What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just booked Airbnb reservatiions for February in Puerto Rico. We are going to the same condo in Carolina (on the beach not far from SJU) that we stayed in last March.

When we started thinking about our winter get away this year, we were not considering PR because of the hurricane damage. But we don’t need much, just the beach, a place to stay and some groceries. The host assures is we won’t have much hardship in Carolina.

We will be glad to contribute in at least a small way to the recovery (by spending money on the island). Unfortunately we won’t be able to make our hoped-for trip to El Yunque; it’s still closed to visitors.

Turned a very large pile of no longer needed bank statements, receipts etc etc etc into two two large rubbish bags full of shredded paper.

Very therapeutic.:cool:

Woke up pretty, early, and went to the LTC facility to say goodbye to my F-I-L. What a great man he was. Had several nice chats with B-I-Ls. We're waiting to go to funeral home, where it will be slightly more difficult than necessary. However, it will be an honor to go and help with the arrangements. Here's to all the great men who've passed in 2017.

Condolences on your loss.

Gym day today, since we skipped yesterday. Minor grocery run on the way home. A little bit of snow is forecast for tonight/tomorrow but around here an inch of snow is enough to mess things up so we plan to stay inside where retirees belong on snow days.

Flew a mother and her 4 year old son on an Angel Flight. I must have made a smooth landing because I had to wake them up after we parked the plane.:angel:

Wow, cleaned out twice in one day.
Good one TL!

Today I kegged about 6 gallons of a Duvel clone I brewed. I already "stole" some out of the fermenter a few days ago and force carbonated it. It's really good. Even did a side-by-side blind tasting with my whole family the other day and it came out as the preferred one by 1 "judge" (not me...I liked the real Duvel best, and I knew it by look, aroma, and taste). Mine is not the same as Duvel, but it's good, and similar enough. I'm glad to have 6 gallons of it!

Yesterday I made black bean soup . I make it every year with the leftover ham bone but this year it was the best .SO is raving about it .

We are spending a few days at our mountain house. It’s so nice and quiet. This morning I layered up and went for a walk in the 10 degrees F/ gentle snow. Since there was no wind it was a nice walk.

Once inside I took care of some tasks for the BOD I volunteer with. Then I just watched the snow fall in the woods.

I’m making split pea soup with the leftover ham bone from Christmas, in our big cast iron pot.

Yesterday I made black bean soup . I make it every year with the leftover ham bone but this year it was the best .SO is raving about it .
We made split pea with ours. I love a good soup on a cold day.

We went into the city for a concert last night to see the electronic rock band STS9 at the Warfield. Tonight we went to a comedy show at the Paramount in Oakland with Cedric the Entertainer headlining, though the warm up comedians were pretty funny as well.

What did I do?

Shoveled some snow, walked over 19k steps, ate a healthy meal - no, make that TWO healthy meals, and had an enjoyable experience.
Life is good.

We only had about an inch of snow yesterday, and it was very cold and powdery, so I used the leaf blower to clear my driveway and sidewalks. It worked well.

Yesterday we helped DS buy a car - a black 2014 Corolla S. Not what I would have chosen - a little too small and underpowered for my taste - but I think I did a pretty good job in expressing my opinion and then letting him decide. And Dad’s take is a very distant second when the car looks “sick.”::LOL:

Last edited:
Yesterday we helped DS buy a car - a black 2014 Corolla S. Not what I would have chosen - a little too small and underpowered for my taste - but I think I did a pretty good job in expressing my opinion and then letting him decide. And Dad’s take is a very distant take when the car looks “sick.”::LOL:

I loved my little Corolla! It was zippy enough for me and got great gas mileage—35-38 mpg.

We replaced that with my RAV4 so DH could enter / exit more easily.

I had posted the following elsewhere already but it is a good reminder to folks that live in northern climes that this is the time of year to check/replace your car battery... don't be like me !! :facepalm:

==========

In other car related matters, do remember to check and replace your battery as well. Had a lot of no fun this morning. We went out to the grocery store to get a few things for New Years. At the last moment, I decided to leave my cellphone behind because, hey, we're "only" going a few minutes away. It was -18C (-1F) this morning, by the by.

Well, you can imagine. Load the groceries and DW into the car, jam the key in and... nada. Bugger. Battery is clearly dead. Have to go back in the grocery store and ask to use the courtesy phone to call CAA because no cellphone. Yeahhhh... the wait time for a CAA agent on the phone is estimated at 30 minutes and service is estimated to be 2+ hours after that. Double bugger. Forget that. On the way back out to the car I managed to flag down a taxi and got a boost from him. $16 well spent.

Hit Crappy Tire on the way home to buy a new battery. The Rav4 is 5 years old so it was due for one anyway and the cold snap over the last couple of weeks clearly did it in. I was expecting to buy a cheap one in Georgia on our upcoming trip but Mother Nature clearly said nuts to that plan.

Moral being, check and replace before you are stranded at -18C.

I loved my little Corolla! It was zippy enough for me and got great gas mileage—35-38 mpg.

We replaced that with my RAV4 so DH could enter / exit more easily.

I agree that it is a great car for my son. Can’t beat Toyota reliability. But I am in your DH’s camp. I like something that is not so low to the ground and easier to get in and out of.

Walked on the beach this morning. Listening to my sons' piano lessons as I review the annual finances. Ordered Turbo Tax this morning.

Oh - and all this talk of split pea and black bean soup inspired me to put a pot of soup together... simmering up a big pot of chicken veggie soup. Cleared out the fridge of various leftovers into the soup.

In other car related matters, do remember to check and replace your battery as well.

In WV we have an annual vehicle inspection requirement and the guy I go to runs an honest shop so along with the inspection I ask him to do a battery load test if the battery is more than three years old. This practice has saved my butt several times. It adds I think ~$10 to the bill but I think it is worth it.

Or one could go to Autozone or someplace and get a battery tester there.

Yesterday we hosted my son and his fiance's wedding here at the house. About 30 people so it's been quite hectic around here the last week with preparations. Frigid outside but had a fireplace, the wood fired pizza oven, and a couple of heaters outside for the brave folks to stand around after the ceremony and to watch/help with me making 12 pizzas. This went with a crazy amount of other food and beverages. All went as planned, a nice day. Son and new DIL will be here until tomorrow before heading back to Oregon on Tuesday. Our other son, his wife, and two grandkids (4&7) are here as well so the household has been quite rambunctious to say the least. One more day!

It has been below zero here today in Iowa so it was an inside kind of day. I went to my folks' house and shoveled for them and then we went out to lunch. Then back home to stay warm and toasty. I did yoga with a DVD. My DH and I had a nice dinner with cocktails at home. Happy New Year!

Laid back day today. Didn't even take the dog on a walk. Temps dropping in the high teens tonight. Cold for my neck of the woods. Sipping on a bourbon and coke right now sitting by the fireplace. Got a few friends going to a restaurant tonight but just didn't have it in me to get out. So 2017 going out on a whimper......but that's ok.

Looking forward to the college playoff games tomorrow and pleased that my school won the Gator bowl yesterday. Hopefully 2018 will be great for everyone here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom