What did you do today? 2018 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that all I did yesterday was drive!!

My GF and myself were at her cabin since Wednesday and had planned to come back Friday night. We ended up staying overnight and came back Saturday morning...a 100 km trip.

Later in the day, I drove 160 km to play an outdoor gig on the beach at a festival. It was hot and humid...33C (91F) with a heat index of 42C (108F). 2 of the band members are active in the local cottage community and this was our 3rd year playing at the festival.

After the gig I drove 170 km back to meet my GF who was at a barbeque that was outside the city...but at the opposite side of where I lived, of course, then we drove 50 km back to my place.

Total distance covered...480 kms!!

Not today but Friday... no hot water at cottage when got up there. Had worked the week before. Couldn't see any issues with electrical or power vent. Propane unit. 16 years old so of course HVAC company saying it might be done and if replaced venting would need to be changed due to code changes. I'm a little leery about messing with gas appliances. Middle of nowhere so going to be $400 even to get it looked at. Set up an appointment for 10 days down the road - no hot water at cottage in summer for almost 2 weeks with DD and her girlfriends all going up next weekend. lol. So decided to give it a go. Water heaters must be about the simplest thing going. Thermostatic control, sensor, burner, big tank that gets flamed. So one would think they should be bullet proof. It looked to me like thermostat was ok as the thing cycled on, lit and then turned off. Would do that twice and then thermostat would give up and signal an error. I figured it was likely the sensor and I'd be snookered. So turned off the gas, pulled out the burner. I could see that there was the usual pile of rust in the base of the water heater. Cleaned that out. What surprised was that when I took the burner out and rotated it around on its edge basically fine sand size rust particles poured out of all of the jets. So a good roll around and a few taps and rolls and I put it back in. Wiped the sensor down for good measure. Closed it up, gas on et voila! Back in business. I suspect that the venturis near the flame sensor were plugged so the thermostat was not registering the flame and shut down gas flow due to the risk of incomplete combustion. Eye opener that the burner is not stainless steel. Planned obsolescence.

So after that triumph. Put in a new kitchen faucet.

Went to a scattering of ashes and a wake. 15 people in 3 fishing boats. Widow scattering ashes and bait fish, the rest of us scattering flowers in deceased's favorite fishing spots. Then a food and drink layout at the house.

In the "Time flies" department:

When I went to the store this morning I was stunned to see a guy driving a Mazda Miata with a "Historical Vehicle" license plate. It was in great condition -- looked brand new. :facepalm:

You know you're old when you go to antique car shows and say, "I had that car!" "I had that one!" "We had that when we were kids." etc.

Helped my brother in law harvest his banana field, he took them to the market and sold them to a vendor, the whole lot for $7 usd

24v09zk.jpg

You know you're old when you go to antique car shows and say, "I had that car!" "I had that one!" "We had that when we were kids." etc.

I did that at the Air and Space Museum at Dulles with stuff I had worked on when my kids were about 11 and 12. :LOL: I think they figured out their dad was really ancient!

I had a dental appointment this morning. I'd broken a tooth a couple months ago and had it checked out. It's only chipped, no crown needed!

Before I left DW was running the vacuum with the powerhead on. Our Maltese doesn't like it and attacks. Today he got his long beautiful tail caught in it. His tail was jammed up inside it and he wasn't happy. DW held the head so I could turn it backwards to release his tail. Of course there's nothing to keep him from biting me[emoji23] . Poor little guy, his tail is half of it's former glory. See if he attacks the powerhead next time.

Stopped at the gym on the way home for some cardio. When I went home DW wanted to go fo a walk. Nice day.

Last edited:
I spent part of the morning pulling carpet off the stairway. I finished half; the new carpet won’t be installed until next week so there’s no need to hurry.

I spent the afternoon relaxing on the beach and lake. I needed a recovery day after two river trips over the weekend. Usually, my role on the river is to lead the rafts and show them the lines. It’s the least physically taxing role. But last weekend I filled a different role that required a lot more physical exertion. It felt good, but I’m a little tired today.

Got up early to get a load moved to the new house before the heat of the day set in.

Managed by myself to get a 150cm wide queen mattress into the back of a Rav4 that is 125cm across... :angel: Had to drive with my seat all the way forward but hey, it's a hobby... :facepalm:

Got the rest of the bed disassembled and squeezed in as well and a box in the passenger seat. Box was heavy enough that it set of the seat belt warning chime and the light blinked all the way there... :cool:

Have arrived at w*rk for a rest.... :LOL:

Started a new exercise program. Also starting to make a new headboard for the bed in our guest bedroom. Got my first haircut since early March. Playing around with Sketchup.

Slept late, checked the internet, and so on. Later I got my delivery of meats including extra steaks that I was expecting. The weather is ghastly hot (90F-94F at that time), and the Fedex man must have been tip-toeing because I didn't hear anything and did not find the box of meat on my porch until it had been there for two hours. No harm done, though, since it was still nicely frozen as hard as a rock. The dry ice was about gone. :LOL:

After I finished putting the meats in my freezer, F called and we went to lunch together. I ordered a cup of very spicy seafood and corn chowder, and he had a big pasta and marinara dish of some sort. Now he is off at his part time fun retirement job doing sound and lights for musicians down in the Quarter. As for me, I took a long, delightful shower, and then explored youtube for a while in my favorite, comfortable, maroon Italian leather easy chair and ended up taking an accidental nap. It's a rough life, I tell you! :2funny: Pretty soon I am going to grill the ribeye that I left out of the freezer and I am really looking forward to it.

In other words, "What did I do today? Nothing, really." Absolutely perfect.

Helped DW’s friend move. Took apart her pergola at the old house and reinstalled it at the new place. Had a hard time keeping up with the college age guys that did most of the heavy furniture lifting.

Went to the big weekend market, they call it the market fair, they come in droves from the neighboring villages for their shopping, it’s the “go to” market in the area

29kuv4m.jpg

246ng9w.jpg

1zyj9sp.jpg

1znbs7n.jpg

Went out with DW to do an introductory R/C flying lesson with my cousin's grandsons. Everybody had fun, but I'd forgotten how short the attention span is for the younger ones. Apologies for the blurred photo, but DW tends to "punch" the shutter (yes, I've shown her, talked to her, etc.) and that results in having to throw out half her shots. But the blurred one is the only one with both people and an airplane in the frame.

We used a wireless "Buddy Box" system in which the student has his own transmitter but I can take over instantly by moving the instructor's sticks or flipping a switch. It works well. Lots of turbulence made it more difficult for them than it would have been on a calm day.

Attachments

• buddy box flying (1 of 2).jpg
    buddy box flying (1 of 2).jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 40
  • buddy box flying (2 of 2).jpg
    buddy box flying (2 of 2).jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 38
The good part was I went to a summer social of the Daughters of the American Revolution. The tough part is I returned a call tonight to a friend who retired years ago. I had worked with both her and her spouse at one time in my career. Her husband came home for hospice today. He has lived a fine life. Many accomplishments. Today he was not conscious. He is a good man. I plan to visit soon.

read through two share placement offers

apart from medical appointments and shopping trips , life is not permitted to get more exciting for the next two years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom