, when I started in electronics, the high tech stuff was hybrid tubes and transistors. :LOL: Am I dating myself? :confused:

DH says 2 thumbs up NW Bound. He's an EE and he doesn't know anyone who has messed around/worked with surface mount components without using a machine.

Had a Comcast tech guy come to the house and replace the cable box. DW, who is the only one who watches TV here, was complaining that one channel had no sound, several others had heavily distorted sound, and one channel would often switch from English to some foreign language. So I called Comcast yesterday ~1:00 PM and after getting past their stupid voice recognition system, was astonished at what happened next. There was no waiting on hold and the CSR picked up on the first ring. After jumping through some more hoops (disconnect power for 30 seconds, pull the coax out, etc.) she offered to have a tech guy come out today, one day after the call and offered a series of two-hour "windows" of time. And the guy actually showed up when promised and fixed the problem!

Is this a fluke, did the proper stars get into alignment to make this happen? Will it ever happen again? I dunno, but I was impressed.

I also took back some fleece lined jeans I had ordered from Walmart, or took them to the post office to mail them back. Small post office, only two people in line. It turns out that "relaxed fit" jeans look terrible on me so I'll wait until the regular ones are back in stock.

"relaxed fit" jeans look terrible on me so I'll wait until the regular ones are back in stock.

Do they make "Tense fit" jeans? Enquiring minds, an' all that.

DH says 2 thumbs up NW Bound. He's an EE and he doesn't know anyone who has messed around/worked with surface mount components without using a machine.
I need to clarify. The passive components are fairly easy to do, down to 0805. At 0603, it's getting tricky, but doable.

A chip with pin spacing of 50 mil is piece of cake. The SO-8 and SO-14 packages in the photo below have 50-mil pin spacing. I can do that with my eyes closed. Just kidding, but they are sooo easy. The problem is not too many devices use that anymore. Too big!

SMDsizes.jpg

Half of that, at 25 mil spacing is still not too hard, just takes a little more care. Halve that again, and at 12.5 mil, it is mighty tough.

My son works on the latest microelectronics, the stuff that goes into current smartphones. He told me things that boggle the mind. The unit they use is micron, and that's not for internal chip line resolution but for the packages that need to be soldered.

Passive components at 0402 are very tough to do by hand. Now, they use down to 0201 and 01005. Man, that's a speck of dust.

0924_img0003.ashx

I'm currently working on a large SM board design (yup, I'm an EE) so, I know what you mean.
I do my own breadboarding a lot and often work with 0402 parts, although I hate it.
My board has a bunch of 0201 caps but, I can't work with those. Too old ... eyesight too bad ... too much coffee in the morning!
I like 1206 or even 0603 parts.

Today I smoked a turkey and two chicken breasts. I love smoked meats. It brings out the caveman in me.

I’m making myself scarce before I say something rude to DH. Here’s why:

DH does government contract work which requires him to fill out reports from our home desktop via a secure VPN client. That system has been acting up over the last few days. Whenever DH has computer problems, he comes to me because he doesn’t understand how computer things work so it’s easier to ask me to clean up the mess.

I can fix most things, because I have some basic understanding and use Google. But I’m not exactly sure how this VPN client needs to be configured, and technically I don’t have the security clearance to access it. Other than installing the recommended updates, I’m not going to poke around in there.

I just told DH to call the help desk. He’s not happy because I told him the same thing two days ago when he was having problems with this VPN. I couldn’t fix it two days ago and I can’t fix it now. I’m going out for a run!

I've gone down and had another round of chemicals in the root canal. Little irritated now I'm sure it's going to be fine.

Yesterday there's a package sent to our house. BIL SIL sent us 4 freaking pounds of Baklava. There's 48,600 calories in the box, almost a 14 pound weight gain for one! Better yet he's a dentist.

I'm looking for some place to gift 3 pounds, today's gym day, maybe they'd like a few pounds?

Went to dentist yesterday and doctor today. Optimum on both fronts. Now back to finishing the bathroom remodel, entertainment center doors, MIL cutting board and whatever else the boss has for me to do.

Yesterday there's a package sent to our house. BIL SIL sent us 4 freaking pounds of Baklava. There's 48,600 calories in the box, almost a 14 pound weight gain for one! Better yet he's a dentist.

Drumming up business, I guess. My teeth hurt just from thinking about that much baklava. Delicious stuff, but a little goes a long way. I would be with you: spread the joy around.

I spent most of the morning scanning and correcting the fade in some old family photos for DW. Today is the 4th anniversary of her father's passing and she wanted to send some photos out. Her mother passed in 1999. This is one of them, I think the photo was taken in the 1960's.

Attachments

• parents (2 of 2).jpg
    parents (2 of 2).jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 46
  • parents (9 of 13).jpg
    parents (9 of 13).jpg
    91 KB · Views: 48
Wow!!! I have had dreams like that..... :D But yeah, probably wise to give most of it away ASAP.
We took a pound to the gym, it was almost gone when we left! A neighbor brought over some Christmas cookies, we'll return their sweetness. We'll be back at the gym later.

Amazing thing though 4 pounds of Baklava could put 13.89 pounds on a human. That's some powerful stuff.

Had a great workout and then lunch at a local Mexican restaurant. Funny how DW didn't like the style of Mexican food in the area, a year later that was her pick.

Walt34 nice job. That's 1964 in my mind.

Built a cart DH designed for my kayak today. Finishing it up and taking it out for a test run tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom